HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Del Zotto to Connecticut?

Old
12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Del Zotto to Connecticut?

@AGrossRecord: Tortorella does not discount possibility of sending Del Zotto to Connecticut (AHL) in order to get him playing time.

Just thought this was interesting. Discuss.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Eh, I don't know. I'm an advocate of sitting Del Guido for a few games, but sending him down? He has nothing to prove at that level, and I can't imagine it doing much to develop his game. Maybe he'll tear it up and develop confidence or something...though his confidence would probably also be shot by a demotion.

All in all, I'm skeptical such a move would help him. Though I'm open to trying it. If Girlroy continues to play well, MDZ needs to play somewhere.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Im actually torn on this one.

Its obvious that MDZ will be a scratch again vs New Jersey barring an injury. But I dont see us being able to continue to play Gilroy at LD against solid offensive teams in the future.

Perhpas as a temporary measure, but I would like to see Vtank brought up in that case for the duration.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Slick Rick 61

It's a tough decision, but there's no way he's playing Wednesday. If Gilroy feeds off this and plays well, someone else would really have to hit the wall to play themself into the pressbox. If he sits for a few games, I'm all for sending him for a short time, just to get some games in.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
It's a tough decision, but there's no way he's playing Wednesday. If Gilroy feeds off this and plays well, someone else would really have to hit the wall to play themself into the pressbox. If he sits for a few games, I'm all for sending him for a short time, just to get some games in.
yea because Rozsival has done everything to stay in the lineup. scratch Rozsival make him watch and play Del Zotto. why cant Rozsival get scratched for his mistakes

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Maybe he'll tear it up and develop confidence or something...though his confidence would probably also be shot by a demotion.
As opposed to multi-game benchings and essay writing assignments?

HFD doesn't play again until Saturday, so I think you can afford to wait until after the Devil game to decide if he's back for the weekend. If he's not, playing the Whalepack's weekend games couldn't hurt.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I wouldn't mind that. DZ's game is nowhere near the level it was a season ago...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
XLJ

Gilroy scored 2 lucky goals against an Islanders team that was awful. The only way Del Zotto should be sent down is if he is sitting for an extended period of time, which I dont think will happen. Gilroy isn't that good.

Torts should play Del Zotto on the bottom pair with Sauer and play Eminger on the 2nd pair. Torts just need to cut down his minutes.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
yea because Rozsival has done everything to stay in the lineup. scratch Rozsival make him watch and play Del Zotto. why cant Rozsival get scratched for his mistakes
Oh please. Anyone who thinks MDZ has played better than Rozi isn't watching the games.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Ok I'll give you a couple of gaffes on Rosival's part but they come with any defenseman playing big minutes.

He's been one of our better dman this season so far.

If Gilroy is turning the page and keeps playing with more confidence, he has to stay in the lineup. I really like what I see him doing, and I've seen bits and pieces of it in games he's played. But the last couple fo games he's put more and more of it together for the entire game.

Del Zotto for the most part for me, has been very frustrating to watch this season. His confidence has certainly declined. I wouldn't be against him going down for a 5-10 game stint where he'll surely light the lamp and collect some much needed points to shine up the ego/swagger again.

He's young, he's not done, you have to be careful with young dman especially with offensive flare. Almost need to be treated like goaltenders.

Develop him right so he's rock for years to come here.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
morffin

some time in Hartford with Shonnie night not be a bad idea. One thing about almost every kid that comes through the system is that they play the game the right way....Shonnie and the rest are doing a good job getting these kids NHL ready...... correct me if Im wrong ...but didnt MDZ go straight to the big club?...no time in Hartford?

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:58 PM
allstar3970

It'll be good for him I think to score some points and get his confidence up again.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Gilroy played an average game and scored two fluky goals.

You guys make it sound like MDZ has been playing like Redden the whole season. Yes, he's been bad most of the time, but the rest of the time he's blown Gilroy out of the water. It would help ALOT if we could keep him on the bottom pairing. Alternate him with Marc Staal next to Stepan on the PP.

edit- and if MDZ is sent down before Todd ****ing White i'll be livid.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Vitto79

Gilroy likely wont keep it up but I guess if MDZ has options and he can play a few games then its ok if he gets called back very shortly

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Gilroy likely wont keep it up but I guess if MDZ has options and he can play a few games then its ok if he gets called back very shortly
It's not that Gilroy played so great last night with the 2 goals, but moreso, how does this affect his confidence. The past 2 games, we've seen him getting involved offensively, much like the start of last season. I don't think DZ will be scratched for a long time, but if for some reason Gilroy feeds off last night, it could be beneficial for DZ to spend some time in CT, instead of having the burden of sitting in the press box/evaluation of play. That's just as big a confidence killer IMO.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Gilroy played an average game and scored two fluky goals.

You guys make it sound like MDZ has been playing like Redden the whole season. Yes, he's been bad most of the time, but the rest of the time he's blown Gilroy out of the water. It would help ALOT if we could keep him on the bottom pairing. Alternate him with Marc Staal next to Stepan on the PP.

edit- and if MDZ is sent down before Todd ****ing White i'll be livid.
1- Todd White is a forward, MDZ is a Dman. They don't compete for time
2- Todd White is an old vet, MDZ is a young second year player. Sending MDZ down would be for development reasons. Sending Todd White down would be for no real reason...

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't mind him being sent down to gain some confidence at all. You can tell he is struggling quite a bit out there.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
some time in Hartford with Shonnie night not be a bad idea. One thing about almost every kid that comes through the system is that they play the game the right way....Shonnie and the rest are doing a good job getting these kids NHL ready...... correct me if Im wrong ...but didnt MDZ go straight to the big club?...no time in Hartford?
Correct, MDZ made the team last year right out of juniors. Because he was under 20, he either needed to make the big club or go back to juniors. No AHL for players under 20, I can't remember if that applies only to kids coming from Canadian junior leagues or North America overall?

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
TomLaidlaw

This should have been done a while ago. MDZ hasn't played well this season. He is still so young and he may have been a little rushed because we were so desperate for offense on blueline. There is no shame in being sent down to work on your game and regain some confidence. It worked perfectly for Cally.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Eh...I'm open to trying it. If Girlroy continues to play well, MDZ needs to play somewhere.
Right there is how I feel.

Keep MDZ playing and keep his confidence up. Keep those who are playing best playing in NY. If MDZ is playing in Hartford and he's getting time and coaching there, I'm not against it so long as those in NY are playing better than him. A sophomore slump is what it is and it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
This should have been done a while ago. MDZ hasn't played well this season. He is still so young and he may have been a little rushed because we were so desperate for offense on blueline. There is no shame in being sent down to work on your game and regain some confidence. It worked perfectly for Cally.
I disagree. With as well as he had played last season, he earned the right to work through it. Just like a proven veteran earns the right to work through it before you demote him to the 4th line. In my mind MDZ earned a lot of respect last season, he carried a lot of responsibility as a rookie. With that, you extend him the respect to work himself out of it and at times it looked like he might, but he's not, so that's where we are now.... a sophomore slump.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The under 20 rule only applies to players drafted by a CHL team, and chose to play CHL, prior to becoming pro in North America or Europe.

Anyone else can play in the AHL regardless of age.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

That means...

NCAA players are exempt from the under-20 rule.

Pros and Juniors in Europe are exempt from the under-20 rule.

It only applies to CHL players, as a way to protect CHL teams from losing their top players.

Old
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Have him work on his game in practice while he's a scratch. Make him work harder while not playing a game. Let him watch freaking Gilroy take his spot. Make him realize that his ass needs to play smart.

That's just me... I'm not saying sending him down won't be good for him. I wanna just see him be scratched for a couple of games, just to see how he reacts on and off the ice.

If he gets sent down for a bit, fine. I hope for the best.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guys like Anisimov and Grachev, for example, were able to play in the AHL as 19 year olds because they either had prior pro experience, or passed on the CHL.

Grachev had pro experience prior to being drafted by/playing in the CHL. Anisimov chose not to play in the CHL at all.

Old
12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'd feel better about sending him down if it didn't mean skating Rozsival & Eminger together as our 2nd pairing, yikes.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote