HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Russian Fan's Habs Season Preview

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Russian Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Russian Fan's Habs Season Preview

It's a new era coming in MTL, after hearing those *infamous* 5 year plan by Reggie Houle & Andre Savard, it's now a new 5 year plan with our ex-superb captain of the glory day : BOB GAINEY.

2003-2004 is still a split decision between the management, on one side we hear our President Pierre Boivin said this team need to make the playoff & on the GM side Bob told the media that it's not a certainty that the Habs will make it but the progress of the team is the most important right now.

This summer came to a clash between some fans impatient to see some young blood with the team & others feel that this should try to get some big UFA's & put this team a step higher that the tradition used to show us.

This season should provide some answers to one of this biggest fan base of the NHL. Can the youngblood step up & be ready for the big show ? Hossa, Ward, Ryder, Ribeiro, Komisarek, Hainsey will have chance to prove that they can do good thing for the club in the present time & most of all for the future.

GOALTENDING : B+

Jose Theodore : start the season as the clear #1 but will it stay the same at the end of the year ? Theodore is probably the only piece the Habs can trade if they want something big in return. But right now , there no sign of rumors & Jose showed in the pre-season that the family affairs are personnal & the hockey is to be professionnal , especially in MTL. If Martin Brodeur can win the CUP with a divorce running in the same, Theo can do the same this season with the Habs.

Mathieu Garon : @ 24 years old, Mathieu Garon is now ready to shine as the backup for an NHL team. Most fan think that he's physical status & his technical abilities can make him to outplayed Jose Theodore someday. Garon prooved that he can do well for 10 games , can he do the same thing for 25 ? 30 ? 35 games ? His tenure should indicate if the Habs have a chance to battle for a spot in the playoff.

DEFENSE : C-

Andrei Markov : @ 24 years old , Andrei is now mature & considered a proven NHLer. Now the question is can he accept the pressure of being the #1 defensman for this team ? After a career year in 02-03, Markov is known as a very offensive defensman. Even if he's defensive abilities are somewhat a bit overrated , Markov is now the #1 for this team & now the fans expect even more from him this season. A 50 pts season ? Doubtful but not unreachable.

Patrice Brisebois : entering his 14th season with the Habs this season, Patrice is now trying to win the fans to his cause. He bulked up this summer & he is willing to be a bit more physical than the previous year. The question regarding Patrice is : can he be 100% effective for 82 games ? Patrice is known to play injured or not for this team, his heart his tatooed with the Habs logo but can he stay away from being injured ? Good thing can be expected from Patrice this season but if he doesn't deliver , it's gonna probably mean his last season with this team.

Craig Rivet : After 2 full season of 82 games , Rivet didn't play with a wrist 100% healed in 02-03. His offensive numbers is what expected from him (25-22 PTS last 2 season) but his physical & defensive abilities was lacking last year & the coaching staff hope the REAL Rivet will show. Is it a pipe dream to think his wrist is 100% healed this season ? If not dont be surprised if he's the target of the fans this season because of this huge contract he got last year to prevent FREE AGENCY.

Sheldon Souray : playing only 86 games in the last 2 years made the fans really see that we need a healthy Sheldon in the lineup to make this defense a lot better in the intimidation aspect of the game. Souray is the mean S.O.B every team want on their team but hate to play against. Souray was lucky to continue his NHL career when Paul Laus had to retired from an injury same as Souray.

Stéphane Quintal : HEART & SOUL of this defense, he maybe not as talented as the for up there & probably the next to be describe but Stephane redeem himself in the last 2 years by demonstrating to the team & the fans that his trip to NY & Chicago change him completely to know where you feel happy in life. Quintal is probably the #5 of this team but as the season will go , he's gonna be pushed to save his spot. If he played like last year, expect Quintal to stick with team as a silent leader for the team. If he lost a step during the summer, it probably means the last of him with the Habs this year.

Francis Bouillon : For the 1st time in his career , an NHL coaching staff show the desire of keeping him on opening day & even better , protecting him from the waiver draft. Every will always wonder WHAT IF if he was 6 foot 3 , he would be a monster & a star for this team. But let's get back to reality, this unstoppable player Bouillon will fight for his life night in , night out for the team. Opponents will underestimate him & that's probably the best thing that can happen for Bouillon. That wont prevent him to be constantly on the bubble but Bouillon will rarely cost the team & will surprise each game with his motivation & willingness to pay the price in his zone.

Mike Komisarek : The KID who everybody want him with the big club. With an outstanding 02-03 season with Hamilton, Komisarek will try to proove to the coaching that an AHL trip is not necessary & rounding his game can only be made if he is in the NHL. Komisarek can probably be an effective defensive-defensman but if the coaching wants him to be more confident with his offensive game, maybe an AHL trip will happen to Mike the TERMINATOR Komisarek.

Ron Hainsey : Another that many fan feel he wont reach his potential in the NHL & have a sticker on his back call lazy. Ron Hainsey can help the Habs on the PP but the question mark on him is can he not be a liability with the big club @ 22 ?. If Hainsey can do the little thing & provide a couple of goals with the team, Hainsey have a chance to stick with the team but he will probably made a couple of trip Hamilton-Montreal this season.

FORWARDS D

Saku Koivu : The guy where the staff, media, fan count on him to be the catalyzer of this offense. One of the very good playmaking abilities in this league with close to a PPG last season. Saku is an inspiration for this team with the energy he brings every shift. Healthy will always be a concern for everyone but his # of game played will have an immediate impact how where this team will rank at the end of the season.

Richard Zednik : Breakthrough with a 31 goals season, Zednik is expecting to do the same with the team in dire need of scoring. The question mark on Zednik is can he be something else than a scorer ? Can he help his line to produce more ? With 19 assists only, Zednik will need to raise this total to have a better production from the 1st or 2nd line.

Jan Bulis : After 6 NHL seasons, Jan got finally the recognition of being a true NHLer. But the question for fans is which Bulis is the real Bulis ? Some claim that he will be an excellent 2-way player on the 3rd line & 2nd line when injuries & some feel that he can step up & he be a succesful top 6 player on this team with good offensive #'s while providing an excellent defensive coverage.

Yanic Perreault : Winning the NHL FACEOFF award for a 4th straight (or is it 5 or 6) , Yanic all throughout his career never gain the recognition of being a true top 6 NHLer because of him defensive abilities or lack there of. Yanic get on the wrong side with fans after having 2 straight poor 2nd half season. In his last year of contract , can we expect like so many NHLer to have close to a career year ?

Mike Ribeiro : An outstanding junior player that as of today never came as a regular NHLer. With a superstar vision of the game, his overall game & skating abilities never gave him the chance to shine & receive a good chance as a top 6 candidate with the Habs. Once again this season the battle inside the fan will continue. Can he step up & outplay Perreault for the 2nd line spot or will he fade away like all of his pre-season shining ? Ribeiro can be an immediate contributor of the Habs compete for a playoff spot.

Donald Audette : After disappointing a few GM's, coach's & fans in the last 2 seasons. Audette is now facing the challenge of fighting to stay an NHLer because like Luc Robitaille, he can be only effective as a top 6 player on a team. If he can put the puck in the NET when the season begin, Audette will probably be buyout next summer. But again, an effective Audette is another indication of if the Habs can compete for a playoff spot.

Niklas Sundstrom : A very underrated player or a victim of his own defensive abilities success ? Niklas tried to be the most complete player season after season & when he became so good at it that he became the go to guy to check the better line. And so on his offensive reputation came to an END & is now labelled as a great 3rd checking line center.

Jason Ward : a 1st round (11th overall) in 1997 , Ward proove to many impatient staff & fans that patience is a virtue that could payoff someday. After an outstanding AHL 02-03 season, Jason is now ready to contribute offensively & probably defensive with the big team. His 6'3 & 203 pounds is exactly what the smurfs .....sorry..... the Habs need to not be intimidate by bigger opponents. No definite role was given to Ward as of today & it's good to see that Ward can be a top 6 players at time & be an effective 3rd liner as his 1st full season.

Marcel Hossa : Another 1st rounder that is very close or is he actually ready to be a full time NHLer ? Hossa made the fan believe that there's not doubt he got the skills to be a productive player at the NHL level but his lack of consistency made the non-believers think that maybe he doesn't have the heart & desire to be a good top 6 players. Marcel is another player that can influence directly the battle for a playoff spot.

Michael Ryder : Some people before training camp already felt that he should be in the lineup as soon as opening. Those people hit it right in the coffin as he become a wind of fresh air. Like Jason Ward no definite role can be given at this point of time but no doubt that his energy should push other teammates to do the same.

Joe Juneau : Not a fan favorite due to his Therrien Era where he log to many minutes just to check the 1st line opponent. Juneau can be a good teachers for the lot of youngblood coming into town this season. Sure many people would like him to see gone but Juneau is one of the few that have the smart to help the young player how to be effective & responsible in his own zone while providing some offense at time.

Chad Kilger : Many people give up on him & will be satisfy with a 4th or 3th line role if he brings energy & the physical aspect of his game. Which Kilger can we see in the future ? Near 27 years old Kilger will need to accept the role that the coaching staff will ask him to do. Since he's a very coachable player, Kilger will provide what is ask from CJ.

Andreas Dackell : Another not so fan-favorite to stay with the team. Many feels that instead of making the club progressing he handicaped a young players spot with the team. But the question before opening is : can a young player do the little things that fans didn't see like Dackell ? Until the coaching staff will have a clear answer at this question, Dackell will stick as bubble everyday NHL player.

Tomas Plekanec : Another player that will benefit as this present time to get a cup of coffee of the BIGS. Plekanec is another player that bring energy to a team & have a chance of being with the team in the 2nd half of the season depending of the standing in the EAST.

Christopher Higgins : getting all the praise from the VETS as a guy who can do the little things that fans usually dont see. Higgins will get a cup of coffee of the regular season because he's playing his heart out every game & do what the coach want him to do. That's why he played as a bottom 6 player in the pre-season, to check if they can count on it as a 2 way player.

Steve Begin - Darren Langdon : No comments as they just arrive & not sure to stick with the bigs.

COACHING C-
Right now, Claude Julien can't be called a regular coach at the NHL level & even if he succeed at other level right now, we need to see if the players will buy into HIS system & for HOW LONG ? Can he keep everyone satisfy ? Can he let the kid progress without making any vets unsatisfied with less ICE-TIME? That's the kind of things CJ will be judge by fans, medias, players & the GM !

GM : B
Right now it's tough to put a letter on how Bob Gainey is a the Habs GM because his days with the Stars can be reflected with his current role which he have a smaller payroll , no impact player à la Modano. Gainey made some good move & some not so good move. It's up to debate but let him give a B.

INTANGIBLES : C
As of today , there are too many IF too considering the Habs as a legitimate playoff contender. Too many thing need to fall into the puzzle to make this team 8th in the EAST. While other weak team get better, the Habs are relying on the youngblood to push this team. Healthyness is also a concern already with Zednik, Kilger, Bouillon & Koivu injured. Even if it's light injuries, it made them a step below every 100% player who benifits of having a pre-season.

PREDICTION :
13-14th spot in the EAST with 27 wins 41 losses 10 Ties 4 OTLosses 68 PTS

RUSSIAN FAN !

Old
10-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Russian Fan

No one did one, so I thought you people would enjoy something that I tried to be as objective as I can possibly be.

If you have comments , bring it on

Old
10-06-2003, 08:09 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
No one did one, so I thought you people would enjoy something that I tried to be as objective as I can possibly be.

If you have comments , bring it on
Its 1am now and I figure I should be the first to give you some comments.

I agree with you 100% on all player assessments. especially highlighting that Juneau can be a very useful player/teacher for our young up and coming players. He (Juneau) played a big part in Bulis progression into the player he is today. Maybe Juneau could do the same with Higgins and Plekanec before he retires. Besides, Juneau has never really hurt us when he played even though he wasnt able to put the puck in the net.

The only sticking point for me is the C- you gave to CJ. I mean he should be getting a NA as he really didnt have a chance to show us yet whether or not the team can play his system. If pre-season is any indication it may work as the shots on goal were far less than what we have been seeing in the past few years. Also, it takes a team some time to buy into a system and play it with confidence. In my books I will be judging CJ based on the team progression going forward and not what we saw in the last few games last year with a team in disarray.

Again, great report. I would like to know how you would rate the individual players also...

Old
10-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I think our defense deserve more than a C- , with Souray and Komisarek in along with Traverse and Dhykuis out we now have the muscle we needed badly last season .

Markov improved and Rivet is now near 100% . Let's see if Brisebois and Bouillon will gain confidence . Quintal is a fine 6 guy . Hainsey is kinda of a wildcard for this season .

Overall you did a great job , i agree almost everywhere . You should be a bit more positive on Garon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ

The only sticking point for me is the C- you gave to CJ.
Unless he get the job done in the NHL he don't deserve more IMO , he's PP and PK unit are bad and his lines changes are too often slow and shaky .

Old
10-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Lil Viking

In my estimation you did a fair job of evaluating the team. I don't have any big complaints about your ratings, and I agree with most of them. Nice work.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I think our defense deserve more than a C- , with Souray and Komisarek in along with Traverse and Dhykuis out we now have the muscle we needed badly last season .

Markov improved and Rivet is now near 100% . Let's see if Brisebois and Bouillon will gain confidence . Quintal is a fine 6 guy . Hainsey is kinda of a wildcard for this season .

Overall you did a great job , i agree almost everywhere . You should be a bit more positive on Garon

Unless he get the job done in the NHL he don't deserve more IMO , he's PP and PK unit are bad and his lines changes are too often slow and shaky .
The PP and PK are the responsibility of the assistant coaches which would justify giving them walking papers

Giving CJ a C- just because his line changes seem slow and shaky is a little harsh :p

Russian Fan analysed CJ properly but I dont think he should be given a rating as of yet. The same could be said about Gainey as he hasnt really done anything significant. Give those 2 a year and then rate them based on their first full season.

Old
10-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Marksman

You seem to be quite pessimistic... dont let the preseason fool you - Habs really arent that bad team. The assesments on players are pretty much what is consesus on these boards ... but I might have given sligthly better grades overall for G D and F.

I would have preferred getting NHL coach too, like Hartley, but lets give Julien a try. Atleast he seems to be able to make them play defensive system, something Therrien never could.

I know I may regret this at some point - but I feel we will see better team than last years edition. The average size is up, Souray is back, Hainsey & Komisarek are year older. The biggest sticking point is PP which should comes together when Koivu and Zednik are 100%.

All in all they wont be scoring much more, but will be giving up less ... making big difference. When you push the dissappointment aside you realize they werent that far from making the postseason last season - this time they might actually make it. Quick peak at the competition:

Carolina - after those few trade that smelt of panicking, the team is a mess. Lots of young players phasing in - so they will be highly inconsistent.

Pittsburgh - they will stay at bottom with top line of Lemieux-Lemieux-Straka.

Florida - Dudley is making great job at destabilizing his team. Plenty of unhappy players made unhappier dangling them on waivers. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their locker room.

Buffalo - couldnt afford to fix poor defense... another young team.

Atlanta - looked really threatening to me... until that fateful crash. You will be seeing Heatley only on the cover of NHL2004.

Rangers - Bure missing from offence - if Leetch stays hurt long there isnt much cheering in their defence either.

Isles - biggest need scoring winger for Yashin went unaddressed. Guess who they brought in instead.

Boston - almost perfect mirror image of Habs imo. Big gritty and skilled team up front, but sluggish (if physical) defence and poor goaltending. Could surprice atleast in two different ways - depending you're Bruins fan or not.

The rest of the teams, top six are great teams, getting better... so I think Canadiens could be fighting for last two spots with Isles and Bruins.

Got little carried away, maybe I should have started another thread. :p

Old
10-07-2003, 04:40 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Well it reflects what the defence as done rather than what they could "potentialy" do. C- is representative of their accomplishment as of yet.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Darz

Good read, Russian Fan. I might have a couple small disagreement with ya, but overall think it's a pretty good assessment except for one error:

PREDICTION :

I think we will do better than that.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:59 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Florida - I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their locker room.
As long as you're not a rat

Russian Fan, good job as usual, but a little too pessimistic. I think we're gonna make a drive for 8'th place at the end of the season and might even see a little playoff action.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:51 AM
fatmax

Good Job Russian fan!

I really appreciate what you've done on the decription of every players but I think that the habs WILL do better then last season!

Old
10-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Russian Fan

After reading the replies here some opinions following :

I gave the defense a C - like someone said, I based all my grade with what they can do this season. Sure the potential in the long term could be well better than a C-.

I know I was a bit harsh about my standing prediction but as of today , I felt there was too many BIG IF !!! like

IF Ribeiro shine
IF Theodore is top shape
IF Koivu is Healtey
IF Zednik repeat
IF the young players step-up
IF (you name yours)

I also based my prediction that this teams seems they will score less than 200 goals & last year except for the Wild who had enough of 198 goals, the 6 other NHL teams with less than 200 managed to get between 61 & 75 pts on the standings.

Thank you all for the nice comments & I also appreciated the criticism.

Old
10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
mcphee

Well done RF, I can't argue with any of your evaluations. It all comes down to chemistry and team play. They could be anywhere from 1o games under .500 to 10 games over. Goaltending, health and special teams determine a lot.

Old
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Well done RF, I can't argue with any of your evaluations. It all comes down to chemistry and team play. They could be anywhere from 1o games under .500 to 10 games over. Goaltending, health and special teams determine a lot.
Exactly my sentiments , there's many question marks regarding so many issue that it's very tough to get a true feel of this team.

I set this team at 68 pts , that means 14 losses under ,500 but for each IF that can be translate into reality, the teams will add PTS to the standing.

This team IMHO is more bound to get 68 pts but it's not unreachable to see them getting 88 pts IF it come all together.

Also trades will be a factor of the standing, if after 60 games this team is out of the playoff, Perreault, Brisebois, Dackell , Juneau could be trade & put this team on a slump at the end of the season.

Old
10-07-2003, 09:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Exactly my sentiments , there's many question marks regarding so many issue that it's very tough to get a true feel of this team.

I set this team at 68 pts , that means 14 losses under ,500 but for each IF that can be translate into reality, the teams will add PTS to the standing.

This team IMHO is more bound to get 68 pts but it's not unreachable to see them getting 88 pts IF it come all together.

Also trades will be a factor of the standing, if after 60 games this team is out of the playoff, Perreault, Brisebois, Dackell , Juneau could be trade & put this team on a slump at the end of the season.
The beauty of teams like Minnesota and Anaheim is that any team with solid goaltending, who are on the same page, can give you a good season.

Old
10-07-2003, 12:46 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:

Nice job RF however I totally disagree with your overall analasys. You mentioned that there are so many IF's/Questions about Theo/injuries/young guys, etc...... So, if there are so many questions, how is it possible to give out a fair analasys based on what has happened?

Old
10-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:

PREDICTION :

RUSSIAN FAN !
You are definitely a pessimist, comrade Russian Fan.

I'll bet my bottom dollar this team does not finish 14 games under .500. We're a better team than last year, when we finished 5 games under.

Old
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan
Nice job RF however I totally disagree with your overall analasys. You mentioned that there are so many IF's/Questions about Theo/injuries/young guys, etc...... So, if there are so many questions, how is it possible to give out a fair analasys based on what has happened?
I never mad any statements that my analyzis is the sole truth.

I tried to give the most objective comment for each player.

After that I made a prediction based on what they can do as of today.

Many factors can give me wrong :
- Theo's performance
- Progression of the youngster
- Team chemistry

But I didn't base my prediction like the IF's & BUT's will happen. I prefer to be pessimistic or if you prefer a way that no one would really hope.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

I'll bet my bottom dollar this team does not finish 14 games under .500. We're a better team than last year, when we finished 5 games under.
Yep maybe it's because , I prefer being surprise than being deceive.

If the young players progress well , there's a chance I might be wrong.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Joe Cole

When you think of it, there are a lot of "if's".

If Ribeiro shines.
If Theo regains his form
If the young guys develop

Not many teams have no if's, it is the beginning of the season. Think of it this way, right now the Habs are #1 in their division. They have to play over their heads all seaon, and Theo/Garon has to save our souls.

Ah, the beginning of a new seaon, just like when you start to go out with a new girl, everything is a possibility.

Thanks God the puck drops tonight!!!

Old
10-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Asgalus

by far your best post in a long time. I'm disapointed to agree with you. I would like to expect more....but i dont think we can !

Old
10-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Asgalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

on every NHL team, we are the one who improved the less...expect us to be worst, not because our players are worst, because so many teams improved enough to outplay us..Easpecially in the Eastern conferance (only 3 teams didnt) . YES we are a better team, but i think that everyone in eastern has a better team as well. And on these 3 non-improved teams, 1 will be a head of us.

Boston did (samsonov is back and they have a better goalie in Potvin)
Ottawa (Spezza will now get a regular spot and take pressure from Bonk)
Toronto (Big Joe and Nolan joined them)
Buffalo (what about Drury and Brière)
Caroline (much improved defence...a full year for Brind'Amour...and Staal)
Florida (Jay Bowmeester 2nd year, more experiance and Nathan Horton)
NY Rangers (new coaching, full year of Holik,arrival of Carter & Kovalev)
NY Islanders (Niinimaa and full year of Peca)
Washington (more chimestry ? )
PHY (Leclerc more healthy ? Amonte turn over season?)
TB (XP, so young, so much skills..can they do worst? maybe, maybe not)

----------------------------
New Jersey (no improuve...Loss of Big Joe and Oleg Tverdovsky)
Pitsburgh (no comments...Fleury wont help)
Atlanta (the only way they wouldnt do playoffs ... was without Heatley)

Closed Thread