HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs enter Christmas on a one game win streak!

Old
12-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
He had two skilled forwards to start the year
For two games. And let's not forget Gionta didn't start strong either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Or you could say that it started after he was out of the line up for 2 games.
Right, that surely is the more likely reason. We could put Moen back there and he'd get another 8pts in his 5GP.
Let's do that and put MaxPac-Eller-Pouliot! Yaa!!

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Whatever you say; I have my grudges against old, inefficient, undriven players. I guess that's hating.

Gomez personifies untapped talent. I like the guy, he has skill, he has a top gear and he's a playoff performer but he's been mailing it in since he got the world's most ridiculous contract (nay, Jeff Finger @ 3.5) and it's been evident. He hasn't worked on his shot, he hasn't developed or innovated any other moves than the J-hook into the o-zone and he certainly stopped backchecking. Why should anybody "appreciate" him?

It won't hurt his feelings if a couple of fans on HFboards complain about him, trust me.

I want him to play well so it takes the stress off of Pleks and Eller. I want him to play well so he actually performs like a top6 centre. It's not blind hating if it's true. He's been scoring at a 56 pt/season rate for us - that's terrible!
It's true that Gomez doesn't have a great shot. Neither, for that matter, does Eller, who's become the flavor of the month. What most fans resent about Gomez is his inflated salary. It also doesn't help when he's compared with Plekanec, who's a better three-zone player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Whatever you say; I have my grudges against old, inefficient, undriven players. I guess that's hating.

Gomez personifies untapped talent. I like the guy, he has skill, he has a top gear and he's a playoff performer but he's been mailing it in since he got the world's most ridiculous contract (nay, Jeff Finger @ 3.5) and it's been evident. He hasn't worked on his shot, he hasn't developed or innovated any other moves than the J-hook into the o-zone and he certainly stopped backchecking. Why should anybody "appreciate" him?

It won't hurt his feelings if a couple of fans on HFboards complain about him, trust me.

I want him to play well so it takes the stress off of Pleks and Eller. I want him to play well so he actually performs like a top6 centre. It's not blind hating if it's true. He's been scoring at a 56 pt/season rate for us - that's terrible!
Actually, if you want to consider Gomez as a 2nd center (top 6), then you should know, last year there was only 31centers to score more than 56pts. So, if Gomez is a 2nd line center and he can provide in the 55ish pts, then it's actually a fairly good production for that role.
His salary is the only reason to dump on him really, but if you view him as a 2nd center, then his production doesn't deserve much criticism.
Sure, he had a slow start, but find me another 2nd line center in this league who's a playmaker and paired with one plugger that would produce much better.

The problem with Gomez is that due to his salary, people have a hard time accepting the fact he's nothing more than a 2nd line center.

And Eller has no stress, he's the least used player on our team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Which gives him a pace of 56pts on a regular 82 games season, nothing to brag about.
who's bragging? Gomez is what he is, a solid 50-60 pt center, that can setup plays, and has produced well in the playoffs. If people had more realistic expectations of what Gomez brings to the team despite his grossly overpaid contract, they likely wouldn't be so upset with him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote