HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Bang Theory - The Edler Progression to a Norris Trophy

Old
12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Our coaches comparing him to Lidstrom is a little on the ridiculous side.
How is it ridiculous to say Lidstrom didn't get his first Norris until he was 31? That's just pointing out Dmen mature later and Edler potentially has years before he reaches his peak as a player. People are reading too much into that if they think the coaches are calling him the next Lidstrom.

Last edited by me2: 12-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcp View Post
Lidström won his first Norris at 31 yes. But he was a dominant defender ever since he entered the league. He has only two times been under 0.5 PPG and only four times been under 50 points since he entered the league. It is just stupid to compare Edler to him.
I don't think it's that stupid. Edler didn't get the benefit of pro training until after he was drafted, nobody knows what could've been if he was in a more established hockey program since a young age.

What we do know is that over the course of 6 seasons he went from a nobody in a beer league to a #1 on a Stanley Cup contender. How many other players have done that?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Swedes, due to their superior education system have long developmental career trajectory's. Zetterberg, Sedins, Naslund, Lidstrom, Samuelsson. all not coming into their own until the late 20s. They seem to get better every year unless they get significant injuries like nazzy or forsberg.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
How is it ridiculous to say Lidstrom didn't get his first Norris until he was 31? That's just pointing out Dmen mature later and Edler potentially has years before he reaches his peak as a player. People are reading too much into that if they think the coaches are calling him the next Lidstrom.
The reason Lidstrom didn't get the Norris earlier b/c of the NHL greats that were running around during his early years. Lidstrom scored 60 points his very first season in the NHL if I remember correctly. Lidstrom from the beginning of his career was a class above Edler's beginning.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Trolt

If edler developed a mean streak ...

Trolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

the thing i like most about edler is that he might just become what ohlund was on pace for before the eye injury. young ohlund was just oozing with two-way ability, and was just a big viking of a d-man. great as he was anyway, i still wonder what could have been.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
knivez

Quote:

No, it points out that Lidstrom played in an era where his competition consisted of the likes of Coffey, Bourque, Chelios and Leetch, all of whom are winners of multiple Norris trophies and HOFers/future HOFers. Lidstrom, even in his younger years, was a level above Edler in terms of play.

Edler will be our no1 defenceman in the coming years, though. A Norris isn't out of his grasp in the future. I agree that he is still on the upslope and hasn't come close to his peak. In some sense, he is still catching up on development years lost due to his unique pre-draft status.

knivez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Think View Post
The reason Lidstrom didn't get the Norris earlier b/c of the NHL greats that were running around during his early years. Lidstrom scored 60 points his very first season in the NHL if I remember correctly. Lidstrom from the beginning of his career was a class above Edler's beginning.
Also remember that Lidstrom had played three years of pro in the SEL with VIK Västerås HK before coming to the NHL.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
It is clearly MacIntyre that is making the comparison per the title of the article:
Canucks’ Alex Edler a Nick off the old block, fits equation for Norris potential

Young blueliner similar to Wings’ Nicklas Lidstrom, close to being one of NHL’s top 10 defencemen
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz19SUeuzTB

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Alex Edler is the Dikembe Mutombo of the NHL.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Alex Edler is the Dikembe Mutombo of the NHL.
Nope. No finger wags and Edler is a competent offensive player.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 08:06 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Think View Post
The reason Lidstrom didn't get the Norris earlier b/c of the NHL greats that were running around during his early years.
Every new generation has greats running about from previous generations that they have to compete with. Lidstrom had the likes of Borque and co, the current generation had the likes of Lidstrom, Pronger, the next generation will have possibles like Doughty, Weber or Keith.

Quote:
Lidstrom scored 60 points his very first season in the NHL if I remember correctly. Lidstrom from the beginning of his career was a class above Edler's beginning.
Nobody is arguing that point.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:08 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It is clearly MacIntyre that is making the comparison per the title of the article:
Canucks’ Alex Edler a Nick off the old block, fits equation for Norris potential

Young blueliner similar to Wings’ Nicklas Lidstrom, close to being one of NHL’s top 10 defencemen
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz19SUeuzTB
It's always amusing to watch people get their panties all bunched up when their favourite player gets mention with a lesser player. They seem to confuse compare with equals.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
LeftCoast

The comparison isn't bad. Edler, like Listrom is a very complete defenseman. However I think the Swedish thing is as much in play in making the comparison.

Is there a Norris in his future? Possibly, if he continues to develop, but he is going to have stiff competition in his generation from guys like Doughty, Keith, Letang, Seabrook, Jack Johnson, etc. With guys like Green (Byfuglien??) getting serious consideration for the Norris of late, I'm not sure a guy like Edler whose game is so much more rounded is going to get consideration unless he is #1 or #2 in scoring for a defenceman.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Consider where Edler was playing when he was drafted... a beer league in a remote town in Sweden.
To hear the Swedes tell it, not much comes from Ostersund, which on the country’s map is precisely in the middle of nowhere.

Nearer to the Norwegian border than the Swedish coast, the city of 60,000 is five hours by train from Stockholm and a 2 1/2-hour drive from the nearest town of any size. Ostersund is where you find trees and skiers and hockey players with mismatched socks and a beer cooler in the locker-room.
Here it is - The Legend of Alex Edler - The Beginning.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...a86&k=7839&p=1

How he was this unknown kid playing in a remote town in a beer league scouted by Thomas Gradin and how he was pilfered before the Red Wings were able to draft him and him to their legendary picks.

Gradin made the trip to watch Edler rather than waiting to see Edler's team in the play-offs like most other scouts. And when the team did not advance Gradin had a leg up on other scouts excepting Detroit having seen Edler play once. However Gradin had to convince GM Dave Nonis to take a chance and draft Edler.
Gradin knew drafting a player he -- and only he among all the Canuck scouts -- had seen just once was tremendously risky.

"It's not the way we go about trying to draft guys," he says. "You really want to see the guy more than one time. We had a lot of talk about that."

The Canucks never did put Edler on their master list of draft prospects.

"Edler was on a different list," Nonis smiles. "He was on Thomas's list."

Because of Jamtland's unexpectedly quick exit from the playoffs, nobody but the Canucks and Red Wings saw Edler play. There was no video from Ostersund, no scouting combine. NHL Central Scouting had never heard of him. But the Canucks and Wings knew about Edler, and knew about each other.
After the draft Gradin arranged for a move to Modo's elite junior team in Ornskoldsvik (think Sedins, Naslund, Forsberg etc.) and following a successful year Edler was brought to North America to play for the WHL Kelowna Rockets.

With the Rockets he had an outstanding season:
62GP 13G 40A 53Pts 44PIMs

The next year (2006-07) he would start with the Moose and play 49 games and 22 with the Canucks. After 2 games in the AHL nest season he then stuck with the Canucks.

Gradin, whose old Canuck No. 23 is now worn by Edler, says: "I don't think he realizes how good he can be. There is no limitation. For sure, there haven't been any Cinderella stories like this guy. I think it's quite amazing."

Alex Edler... The Legend Continues.
Great read, thanks for posting the link.

Talk about going out on a limb...one game scouted, some scattered reports, not even on Central Scouting, playing in a glorified beer league. Gradin must have convinced Delorme that Edler was awesome in practise/warm-ups.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote