HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Girlfriends or Boyfriends

Old
12-27-2010, 02:52 AM
ApeZilla

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Girlfriends or Boyfriends

Any successful conversions? It took a little while but I got my girlfriend into hockey (she was a rangers "fan", NY family, but was never really big on hockey) Now she is such a passionate Flyers fan and it's really nice to see. I myself come from a Philly family and could never really imagine rooting for any other team but she made the switch well. She's the only person I know irl that still gets upset about Upshall and it's the cutest thing ever.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Any successful conversions? It took a little while but I got my girlfriend into hockey (she was a rangers "fan", NY family, but was never really big on hockey) Now she is such a passionate Flyers fan and it's really nice to see. I myself come from a Philly family and could never really imagine rooting for any other team but she made the switch well. She's the only person I know irl that still gets upset about Upshall and it's the cutest thing ever.
If she wasn't a Flyers fan you'd want to get her pregnant from a Rangers fan, convince the guy that it wasn't his, tell him to get her an abortion, and then afterward tell him that it was his kid all along.

It's the only way to make them Flyers fans.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Flamenco

My gf wasn't much of a fan of any team her grand father played for the bruins in the 60's but when we got together I converted her to orange and black.

Her fav player is Prongs, she calls Jeff Carter a chokeartist inspired by me when his stick was lifted and he couldn't get the shot up on Neimi.

She can name probably 75% of the roster.

Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Devils to Flyers.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:49 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Girlfriend is a Devils "supporter" (She doesn't really give a ****... born in North Jersey) and won't give that up for anything.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
My girl is/was a Detroit fan, but she now loves Philly too (and hates Crosby, Subban and the other anti flyers). Luckily we dont play Detroit much so no conflict of interests. Her fav flyer is Briere, and she knows more flyers than red wings.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Bort Sampson

My girlfriend wasn't really into hockey or sports before we met, but she's a Flyers fan now. She watches games with me and we've been to a few together (two losses against the Pens).

And she became a fan during 06-07 so at least I know she'll be a fan during the bad times, too.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My girlfriend originally had zero interest in hockey. Even though we're still long distance after 4 1/2 years (long story) she'll still put the jersey on when they're playing even if she isn't watching and will watch the scores. Or if they're playing and she's with me she'll sit down and watch the game with me. I think it's fairly successful.

My stepdad went to the big Flyers-Penguins game which broke records, and he now is legitimately following the Flyers.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:39 AM
hof2120

Not a girlfriend, but I was able to get a girl into hockey and get her to be a Flyers fan. And here's the kicker, she lives in Pittsburgh! Scoooore.

But I love being able to hockey conversation with a girl who actually knows the sport. It's so awesome.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
agrudez*

I made my long time ex a Flyers fan, am having less success with my current girlfriend, though.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

My girl is a Cardinals fan and WAS... GET READY... A PENS FAN.

She now "supports" the Phillies and has completely dropped the Pens for the Flyers.

**** yeah.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Very limited success with my girlfriend of four years - she did, however, go from knowing absolutely nothing about hockey to being able to name at least half of the Flyers players. She loved when we went to a few college games though so I bet going to a few games soon will help change that. She does, however, at least make an effort to track how the Eagles and Flyers are doing in the standings.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
That was pretty much me. But no turning back now.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:33 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
My wife is a Habs fan. No chance of that changing.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I converted my girlfriend. She seems to be a lucky charm too. I've told this story before, but in Game 4 against Boston in OT she said, "I think Gagne should score now." And then he did. She has done this more than once.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
What the hell. No woman is perfect. You've probably had a few rough weeks in late Spring the last couple years though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
my girlfriend didnt like hockey much before I met her. She likes the Flyers now and is a big hockey fan. Of course we go to the Monarchs games too and its great when she goes "Zatkoff sucks". Of course she likes the goons haha. Was a big Westgarth fan before he went to LA. She really hasnt mentioned a favorite yet with the Flyers since I remind her often how much Shelley sucks haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
my condolances

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
What the hell. No woman is perfect. You've probably had a few rough weeks in late Spring the last couple years though.
She's been good about the Flyers owning her team in the playoffs. She gets more annoyed about me laughing at her saying that 1993 is a long time ago to last have won a Cup.

It's crazy ... I met her almost 7 years ago now, and the Flyers-Habs played in the playoffs what, twice since then, after not playing for like 15 years before that.

Besides, it's worth it when you get two Thanksgivings out of the deal.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
My ex is a huge Red Wings fan. I think part of what made her sexy to me was that she hated Crosby as much as I do. Sadly, no conversions, but it shows that coexistence is possible

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
My ex is a huge Red Wings fan. I think part of what made her sexy to me was that she hated Crosby as much as I do. Sadly, no conversions, but it shows that coexistence is possible
It's weird that Crosby is that important to anyone other than Sidney Crosby, that he would have an effect on what you find sexually attractive. When I'm looking at girls Sidney Crosby is about the last thing on my mind.

Just sayin'

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
DayoftheGreek

My gf never watched hockey. She is now very proud of her Giroux jersey and watches every game with me.

It took me about a year to convert her to full time flyers fan, but now I know its for real since she gets angry (almost the most angry I have ever seen her) whenever we play the penguins.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:35 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
It's weird that Crosby is that important to anyone other than Sidney Crosby, that he would have an effect on what you find sexually attractive. When I'm looking at girls Sidney Crosby is about the last thing on my mind.

Just sayin'
Oh, c'mon. You know you pop a boner when a cute girls chants Crosby sucks, especially when it is obvious by her attire that she does as well.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
i am dave

3 years ago my girlfriend hated sports in general. Now I've got her all nerdy for the Phils, Flyers, and Wings (yeah indoor lacrosse!).

We're currently working on football, but I can somewhat sympathize with people who think a 5 second play followed by 30 seconds of re-watching that same play can be boring. But at least she is perfectly content to sit on the couch and read a book while I'm watching the game(s).

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 03:53 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

My girlfriend is a Devils and Mets fan, though she loves Lappy and Utley. It's an odd mix, it's worked out so far, so good.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote