HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT New Orleans? Memphis? Louisville? Salt Lake? Richmond, VA? Norfolk?

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2010, 01:27 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
You're correct. And some precedence set by the NHL is Anaheim. Ducks Ownership didn't pay a single extra cent to invade Los Angeles' territory.
That's incorrect. Of the $50 million expansion fee, $25 million went to the Kings. It was McNall's idea because he needed the money.

selected passages from L.A. TIMES, May 31, 2003:
Quote:
Figuring that $25 million was $25 million -- whether it came from Green or Eisner -- and anticipating the NHL would embrace the marketing talent of Disney, McNall began selling Eisner on the virtues of the league.

The expansion fee was $50 million, plus the $25-million territorial fee.

No way, Eisner said.

McNall eventually negotiated a total fee of $50 million -- $25 million to the league and $25 million to him. The owners were placated because McNall got Wayne Huizenga, head of Blockbuster Video, to also come in as owner of a new Florida franchise.

"I figured any money I could get would stem the bloodletting," said McNall, now a movie executive with Fine Arts Entertainment after serving four years in prison for bank fraud. "And I thought, if we could get Disney in our league, what a coup that would be. What a huge coup."

Eisner declined to be interviewed for this story, but during their phone call, McNall said Eisner told him, "You thought of the idea of the Ducks. It was your concept. You were the father of the whole idea."

Old
12-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
As an aside, what are peoples thoughts about what the franchise would be in a city like Winnipeg? Should they be given the old Jets identity back, or should they have to become the Winnipeg Moose (for example) like Atlanta and Minnesota had to do when getting teams back?

It seems wrong for a Winnipeg team to exist and the Jets not being in the league, but I say the Jets are in Phoenix now and barring relocation, Winnipeg should have a fresh identity.
This is a pretty common topic when the potential for another team is discussed here in Winnipeg.

Personally, I'm all for the return of the Jets. Obviously any name would be OK, as long as we get a team, but the name "Jets" has a lot of significance with Winnipeggers, and I think keeping the old name for a new team would generate a lot of positive feeling toward the new franchise.

I think if we get the Coyotes (which should happen, if there is any justice in the universe), the team will almost have to be called the "Jets," but if some other team relocates here or if we get an expansion team, I suppose there's a good argument to be made for starting fresh.

Again, I'd prefer "Jets," and I think TNSE would be doing a disservice to the Winnipeg fans if they called a new team anything else, but I'm not going to complain too loudly. Getting the NHL team is more important than the name.

Old
12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
PookDo

My Wife's family is from New Orleans. I'm not sure the franchise would be successful but I would be more inclined to move there like she wants to if it had an NHL team

Closed Thread