HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan giving Rangers Christmas presence

Old
12-25-2010, 07:28 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Stepan giving Rangers Christmas presence

Quote:
The Rangers are not getting Brad Richards, the Star in the middle, this season. The Broadway star in the middle is Derek Stepan, the 20-year-old man-child whose ceiling appears limitless.

And just think that over the summer, it was Ryan McDonagh and not Stepan who was the Badger that was going to make every day a great day for hockey at the Garden.

But all it took was one day of training camp -- seriously, one day -- to recognize the Rangers were going to have themselves something special in Stepan.
LB also talked about the 2004 draft.

Quote:
So if the Rangers had claimed Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan with their two first-round selections in 2004, would that Entry Draft be celebrated in franchise history as a two-run homer?
Quote:
You grade it the same way, because it's not every year a team walks away from the table with a pair of cornerstones.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...cBSI7n4JBlcWTM

Merry Christmas everyone.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 07:56 AM
ruckus*

"If I'm the coach, then I want Gaborik to play the same way he has played throughout his career, by the way, and I am focused on ensuring he is put in the best possible position to succeed, not so consumed with telling everybody almost every day that, "The onus is on Gabby."'

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz198xSEBJS

Boy wouldn't that be a novel idea, coach. Instead of, you know, only having a chance to make the playoffs because he carries your team on his back, and then throwing him under the bus after a team wide disappointment in game 82.

He's five off the team lead in goals in 14 less games played.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's been great, but the coach's constant underhand jabs at Gabby are really obnoxious.

But that's okay coach. All the kiddies on this web site react to things emotionally too and love the fact you take shots constantly at your best player. Keep on' keepin' on.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
"If I'm the coach, then I want Gaborik to play the same way he has played throughout his career, by the way, and I am focused on ensuring he is put in the best possible position to succeed, not so consumed with telling everybody almost every day that, "The onus is on Gabby."'

Boy wouldn't that be a novel idea, coach. Instead of, you know, only having a chance to make the playoffs because he carries your team on his back, and then throwing him under the bus after a team wide disappointment in game 82.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you he's been great, but the coach's constant underhand jabs at Gabby are really obnoxious.

But that's okay coach. All the kiddies on this web site react to things emotionally too and love the fact you take shots constantly at your best player. Keep on' keepin' on.
Is this not an emotional reaction?

Whatever the fans think has zero bearing on how a coach handles his team, and further more zero bearing on how management assess Torts' performance.

Why do you need to take shots at other posters here?

12-25-2010, 08:45 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
So if the Rangers had claimed Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan with their two first-round selections in 2004, would that Entry Draft be celebrated in franchise history as a two-run homer?
That's still true. Those picks ended up great in Cally and Dubi. Knowing the players they are now, I wonder what they would have been picked.

qwertyaas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:12 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
Is this not an emotional reaction?

Whatever the fans think has zero bearing on how a coach handles his team, and further more zero bearing on how management assess Torts' performance.

Why do you need to take shots at other posters here?

Am I singling someone out that I'm unaware of?

The point is that there's a reason Torts is endearing to a portion of the fan base. Because of his ridiculous prodding and off color comments that so many fans are quick to throw out there.

You can expect that from casual fans when Gaborik doesn't score for a few games they start cursing his name and posting threads about what the hell is wrong with said player, but for a coach to constantly have that mentality with a player who has carried his team on his back is just wrong IMO.

Torts seems to have this set way about him when it comes to certain players. Avery and Gabby fall into that lot those players he loves to take shots at. I'm not going to be surprised if Hank gets thrown in there next if he continues to play below the level that we've all been accustomed to seeing from him.

But if you're Brandon Prust you're off limits from criticism. (And yes, I love Prust and this team as a whole...just have no idea what Torts' deal is when it comes to his comments about players.)

I quoted Brooks' part in the article because I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices it constantly and thinks it's ridiculous.

Old
12-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Can't imagine what type of player he (Steps) is going to be when he's in his prime. Kid playing against grown men and making plays. I feel like a jackass for advocating we send him down couple of weeks ago.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:42 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Can't imagine what type of player he (Steps) is going to be when he's in his prime. Kid playing against grown men and making plays. I feel like a jackass for advocating we send him down couple of weeks ago.
Everyone here that's posted more than 10x has made the same mistake about something/someone. Don't feel too badly.

I, for one, wanted Boyle gone in September. Whoops.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

From hat tricks against two of the worst teams in the league.

If we want to go anywhere Gaborik needs to play like Gaborik, and there's no way to beat around that fact.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 11:33 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
That's still true. Those picks ended up great in Cally and Dubi. Knowing the players they are now, I wonder what they would have been picked.
Prust over Dubinsky and Versteeg over Callahan

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 11:47 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
IMO, with a working time machine, Dubi goes around #20 and Cally goes around #30.

Really, beyond the top 15-20, its hard to find any players i would take over them.

As it worked out, we got two players that turned into 1st round picks in terms of quality.

edit ~ note: Only 9 players have more points than Dubi from the 2004 draft.

Last edited by skroob**: 12-25-2010 at 12:01 PM.
skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Levitate

Wasn't Brooks one of the people talking about how disappointed the Rangers were after Stepan had a mediocre preseason game and it became "clear that he wouldn't be able to step in right away as the teams first line center"?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
IMO, with a working time machine, Dubi goes around #20 and Cally goes around #30.

Really, beyond the top 15-20, its hard to find any players i would take over them.

As it worked out, we got two players that turned into 1st round picks in terms of quality.

edit ~ note: Only 9 players have more points than Dubi from the 2004 draft.
Players that would be taken before Dubi:
Ovechkin
Malkin
Streit
Franzén (likely drafted a few years prior in this scenario )
Edler
Green
Krejci

Players taken around Dubi:
Wolski
Booth
Ladd
Zajac
Stafford
Meszaros
Bolland
Goligoski

I've surely missed some players and/or made faulty assumptions but Dubinsky is likely a 10-15 pick and Callahan probably in the 15-25 range.

Blue Blooded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

so during Lundqvist draft year would he be a first overall pick??? or would he be a top 10 pick.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
so during Lundqvist draft year would he be a first overall pick??? or would he be a top 10 pick.
Rick DP and MAF were the only 1st overall pick goalies. I'd say hes more like a 0th round pick.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:40 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Thinking more into it, would've been quite smart to use Avery in that shootout.

Maybe he pots one and gets off this epic goal scoring slump he's on.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Am I singling someone out that I'm unaware of?

The point is that there's a reason Torts is endearing to a portion of the fan base. Because of his ridiculous prodding and off color comments that so many fans are quick to throw out there.

You can expect that from casual fans when Gaborik doesn't score for a few games they start cursing his name and posting threads about what the hell is wrong with said player, but for a coach to constantly have that mentality with a player who has carried his team on his back is just wrong IMO.

Torts seems to have this set way about him when it comes to certain players. Avery and Gabby fall into that lot those players he loves to take shots at. I'm not going to be surprised if Hank gets thrown in there next if he continues to play below the level that we've all been accustomed to seeing from him.

But if you're Brandon Prust you're off limits from criticism. (And yes, I love Prust and this team as a whole...just have no idea what Torts' deal is when it comes to his comments about players.)

I quoted Brooks' part in the article because I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices it constantly and thinks it's ridiculous.
Well that coach's approach turned Lecavilier from an intitled primadonna into a hard working and dedicated star. You might not like his methods but you can't knock his success. I couldn't stand the Tom Renney 'best friends' approach and I think we are seeing a much different, much more accountable and effective team with Tortorella's tough love. This is probably the first team in 13 years that doesn't roll over and accept punishment and disrespect. I peg that squarely on Tortorella's methods and his choices for role models in the lockerroom.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brooklyns View Post
So where, if at all, at the moment does Mats Zuccarello fit into Tortorella's mix, on a second line with Artem Anisimov and Alex Frolov while Chris Drury shifts to the fourth line with Sean Avery and Erik Christensen?

If not there, where, assuming Marian Gaborik returns on Monday to face the Islanders?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz199orkQDD

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...cBSI7n4JBlcWTM
Wouldn't it all work out if the Rangers dealt away Frolov and Prospal? I would much rather seen Zucca there than either of those two.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
From hat tricks against two of the worst teams in the league.

If we want to go anywhere Gaborik needs to play like Gaborik, and there's no way to beat around that fact.

Absolutely. I'm not disagreeing that Gaborik hasn't played his best, or that we need him to perform. I'm not even entirely questioning Torts' method. My problem is more with the timing of it. He was quick to call Gabby out after his return. His calling him out after the last game of the year last season was embarrassing.

And in typical Torts fashion he's a complete hypocrite with it. He's the one who won't keep the lines consistent for more than two games with Gabby, and yet even if the lines play well he bails because Gabby isn't finishing. Has Gabby played great? No. But he's had his chances, he's just not burying them. The people on this message board who want to start threads about him being invisible are just ridiculous. He's Marian Gaborik. He's a goal scorer. Obviously if he's not finishing he's going to be pretty much invisible. It's not like he's Callahan and suddenly we're not noticing him. A guy like Gabby is going to start finishing again. It's just a matter of time. And anyone who has had a shoulder injury like that knows that even though he's "healthy" it takes a while to really feel like yourself again.

So Torts keeps switching things up when it's clear that Gabby wants consistent linemates. Then Torts keeps switching it even if the line plays well but just doesn't capitalize and then criticizes Gabby for not being able to keep his own linemates.

It just seems counter productive IMO.

We're not talking about a star player acting like a prima-donna or not working hard. To me it's more of a I'm-the-boss-here thing from Torts.

I just don't think it's justified.

Old
12-25-2010, 08:43 PM
polako

Totally agree with ruckus. Torts should be putting ALL, not just some, of his players in the best positions to succeed.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 09:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Totally agree with ruckus. Torts should be putting ALL, not just some, of his players in the best positions to succeed.
So what is he supposed to do differently? Which players is Tortorella supposed to skate with Gaborik and leave together even when they don't show any chemistry or produce much offense?

What I like about Tortorella is he doesn't pamper Gaborik... He puts responsibility on him to create offense, independent of his linemates.... Which is correct... Gaborik is a big boy and a seasoned player... Whether he's playing with Stepan or Christensen, he needs to take some responsibility and make plays out there.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-25-2010 at 09:05 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So what is he supposed to do differently? Which players is Tortorella supposed to skate with Gaborik and leave together even when they don't show any chemistry or produce much offense?

What I like about Tortorella is he doesn't pamper Gaborik... He puts responsibility on him to create offense, independent of his linemates.... Which is correct... Gaborik is a big boy and a seasoned player... Whether he's playing with Stepan or Christensen, he needs to take some responsibility and make plays out there.
Bolded doesn't jive with the team concept Tortorella is always talking about. It also ignores the fact that a) chemistry does exist and b) it isn't like Gaborik hasn't been in scoring positions. The guy is in a slump and it's not from lack of effort. Slumps do happen. Changing linemates every game doesn't help him break out of it, it only hurts him.

Gaborik needs to be playing with Dubinsky and Anisimov every game while Callahan is out, simple as that. They showed decent chemistry in the all-too-brief stint they played together and we already know that Dubinsky can be a boon to elite talent.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 09:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Back to the main topic...

Stepan gave me a Christmas present from his play, too. It was a tent.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 09:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Gaborik needs to be playing with Dubinsky and Anisimov every game while Callahan is out, simple as that. They showed decent chemistry in the all-too-brief stint they played together and we already know that Dubinsky can be a boon to elite talent.

So then the Rangers become a one-trick pony.... He has to try and keep the offense balanced or else the Rangers are too easy to match up against...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:44 PM
TrollololBoyle

I rapidly skimmed through all the threads, and clicked another thread, as I was in the middle of reading the title of this one. I thought this thread title was "Stepan giving Rangers Powerplay advice"... don't mind me, Xmas has been exhausting the past two days.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:45 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Back to the main topic...

Stepan gave me a Christmas present from his play, too. It was a tent.

I had a White Christmas in my pants.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote