HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan giving Rangers Christmas presence

Old
12-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Steps and Arti are our top 2 centers for the next decade

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
maybe...probably too early to say that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
maybe...probably too early to say that.
Maybe. But I think for the next 5 years, it'd be ideal to have

Richards
Stepan
Anisimov

Then Boyle can either play 4th line center or 3rd line wing.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 12:58 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Am I singling someone out that I'm unaware of?

The point is that there's a reason Torts is endearing to a portion of the fan base. Because of his ridiculous prodding and off color comments that so many fans are quick to throw out there.

You can expect that from casual fans when Gaborik doesn't score for a few games they start cursing his name and posting threads about what the hell is wrong with said player, but for a coach to constantly have that mentality with a player who has carried his team on his back is just wrong IMO.

Torts seems to have this set way about him when it comes to certain players. Avery and Gabby fall into that lot those players he loves to take shots at. I'm not going to be surprised if Hank gets thrown in there next if he continues to play below the level that we've all been accustomed to seeing from him.

But if you're Brandon Prust you're off limits from criticism. (And yes, I love Prust and this team as a whole...just have no idea what Torts' deal is when it comes to his comments about players.)

I quoted Brooks' part in the article because I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices it constantly and thinks it's ridiculous.
Is this really that hard to see? Prust doesn't get criticized because he's pretty much always been a fourth line plugger and now he's doing more than that, he's bringing his game up to a new level and getting involved in parts of the game that he was never involved in before. He's playing above what is expected of him pretty much every single game. He is consistently overachieving.

Gabby and Avery on the other hand, both have the ability to totally change the complexion of any game in different ways and they haven't been doing that recently. They have been extremely inconsistent with their abilities to be game changers, therefore they get criticized.

Henrik is and always has been a rock back there for Tortorella. He doesn't get criticism because he is consistent and won't get that criticism as long as he is consistent.

Consistency is the point here. Gabby single handedly carried this team to the playoffs last year, there is no doubt about that. He broke open game after game and demanded that the opposition dedicate their energy to shutting him down every shift of every game. This year he has 19 pts in 22 games, almost a ppg pace, BUT 6 of his 9 goals were hattricks against terrible teams. That leaves 3 goals in the other 20 games. Thats not consistent.

EDIT: Thanks to Wolfgaze for pointing out my typo regarding the goal numbers. Fixed them.

Last edited by haveandare: 12-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Is this really that hard to see? Prust doesn't get criticized because he's pretty much always been a fourth line plugger and now he's doing more than that, he's bringing his game up to a new level and getting involved in parts of the game that he was never involved in before. He's playing above what is expected of him pretty much every single game. He is consistently overachieving.

Gabby and Avery on the other hand, both have the ability to totally change the complexion of any game in different ways and they haven't been doing that recently. They have been extremely inconsistent with their abilities to be game changers, therefore they get criticized.
This part (above) is spot on...

Quote:
Consistency is the point here. Gabby single handedly carried this team to the playoffs last year, there is no doubt about that. He broke open game after game and demanded that the opposition dedicate their energy to shutting him down every shift of every game. This year he has 19 pts in 22 games, almost a ppg pace, BUT 6 of his 9 goals were hattricks against terrible teams. That leaves 6 goals in the other 17 games. Thats not consistent.
Slight typo above with the #'s... Gaborik has played 22 games and has 9 goals, so with his 2 hat tricks in the 2 games, that means he has scored just 3 goals in the remaining 20 games.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 04:27 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This part (above) is spot on...

Slight typo above with the #'s... Gaborik has played 22 games and has 9 goals, so with his 2 hat tricks in the 2 games, that means he has scored just 3 goals in the remaining 20 games.
Good catch. My bad. That proves the point even more.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So then the Rangers become a one-trick pony.... He has to try and keep the offense balanced or else the Rangers are too easy to match up against...
I disagree with that, especially on a temporary basis. The Rangers with Straka-Nylander-Jagr were in a similar kind of situation, yet the one-trick pony thing didn't hurt them for two thirds of any given season they were together. Granted, it made them incapable of putting together any kind of lengthy playoff run, but that was because there was no other option.

You only put Dubinsky-Anisimov-Gaborik together for the time that Callahan is out. Once he's back, you put the second line back together. Hopefully by then, Prospal will be back and has shaken the rust off, giving you two legitimate scoring lines.

A one-trick pony can be a boon as long as it isn't the long-term plan.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Edge

Getting back to Stepan - he's really impressed me. Not that I didn't think he had the talent, but I am surprised he is this good, this soon. Especially as a goal scorer. He's got a legit shot to be a better goal scorer as a pro than he was as at the college level.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Getting back to Stepan - he's really impressed me. Not that I didn't think he had the talent, but I am surprised he is this good, this soon. Especially as a goal scorer. He's got a legit shot to be a better goal scorer as a pro than he was as at the college level.
Been saying this forever since he was our prospect. Just because he was racking up assists in UW-M did not mean he was a pure playmaker. He just always made the play that was right for the moment. He has the vision to playmake, but it translates to his vision in seeing how the play will unfold.

And anyone who saw him in UW-M knows he had a knack for breakaways and that his hands were maybe not Datsyuk like, but they are definitly good enough to put the puck in the net.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

17 points in the last 21 games, on pace for 66.3 points over 82 games.

It's not unreasonable that he hits 70 points next year, which is what Brad Richards hit most of his career. I hope we don't waste money on yet another UFA finishing up his career. New York Rangers should not be Boca Raton where old guys go to retire.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think it'll be 2-3 years before he's ready to perform like a true #1 Center, if he reaches that potential.... His rookie season has been impressive but he understandably has work to do on his game to compete at the level needed to Center a top line in the NHL.... I would be okay with him realizing/reaching that potential in a 2nd line role should we acquire Richards this off-season....

Old
12-27-2010, 09:12 PM
M0rbid

How did this kid not get drafted in the first round few years ago?

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

It's not unreasonable that he hits 70 points next year, which is what Brad Richards hit most of his career. I hope we don't waste money on yet another UFA finishing up his career. New York Rangers should not be Boca Raton where old guys go to retire.
But you can't really use a point streak as a good judge of what a player will do over an entire 82 game schedule.... There will always be ups and downs, especially with inexperienced younger players... He has 21 points in 37 games this year (he's played every game)... He's on track for roughly 48 points this season.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-27-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
This. These guys are our future. They are both very solid 2-way centerman with loads of offensive talent; Anisimov as more of a goal scorer, Stepan as a playmaker. It's gonna be a treat to watch these two grow in front of our eyes by the season. Anisimov already looks like an elite defensive player at times, and Stepan's vision is impeccable. If utilized and developed correctly, Stepan-Anisimov could become one of the better 1-2 center punches in the league.

Quote:

I agree with this as well. Stepan has a lot of similar qualities to Brad. He's even sharing the ability to quarterback the powerplay, and he's a 20 year old rookie. When was the last time we had a rookie forward quarterbacking the powerplay? Ever? Save the money for re-signing Dubinsky, Sauer, Boyle, Callahan, and Anisimov. Wait for Drury and Rozsival to come off the books in 2012; then sign someone like Brent Burns.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
How did this kid not get drafted in the first round few years ago?
Same reason a lot of people on this board hated the pick: No one knew much about him!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
darko

Quote:

Or he could just as easily hit sophomore slump like MDZ.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Stepper is (So far) the best 2nd round pick of the 08 draft. In terms of production.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We got a real gem in Step. Amazing.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stepan can be an elite player in time if he improves his skating, strength and shot.
Based on scouting reports, I didn't think he was going to be a scorer. He seems to have good hands around the net though.
So again if he improves his shot he can become a 70-80 point player. Cause he already has the play-making skills to rake up assist.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well, he scored 12 goals last year in 41 games, and he has 11 this year in fewer games at the NHL level, so to me that means he's already proving he can be a better goal scorer.

Of course, he has to come back next year and prove he can keep doing it, etc

Still impressive though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
ecemleafs

his shot is def better than i thought it would be....and hes not one of those playmakers who refuses to shoot. hes gonna be a good one.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hopefully his lack of goal production in the past was in part a result of a preference to pass.... He gets his shot off pretty quickly and it's usually on goal.... He has one of the better shots on the team....

Old
12-28-2010, 01:35 AM
RegalRangers

Well I gotta be honest... I didn't expect Stepan to have more goals and points than Kovalchuk at this point in the season...

That's what we call a win-win.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:38 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's also been incredibly clutch in some games. Always a good trait to have.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:59 AM
ohbaby

4 games and counting!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote