HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Roy out, need a center -- how to chose??

Old
12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
vadox6466

vCash: 500
Roy out, need a center -- how to chose??

Ok guys, help me out, because I'm stuck..

I'm playing in a small, 4-player league that counts only goals and assists (each worth one point). An additional two points are given for each hat trick or shorthanded goal, but those are so rare as to not make much of an impact. League is only for this year.

Roy was injured last night, and is out for 4-6 months now. I need a new center to pick up. Alternatively, I can move Marleau from a LW to C position and grab a new LW for the empty spot, but the free agent centers are generally stronger. My best options right now are:

Tomas Plekanec: 29pt in 34 games
Mike Ribiero: 29pt in 35 games
Mikko Koivu: 28pt in 32 games

and, as a LW:
James Neal: 29pt in 34 games.

Is there any way to make the "better" choice? All these players are, statistically, exactly the same. Koivu's played less games, so has more of an opportunity to produce in the future. Neal and Ribiero play on the same team, but I think Neal is on the first line while Ribiero centers the second. Plekanec is also on the top line in Montreal, and while Montreal is a top team in the East, I'm not sure how much fire power they have altogether.

I'm leaning towards either Koivu or Plekanec, mostly because Ribiero is a 2nd liner and his production has trailed off a little in the past month, while Neal is less of a proven option so far because he's so young (he can go either way in his production: keep at the same pace, dip down, or rip it up in the latter months).

Looks like there's no real way to make the "wrong" choice here, but there's definitely the possibility of making a "better" choice. We won't know until the end of the season, but does anybody have any input which way I should go?

vadox6466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:46 PM
jarek

Mikko Koivu.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Go with Ribs over Neal if you do. Neal for some reason sees time only on the 2nd PP unit while Ribeiro gets first PP times. Also Ribs kills penalties more leaving more opportunity for SHP.

I'd take Koivu or Ribeiro, but probably Ribeiro as he's on the better team.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:51 AM
RonTextall

Send a message via Skype™ to RonTextall
Koivu is the only one with a SHP this year so you're right, not much of a factor.

I agree with UnHolyPrince - it's a toss up between Koivu and Ribeiro but I'd go with Ribeiro since he plays on a better team.

RonTextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Leafs4life1996

If I was you, I would go with Mikko Koivu

Leafs4life1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
jarek

Ribeiro plays 2nd line minutes on a better team.. Koivu's on the top line, it's a pretty obvious Koivu for me as I said.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote