Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers at. Bruins 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Aaronxxx

vCash: 500
maybe horton was thinking that if he beats up the guy who beat up cooke, it's like he beat up cooke himself?

Old
12-24-2010, 01:03 PM
ATLhockey437

Love how the Boston commentators said Freddy Meyer took a dive when Lucic cheap shotted him. Haha how more homer can you get? Pretty sure 95% of the human race would fall down if they got cheap shotted by a guy as big as Lucic.

Yeah the hands went up a little bit but thats because there is a 6 INCH!!! height difference between Meyer and Lucic. LOL at the Boston commentators saying that was a deliberate elbow to the head and how Meyer will get suspended.

Old
12-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Love how the Boston commentators said Freddy Meyer took a dive when Lucic cheap shotted him. Haha how more homer can you get? Pretty sure 95% of the human race would fall down if they got cheap shotted by a guy as big as Lucic.

Yeah the hands went up a little bit but thats because there is a 6 INCH!!! height difference between Meyer and Lucic. LOL at the Boston commentators saying that was a deliberate elbow to the head and how Meyer will get suspended.
I disputed this on the other Forum. Lucic in that motion is
1) making a move
2) Looking to the left
3) Head down
4) leaning down

It was clean. More Roughing then "Elbowing".
Sucker punching though? Come on. I work in a bar, And ive seen enough sucker punches, even weak ones not connecting well, at the right point will drop ANYBODY. I've been on the receiving end of one of those as well.

The "Punch" looked like it had a nice jab force behind it ala GSP in the Koschek fight.

Lucic sucks and should be getting suspended more then he has

Old
12-25-2010, 04:46 PM
MyersMagic57*

Sabres fan here... just watched the hit and read what Bruins coach and players had to say.... If you read the new hit to head rule the exception is if you have your head down and get hit from the front then its your own damn fault. Lucic is a dumbass and should be suspended. Noone should have respect for Boston's style of play and I don't want to see this team in the playoffs because plain and simple they are the worst team to watch in the nhl.

Kudos for Meyer for the hit and Good luck Thrashers hope you make the playoffs and the Bruins get knocked out

Old
12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Ok I don't get it. I understand Boston responding to the hit, but after watching it over and over again, i've noticed that Boston has no respect for the other players. Ference takes a shot at Meyers while two other guys are on top of him. Lucic takes a shot at Meyers while the ref is holding him and then wants to run his mouth at our bench. People want to complain about Kane not taking off the visor yet no one from Atlanta was complaining about the shot Horton gave Kane when he was down.

I'm sure Little is aware of Savard's situation but Savard threw the first punch. Afterwards he turtles(which i kinda expect since he has to be careful) and after the refs get in Savard gets up and skates right back at Little and runs his mouth. Basically what i'm saying is that the Bruins showed very little class in that whole situation.

I know physicallity isn't a big part of Ramsey's coaching and all, but I really think the boys need to respond with some physical play next week.
What's not to get? We can debate all day long about whether the hit was "clean" or not. As a B's fan, I thought the hit was high and Meyer came up high and caught Lucic in the chin/mouth area with his forearm. As an ATL fan, you will say he hit him in the chest. Both of us have the ability to watch the replay, which Ference didn't, so I don't blame him for standing up for his teammate.

Once a scrum like that starts, all bets are off. You are complaining about a "lack of respect", but what about Oduya grabbing Ference when he was engaged with Meyer? Did you think the other B's players were just going to stand there while Ference got double-teamed? I would say that Lucic's "punch" was ill-advised and was born out of frustration because he didn't get a shot at Meyer himself. That being said, Meyer should be nominated for an Academy Award after going down that easy. Lucic may or may not get a suspension, but if he does it will be setting a new precedent. Scott Walker wound up from downtown and sucker-punched Aaron Ward in the playoffs 2 years ago, and didn't get a single game. Lucic's shot was a love tap compared to that punch.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but my problem with Kane is that he wears a visor to begin with. If you are going to be a player that is not afraid to drop the gloves on a regular basis, lose the visor. Did Horton have one? Lucic? Hell, even Savard doesn't wear one. A few weeks ago, Kane got into it with Matt Hunwick, and Thrasher fans were talking about how bad ass he was. Too bad that was only Hunwick's second fight as a pro...boxing lessons or not, Kane looked like he bit off more than he could chew with Horton.

My personal opinion is that if a guy is going to fight you with a visor on, the "code" goes out the window, and that includes getting punched while on the ground. Last time I checked, the whole idea of getting into a fight was to inflict some damage on the other guy...and knocking him down and then punching him some more seems to fit that bill.

The game on the 30th should be interesting, and Lucic should be back for that one, unless the league suspends him for 3 games, which would be an absolute joke.

Old
12-26-2010, 06:16 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
1. What's not to get? We can debate all day long about whether the hit was "clean" or not. As a B's fan, I thought the hit was high and Meyer came up high and caught Lucic in the chin/mouth area with his forearm. As an ATL fan, you will say he hit him in the chest. Both of us have the ability to watch the replay, which Ference didn't, so I don't blame him for standing up for his teammate.

Once a scrum like that starts, all bets are off. You are complaining about a "lack of respect", 2. but what about Oduya grabbing Ference when he was engaged with Meyer? Did you think the other B's players were just going to stand there while Ference got double-teamed? I would say that 3. Lucic's "punch" was ill-advised and was born out of frustration because he didn't get a shot at Meyer himself. That being said, Meyer should be nominated for an Academy Award after going down that easy. 4. Lucic may or may not get a suspension, but if he does it will be setting a new precedent. Scott Walker wound up from downtown and sucker-punched Aaron Ward in the playoffs 2 years ago, and didn't get a single game. Lucic's shot was a love tap compared to that punch.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but my problem with Kane is that he wears a visor to begin with.5. If you are going to be a player that is not afraid to drop the gloves on a regular basis, lose the visor. Did Horton have one? Lucic? Hell, even Savard doesn't wear one. 6. A few weeks ago, Kane got into it with Matt Hunwick, and Thrasher fans were talking about how bad ass he was. Too bad that was only Hunwick's second fight as a pro...boxing lessons or not, Kane looked like he bit off more than he could chew with Horton.

My personal opinion is that if a guy is going to fight you with a visor on, the "code" goes out the window, and that includes getting punched while on the ground. Last time I checked, the whole idea of getting into a fight was to inflict some damage on the other guy...and knocking him down and then punching him some more seems to fit that bill.

The game on the 30th should be interesting, and Lucic should be back for that one, unless the league suspends him for 3 games, which would be an absolute joke.
1. I agree with this. Fans are going to see what they want to see really. Very seldom will a fan of a team see their team do something wrong in this situation. Any way around it, from Ference's POV on the ice, it would have looked like Meyer clotheslined Lucic.

2. Only problem was when Oduya got involved, there were already 3 Boston players on Meyer. Go back and look at the video again. Meyer was getting triple teamed by the time Oduya and Stewart got there.

3. True, but when a player is standing up and being held by a ref, they should know better than to throw a punch. You know good and well it's a penalty.

4. Lucic will get a suspension. I have no idea how a suspension for a match penalty is setting a precedent, since the rule book states a match penalty includes a suspension.

5. I'd agree with this. However, so many of the young players in the league are conditioned to wear visors now. I don't really have a problem with this, because protecting one's eyesight is more important. I would argue though that when someone gets into a scrap, they know their opponent has a visor on, so it's their own doing. It's not like Kane is instigating these fights. If he was, he'd get an instigation penalty.

6. You are aware that it was Kane's second pro fight as well.

Old
12-26-2010, 10:18 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
6) Hunwick was actually Kane's third fight as a pro (Cooke, Engelland, then Hunwick) after eight bouts in the WHL. The other distinction is that we have all heard about Kane's parents being boxing fans and naming him after Holyfield...and that he has taken boxing lessons. He is clearly more of a "fighter" than Hunwick is at any rate, and his 2nd fight was with Derek Engelland, who is a pretty tough customer. Given his growing fight card, he definitely needs to lose the visor, or stop dropping them.
His fight with Engelland was actually his first fight. Cooke was his second. I actually went back and watched his first fight and well, if they hadn't fallen down so early he would have lost easily. Btw, your fighting a losing battle about this visor thing. If the other fighter has a problem with it, he'll rip the guys helmet off. All of Kane's fights have been a spur the moment kind of thing. Your not going to just stop right in the middle of it and be able to take your helmet off.

Old
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
2) I just watched the video (again), at exactly 6 seconds in, you will see Ference grabbing Meyer, the third guy on the scene is Oduya, who goes after Ference...then all the B's arrive a second or two later. If you don't believe me, take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCnaxHx9bk

3) The flip side of that is that Meyer is clearly running his yap while hiding behind the ref (ala Mike Komisarek)...he will probably think twice about doing that again I would imagine? Also, at :50 seconds of the above video, you can clearly see Stewart and Ference "hugging/clinching" and obviously Ference did not expect the punch from Stewart, which could be easily classified as "sneaky" at best, and plain "dirty" at worst. Lucic's punch was the more blatant of the two, but Stewart's was only slightly behind in the "cheap" category imo.

4) Walker got a match penalty for instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes of a game, after teams were specifically warned not to send "messages" late in games before the playoffs. The NHL rescinded the match penalty and did not suspend Walker. It would be hypocritical for the league to suspend Lucic, and at the worst, it should not be more than a game.

5) I don't have a problem with protecting one's eyes, but if you are going to fight, and have a visor, you should be removing it, even if you don't get called for an instigator...just my opinion. It should be the responsibility of the guy with the visor to remove it, not his opponent to avoid it.

6) Hunwick was actually Kane's third fight as a pro (Cooke, Engelland, then Hunwick) after eight bouts in the WHL. The other distinction is that we have all heard about Kane's parents being boxing fans and naming him after Holyfield...and that he has taken boxing lessons. He is clearly more of a "fighter" than Hunwick is at any rate, and his 2nd fight was with Derek Engelland, who is a pretty tough customer. Given his growing fight card, he definitely needs to lose the visor, or stop dropping them.
2. Just watched it again....Try it this time without the helping of Edwards' special Bruin flavored Kool Aid....

You'll notice that Oduya was the 4th person involved after Ference was already holding Meyer and Lucic had already taken one swing at him. Real tough those Bruins are....They have to take swings at guys while their teammates (and the refs) hold the other players, and work guys over while they're on their backs.....REAL tough those Bruins are.... Explains why they wouldn't go after Mat Cooke last year after he eliminated Savard's third to the last brain cell.

3. Running your yap and sucker punching a guy while he's being held by the ref are different things.....But don't you see your own hypocracy here? It's wrong when Stewart "Sucker Punches" Ference, but it's perfectly acceptable for Lucic to do it when Meyer's being held by a ref because Meyer was "running his yap." Thanks for playing our game. Have a good day.

4. It was hypocritical of the league to waive off the match penalty. Lucic is a known dirty player who goes ******* every time someone lays a solid check on him. He deserves to be suspended, just like Walker deserved to be suspended.

5. You go play with a visor on and get into a scrap. Come back and tell me if the first thing on your mind is taking your helmet off.

6. oh, boo.... now you're just reaching. Go back to the Bruins board please....

Old
12-26-2010, 11:24 AM
BreakAwayBergy

Quote:
3. Running your yap and sucker punching a guy while he's being held by the ref are different things.....But don't you see your own hypocracy here? It's wrong when Stewart "Sucker Punches" Ference, but it's perfectly acceptable for Lucic to do it when Meyer's being held by a ref because Meyer was "running his yap." Thanks for playing our game. Have a good day.
I believe the point of what he said wasn't to defend Lucic's punch, it was to point out that there were punches just as "dirty" as the one Lucic being thrown by Thrashers.
I hear people talk about the "Edwards Coolaid" as how Bruins fans are delusional, but after years of being told that anything Edwards says must be false, im starting to doubt it. Perhaps other fanbases are using that to their advantage and making up crap of their own? Seriously, take off the homer glasses and try to see things a different way.

Old
12-26-2010, 01:32 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Whatever. I just think it's hypocritical for a guy to get paid to beat up other players and then pretend there is some sort of code that governs their actions. Just drop the gloves and fight until the refs break it up...period.
Wait, how is that hypocritical? They can fight with honor, you know. Players can have a set of self-imposed rules and understandings amongst each other to ensure there is no funny business going on and both guys can have a good clean fight and nobody gets seriously injured. They may want to hurt a guy and rough him up a bit but (hopefully) nobody really wants to put someone out of play for an extended period of time. Just because they are punching each other doesn't mean it automatically has to be a dirty fight or something. That's what you're making it sound like. Often times when you hear players mic'd up during a game and one of them get into a fight, when they are done throwing, you'll hear them say "good job" or "good fight" or something. If I recall correctly you can even hear it happen on the pens-caps 24/7 thing a couple times. Fights aren't always started out of pure hatred and aggression. It's just good sportsmanship and if some players don't want to be good sports then they're going to get labeled as dirty.

Old
12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
When I said he should lose the visor, I mean permanently, not just during the fight. If he is going to keep the visor don't drop them. That goes for B's players as well.
He has no choice but to wear a visor.

Old
12-26-2010, 02:09 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
When I said he should lose the visor, I mean permanently, not just during the fight. If he is going to keep the visor don't drop them. That goes for B's players as well.

Getting rid of Edward's audio doesn't go back in time and change the sequence of events. Ference was engaged with Meyer, Lucic took a swipe and missed and then Oduya grabbed Ference...text book third man in.

I thought that we could discuss this rationally, but apparently not? Instead you start talking smack about killing the brain cells of a player who had a serious case of PCS (stay classy Atlanta). I was not saying Lucic's punch was not a cheap shot, just pointing out that Stewart was guilty of a similar thing less than 30 seconds later. And I am guilty of hypocrisy?

If Lucic is a dirty player, than I guess he's a dirty player, 29 other teams would like to have on their roster, incl Atlanta. As far as Kane goes, you made a mistake and said it was his second fight..it wasn't, how am I crying about that? Maybe he will be the one dumb enough to go after Lucic this week and shield or not, he'll get his a** handed to him.

Thank you.

Whatever. I just think it's hypocritical for a guy to get paid to beat up other players and then pretend there is some sort of code that governs their actions. Just drop the gloves and fight until the refs break it up...period.
Well, if you want to nitpick then, (Kane's 3rd NHL fight instead of 2nd....Makes a big difference right?) Wouldn't Lucic be third man in and not Oduya? You yourself just stated that Meyer hit Lucic, then Ference came in and grabbed Meyer, and then Lucic took a swing at Meyer. Oduya came in after that. Sorry my humble Southern edumacation isn't good enough, but last time I checked, 3 comes before 4.

You may have said he should lose the visor permanently if he wants to fight, but you also said Kane should have taken off his visor when the fight started..... One day very soon, visors will be mandatory equipment in the league. Maybe when that happens, guys will be more aware of wearing one in a fight. Until that happens though, guys are going to get into scraps with visors on. Deal with it.

Getting rid of Edwards' audio doesn't change the sequence of events, but also the blatant homerism isn't there. You also have to admit it's a better angle of what ACTUALLY happened. You see Ference hold Meyer and Lucic take a swing at him. That's not there in the NESN feed.

You do realize you're not changing anyone here's mind, do you? Just like I'm not going to change your mind. I'm just soooo happy an Original Six fan would take the time to come edjukate us dum sutherners on how the great sport of Ice Football is played. Thankey, Boss!

Closed Thread