HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Habs

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
The Technician I had, put it in a reachable place from my rear balcony. If the case should be that it fills with snow and causes a problem, which I doubt. I can go out with a regular broom to do the trick. The signal is very clear, I did some more research on my own on the web. As the tech said, not really a snow problem. More of an issue is hard rain which bounces off the dish, but that's five-ten mins tops on a bad one.
Not sure why you'd doubt it. Family has had Expressvu for probably 11 years now and it's a very common thing. In our house growing up it was on the roof which was a nightmare obviously, once we moved to a condo we had them put it in a much more manageable place. It still had equal amounts of problems only now it was much easier to fix. Still often times what people don't realize is it isn't even the stuff on their dish causing the problem, weather is just so bad that the signal can't get through period.

It's a very common problem, it really just depends on how the season goes. If it's a light season you won't have any problems, if it's a terrible winter you could have several. We had years where there wasn't a single signal loss in an entire year, then we've had years where it happened even a dozen times. It isn't really Bell's fault as it's just the name of the game with satelite, but I wouldn't be expecting it not to happen, it very easily can and like another poster has said I've lost the signal prior to the storm even being in my area before.

PS: The thing about the rain, that's only half true. Snow can cause it as well whether it's the dish itself or just the signal becoming too weak.

The rain thing is the worst of the problems that can happen. He says it will bounce off and cause problems for like 10 minutes when in reality the problem is the rain freezes on the dish causing problems. I've had it happen before and it wasn't a case of waiting 10 minutes, it was a cause of going out and breaking ice off my dish which then fixed the problem. I've never had heavy rain effect it before unless it was because the signal just couldn't get through in which case nobody in my area had it working it wasn't just an individual dish kind of thing. We're talking thunderstorms, I've had it rain heavily before and have had no problems as well. I think it's more-so the freezing rain that's the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
You can get US alternate feeds (Fox, CBS, etc.) and canadian alternate feeds (CTV, etc.) with Videotron too..
With Bell it's included though, not part of some special alternate package, at least as far as I recall. Ever since I had Expressvu since day one we had east and west channels. Videotron wants you to pay a premium for that when in reality their illico is so piss poor it should be included in the first place. If I buy Fox I should get Fox west, why do I have to pay a premium for that? It's silly imo. Illico is **** by comparison to Expressvu there really are only two real benefits to illico:

1) Stability, it won't get knocked down as easily as expressvu will, but with the winters we've had lately I'm not too worried.
2) Customizability/Value, you can customize it a lot better and aren't forced to buy into specific packages where you get one channel you want and 10 you don't. You can just choose the channels you want specifically in a 20 30 etc package. So for someone like me who downloads most his shows the lower end illico package is very good value. It comes with the sports channels I need, a few random channels I chose and it's customizable so if say I change my mind I can switch channels in/out free of charge.

For actual selection it's the pits by comparison. It's only really good for value.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-22-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old
11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Pascal

I've been getting ads from Bell in my mail for a while now and finally last week i made the tally.. I'd save about 15-20% with Bell but Videotron has been 100% reliable to me for years now so I don't want to switch. However I might call them to say I do want to switch just to get a discount.. do they always offer u a deal?

Old
11-22-2010, 10:39 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I've been getting ads from Bell in my mail for a while now and finally last week i made the tally.. I'd save about 15-20% with Bell but Videotron has been 100% reliable to me for years now so I don't want to switch. However I might call them to say I do want to switch just to get a discount.. do they always offer u a deal?
Yes. I've been with Videotron. Month ago, I called them to cancel my 3 services to switch to Bell. Then, Videotron offered me a deduction of 16% on my monthly bill while doubling my Internet speed. However, I find that my previous plan was quite expensive.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Yes. I've been with Videotron. Month ago, I called them to cancel my 3 services to switch to Bell. Then, Videotron offered me a deduction of 16% on my monthly bill while doubling my Internet speed. However, I find that my previous plan was quite expensive.
ok i'll try and report here I also think videotron is on the expensive side. We pay 148/mo with taxes incl. for extreme high speed, illico with 20 channels and basic phone. We watch maybe 5 of those channels but we can't pick separately..

Old
11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
ok i'll try and report here I also think videotron is on the expensive side. We pay 148/mo with taxes incl. for extreme high speed, illico with 20 channels and basic phone. We watch maybe 5 of those channels but we can't pick separately..
Yeah if they had a 5 channel package for like 5.99$ I'd be set

Honestly I used to use them for basic phone but my company started paying for my cell so I could be reached at any point in time. They also pay for half my internet as I use it for work related reasons as well. In the end I pay I think like 90$ a month for videotron 50mbit business + 20 channel illico.

Not bad really imo but illico is just there for RDS. Funny thing is if you go with regular cable you have to pay like 40$ a month to get RDS where as by getting 20 channel illico you pay less and get regular cable with RDS anyways

Old
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah if they had a 5 channel package for like 5.99$ I'd be set

Honestly I used to use them for basic phone but my company started paying for my cell so I could be reached at any point in time. They also pay for half my internet as I use it for work related reasons as well. In the end I pay I think like 90$ a month for videotron 50mbit business + 20 channel illico.

Not bad really imo but illico is just there for RDS. Funny thing is if you go with regular cable you have to pay like 40$ a month to get RDS where as by getting 20 channel illico you pay less and get regular cable with RDS anyways
Don't know if the deal is available in Montreal but I have Shaw Satellite @ $38/mo plus extra for RDS ($5) and BBC news ($2) - all the channels I'll ever want (223) and superior customer service. It does not have TSN-Habs but if U have RDS I don't find TSN necessary. As for internet and telephone, I use the local cable company @ $51 - I have found that I prefer cable to telephone company for internet and the cable company threw in the phone free for a year.

Old
11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Pascal

so I called and told them I might be switching to Bell and how do I go about cancelling my services... they didn't offer me anything and asked me if i want to cancel over the phone right away. It was really awkward since I was waiting for him to say something.

I guess i'll call back later.

Old
11-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Maverik

Quote:
so I called and told them I might be switching to Bell and how do I go about cancelling my services... they didn't offer me anything and asked me if i want to cancel over the phone right away. It was really awkward since I was waiting for him to say something.

No s.. I knew that was gonna happen.. lol. They ain't going to offer rebate to anyone who calls, that would not make sense.

I switched from Bell POS service to Videotron about a year ago, everything is fine since.. and I pay LESS with Vidéotron than with Bell for the same service.

Old
11-22-2010, 02:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:

LOL I'd laugh if Videotron monitored this thread and the employees were having a good laugh right now.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

**** videotron. they took away my damn teletoon when i ordered RDS. All i want to do is watch some damn cartoons.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Frankly, I prefer Bell. Larger channel selection - not that I watch much television - and superior Internet. Their service may blow at times, however what you end up with is better in the long haul. Although as of late they have improved and are not always tossing you over to India.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Frankly, I prefer Bell. Larger channel selection - not that I watch much television - and superior Internet. Their service may blow at times, however what you end up with is better in the long haul. Although as of late they have improved and are not always tossing you over to India.
They got rid (or getting rid of) India

I guess when the CEO said 2 years ago that he was sick of hearing about India, he actually meant it....

Old
11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Guiness time

Thanks for the heads up! Got myself a new pvr box for free today!....but they refused to lower my bill. My choice was either 7.50 off a month or the box.

The dude at videotron states they're negotiating to get the regional habs feed.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Got myself a new pvr box for free today!....but they refused to lower my bill. My choice was either 7.50 off a month or the box.

The dude at videotron states they're negotiating to get the regional habs feed.
You make me jealous
I asked Videotron to give me the PVR, but they refused. To get that, they asked me to pay $7 more a month.

I'm loving my new upgraded Internet speed (15 Mbps), and I'm wondering if it's worth to upgrade to 30 Mbps for an extra $11/month.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
optimus2861

I'm still waiting to hear back from Bell Aliant, but I suspect this TSN-Habs deal is the cause of NHL Center Ice blacking out every Canadiens game (Bell Aliant does not carry the TSN-Habs feed on their digital TV, nor RDS-HD so this season I caved and ordered CI). I think Montreal games are no longer considered "out of market" so those of us who shelled out for Center Ice are getting shafted.

Anyone else in Halifax or Atlantic Canada getting these Canadiens blackouts on Center Ice?

Old
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
This simply isn't true. Heck Bell isn't even capable of giving people 100mbit lines and videotron already is. Plus we all know about the throttling and traffic limitations, that alone makes videotron far superior.

Not denying their TV is better than illico but you can't just toss a lie in with the truth and expect people to eat it up. They aren't even a top 3 for internet in Canada/Quebec in terms of the quality imo.

I'm on 50mbit, I always get > 50 for down and no way Bell offers a service that can beat 2mbit/s up let alone the 20mbit/s up the videotron 120mbit line offers you. (PS: Videotron only advertises 1mbit up for my line and gives me 2... with bell I get half of what I pay for not double)

There really is no comparison. I pay for bandwidth and I get more than what's advertised and I don't get throttled.

With Bell I almost never even got 50% of the downstream speed, was throttled during peak hours to less than 0.5mbit downstream and the upstream was quite honestly more of an insult then it was a joke. Seriously in this day and age not even 900kbit? Whatever they advertise I notoriously got 50% or less of the bandwidth I was paying for. Furthermore the BS throttling and low traffic amounts were pitiful.

Not trying to be mean but there really isn't any comparison. Top it off with India and honestly unless you're on Fibe which for the most part is good but even so still gets mixed reviews, it's borderline the worst service in all of Canada.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-23-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Guiness time

Quote:
You make me jealous
I asked Videotron to give me the PVR, but they refused. To get that, they asked me to pay $7 more a month.

I'm loving my new upgraded Internet speed (15 Mbps), and I'm wondering if it's worth to upgrade to 30 Mbps for an extra $11/month.
I have internet, home phone and cable with videotron so I have a bit of power by threatening to cancel all 3, not sure if u have all 3? I also got a quote from bell...so I was well informed on what they offer. I insisted I was canceling and then they started with their questions. I really hammered him and tried to lower my bill but he wouldn't budge. I think it's obvious he called my bluff & knew I wouldn't cancel but i still got a free pvr I think you should keep calling until u get it.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
I have internet, home phone and cable with videotron so I have a bit of power by threatening to cancel all 3, not sure if u have all 3? I also got a quote from bell...so I was well informed on what they offer. I insisted I was canceling and then they started with their questions. I really hammered him and tried to lower my bill but he wouldn't budge. I think it's obvious he called my bluff & knew I wouldn't cancel but i still got a free pvr I think you should keep calling until u get it.
- I have 3 services
- I did really contact Bell and had a good offer from them
- I've called them 3 times
- Although I asked for PVR, I didn't insist at all since I really don't need it. It's nice to have. Finally I opted for the price deduction and higher Internet speed.

Old
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Guiness time

Quote:
- I have 3 services
- I did really contact Bell and had a good offer from them
- I've called them 3 times
- Although I asked for PVR, I didn't insist at all since I really don't need it. It's nice to have. Finally I opted for the price deduction and higher Internet speed.
Maybe I mis-read your post...that's cool...at least you saved some $ then for hab tickets!

Old
12-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
thx A1... World of difference... Time shifting is something I can never live without...

Well I think I will never go back to Cable...

Guess I get the Cubs also on WGN... National League.

Last edited by Player 61: 12-26-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old
12-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Player 61
#Winning

If your a real habs fan in the east, switch, It's worth it, Mike Johnson is way better than RDS.

Old
12-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
What do you guys think of Bell Tele Fibe (and internet).

Last year, i told Bell to never call me back as long as their ****** satellite antemna would be required. I couldnt care less if it's only once a year that i cant watch the TV because of a snow storm, it's 1 time too much for me. I mean, i'm not watching the TV all that much, but it pissed me off to a point i didnt care about the extra $$ with videotron.

But well, they called me back 2 months ago offering me to go on Fibe (high speed internet) with evething i have with Videotron at a lower cost (and i actually have crappy "internet intermediaire" right now. And the RSV Receptor free of charge for 3 years...

I dunno, it's kind of interesting. Especially considering i usually break my limit on my internet.

So fibe? what do you think?

Old
12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
thx A1... World of difference... Time shifting is something I can never live without...

Well I think I will never go back to Cable...

Guess I get the Cubs also on WGN... National League.

Glad the service is working out good for you

Old
12-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
It's nice to have options.
i'd do it in a heartbeat but is it a satellite dish? dishes are illegal on apartments and condos in westmount. ****!

Old
12-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i'd do it in a heartbeat but is it a satellite dish? dishes are illegal on apartments and condos in westmount. ****!
Certainly not Illegal in Lachine, That's where a lot of Airline people live. I recommend Dorval also, good towns. People who move heavy metal, meed to have options. For Sure!

Closed Thread