HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

another getting into hockey thread

Old
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
goldfish

vCash: 500
another getting into hockey thread

This thread also kind of doubles as an intro thread so here's my story..

So to be honest, up till like 3 years ago I had never watched or cared about hockey. Then I started playing it on xbox and got hooked (odd?) Started watching the caps and well that brings us to two weeks ago..

I just decided I wanted to play hockey. Previous to that I had skated twice in my entire life. Since then I've gotten out to 3 public skate sessions(about an hour each) I'd consider myself naturally athletic and have been picking it up pretty quickly. I have no issues accelerating, turning, quick turns(like dodging that little kid who just walked out infront of me) crossovers, I can stop with my right foot and and am starting to be able to stop with my left. I can also do the hockey stop where you push both feet out with your toes in. I can skate backwards slowly, however the public skate is usually so busy I don't have a lot of room to work on it.

With the help of christmas and a mini buying spree on my part I was able to assemble most of my gear, just wanted to lay it out there to see if anyone sees any issues or areas to upgrade before I rip the tags off.

Skates = Bauer Vapor X:20

Helmet = Bauer 1500 + full cage

Gloves = Bauer Vapor X:20

Shoulders = Reebok 3k

Shins = Reebok 2k

Elbows
= Reebok 2k

Pants = Easton S3

Stick = Easton S3 (Zetterberg)

I also got one of those short things with the built in cup. So what else do I need?

My plan from here on out is to take an adult intro to hockey class in march, then get into a summer league after that.

Also...I'm about 5'10" and 165 lbs how much bigger is the average beer leaguer? Really just wondering if I should be worrying about bulking up in the next 3 months.

Last edited by goldfish: 12-29-2010 at 01:59 PM.
goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:35 PM
SouthpawTRK

Welcome to the wonderful world of ice hockey! It's funny how life is and how the act of playing hockey on xbox was the catalyst to your interest in playing hockey. Here's what I would add to your list:

1. Make sure to get your skates sharpened; maybe start with a 1/2" or 5/8" cut.

2. Make sure that you get a good helmet; fit and protection are key here. Also, make sure that you get a full cage or a shield/cage combo unless you like catching a stick and/or puck to the face. If you plan on playing in a beer league, most entry level divisions require a full cage.

3. You will need some miscellaneous items such as socks to go over your shin guards, stick tape, clear shin tape, bag for your gear, skate guards/soakers, maybe a lace tightener.

Beer league players come in all ages and sizes. I would not worry about bulking up. The most important area that I would focus on is skating. The more proficient and efficient you are on your skates; skating forwards, backwards, transitioning, crossovers (forwards, backwards), speed bursts, tight turns, quick stops, etc... will be much more vital than shooting or puck handling. I'm not saying that shooting and puck handling are not important, but the amount of time that you are on the ice without the puck versus the amount of time that you have the puck is very drastic. You might be out on the ice for a total of 20 minutes, but may only touch the puck for a few minutes.

Best of luck with your endeavors and just remember to have fun (and keep your head up).

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of ice hockey! It's funny how life is and how the act of playing hockey on xbox was the catalyst to your interest in playing hockey. Here's what I would add to your list:

1. Make sure to get your skates sharpened; maybe start with a 1/2" or 5/8" cut.

2. Make sure that you get a good helmet; fit and protection are key here. Also, make sure that you get a full cage or a shield/cage combo unless you like catching a stick and/or puck to the face. If you plan on playing in a beer league, most entry level divisions require a full cage.

3. You will need some miscellaneous items such as socks to go over your shin guards, stick tape, clear shin tape, bag for your gear, skate guards/soakers, maybe a lace tightener.
Thanks for the quick reply!

1. The guy at the shop I bought the skates at sharpened them there, he didn't ask me what cut or whatever I wanted so I have no idea what they are at now, but I do know that they are a million times better then the rental skates.

2. Yea I have no problem with the full cage. I'd rather keep my face intact! At play it again I tried on the Bauer 1500 helmet/cage combo and just in general it felt better then the CCM Vector. However the large kept falling down on my forehead and they didn't have many other choices. However the 1500 is pretty bottom dollar isn't it? If there's one thing I'm thinking is worth splurging on would be the helmet. But then again I'm not really sure if I need a $100+ helmet.

3. Yea I had intended to buy the hockey socks but the only colors they had in stock was yellow and red so I just decided to wait for black to come back in stock. I'm totally lost on the whole stick tape thing, not really sure how is the right way to do all that. Also, whats the clear shin tape for?

Old
12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Welcome!

First, here's a long writeup I did on hockey gear recommendations. Most of what you have is under what I would consider adequate for beginners. While that doesn't mean you're going to get hurt or need to run out and spend more money, I think that if you stick with it you'll likely want/need to upgrade just about everything down the road.

As for the size of rec leaguers, it's all over the map. I wouldn't worry about it for rec hockey as there is (or shouldn't be at least) any hitting aside from incidental contact. At 5'10 165 you'll probably be in better shape than most players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
beth

Yay! Another noob! Sounds like you're off to a good start, you'll figure out what you like/don't like about your equipment as you go. You'll also want a water bottle and a bunch of pucks for stick-and-puck. Also, some stuff to keep your equipment clean too - you need to spread it all out/hang it up on a drying rack to dry as soon as you get home. I spray our stuff down with a spray bottle full of 70% alcohol with just a couple drops of fragrance oil added after every skate/practice - nothing stinks yet! It only takes one time that you forget and leave the equipment to ferment in your bag for the stink to take hold, so don't let that happen!

How to tape your stick:
http://howtohockey.com/how-to-tape-a-hockey-stick

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
goldfish

Yea I read a TON on this forum before finally buying stuff and I kept reading about buying basic stuff and then as you play you'll figure out what you need and what you don't.

Everything feels pretty good on me. Despite being basic protection I really only have a few small areas that are exposed. The only area I can already see wanting to upgrade is the shoulders, mainly for the chest area. I was showing my buddy them and I said "Look, feel how padded they are right here on my chest" Well before I knew it I took a pretty solid punch to the chest, it wasn't too hard but it still thudded me pretty good, I can imagine a puck feeling pretty similar if not worse.

I read that your supposed to hang your skates upside down, so I made a ghetto hanging rack for my skates out of a clothes hanger Do they make special racks for hanging this stuff? Or am I going to be making more clothes hanger hooks for this stuff?

Old
12-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use the 4k shoulder pads and really like them. Probably the "cheapest" piece of gear I have but they're overbuilt.

I lay my stuff out on a counter/table to dry and hang up the shoulders and jerseys on clothes hangers. Skates I just set next to everything else, never had a problem.

My first cheap skate blades rusted because I used the rubber skate guards, so I got the cloth soaker style. I don't take them off and don't have issues.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I use the 4k shoulder pads and really like them. Probably the "cheapest" piece of gear I have but they're overbuilt.

I lay my stuff out on a counter/table to dry and hang up the shoulders and jerseys on clothes hangers. Skates I just set next to everything else, never had a problem.

My first cheap skate blades rusted because I used the rubber skate guards, so I got the cloth soaker style. I don't take them off and don't have issues.
The pads do seem really nice, I really like the blue/white color scheme. Just the chest/back might be a bit lacking in the padding department
For the skate guards..Do you need that? or can you just make sure to wipe the blades off after skating?

Old
12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd recommend them, only a few bucks, and it prevents your blades from getting nicked up in the bag. Pays for itself if it saves you one sharpening.

Old
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
robat19

I'd consider getting a better skate if you can afford it. Skates are one thing I myself would never go cheap on.

robat19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
DJnet65

I really prefer lighter smaller shoulder pads. Big bulky pads are an encumbrance and I find them just uncomfortable. In the entire time I've played pick-up, rec league Hockey I can count the number of times I have been hit in the chest with a puck on 1 hand. Don't get me wrong taking a shot in the chest is no pleasant experience but for the most part it's really rare especially at lower levels and huge overprotective pads are not really necessary.

The X:20 skates will be good for you to begin with, but you know better skates will make a difference.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post
My plan from here on out is to take an adult intro to hockey class in march, then get into a summer league after that.
If available, I'd get into a class as soon as you can to avoid picking up any bad habits. Take a hockey skating class if you can first.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

I use the 3K Jofa (Right before RBK rebranded everything) shoulders and Shins (Pro return)
very good stuff.

As for drying my stuff I just bring the bag in unzip the bag pull out my under shirt and jock then let it dry in the bag. Skates I wipe the blades then put on the soakers and I'm done.
I can honestly say I'm not the smelliest guy on the Ice or in the change room.

Goldfish,

You are going to have a blast! I think that the best money you can spend is on a helmet and skates.
Helmet, well that is obvious but I have found that skates are like buying your first motorcycle. You think you are being smart by buying a 200cc bike but you outgrow it fast. The better the skate the faster your skating will advance to a point.

Have fun!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:09 PM
goldfish

Well I made a trip out to the pro shop at the local rink tonight and picked up a Bauer 1500 helmet for $50. I tried on the 4500 and a 5100, but oddly enough the 1500 felt the best on my head. I do have a question though, the chin strap seems to be awfully short. I have it all the way pulled out and I can't open my jaw very far at all. Do they make longer straps for this?

Also picked up some black stick tape and a puck..I've never even held one before, this things got some serious weight to it...jesus christ what have I gotten myself into?
I checked their selection of socks..but again no flat black. Are they really that hard to come by or am I just unlucky?

There's a stick and puck friday morning I think I'm gonna go to, assuming I can get socks by then. So that should be interesting! lol

As far as the skates..if I really get into this and find my skates are holding me back I'm sure I will want to upgrade but for now I'm just happy to have a "decent" pair on my feet without breaking the bank.

Old
12-29-2010, 12:30 AM
ju87

Sticking to low-level gear at the start is a smart choice, as long as everything fits well and you can move freely in the gear.

If you stick with hockey for a while, you will eventually end up replacing most of your gear anyways because you will in time develop preferences for fit, etc., and learn things with experience that you don't know at the start.

Good luck and congrats on your start in the sport and your first step towards gear whorism.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr8 View Post
If available, I'd get into a class as soon as you can to avoid picking up any bad habits. Take a hockey skating class if you can first.
Agreed, take any class you can. I actually got the most out of the few figure skating classes I took, because they really focused on edges and proper footwork. That and the stuff they do is hard, especially on rockered hockey skates.

Also don't be afraid to wear some/all of your pads to open skates/lessons. I generally throw my shinpads and elbow pads under my clothes when I'm going to an open skate (learning a little over a year ago helped me lose 60 lbs, so I have plenty of "fat" pants) Getting over the fear of falling helps you push yourself that much further in your learning curve.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
goldfish

I actually just figured out that the adult intro to hockey class that's supposed to be starting in march is actually going on now and its pay-per-class. So I'm gonna try to get out to a lesson next week.

For jersey size what do I need? I'm thinking large but I know jerseys usually fit a little big, but then with the pads I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Old
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
SouthpawTRK

I'd say go with either a large or an x-large jersey. You can get a practice jersey for about $12; dependent upon which brand. I'm 5'9" and wear a large (CCM) which fits well with the exception that it's a little short in the sleeves. I also have an XL (CCM) that is a bit more baggy, but fits better in the sleeves.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Hockey Crazy

I'd go with an XL. I usually wear a M shirt, but you want it to fit over all of your gear. Also, I have the X:20 skates too and they are fine for me right now.

I started hockey lessons over a month ago and it's the best choice that I've made in a long time. It's very addictive!

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I go a size up from what I normally wear, although being short my XL jerseys are huge.

Old
12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
goldfish

Ok thanks for the tips on the jerseys. Just looking around on hockeygiant and found this jersey..

http://www.hockeygiant.com/kmzclsjrysr.html

Pretty cheap and everyone seems to really like them, so I'm gonna go ahead and get a black one.

Also these socks

http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbksx100sldsr.html

Old
12-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Make sure to get a white and a dark jersey. I'd also skip the Edge socks and just get regular ones.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Devil Dancer

Hey goldfish,

If you're anywhere near College Park I highly, highly recommend looking into the adult hockey clinic at the Herbert Wells Ice rink. It's only $15/session for two hours with a bunch of coaches, and the instruction is excellent. It's Tuesday nights, I think at 7pm.

I've been playing for a few years now, but I keep going back to the clinic because it's such a great deal for ice time, and the drills are so good for my game.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
gintonic

The equipment you listed is pretty good stuff. The thing with equipment though is that it's largely trial and error because everyone is different. You'll eventually settle into the equipment that feels right for you once you develop some playing experience.

Don't get freaked out the first time you go skate with all the equipment on. At first for a lot of people it can be quite a shock and I've even heard a few say they felt claustrophobic in a way. But you'll get used to it pretty after a few times out.

Size of players varies greatly. There are some pretty big dudes in the league I play in and it's just a beer league.

Where in Maryland do you plan on playing?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:59 PM
goldfish

I am in westminster.

It's about 25-30 minutes to skate frederick and about the same to reisterstown sportsplex. The only advantage of reisterstown is that I work in owings mills so it's on my way home which could make the whole thing more convenient some nights. Like tonight I'm just gonna work a little late and hit the public skate at reisterstown at 7 on my way home.

College park is a pretty good haul for me, probably about an hour or so depending on traffic.