HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Why do I continue to cheer for this team?

Old
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead103 View Post
i can see this team move in two or three years......

Nah. Not gonna happen.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
hate to bust the bubble....
its gonna be hard for the flames to look for local/provinicial/federal monies to get a new arena....
i can see this team move in two or three years.....if the ownership refuses to upgrade this team...from the scouts to darryl sutter's head....
You honestly see another city on this planet that would want this crap team as is? This really is Ken King isn't it?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
what if calgary fans stopped going to the games, stop paying for season tickets and merchandise, since the product on the ice is so bad........and flames ownership may turn around by saying "since we can't make it here in calgary, and the fans aren't paying tickets and the feds/provincials won't give us public money we need get a new arena, maybe we pick up and move to a US city with a modern arena (philips arena if the thrashers move to winnipeg or KC sprint center in kansas city)...

i think this will happen in two years....
It's already been well proven here in Calgary that the fans will pay for a winning product. Hell, this team sucks and people still go. Not happening.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:36 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaphilly View Post
Yes, this is my first thread. That should easily mean that I am not a Flames fan or plan to bash the team. Makes real sense . My friend, I was born and raised in Calgary, lived through all the good times, and the not so good times. The Flames are a team I grew up with and have been parading every moment I can. Hell, I even worked at the Saddledome as an usher for 5 seasons (getting paid $5.75/hr) just so I can watch the games live.

My reason for this thread was simply to see what other fellow Flames fans thought about the direction of this club. Living in Toronto, its tough to talk to anyone about anything that is not Blue or White, or which team won the Phaneauf trade, etc.

Maybe I should have uploaded a photo of Bearcat Murray or Lanny holding the cup, in order for you to not get your panties in a knot.

But hey...It's only my first thread
Welcome to the board.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:46 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:

its gonna be hard for the flames to look for local/provinicial/federal monies to get a new arena....

i can see this team move in two or three years.....if the ownership refuses to upgrade this team...from the scouts to darryl sutter's head....
WOW!!..just WOW!... I seriously hope you don't believe this bull****

It's scary to think that there are people like you walking around every day.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Oblivion

I've been fortunate the past few years that I've liked both the the team, in the sense the players and personnel that were the Calgary Flames and the team, in the sense of the abstract concept that is the Calgary Flames (i.e. the guys that wear the red jerseys and play in the Saddledome).

Recently, I've found myself disagreeing with many of the decisions that the Sutters have made in regards to the personnel, mostly the players they've been bringing in and at this point I more closely identify with the abstract concept that is the team moreso than the players.

I don't particularly care for all the new guys and the big changes; but I don't foresee anyway that I'd come to terms with cheering for anyone else primarily because I like the Flames (again the abstract concept).

That's why I cheer for the Flames anyways.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
bigchief12

Why do I continue to cheer for this team? Because I like hockey and having a hometown NHL team to cheer for is cool IMO, no matter how bad they are currently playing. Most fans say that Calgary has no chance of winning the cup but they have an infinitely better chance than...Saskatoon, Winnepeg, Hamilton etc.

I moved to Calgary in '89 and the fact that the NHL was just a C train ride away for 40ish games a year was a pretty cool realization. I was not a Flames fan at the time but adopted them quickly and after Iggy came onboard, I was hook, line, and sinker a Flames fan for life. They weren't too good through the young gun era and they seem to be on a down trend again but it's better than having no team at all and when the wins do come, they feel really good and I can't help but jump up and cheer no matter how far apart they are. When they don't win, I can cheer the goals, when they don't score, I can cheer the hits, when they don't hit, I can cheer the effort, when there is no effort, I can cheer Kipper, when there is no Kipper, I will find some other reason to cheer for my home team because.... I can?

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:17 AM
papaphilly

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Welcome to the board.
Cheers man

papaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
flames123

D. Sutter should go but B. Sutter has implemented a good system (or so I am lead to believe) and the only problem is the players implementing it. The problem is with the players themselves, and the person that assembled said team should be in the hot seat.

I still do believe Jokinen was a decent signing as he brings very good speed (something we lack) and size. If we had traded Phaneuf for a better, faster, younger forward than Stajan/Hagman I think this team would be in a completely different place.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:26 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:

Ken King has already said that public funding isn't necessary for them to build a new arena. The Flames will try to get some funding but if they don't I'm sure they won't pout and whine about it like the Oilers.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Lunatik*

Why do I continue??

It's simple...

If you cut me I bleed a C of Red

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
CoRD
Rebizzle my Flizzle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Why do I continue??

It's simple...

If you cut me I bleed a C of Red
You might wanna see a doctor about that.

Just kidding man! Merry Christmas!!

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote