HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2010, 11:11 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
I'll be calm and simply say if you get the chance to rewatch last nights game, please do yourself a favor and focus on Drury, especially in the first period.

Old
12-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
guys like Drury and Rosi are still good for this team. we got a bunch of kids who play really really well, but they still need that leadership and veteran presence. Prospal coming back is going to be amazing.

Old
12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Badko

I want Drury on my team. He's a good hockey player who gives his best all the time. It's certainly not his fault that Santa Claus happened to be in town when he was a free agent. When his contract expires, the market will again dictate the next move. Hate on Sather if you want. Drury doesn't deserve the venom.

Old
12-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You morph Drury and Prust together and out comes Ryan Callahan.

That said, if Drury's cap hit was 2 million a pop, everyone would love the guy outside of a few Avery lovers who dont like a guy who keeps his trap shut on occasion.

Let me point something out;

Of our centers that have taken a legitimate number of faceoffs;

Dubinsky; 48.7%
Boyle; 48.6%
Christensen; 46.7 %
Anisimov; 43%
Stepan; 38%

Now Drury; 58.7%

Old
12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Vitto79

it's stupid to buy him out. He helps in many ways , is the captain and its only one more year then no worries on the cap. The team is doing well just keep it togetherr for next yr and look to move Rozy and sign Richards. Let an coy UFA vet walk regardless of how they are playing

Feds for example deserve to stay but they need to let MZA and Weise in next yr full time so no dice on the resign for me

Old
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

He won't be bought out and he won't be moved unless he is replaced by another player. There are teams that would trade for Drury if he chooses to waive his NMC.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
The best reason NOT to buy him out is I believe a guy with Chris's Character is not only good for the younger guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns here dirt cheap once his contract is up. He made his money, he knows he even stole a large chunk of it, and I believe he wants to stay local, retire here. Drury at 7 million hurts every bone in my body, Drury at 2.5 is a fan favorite.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
The best reason NOT to buy him out is I believe a guy with Chris's Character is not only good for the younger guys, but I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns here dirt cheap once his contract is up. He made his money, he knows he even stole a large chunk of it, and I believe he wants to stay local, retire here. Drury at 7 million hurts every bone in my body, Drury at 2.5 is a fan favorite.
This.

I want him to be back. Won't hurt.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

He's overpaid yes, but is he strapping us for cash that we NEED right now to make the team significantly better? Money that would inevitably be spent in the wrong places during free agency. I understand he is overpaid but this team will just have to stomach his cap hit until he's gone because sather won't buy out the captain of the team, it won't happen because it's not necessary. or all of your advocating we buy him out to open up cap space, what do you propose we wisely do with that cap space? It's funny because the same people also want te check book put away to let the core develop yet buying out drury would surely open up sathers checkbook to significantly overpay for a Richards or semin. We've all seen what glen can do when he has an abundance of cash and cap space(holik,redden,rozi,drury), we've also seen what he can do when he has little cap space,Feds,prospal,frolov(in a perfect world) and his cap clearing trades ala prust and eminger. I'm completely opposed to buying out drury because I feel like sathers eyes will widen and he'll dump rozi and spend money on places it should be spent bringing us back to square one with redden,rozi,drury for better or for good.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a major mentor for the American born forwards, Cally specifically, but Dubinsky, Boyle and Stepan, too.

Old
12-28-2010, 12:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
A buyout would be both unwise and unexpected. There's no reason to make that move, now or next season. In fact, I'd wager we re-sign him after his contract expires.

It's just pain.
Old
12-28-2010, 12:59 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
A buyout would be both unwise and unexpected. There's no reason to make that move, now or next season. In fact, I'd wager we re-sign him after his contract expires.
add redden's summer cap hit and we cant even sign anyone anyway

Old
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Both Drury and Avery should be re-signed on the cheap and remain part of the "core" group. The core can't just be young guys. You need a few veterans, too.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Not a Drury fan, but see no reason to do this.

He's been ok since coming back and could conceivably get better.

The face-off wins help with posession.

He's a grinder on the PK.

Has not been a "downer" on the young guns since returning, which is what I feared.

So far, OK, Not good, but OK.

The financial constraints of Drury make riding out his contract the best option.

Torts knows how to work it.

Old
12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah wasn't Drury supposed to interfere with the team's chemistry? Inhibit Dubinsky's and Callahan's development as leaders? Be an overall drag on the team?

How is that working out? Not directing this at anyone in particular (as I forgot the various people that said these things).

Old
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
broadwayblue

I'm ok either way. Buying him out doesn't really hurt us much financially (in 2012) and it frees up several million next year. So if we need a few extra million this summer to re-sign other guys or bring in a UFA it's fine with me.

That said, I just don't see the team going that direction.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
pete3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm ok either way. Buying him out doesn't really hurt us much financially (in 2012) and it frees up several million next year. So if we need a few extra million this summer to re-sign other guys or bring in a UFA it's fine with me.

That said, I just don't see the team going that direction.

This is how I feel.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Arcillius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah wasn't Drury supposed to interfere with the team's chemistry? Inhibit Dubinsky's and Callahan's development as leaders? Be an overall drag on the team?

How is that working out? Not directing this at anyone in particular (as I forgot the various people that said these things).
Pretty much as expected. He is essentially playing the role of a Callahan stand-in at this point and is worse at every aspect of the game other than faceoffs. Drury is a good guy but his game has taken a precipitous drop-- he is a 4th line center now, not a top-6 player. He is very slightly upgraded Blair Betts making 7 million a year.

Dubinsky and Callahan really emerged as leaders this season when Drury wasn't involved due to his injury. Hopefully they don't take a step back now that Drury is back.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a major mentor for the American born forwards, Cally specifically, but Dubinsky, Boyle and Stepan, too.

Then make him a coach.

Aside from face offs and killing penalties he can't play. Hitting the post is a moral victory for him.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcillius View Post
He is very slightly upgraded Blair Betts making 7 million a year.
A nice sound bite. Just completely untrue.

Drury has had one bad season since he's been here. In that season, he still had nearly twice as many points as Betts had that season. And that was Betts' best season of his career.

12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Then make him a coach.

Aside from face offs and killing penalties he can't play. Hitting the post is a moral victory for him.
4 points in 6 games.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A nice sound bite. Just completely untrue.

Drury has had one bad season since he's been here. In that season, he still had nearly twice as many points as Betts had that season. And that was Betts' best season of his career.
Its amazing how we can keep pointing this out and yet folks continue to make that retarded player comparison.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Then make him a coach.

Sure he can, there's just more to the game than you think there is. His assists last night were both primary assists, by the way. And it's because he can play that you can put him on any line if necessary and he can perform adequately, if not better. And he isn't just good at face offs or penalty killing. He's better at both than anyone else on the team, except for Callahan, who is his equal on the PK.

Old
12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
4 points in 6 games.
All assists. He had 2 assists last night and neither was critical to the goal. And he only had 18 assists all last year.

What is it about this guy that people love to defend him?

Old
12-28-2010, 04:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
All assists. He had 2 assists last night and neither was critical to the goal. And he only had 18 assists all last year.

What is it about this guy that people love to defend him?
And that was one season on a horrible offensive team that lived and died offensively with one player, Gaborik.

You want Drury to be something he never has been: a top six forward. Guess what? He hasn't been a top six forward for a very long time. In fact, when he was, it was only because he was playing with either Sakic or Forsberg, two of the greatest offensive players of all-time. In Buffalo, Chris Drury was a third line center most of the time. He gets his points on the PP, and last season, he didn't play much on the PP. Garbage goals. Quick, short passes into the slot, or from the slot. The occasional one-timer. That's how he gets his goals. A lot like what Frolov used to do.

Closed Thread