HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trevor Lewis in Future Plans as a Top 9 Player?

Old
12-28-2010, 12:01 AM
MxK1NGS

vCash: 500
Trevor Lewis in Future Plans as a Top 9 Player?

Does anyone think he could still be in the future plans? From talks before it has seemed almost as if he is done and a 1st round bust. Does he have what it takes to be in the top 9? Right now he is working it up on the 4th line with Richy, I wonder what he can do on the 2nd or 1st line?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:07 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Doubt he is in the "plans". But I could see him taking a spot.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Doubt he is in the "plans". But I could see him taking a spot.
What? He was drafted in the first round for a reason. He was compared to Rod Brindamour for a reason.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:24 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What? He was drafted in the first round for a reason. He was compared to Rod Brindamour for a reason.
Because guys like Kitsyn, Toffoli, Loki and Schenn have more offensive upside.

Plus, there aren't many spots open long-term.

? - Kopitar - Brown
?(Kitsyn or Loki?)- Schenn - Toffoli?
Clifford - Stoll - Simmonds

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 12-28-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old
12-28-2010, 12:25 AM
KingLB

Ironic that he is playing with Richie because that is who I think his game will be modeled after. And will most likely be a reason Richie isn't brought back...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
He's only turning 24 in January. This is how the Wings do it. Let them come up through the system and earn their place on the team. I'm sure Lewis would love to win a cup playing on the fourth line. Richardson too.

Doesn't matter what round you are picked. Play your game and play hard every shift.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Lewis is like an upgraded Zeiler. Not as much of a hitter but a nuisance with his speed. Love his versatility. We still don't really know what he can do or will be able to do with skill players, being that most of the Kings bottom nine has been playing a gritty cycling game for 90% of the season so far. Would think that he could ideally fill a Sturm-like complementary role in the future, potting some goals and using his speed to make space for linemates. Even if he can't perform there, he's good enough defensively and on the PK to make an impact as a fourth liner.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Bottom six player. One that can skate and take faceoffs. These type of players are integral to winning a Stanley Cup and Lombardi and intelligent hockey people know this, I hope he stays for many years.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:08 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Bottom six player. One that can skate and take faceoffs. These type of players are integral to winning a Stanley Cup and Lombardi and intelligent hockey people know this, I hope he stays for many years.
This.

Bottom six depth is important and Lewis brings more depth for the Kings. Rolling out 4 good lines is very important on stretches like the ones were currently in right now because we're going to need depth come playoff time where you play a lot of high intensity games in a short time.

I also like the speed Richie and Lewis bring to the games, they fly all over the place on the ice and keep coming at you like you stirred the hornets nest. Bzzzz.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Whiskeypete

i think he will be destined for a bottom 6 role. im praying DL can put together a #3 or #4 line that is all speed. LA hasn't had that since the early 90s, with Granato/Millen.

for the Kings to have 4 lines that can put great to good scoring pressure on for 60-minutes is a dream come true. throw in a speed line and it really causes issues for an opposing coach and team. how do you counter LA's #1 and #2, then try counter a speed line. someplace, somewhere they will come up short. speed kills and you can't teach speed.

for Lewis/Richie/Sturm would be downright scary. this is of course demanding that DL is able to secure a LW for the #1 that isn't coming off knee surgeries and pushing 33. Sturm is a great acquistion for the near term, but the hunt it still on for the #1 line.

anyways just my random $.02 late at night....

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:26 AM
William H Bonney

I've been so impressed by him this year. He wasn't getting any luck to start the year regarding his offense but I think he's better there than he's shown, at least statistically. The one thing he really, really needs to dedicate himself to improving, especially this off-season is his face-off ability. I think Lewis can/will be an elite 4th liner regardless but could be a good 3rd liner as well if he rounds out his offensive game/face-off ability. He could always move to wing as well.

He reminds me of Patrick Eaves.

12-28-2010, 03:18 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Hes been playing pretty well! I like his game!

like Mr. I said, i hope he stays on the team for years

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:30 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Lewis is a bottom 6 guy, but he'll be a #1 PK unit kind of guy eventually, believe me, I'm so happy he scored tonight, what a huge goal. Props to Terry Murray for having faith and confidence in him and keeping him in the lineup

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:02 AM
losingsand

I've always thought the kings were missing this type of player. A speedy PK'er to fill out the bottom six.

Last i can think of is Belanger who was a solid speedy 3rd liner in the frenzy on fig days. I think having a guy like this is really important... sure we've had solid bottom 6 but i've always loved having the aspect of SPEED down there. A player like Todd Marchant... that kinda thing.

Something i've noticed is that TM is putting TL right there on the first PK unit. Out of all the great guys we have, he's been putting Lewis out there first. This is saying a lot of what TM and organization think about his development.

Would like to see a tinge more bite in his game, but that stuff usually comes with more experience. Drewiske had the same issue, was solid in all aspects but now that he's more comfortable he's gotten feisty. I think Lewis could use this tool to help him round out his role.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Defgarden

He's getting better every game. It seems like when his confidence grows, he's able to make better plays. He's shown some bits of skill. I'm not sure how it all shakes up in the end, but with Kopi, Stoll, Zues, taking center now, and Loktionov and Schenn in waiting, I think he's solid at 4th line right now.

It at least gives the team some flexibility when deciding whether to keep Handzus and Stoll.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Orenji

He'll be our 4th line center for years to come with Schenn/Loktionov fighting to see who gets to be our 2nd line center.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Loktionov isn't going to remain a center. He's going to be converted to wing. Schenn will remain as a center.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Because guys like Kitsyn, Toffoli, Loki and Schenn have more offensive upside.

Plus, there aren't many spots open long-term.

? - Kopitar - Brown
?(Kitsyn or Loki?)- Schenn - Toffoli?
Clifford - Stoll - Simmonds
Man I just don't get it with some of you guys. All those guys are nice prospects but they are PROSPECTS. Lewis is proving he can be an NHL player and making himself more and more useful every game. Can some of those PROSPECTS surpass him down the line? Probably but enough with putting the cart before the horse.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Man I just don't get it with some of you guys. All those guys are nice prospects but they are PROSPECTS. Lewis is proving he can be an NHL player and making himself more and more useful every game. Can some of those PROSPECTS surpass him down the line? Probably but enough with putting the cart before the horse.
It's called tempering expectations.

Lewis averaged slightly over a PPG in Juniors, while Schenn, Loki and Toffoli have averaged over 1.5 PPG. Toffoli is averaging nearly a GPG right now.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
BringTheReign

He's doing great on the 4th line right now, that's all that matters. Maybe he'll stay in that role, and be damn good at it. Maybe he'll get better, or maybe he'll fall off the face of the planet. I don't care, as long as he helps the team, and he definitely is right now.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Ummm ... he's got ALL of TWO goals so far ... let's not get crazy now YET

How about maybe more like a Part of LA's future version a 'Grind line' ?

ala - Kirk Maltby - Kris Draper - Joe Kocur/Darren McCarty

LA's 2012-2018 version Robert Czarnik - Trevor Lewis - Westgarth/Clifford ???? hmmmmmm

edit: or after thinking a bit more about it, we won't keep Handzus and Stoll forever,
a 3rd line / "grind line" of Clifford - Lewis - Simmonds ... sounds pretty darn good too

onward and upward to a run of many cups boyz

Last edited by Puck U: 12-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:35 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

^ I'm with you, Puck.

Old
12-28-2010, 02:56 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Loktionov isn't going to remain a center. He's going to be converted to wing. Schenn will remain as a center.
I don't see Lokti taking up a Centre spot either. The top three are probably filled up for the future with Kopitar, Schenn, Stoll. Though I would prefer to have Schenn start out on the third line, like Jordan Staal.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
It's called tempering expectations.

Lewis averaged slightly over a PPG in Juniors, while Schenn, Loki and Toffoli have averaged over 1.5 PPG. Toffoli is averaging nearly a GPG right now.
That is all well and good but what you do in Juniors won't necessarily translate to the NHL level. The past doesn't dictate the future. If we are managing expectations, we shouldn't assume any of those guys will even have an NHL career. How many players get drafted and never pan out? Most right?

All of those guys will have the opportunity to prove themselves including Lewis. Lewis has become an effective player at the NHL level already and who knows if he will continue to. I personally think he has the tools to be on an NHL roster long term. The guy may have two goals but he has been getting 4th line minutes/linemates and PK time for the most part (with the exception of a few games). Not a whole lot of offensive oppurtunity there and he is also in his first year in the NHL.

I don't think anyone is more than penciled into future plans so I say don't count him out.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I don't see Lokti taking up a Centre spot either. The top three are probably filled up for the future with Kopitar, Schenn, Stoll. Though I would prefer to have Schenn start out on the third line, like Jordan Staal.
Unfortunately I disagree with the both of you...
Schenn will be a left winger. Not slick enough to be a 2nd line centre and not fast enough. However, he could fill a physical talented 2nd line lw role... Interested to find out who is correct.
As for Lewis.... This thread is ridic as no team plans for a 3rd liner long term... Watch our 3rd liner as a UFA disappear. Handzus(He was signed as a 1st liner). 4 million. He came up big in certain situations and won us some big games in shootouts but we wasted atleast 4 million on this guy over the course of the contract....
Lewis might get 2 million/yr during his career at some pt but.....by no means is he in the plans... Moulson/Boyle/Purcell are head and shoulders above this guy and look what happened to them playing under the wrong offensive system.

Last edited by Hollywood: 12-29-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote