HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DP back on the IR

Old
12-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
So if DP is playing hurt every season and many IR trips are anticipated as the norm, the Isles should keep dung between the pipes since they are paying him? I think that experiment is near its end. Hopefully, the insurance can recoup some of the contract and he can bow out gracefully, and soon.
that would be ideal

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 04:14 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
While I sort of understand what you're saying here, I disagree with it because it would basically be putting DiPietro's rehab ahead of the development of the rest of the club.
Welcome to the third millennium AD on Long Island.

Quote:
Sure, playing him constantly when he returns might help him -- or it might not -- but what about the young guys like Tavares, Bailey, etc. that have to suffer while their goalie rehabs his knee during regular season games in the NHL?

This is a young and fragile team. They need confidence, not only in their own individual games, but in the belief that this team can actually win games. Putting a goalie in that isn't the best option (and playing DiPietro ahead of Roloson simply to get him back into game-shape certainly qualifies) will only make it more difficult for these players to gain that confidence/experience.
the last several years, one guy has been put ahead of the team. He dines twice a week with Wong, is attractive, has a following....and never has fixed his glaring flaws desite six goalie coaches. The owner REALLY thinks he's the be all/end all, so we see he is named the starter, has been involved in coaching controversy and the source of much drama through little fault of his own. Sure, now his ego and status may have shaped some of his character but the fault lies in the minds who selected, promoted and built this monster. This is why I feel bad for his state of physical decline to an extent, but the end game is winning games and he ain't gonna get it done after ruining his knees and hip.

But we will see his game decline for years. It did, afterall, take forever for us to lose Milbury with Wong. The shame is I could EASILY deal with Rick playing behind a workhorse like Rollie, starting few games (20?) safely spread out to bth goalies benefit.....but lackey and Wong wanted Rick to play 40-50 games this season.

Moreso than winning, as a team, one would assume.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Sorry guys, DP back off the IR and skated this morning.

Great news.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Sorry guys, DP back off the IR and skated this morning.

Great news.
Yea, it is great that Roloson will lose his grove for Rick Dryden. That .880 save percentage is tops!

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:11 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Yea, it is great that Roloson will lose his grove for Rick Dryden. That .880 save percentage is tops!
Groove is what you probably meant.

But DP was actually doing pretty well in the last few games before his swelling. Everyone just wants to find a reason to hate him, so games that goals that really weren't his fault went in, he was still blamed.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 08:21 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

But DP was actually doing pretty well in the last few games before his swelling. Everyone just wants to find a reason to hate him, so games that goals that really weren't his fault went in, he was still blamed.
Not sure id agree with you.
Right now...i don't think he should be playing in the NHL.

Rick needs a month in the AHL to see if his banged up body can play everyday.

A player with his type of surgery and history of injuries needs to really see that.

Longterm should be his focus not shorterm....

12-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:

Yes groove.

He makes the same boneheaded plays every year, he brings the criticism on himself.
Is his worst in the league save % not his fault either?

Old
12-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Yes groove.

He makes the same boneheaded plays every year, he brings the criticism on himself.
Is his worst in the league save % not his fault either?
I'm not one to praise the Islanders organization, but what they're doing is generally right - they need him to prove to himself that his body can't handle this. That's the only way they'll amicably work out a retirement settlement. They need to give him every opportunity now, when - frankly - it doesn't matter that much.

That said, he should only be playing a backup role - once every 3.5 games or so.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
tomcat13

Ricky DiPietro Wang < just SUCKS. He's and embarrassment and should be ashamed to put on an NHL jersey. He needs to retire. I know if I were a player on the Islanders, and my contract was up, there's no way in hell I'd play for that mess of an organization.

It's a damned shame too, the Isles aren't a bad team with Rolo in the net.

tomcat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:12 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat13 View Post
Ricky DiPietro Wang < just SUCKS. He's and embarrassment and should be ashamed to put on an NHL jersey. He needs to retire. I know if I were a player on the Islanders, and my contract was up, there's no way in hell I'd play for that mess of an organization.

Wow. I'mno fan of The Rick, never have been. But he is an Islander and i can't hate on him like this. I hate his game, and the attitude he brings which diminishes his game. I think he is pretty much done as a pro athlete because of the injury history, and I think his retirement will be benficial to the team and himself.
But if he were to fully recover at some point, and was able to elevate his play to the level that his supporters always fantacized he was at (and never was), i would be happy.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat13 View Post
Ricky DiPietro Wang < just SUCKS. He's and embarrassment and should be ashamed to put on an NHL jersey. He needs to retire. I know if I were a player the Islanders, and my contract was up, there's no way in hell I'd play for that mess of an organization.

From Botta....

Roloson is 13th in the NHL with a 2.38 GAA and 13th with a .920 save percentage.

Old
12-27-2010, 02:27 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

No goals are ever his fault.

And everyone HATES HIM, not his game. They are all SOOO jealous.

But seriously, he's been good 20% of the time, awful the rest. He's been good 20%, great 20% and awful the rest when he was healthy. It's not hatred but frustration that we have. Someone with talent and ZERO discipline as our forever goalie angers us. Then he gets hurt.....and we see decent goalies and then Rollie comes. Now? We won't miss his goaltending if he disappeared.

If that's hatred? I guess we're demonic with hate. I just want a winner between the pipes.

But I also want Rick to retire with dignity. He's a good guy.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote