HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#37 - 12.27.2010 | New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-28-2010, 05:17 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers played really well offensively...pretty well in the neutral zone, and were a frikkin horror show in their own zone. thankfully the vast majority of the play was in the neutral and offensive zones.

AA was an absolute machine today. not sure how many points he got..maybe just 1...but he was so damn noticeable...dominating for much of his shifts. similarly Dubinsky. that whole trio of Drury with Dubi and AA was outstanding...all 3 were just awesome. MZA was pretty good...not nearly as noticeable as he was in his first game. but still i liked what i saw. Boyle with feds and prust were awesome as usual..just love that trio. Avery had an awful game imho, as did Rozsival.
Rangers beat up on a tired team last nite. Isles were coming off a big win the nite before on the Island, in the blizzard. They looked very flat against us. They had absolutley no energy, no pressure and were late to the puck the entire nite with many turnovers. It's no wonder we dominated in the offensive zone. Very unlike the Isles not to be cranked up to play us.

That said, we now have won 3 in a row against them. Maybe we finally got their number. Still,... The Isles looked nothing like the team that beat MTL the nite before, and you could tell they were in trouble from the get go. Like ColonialsHockey10 had mentioned, you could tell we would destroy them even when we were down.

Still, give the Rangers credit for going about their business and getting the job done. Especially with Hank not being very sharp to start the game. Rangers kept the pressure on Roloson with 51 shots, and gave Hank a breather in return.

Is it me or does Drury look out of place no matter where he plays? Other than the PK or faceoff circles? He can't even do a simple dump and chase like Prust! Granted, his timing might still be off, so he might not be in position for rebounds, or passes and such,.. but a simple dump and chase? If he doesn't start scoring soon, it will be very noticeable he doesn't belong on the ice other than to take faceoffs or kill a penalty.

As well as AA and Dubi played,.. it did not benefit Drury at all. Cally woulda had a hatrick last nite!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Ola

Good game by our guys. A gift wrap by Roloston, there is no way denying that, but as he left in extreme softies, Islanders backed down and we took advantage of that.

Like someone mentioned earlier, STAAL, and IMO GIRARDI too, really struggled early in the game but ROZI had a hell of a game and carried the load nicely.

I am not sold on MZA-STEPAN-GABBY against another team the the Islanders... Their only source to create offense and get into the attacking zone is to be cute, and I wonder if Step and MZA is ready for that? Like it was their first game together last night, and you need time and chemistry in order to be cute, and they had a few nice shifts last night -- but at the same time the competition will be much tougher against other teams too...

I can not help it, and I've held it back for a long time, I LOVE FEDETENKO's play. I just love it. The kid is playing phenomenal disciplined hockey. Not overall, but in terms of being clutch, his play reminds me of like Bobby Holik's in his best days in NJ... He wins every freakin battle. He is always at the right place at the right time. I have never been so wrong on a player before. Never. I saw him live for Pits in STHLM last season, and he was one of the worst NHLer I've ever seen. Creds to Torts too for getting him going.

DEREK STEPAN is showing fantastic potential. This kid have it in him to become a fantastic hockeyplayer.

I wrote several times last season how BRIAN BOYLE is the prototype of a forward who needs to be given time, time and more time. Slats have usually gambled on someone like Boyle, and then given up on him after a half, or at best, one, season. This time Boyle sneaked back onto the team -- and its paying dividents. NJD have had a lot of success in the east with a team full of players they just gave time and coached. Its time that we try that in NY too from time to another. I did not like Enver Lisin really, but he was another player like that. Like I wrote when we first got him too, if you don't plan to give a player like that 24 month -- like almost no matter what -- you should never even consider getting him.

MATT GILROY scored 2 goals and everyone hails him. I don't know, I thought he struggled... It's good that he comes in and have a good game. Depth on the blueline never hurts. But for Gilroy its all about establishing a level were he can open up the ice by PASSING the puck up ice on a regular basis. Shift after shift. Game in and game out. When he can do that -- his skating and finess ability will enhance his game. Untill he can do that, he is a borderline NHLer. This kid was rushed. He should have seen more time in the AHL.

On the POWER PLAY, this is the KEY to our season. You imidiately see that someone like MZA is a quality power play-player, but we have too few of them. Last night, we had zero of them on the blueline on the PP. Way way way to often as simple pass along the boards is mishandled, a player think he have time, but is pressured and losses the puck, or its the other way around, a player have time but stresses it. We are on to something though with the trioka of MZA, Gabby and Step -- for sure. If MDZ can get back up to the level he had last season, we will have four guys. But can Step and MDZ work together on the blueline, or is it too risky?

ALEX FROLOV is overrated. Always have been. I've never seen him play a very good game, only make highlight plays. You can't live on those...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
tavares does a lot of good things out there...would LOVE to have him on the Rangers...but hes nowhere near good enough to do it on his own. man he would look good with a guy like Gabby or Dubi.
For the sake of playing devil's advocate, how does he look with Streit turning the play and Okposo on his wing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Roloston
Is that the love child of Brian Rolston and Dwayne Roloson?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:57 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Good game by our guys. A gift wrap by Roloston, there is no way denying that, but as he left in extreme softies, Islanders backed down and we took advantage of that.

Like someone mentioned earlier, STAAL, and IMO GIRARDI too, really struggled early in the game but ROZI had a hell of a game and carried the load nicely.

I am not sold on MZA-STEPAN-GABBY against another team the the Islanders... Their only source to create offense and get into the attacking zone is to be cute, and I wonder if Step and MZA is ready for that? Like it was their first game together last night, and you need time and chemistry in order to be cute, and they had a few nice shifts last night -- but at the same time the competition will be much tougher against other teams too...

I can not help it, and I've held it back for a long time, I LOVE FEDETENKO's play. I just love it. The kid is playing phenomenal disciplined hockey. Not overall, but in terms of being clutch, his play reminds me of like Bobby Holik's in his best days in NJ... He wins every freakin battle. He is always at the right place at the right time. I have never been so wrong on a player before. Never. I saw him live for Pits in STHLM last season, and he was one of the worst NHLer I've ever seen. Creds to Torts too for getting him going.

DEREK STEPAN is showing fantastic potential. This kid have it in him to become a fantastic hockeyplayer.

I wrote several times last season how BRIAN BOYLE is the prototype of a forward who needs to be given time, time and more time. Slats have usually gambled on someone like Boyle, and then given up on him after a half, or at best, one, season. This time Boyle sneaked back onto the team -- and its paying dividents. NJD have had a lot of success in the east with a team full of players they just gave time and coached. Its time that we try that in NY too from time to another. I did not like Enver Lisin really, but he was another player like that. Like I wrote when we first got him too, if you don't plan to give a player like that 24 month -- like almost no matter what -- you should never even consider getting him.

MATT GILROY scored 2 goals and everyone hails him. I don't know, I thought he struggled... It's good that he comes in and have a good game. Depth on the blueline never hurts. But for Gilroy its all about establishing a level were he can open up the ice by PASSING the puck up ice on a regular basis. Shift after shift. Game in and game out. When he can do that -- his skating and finess ability will enhance his game. Untill he can do that, he is a borderline NHLer. This kid was rushed. He should have seen more time in the AHL.

On the POWER PLAY, this is the KEY to our season. You imidiately see that someone like MZA is a quality power play-player, but we have too few of them. Last night, we had zero of them on the blueline on the PP. Way way way to often as simple pass along the boards is mishandled, a player think he have time, but is pressured and losses the puck, or its the other way around, a player have time but stresses it. We are on to something though with the trioka of MZA, Gabby and Step -- for sure. If MDZ can get back up to the level he had last season, we will have four guys. But can Step and MDZ work together on the blueline, or is it too risky?

ALEX FROLOV is overrated. Always have been. I've never seen him play a very good game, only make highlight plays. You can't live on those...
Good post! Like the comments on Fedotenko and Boyle.

As overated as Frolov is,... I believe he's still a good fit for this team. He might not be the 30 goal scorer we had hoped, but he certainly hasn't hurt us being on the ice. He's been very strong defensively this year, and is working very hard in the corners with success. So even though his numbers are low, I feel he fits well with our style of play.

Drury on the other hand, works just as hard and has less success. I can't remember the last time he won a battle on the boards and came away with the puck? He's not nearly as strong as Frolov on the puck either. I'm a bit disappointed in his progress since his return. Torts is trying to get him going on a couple of lines and so far he's been ineffective. I couldn't take my eyes off of AA and Dubi last nite, yet Drury was invisible on that line.

Gilroy only seems to play well when he has confidence. He played well defensively and I'm sure that led to his confidence on the offensive end. When he's not playing well defensively, he falls apart. Knowing he'll probably sit the next game.

I need to see more of MZA before commenting. He has shown flashes of his offensive talent but I need to see more.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:35 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Islanders are going to be a completely different team in 2~3 years.
Other then the fact they will be in Hamilton or Kansas City I'm not sure I agree. They've sucked for 20 years, nothing much is going to change in the next 2 years.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:

I think that Boyle is a bit different because he really identified something that was holding him back a lot and went out and fixed it, and that made a big difference in his game.

With someone like Lisin, the thing holding him back was much harder to fix...and in general, most guys can't really identify that thing holding them back and truly fix it the way Boyle did.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think that Boyle is a bit different because he really identified something that was holding him back a lot and went out and fixed it, and that made a big difference in his game.

With someone like Lisin, the thing holding him back was much harder to fix...and in general, most guys can't really identify that thing holding them back and truly fix it the way Boyle did.
I don't post much anymore, but pretty point on.

We're always hearing about how players worked on this and that in the off-season, but more often than not, from watching these players daily for sometimes seasons and seasons, I notice that there is no improvement in those areas. Boyle has definitely improved.

I wish other players could step up to the plate the way Boyle has.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:06 AM
msv957

This game just shows how much depth this team has. Any given line can get hot for any particular game and carry the team to a victory. The addition of Drury is noticeable and this all without Callahan and Prospal!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
This game just shows how much depth this team has. Any given line can get hot for any particular game and carry the team to a victory. The addition of Drury is noticeable and this all without Callahan and Prospal!
noticeably bad

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
noticeably bad
Oh stop. 4 points in 6 games and he's been bad?

12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
noticeably bad
You have such blind hate for drury. He has 4 points in 6 games, and he just came back, he is playing people that are in mid-season form. His faceoffs and PK have been good so far as well. His faceoffs have even helped the PP a lot by winning big offensive zone draws, so we can set up a powerplay.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
You have such blind hate for drury. He has 4 points in 6 games, and he just came back, he is playing people that are in mid-season form. His faceoffs and PK have been good so far as well. His faceoffs have even helped the PP a lot by winning big offensive zone draws, so we can set up a powerplay.
as a fan who bashed drury in the past i can see why Sather kept him over Gomez. he does alot of little things even when he doesnt score. Drury has been good so far since he came back

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:38 AM
alkurtz

Also don't post much but here are some thoughts:

Stepan is a most interesting case: just how good can a player be with elite vision, elite passing ability and elite hockey smarts, but only average skating ability? It will be fascinating to watch his career develop.

Anisimov is another fascinating case; a rare player with hybrid Russian/North American skills. His instincts tell him to play east/west but his training tells him north/south. How will be develop?

MZA: what he brings to the table is needed offensive energy and creativity. Is the effort the result of being a newcomer and will it taper off? If he plays with energy all the time, can he sustain that energy level over a whole season?

Rozy: admire the fact that he has made the transition from a defenseman with some offensive abilities to a player who knows he has lost a step and now plays within his abilities. Some D (like Redden) never learn that or make that transition.

Boyle: have to love that fact that he evaluated his game, realized what he had to do, and did something about it. He might never be more than a 3rd liner, but last year I would have said he was never going to be more than a 4th liner. Shows his smarts and dedication.

Prust: likewise. A 4th liner who by shear guts and determination has made himself into a 3rd liner.

Duby: Just a good, old-fashioned, hard-nosed hockey player who seems to be leveling out his inconsistent play. Sometimes amazed at how good his skating has become. I think some Ranger fans undervalue him; other organizations salivate over him.

Cally: classic overachiever and me miss him.

Staal: every time I think he is making that jump to the same level as other elite young defensemen, he takes a step back. But does anyone play more minutes against the other team's top players. I need to try to value him more.

Girardi: developing into a classic, veteran, dman who depends on smarts and experience to get the job done.

Drury: doing all he can to be the leader of the time off the ice. Can no longer be a leader on the ice but still does many little things well and is doing a darn good job.

Frolov: who knows, I don't understand it.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Recently spent a lot of time away from home, saw many games on CenterIce and listened to many other color commentators. I came home realizing that Micheletti is not that bad! I couldn't stand him before. Now I've come to appreciate him. His analysis is often spot-on and better than almost anyone else I heard. He is having a great year!

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Exactly. Salary aside, Drury is a valuable part of this team. He can do it all in any situation that is needed. He has experience in winning a cup and quite possibly could get a clutch goal when needed. He has been very noticeable and Torts is aware of this.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post

Duby: Just a good, old-fashioned, hard-nosed hockey player who seems to be leveling out his inconsistent play. Sometimes amazed at how good his skating has become. I think some Ranger fans undervalue him; other organizations salivate over him.
Most definitely.

Quote:
Staal: every time I think he is making that jump to the same level as other elite young defensemen, he takes a step back. But does anyone play more minutes against the other team's top players. I need to try to value him more.
I think we expect a little much out of Staal...demanding that he produce offensively at a relatively high level while still being a shutdown defenseman. He's making strides but it's pretty tough to actually develop offense and maintain the same level of defense unless that was your game all along (and with Staal, it really hasn't been). I see him get caught pinching a little too much lately, but generally he hasn't been too wildly out of position and has been producing after getting PP time, so that's good. Pretty sure that he'll round into a chronically underappreciated around the league defenseman, but be hugely valuable to the Rangers. I think he's already underappreciated around the league

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Great stuff Alkurtz.

Stepan is todays Mike Ridley, I watch tape of both players back to back and I see a world of similarities, just not sure too many around here remember or actually saw him play back in the 80's

I actually think Stepan could be better than that, but for now, I think that's a fair comparison.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Great stuff Alkurtz.

Stepan is todays Mike Ridley, I watch tape of both players back to back and I see a world of similarities, just not sure too many around here remember or actually saw him play back in the 80's

I actually think Stepan could be better than that, but for now, I think that's a fair comparison.
We've talked about it before BN, but that was an awful trade. Bobby Friggin' Carpenter. Feh.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
We've talked about it before BN, but that was an awful trade. Bobby Friggin' Carpenter. Feh.
Yikes, I am away for how long and good to see that some old debates never end. Now all I need to see is a Tominator discussion.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Yikes, I am away for how long and good to see that some old debates never end. Now all I need to see is a Tominator discussion.
Wanna chat Lefebvre?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather be a lion for one day than a mouse for life?

Quote:
Wow are you a sight for sore eyes

Toms still plays ! He's on his 4th team since joining the Swiss league

Quote:
Wanna chat Lefebvre?
Everytime someone bashes Rosy I think didnt you see that puke Lefebvre play? Or Stephane Quintal

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:52 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Wait, where's Dave Karpa?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Thread needs more Igor Ulanov and Rich Pilon.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Please, the name is "Putty", ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Everytime someone bashes Rosy I think didnt you see that puke Lefebvre play? Or Stephane Quintal
Obviously, you guys are forgetting the unforgettable Karpa-Ulanov pairing.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Please, the name is "Putty", ok?

Obviously, you guys are forgetting the unforgettable Karpa-Ulanov pairing.
Good ol' Krapanov.

And where is Bobo the Clown?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

wow, ppl thought drury played bad last night? I thought he was outstanding. Not sure if he generated any scoring chances for himself, but he constantly got in there and kept dead plays going. i felt he had a strong game...as strong as AA and Dubi? Probably not...but really strong nonetheless.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote