HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Hamhuis adjusts to life as a Vancouver Canuck by Jeff Patterson

Old
12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Dan Hamhuis adjusts to life as a Vancouver Canuck by Jeff Patterson

An article from the Georgia Straight on Dan Hamhuis fitting in with the Canucks by Team 1040's Jeff Patterson. Although he grew up a Canucks fan he never travelled to Vancouver to see the Canucks play.

Hamhuis is pleased with his role and how things started out but the foot injury set him back. He thinks Vancouver has shot at the Stanley Cup - something that was unlikely to happen if he had stayed in Nashville.

“I came into camp earlier than normal this year to get things settled so that I wouldn’t have to deal with everything that goes along with moving and so that when the season started I was ready to go and focused on hockey,” Hamhuis told the Straight after a recent practice at Rogers Arena. “And that really helped. Being one of the first guys here, I got to meet the other guys as they came in, so I met a couple of guys each day instead of all at once, and that really made things easier.”
“It hasn’t been too bad. I think some people recognize you on the street, but so far I haven’t received any advice, just a few friendly hellos,” he said with a laugh. “There is more media, but I knew that coming in when I signed, so that was to be expected and I’m trying to embrace it and not get overwhelmed.”
“I was really happy with the way the start went. Unfortunately, the timing of the injury wasn’t very good, trying to get used to a new team and new system,” he explained. “And that’s a really important time to come together as a group, and to miss three-and-a-half weeks of that, it was tough.”
“I’m really happy with my role here,” he said. “I’m getting a little bit more ice time here than I was getting last year, and I didn’t really get much power-play time at all in Nashville the last few years. So I appreciate the few looks I’ve been able to get and I’ve been pretty consistent on the second unit. But you earn what you get, so if I’m playing well enough to deserve to be there, that’s good, and if not, then I won’t be there. [Power-play time] is something that’s earned.”
http://www.straight.com/article-3641...ncouver-canuck

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:31 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Did they ask if someone has apologized for pairing him with Bieksa?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
edit: not worth it.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 12-14-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:42 AM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

vCash: 50
Kind of a non-news story there, but oh well.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

He better adjust to life because he's signed for too long and is relatively overpaid. I'll admit he's been a nice addition so far although not at all a fan of the signing when it happened.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:56 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

More like "Dan Hamhuis.... making the adjustments necessary.... to life -- that is... the act of living -- .... as a Vancouver Canuck. By Jeff........ Patterson"

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:24 AM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
More like "Dan Hamhuis.... making the adjustments necessary.... to life -- that is... the act of living -- .... as a Vancouver Canuck. By Jeff........ Patterson"
I used the movie trailer voice to read that.

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
He better adjust to life because he's signed for too long and is relatively overpaid. I'll admit he's been a nice addition so far although not at all a fan of the signing when it happened.
All UFA's are overpaid, that's how you get them.

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
hefsbeaver

Quote:
and he took a discount to play here. I am a huge Hamhuis fan he was a stud in PG when he played junior and I think he will be a great canuck.

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

$4.5m was and is a fair price for what Hamhuis brings to the table. He's been playing with that foot injury since October, hasn't quite looked as good as he did in the first few games before the injury. Give it time.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
$4.5m was and is a fair price for what Hamhuis brings to the table. He's been playing with that foot injury since October, hasn't quite looked as good as he did in the first few games before the injury. Give it time.
Give him till January at most to get movin'.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Give him till January at most to get movin'.
Mats Hamhuis?

Old
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
and he took a discount to play here. I am a huge Hamhuis fan he was a stud in PG when he played junior and I think he will be a great canuck.
Oh well. Maybe I was kinda comparing him to Sami Salo(underpaid) who's paid a million less and is a better D-Man, although Sami's a lot more injury prone. Always great to have a BC native too.

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 12-14-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

For BC natives we've got Tambo too

Old
12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
MarkMM

Quote:
Oh well. Maybe I was kinda comparing him to Sami Salo(underpaid) who's paid a million less and is a better D-Man, although Sami's a lot more injury prone. Always great to have a BC native too.
Inflation. Wasn't Salo signed three years ago, when the cap ceiling back then was around what the cap floor is now? Adjusted for inflation, Salo might even by more expensive at the time of his signing than Hamhuis was at the time of this year's signing.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Mats Hamhuis?
lol I more or less meant he's got to recover from his bone bruise and get up to speed with the team for people to expect big things from him.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Reign Nateo

It's be a little early to throw the "over-paid" label around regarding Hamhuis. He's getting better all the time and already plays 23 minutes a game with an even rating (last 5 games he's averaged more topped by a 27+ minute night vs. Anaheim). Only Edler and Ehrhoff play more, and I wouldn't be surprises if Hamhuis bumps Ehrhoff in that catergory by the All-Star break. Points are starting to come as well. That's the merit in this article, he's obviously needed time to settle in to a hockey-mad market. Patience people.

Plays in all situations and There are a lot worse defencemen making 4+ million today.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Seeing as how we're playing Columbus, would you rather have Dan Hamhuis for 4.5 or Mike Commadore for 4?

Old
12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
monster_bertuzzi

IMO Hamhuis has been the un-sung hero the 1st half of the season. His positioning out there is awesome, and he has also make Bieksa better IMO. They are a great 2nd pairing for us.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Inflation. Wasn't Salo signed three years ago, when the cap ceiling back then was around what the cap floor is now? Adjusted for inflation, Salo might even by more expensive at the time of his signing than Hamhuis was at the time of this year's signing.
If I remember correctly Salo would of signed for a lot more then what he did for the nucks. Instead signed his current deal with chance of only moving on if he wanted to. I believe one of his children is sick.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
If I remember correctly Salo would of signed for a lot more then what he did for the nucks. Instead signed his current deal with chance of only moving on if he wanted to. I believe one of his children is sick.
That was Mattias Ohlund's son Victor who had to have a number of leg surgeries at Vancouver Children's Hospital.
Ohlund said he was in Vancouver last May so his son, Victor, could have continuing non-life threatening treatment at BC Children’s Hospital. The family, which includes his daughter Hannah and wife Linda, is planning a Vancouver vacation next summer.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mat...#ixzz19SDsRXlT

Old
12-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Win One Before I Die
The Keg or bust

I saw Hamhuis save Bieksa ass against Columbus live. Bieksa turned the puck over to Nash behind the net and Hamhuis recovered it nicely.

Hamhuis also fanned on a pass and it went right to a Blue Jacket, Hamhuis then dove to knock if away. While he ****ed up, he recovered, again, nicely.

Love this guys play.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote