HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much blame do you give Lundqvist for the shootout loss?

View Poll Results: How much blame do you give lundqvist on the SO loss?
None -- He was great 87 66.41%
25% 25 19.08%
50% 10 7.63%
75% 3 2.29%
All of it -- He shouldn't have let 2 goals in 6 4.58%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-24-2010, 02:27 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
...and if he let "just stopped" the shots on those first 2 giveaways there wouldn't be any shootout. Also, I've never seen Roszival's good hands that you're talking about. Scoring goals in any situation is by far the weakest part of his game in my eyes.

Overall, I blame the shooters for not realizing that Ellis was coming out to challenge them and poke checking every single time. All any of them had to do was get some elevation on their shots. I get that it's easier said than done but nobody looked like they got even close. That was sad. Also, nobody tries to fake slap shot the guy. That move probably plays over and over in his nightmares after the Omark goal. Someone should have tried it.

At the end of the day Hank was fine and like others have said, he's on pace to repeat his usual numbers this year. He's great. They lost in a gimmick competition to a great team. It happens. They also played very well and Stepan continued to score clutch goals. Those two things are more important to me than whether or not Hank was good stopping 9 SO attempts.
Roszival had a really good penalty shot goal in LA in 2008. There's no quality video of it on YouTube otherwise I'd post the link.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I think lundqvist needs to be better. This is what seperates him from Richter. Richter was far more consistent, and more reliable. You knew he was gonna make the big save when you need him to. Penalty shot against Bure in Vancouver ring a bell? I laugh when people say lundqvist is better than richter.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:38 PM
clmetsfan

Less than 25%, but more than 0.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Richter35 View Post
I think lundqvist needs to be better. This is what seperates him from Richter. Richter was far more consistent, and more reliable. You knew he was gonna make the big save when you need him to. Penalty shot against Bure in Vancouver ring a bell? I laugh when people say lundqvist is better than richter.
like how Richter gave up a goal to Claude Lemieux with a minute to go in game 1 of the 1994 ECF for the Rangers to lose it? Or how in game 7 in the ECF he gave up a goal with 7.7 seconds left to give up the lead?

Richter was a rebound machine. He was a great goalie, but he gave up his fair share of softies too.

Henriks career GAA and SV% are better than Richters...by a good amount too. Henrik has more shutouts than Richter in 1/2 the games played. Richter also had a team with some pretty ridiculous talent in front of him when they won the SC....

Henrik>Richter. and, after all is said and done, i dont think it will even be close. Winning the SC is not a way you should judge a player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with Inferno. Richter was great but he usually let up bad rebounds that he could not recover from. He consistently put up 20 wins, but very few of those were shutouts. And after 1997 it just got worse.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The Answer is 0 it is a freaking shills show nothing more. he did his job very well not his fault the dummies tried to deak 11 times and not shoot. Great job hank

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The Answer is 0 it is a freaking shills show nothing more. he did his job very well not his fault the dummies tried to deak 11 times and not shoot. Great job hank
Yeah, I didn't like watching Dan friggin Ellis make the SAME save over and over.

I think maybe, just maybe, the coaches disdain for the shootout rubs off on his young team at times.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
what? he made like 9 saves in a row.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:09 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Yes, we notice you not capitalizing Lundqvist.
I laugh at your post.
Please don't associate with Richter anymore, he's my favorite non current goalie ever...pick a Rozsival avatar and figure out how to spell Rozsival for your username. Don't forget to capitalize.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:37 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
like how Richter gave up a goal to Claude Lemieux with a minute to go in game 1 of the 1994 ECF for the Rangers to lose it? Or how in game 7 in the ECF he gave up a goal with 7.7 seconds left to give up the lead?

Richter was a rebound machine. He was a great goalie, but he gave up his fair share of softies too.

Henriks career GAA and SV% are better than Richters...by a good amount too. Henrik has more shutouts than Richter in 1/2 the games played. Richter also had a team with some pretty ridiculous talent in front of him when they won the SC....

Henrik>Richter. and, after all is said and done, i dont think it will even be close. Winning the SC is not a way you should judge a player.
While I don't disagree with your overall point, you can't compare goalies of different eras by GAA and SV%. It's just not fair to the goalies of the past. Equipment changes, rule changes, officiating changes, etc. are inconsistent from era to era, and today's goalies have it easier than ever before. The early part of Richter's career was in a much more offense-centric league than now. Consider 1992-93 when there were 5 guys who hit the 60 goal mark, and Beezer was 5th in a league with a 90.0 SV%.

Look at the career SV% leaders:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ct_career.html

The top 20, with the exception of Patrick Roy, are active or have retired in the past three years. Marty Biron has a better career SV% than Roy, Belfour, CuJo, Potvin, Fuhr, Beezer....

Last edited by clmetsfan: 12-24-2010 at 04:43 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Zero percent.

I blame the people who came up with the idea of a gimmick to decide who wins a game.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 05:08 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
The irony is killing me. Did you even read MY post than? The one that says his statistics for the season are pretty much on par with his season averages and that at times he hasn't looked his sharpest, but at times he's been lights out? The part that says we're doing very well in the standings and that win/loss records are a team effort? Obviously, all of that was only addressing last night.

The fact of the matter is YOUR post is a knee jerk reaction. Nothing more... because ON THE SEASON, Henrik is virtually the same Henrik he's always been. He's sporting a marginally higher GAA (.11) behind a VERY limited defense... After Staal/Girardi we have a veteran that by your own standards is a dufus, two defensively deficient sophomores, a rookie and a bottom pair journeyman. Sure, Sauer and Eminger have given us some quality minutes, but that's only quality relative to the expectations that are upon them, which are relatively low. Henrik is playing behind a fairly thin defense and putting up virtually the same numbers as his career averages so how ON EARTH could he no longer be elite if he's the same? Either he never has been, or he still is.

Moreover, it must feel great to be the only genius cheering for the Rangers at HFboards. I mean, people hardly EVER agree with you and the poll in this thread has 90% of everyone who voted placing no blame on Henrik whatsoever - it must be nice being able to see things the average man cannot. Convincing yourself that you're right all of the time no matter how much your peers disagree... delusional.
Amen to that. BTW, the skates are awesome haha.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

he should have stopped one of the 2 goals but i say only 25%

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:52 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Truth!....I love Mike Richter, if you asked me what goalie I want to stop 1 shot in one game for the stanley cup, I probably take Ricky, but If you want the guy with better positioning, better rebound control and more consistency, It's Hank all the way.

To be honest, the two guys aren't even comparable, Richter was loose, athletic and had a sick glove. Hank is deep in the net, positional and effecient in his movement.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

So don't get me wrong here because I love Lundy and want him to be a career ranger.

He's the greatest thing on this team since messier and if he wins a cup here will likely be the greatest rangers goalie of all time.

Anyways, I chose 75%. I think Lundy was great in the shootout, but the reason i give this amount of blame is because the first two goals that he let in were straight, point blank shots. If he doesn't let one of those 2 in, we win the game.

Now, had he given up 2 at random points, similiar to the washington shootout (malik) then I would say w/e he was awesome. But lundy needs to stop one of those two and allow our top 3 to get a WIN.

We all know rangers aren't big on the shootout and advocate against it, with torts wanting wins any other way. Therefore there top 3 guys are the ones who need to get the win done with lundy.

That being said, i really couldn't care less, skills contest is a pile of **** that should have never been allowed to be part of a regular season or playoff game.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:23 PM
broadwayblue

We lost in 11 rounds and you are suggesting the goalie is responsible????

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:29 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I want people to name one bad goal Richter ever gave up in an important game.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
I want people to name one bad goal Richter ever gave up in an important game.
Ronnie Francis from center ice in the 1992 playoffs against the Pens, when the Rangers were winning.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Zero. even less, about -300. How many saves does he have to make??!~?!

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Ronnie Francis from center ice in the 1992 playoffs against the Pens, when the Rangers were winning.
Lol weren't you -4 years old then?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:48 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Lol weren't you -4 years old then?
Yes, but I know of it. NHL Network ftw.

BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 12:34 AM
arunnair87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Roszival had a really good penalty shot goal in LA in 2008. There's no quality video of it on YouTube otherwise I'd post the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5vEnKjnV4Y

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:51 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
thanks for finding and posting that

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 02:12 AM
racer90

honestly, since hank didn't give up any SO goals from the side... 0% fault

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rozy would lead the league in assists if we counted his giveaways.

rozy is a dufus.

and this may be very unpopular to say but henrik is beggining to worry me. has he reached his peak ? have we seen the best of lundqvist?

is the off ice, non-hockey related stuff like his amazing lifestyle becoming his focus rather than hockey ? is he more about being hank then being the starting goalie for the nyr ??

hes easlily upset, shows alot of emotion and reactions on the ice, he still seems to make the same mistakes and contiunues to be prone to bad goals at bad times.

and for the first time in a long times, i dont feel hes carrying the team, in fact, i think the team has been hurt by hank a few more times than usual and thats a concern.

im beginning to wonder. I STILL BELIEVE HES ONE OF THE BEST. but....

last nights save % was .875 not very good.

3.35 gaa .889 last 2 games

14-12-1 2.47 gaa .918 for the season is just so-so

is hank no longer elite ?
First off, as someone mentioned above, he is practically right on his career pace with GAA and SV%. Second, when you as a goalie play 70 games a season for the past 4 seasons (he played 285 out of 328 possible games in the past 4 seasons) you are bound to be slightly inconsistent. Not to mention, the defense in front of him is terrible. I can't imagine what he would do in front of a better team than this. Also, in the two games before the last two, he was .982. According to your logic, he is elite then, because he had two incredible games.
And I think I'm gonna stop writing now cause I'm so tired that I have no idea what the point I was trying to make was :p

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote