HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rolston officially on re-entry waivers [cleared]

Old
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Minnesota.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Maybe Rolston should have worried about Lou's cap?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Vitto79

if he only has one year left and its half the contract I think he gets picked up. Atlanta may be a good spot for him or a team like that

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Look at TO's roster.

No old farts.

Oldest guy is Giguere, a 33yr old goaltender.
If I were Toronto I'd claim him. What's the downside? The Leafs arent tanking because they don't own their #1 pick. If he gets back at least being a 20 goal scorer then it's a good deal. If he doesnt the leafs waive him next year, put him on reentry waivers and someone will def pick him up for 1/2 of 2.5 mill.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
If I were Toronto I'd claim him. What's the downside? The Leafs arent tanking because they don't own their #1 pick. If he gets back at least being a 20 goal scorer then it's a good deal. If he doesnt the leafs waive him next year, put him on reentry waivers and someone will def pick him up for 1/2 of 2.5 mill.
Downside is if he doesn't bounce back and plays like he has this year for 2.5 against the cap. If it were a 1 year deal I'd do it but I don't want him next year

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
Downside is if he doesn't bounce back and plays like he has this year for 2.5 against the cap. If it were a 1 year deal I'd do it but I don't want him next year
You could as Toronto work out a deal that if they do pick him up and he doesnt hit a certain mark in terms of points then NJ would have to take him back next year. Say this off season if Rolston bombs out Toronto can send Rolston back to New Jersey for an exchange of 7th round picks in 2011. Something could be worked out if Toronto or someone else wants him but doesnt want to be stuck entirely with 2.5 mill of cap space next year if Rolston shows he's completely done as a player.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:56 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Doesn't work that way. If he were to be claimed on re-entry by toronto, then they place him on re-entry next year and another team claims him, toronto and the claiming team would both be on the hook for 2.5 mil and the devils would be off the hook.

The cap hit can only be halved once, no matter what happens to the player.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
The cap is going up next year so it would be like adding Rolston for free. Burke will do whatever he can to get his team a little extra push this year cause seing Chiarelli at the podium selecting a top 5 pick for the 2nd straight year will piss off alot of people in Toronto, including Burke himself.

Rolston isn't lighting the league on fire but he can be a solid asset on your 2nd/3rd line instead of the guys you have at the moment, no?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
TOML

Quote:
Wasted cap space.

He's not a center. Let lone a legit top-line center.

He's not a power forward either.

He's not effective anymore.

And he takes a spot away from a kid who needs to spend this season to learn how to play the game.

But i suppose TO could pick him up anyway. It's TO.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:15 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Wasted cap space.

He's not a center. Let lone a legit top-line center.

He's not a power forward either.

He's not effective anymore.

And he takes a spot away from a kid who needs to spend this season to learn how to play the game.

But i suppose TO could pick him up anyway. It's TO.
Rolston is better than any bottom 6 forward the Leafs have on their roster and like I sayd earlier, Burke doesn't want to see Chiarelli at the podium selecting another top 5 pick so adding a veteran player for peanuts this year since we are already at the halfway point of the season and 2.5M$ the next year whitout giving up any assets isn't that bad of a idea.

If the Leafs had a 1st, I would be on your side cause "improving" a team that looks like it's about to have a lottery pick wouldn't be a smart move.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
airlouche

I think he will clear re-entry too.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:36 PM
beastly115

I could see Burke grabbing him at 2.5M. Burke's neck is in the noose and it can't really hurt to pick up a guy at half price and not give up any assets for him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Maybe Rolston should have worried about Lou's cap?
Maybe the Kings should stop worrying about the Devils and go win a Cup sometime?

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Rolston is better than any bottom 6 forward the Leafs have on their roster and like I sayd earlier, Burke doesn't want to see Chiarelli at the podium selecting another top 5 pick so adding a veteran player for peanuts this year since we are already at the halfway point of the season and 2.5M$ the next year whitout giving up any assets isn't that bad of a idea.

If the Leafs had a 1st, I would be on your side cause "improving" a team that looks like it's about to have a lottery pick wouldn't be a smart move.
If he's a bottom-six player at $2.5mil (5mil), then he's not worth picking up. Even for TO.

Remember, NJ is waiving Rolston. And NJ is even worse than TO this season.

Rolston does nothing to help TO avoid lottery position this season. But perhaps he 'helps' them next season en route to another lottery. But Burke will probably feel compelled to trade that pick too.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
JimEIV

I really hope that Lou has worked something out prior to doing this. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:48 PM
apice3*

Just looking at contending teams with cap space and the teams I noticed are the Avalanche, Blues, Stars, Thrashers, and Lightning. Any chance that any of those teams would claim him?

Old
12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I really hope that Lou has worked something out prior to doing this. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.
Why doesn't it? What's the penalty if no one claims him? That we remain the worst team in the league with Rolston? I don't see any risk here. If a team claims him, great, we're off the hook for 2.5 mil. If no one claims him, we're in the same position we're in right now.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I could see Burke grabbing him at 2.5M. Burke's neck is in the noose and it can't really hurt to pick up a guy at half price and not give up any assets for him.
Burke's neck isnt anywhere close to a noose. Hes got the complete support of his bosses.

That said, I wouldnt be surprised if the Leafs picked him up. I also wouldnt be shocked if this was a condition of a trade between NJ and the Leafs. Burke said hes looking to pull the trigger soon on a forward.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
forthewild

Someone is going to claim him he can contribute and at 2.5mil he's a decent player

How would it work if he were to get claimed then traded? would his cap be 2.5 or 5mil, because if you could trade him for 2.5mil some teams could be interested.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

That contract is brutal... they don't get cap relief from him playing in Albany

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Someone is going to claim him he can contribute and at 2.5mil he's a decent player

How would it work if he were to get claimed then traded? would his cap be 2.5 or 5mil, because if you could trade him for 2.5mil some teams could be interested.
That scenario unfolded last year for another former NJD, Jay Leach. He was picked up on re-entry by MTL and later traded to SJS. Even when in SJS, NJD retained half of his cap hit on their books, but MTL was able to transfer their half to SJS because as part of the trade.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
NJDevils66621

No team will take him unless we already have him packaged in a trade for 1/2 price.

NJDevils66621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Why doesn't it? What's the penalty if no one claims him? That we remain the worst team in the league with Rolston? I don't see any risk here. If a team claims him, great, we're off the hook for 2.5 mil. If no one claims him, we're in the same position we're in right now.
The Devils are a fragile team right now. If he is leaving ok, but if not, where is he going? Are you actually going to keep him on the team?

Hey Brian, Nobody wants you and we don't either. Come on in and further infect this lockerroom....I'm sure he'll be all smiles after this.

If now one claims him are the Devils actually going to send him to Ablany? Are the Devils going to pay him 5M for this year and next to play in Albany? That doesn't make sense.

He can not be around after this.

Structurely and financially we'll be in the same position, the room will be in a much worse state than it is already. A lot of this instability is because the players knew something like this was going to happen from the begining of the season and many of them have said so....So by keeping him around you magnify the problem and continue leaving everyone thinking who is next. It just isn't healthy. It didn't light a fire the first time and wont do anything but create more negetivity this time...

Again, I sure hope Lou has a plan.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Yeah, i'm going with he probably won't be picked up at $2.5mil.
Math has never been my strong suit, but if Rolston were claimed on re-entry now, wouldn't it be a matter of him being picked at $1.25 mil for the remainder of this season (and then $2.5 mil next season)?

Half of his salary has already been paid this season.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Math has never been my strong suit, but if Rolston were claimed on re-entry now, wouldn't it be a matter of him being picked at $1.25 mil for the remainder of this season (and then $2.5 mil next season)?

Half of his salary has already been paid this season.
No. Rolston's full season cap hit is about $5 million and change. Technically cap hit is also calculated daily. According to Capgeek, Rolston's daily hit is roughly about $27,000 without accounting for any bonuses. So if a team claimed him on reentry, they get hit with $13,500 towards their daily limit and NJ keeps the other half for the remainder of the contract.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote