HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Shake It Up" - Nashville vs. Dallas - 12.28.2010

Old
12-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As I said, trying to make a play above his skill level. Smithson knows he's a north-south grinding type of forward when he crosses the red line and goes on the attack. He should not be trying to make a lateral pass on the rush because unfortunately, that will likely be the result.

Yes, it is a simple play and a pass I'm sure he'd make in practice 9 times out of 10, but when the chips are on the table and everything seems to be spiraling out of control for the team at that moment, he needs to move straight ahead and make sure that puck gets deep...
Ok, above his skill level tells me that there needs to be someone in his place that CAN make those plays in there instead of him... allowing me to say that injuries caused the loss tonight. Playing with only 10 forwards is absolutely brutal. Half of our forwards aren't even NHL caliber.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
hockey diva

What made that game suck worse is that the Preds gave us some hope that they might pull this one out when we were up 2-1 and moving the puck. Then we give up that fluky goal to Fistric, which was his first of the season, and the wheels fell off from there. Why is that we make back ups like Raycroft look like Vezina trophy candidates?

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Ok, above his skill level tells me that there needs to be someone in his place that CAN make those plays in there instead of him... allowing me to say that injuries caused the loss tonight. Playing with only 10 forwards is absolutely brutal. Half of our forwards aren't even NHL caliber.
If you want to make that leap you can. The team was definitely extremely shorthanded with only 10 forwards actively participating and that did have Smithson out there taking a shift and trying to create offense. It's above his pay grade, no doubt, but the issue remains that he needs to either complete that pass as RedWhiteAndBlue wrote or he needs to make sure that puck goes deep. He has the talent to do it, he just didn't execute.

Consistency in execution of skills is what separates an NHL player from an AHL player, but it also separates a scoring line forward from a defensive line center. Regardless, when the puck is on their stick and they have an opportunity to make a play, they've gotta bear down and get it done...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
roseyc

Quote:
If you want to make that leap you can. The team was definitely extremely shorthanded with only 10 forwards actively participating and that did have Smithson out there taking a shift and trying to create offense. It's above his pay grade, no doubt, but the issue remains that he needs to either complete that pass as RedWhiteAndBlue wrote or he needs to make sure that puck goes deep. He has the talent to do it, he just didn't execute.

Consistency in execution of skills is what separates an NHL player from an AHL player, but it also separates a scoring line forward from a defensive line center. Regardless, when the puck is on their stick and they have an opportunity to make a play, they've gotta bear down and get it done...
Your saying that for him to create offense is above his pay grade. Nothing on this team is related to pay grades. Dumont the third highest paid player playing on the 4th line.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Your saying that for him to create offense is above his pay grade. Nothing on this team is related to pay grades. Dumont the third highest paid player playing on the 4th line.
It was a figure of speech. Smithson though is not paid to create offense, he's paid to stop the other team from doing so. Dumont is the biggest square peg in the lineup...even bigger than Belak IMO.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 12-29-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old
12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Dumont neeeeeds to go imho. I always liked him and still do, but his services are no longer needed here. He isnt doing enough to show that he should be here.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:43 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
"Gloom, despair and agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair and agony on me."

That seems to sum up the Preds.

They played so GOOD for 40:30....probably the best they've played all season. But just couldn't keep it going in the third. It should have been at least 5-0 after 2 periods. So many chances, but no one to finish. I thought we would pull it out after we went up 2-1. I almost started to think it would be like that game vs Colorado a few seasons ago when we had like half the team out with the flu/injuries and Col had Kariya/Selanne/stacked team and somehow we won that game.

Hornqvist with 14 shots on goal! 14! It passes Arnott for team record. He had 14 on net and NONE missed and NONE blocked.

Both Wilson's goals were really nice. Good to see him bury that breakaway.

Nice fight by O'Brien. I like him.

Total attempted shots...Preds - 77, Stars - 36

Congrats to Mueller on his first NHL game. I really thought he played more than 3+ minutes. From what I saw, I thought he did well.

I still think that if Franson had taken the Stars guy into the boards then that guy wouldn't have made that pass to Eriksson to tie the game at 2-2.

So, 5 in a row, all in regulation. I guess it's time for a 5 game win streak now.

There is a guy that sits near me and during the third period all he kept talking about was how we should have played Lindback and that he's better than Rinne, we should get rid of Rinne, look at their records, we should have kept playing Lindback. ugh, shut. up.

I don't understand where the black cloud that hangs over the Preds comes from.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
It was a figure of speech. Smithson though is not paid to create offense, he's paid to stop the other team from doing so. Dumont is the biggest square peg in the lineup...even bigger than Belak IMO.
This is a huge problem for me. Sports are full of roll players and while I get that, Trotz needs to have higher expectations from the guys on this team. If all he expects from Smithson is to win faceoffs, play the PK and be a defensive shutdown guy, he needs to go. You have to put more expectations on guys to have a winning franchise. If doesn't challenge Smithson, or any guy on this team to be more well rounded players, this will be the result. When a few guys get injured, other guys can't pick up what's lost because all they know is their roll.

Legwand should be expected to more offensive while continuing his defensive roll.

Weber and Suter should be expected to provide more offense in addition to their solid defensive game.

Spaling, Smithson and Ward need to learn to finish in addition to being able to grind and play defensively.

I'd go on and on but you get the point. Once again, I understand roll players but their games need to be more well rounded and Smithson has no business being on the ice other than as a penalty killer and occasional grinder. And when you're down two goals in a game, why is your grinder line out with about 2 and a half minutes to go? Poor freaking Wilson is all I can say.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:52 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Dumont neeeeeds to go imho. I always liked him and still do, but his services are no longer needed here. He isnt doing enough to show that he should be here.
Other than Wilson and Goc, please point out ONE Pred who is "doing enough to show that he should be here" so far this season (coaching staff included).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Yes, Hornqvist had 14 shots. How many of them were actual scoring chances? So many times he comes over the blue line and just rifles a "shot" into the goalies chest. His line mates are usally rushing the net. Why not try to make a play to one of them and maybe get the goalie moving?

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Other than Wilson and Goc, please point out ONE Pred who is "doing enough to show that he should be here" so far this season (coaching staff included).
Suter, Klein, SK, Erat, Lindback have all played pretty well so far this season. Erat had some issues early on because of his back and SK the same with his foot. Since they were hooked up they've played pretty well if you ask me. Goc has been streaky but good but not a top 6 guy at all. Wilson has been shuffled around quite a bit and hasn't really settled into any sort of rhythm but his skill set is there, he just needs better linemates overall. Spaling, while not an offensive dynamo, has been excellent on the defensive side of things.

Weber has been a bit of a disappointment. Franson and O'Brien are ok but are inconsistent as a pairing. Bouillon has been ok but not worthy of second pairing minutes. Sully can't finish on breakaways. Legwand has been out too much to really judge. Rinne has been inconsistent. One moment amazing then the next he's letting in soft goals. Ward has been completely underwhelming. O'Reilly started out well but has dropped off significantly. Noticed he got knocked off the puck way too easily at one point last night. Dumont has been jerked around way too much. He's been hustling but gave up last night like many others did in the third period.

Suter is our best player on both ends of the ice, hands down, no questions asked. We struggle when he's not in the lineup and even with him, we have struggled but it's not usually when he's out there.

Other guys need to step it up with the injuries we have and while the talent is there right now, the effort that needs to make up for loss of talent isn't there either.

After watching them collapse last night and then give up for the most part, I'd suggest a wake up call. Either a players only a meeting or a bag skate. Nothing more that I can't stand is a team that gives up on the ice and that's what I saw last night in the third period.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
This is a huge problem for me. Sports are full of roll players and while I get that, Trotz needs to have higher expectations from the guys on this team. If all he expects from Smithson is to win faceoffs, play the PK and be a defensive shutdown guy, he needs to go. You have to put more expectations on guys to have a winning franchise. If doesn't challenge Smithson, or any guy on this team to be more well rounded players, this will be the result. When a few guys get injured, other guys can't pick up what's lost because all they know is their roll.

Legwand should be expected to more offensive while continuing his defensive roll.

Weber and Suter should be expected to provide more offense in addition to their solid defensive game.

Spaling, Smithson and Ward need to learn to finish in addition to being able to grind and play defensively.

I'd go on and on but you get the point. Once again, I understand roll players but their games need to be more well rounded and Smithson has no business being on the ice other than as a penalty killer and occasional grinder. And when you're down two goals in a game, why is your grinder line out with about 2 and a half minutes to go? Poor freaking Wilson is all I can say.
That has been my point the past week. Players are being asked to step up and fill bigger roles, they are working hard and taking care of the defensive end of the ice, they're even creating chances at the offensive end. The problem is they aren't finishing those chances and as a result guys are gripping their sticks too tight and guys up and down the lineup are trying to force things and attempt things that are above their skill level when the focus should be on simplifying things.

Trotz has few choices. Last night he had even fewer when Legwand wasn't able to go and Trotz was forced to dress Belak on top of a guy making his NHL debut that hasn't practiced with the team before. Unfortunately, when there's less than five minutes to go in the game and you've been playing with just 10 skaters for most of the game, guys like Smithson are going to be asked to take a shift...

Old
12-29-2010, 10:35 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:

Trotz has few choices. Last night he had even fewer when Legwand wasn't able to go and Trotz was forced to dress Belak on top of a guy making his NHL debut that hasn't practiced with the team before. Unfortunately, when there's less than five minutes to go in the game and you've been playing with just 10 skaters for most of the game, guys like Smithson are going to be asked to take a shift...
don't forget it was klasens third game.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
jlsg

We're asking guys to step up that don't really have the skill set to take that step. A hockey team is made up of players that have a particular job to do. When we have all of those pieces in place, we're a decent team, we've shown that. When key pieces of the team are out, the machine has a tough time operating. Smithson, for example, has a job to do and we as a team need him to do that job. His job is not to score goals, that's up to Wilson, Erat, Sully etc. Now since some of those guys are out, we're asking him to do something he's never been responsible for his entire NHL career. Yes, it would be great if he would step up, but he has limited skill in that area of the game. Now, we can draft, trade, acquire scoring forwards and not worry about the things that a guy like Smithson does, but that team will definitely not win in the playoffs. Ask any Capitals fan.
I thought the guys played one of the best games they've played all year. We didn't have a bad period, we had a couple of bad 2 or 3 minutes and we paid the price. I'm not making excuses and nobody on the Preds team is either. Everyone needs to take the next step, we just have to realize that we're asking a lot out of some of these guys, a real lot.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
We're asking guys to step up that don't really have the skill set to take that step. A hockey team is made up of players that have a particular job to do. When we have all of those pieces in place, we're a decent team, we've shown that. When key pieces of the team are out, the machine has a tough time operating. Smithson, for example, has a job to do and we as a team need him to do that job. His job is not to score goals, that's up to Wilson, Erat, Sully etc. Now since some of those guys are out, we're asking him to do something he's never been responsible for his entire NHL career. Yes, it would be great if he would step up, but he has limited skill in that area of the game. Now, we can draft, trade, acquire scoring forwards and not worry about the things that a guy like Smithson does, but that team will definitely not win in the playoffs. Ask any Capitals fan.
I thought the guys played one of the best games they've played all year. We didn't have a bad period, we had a couple of bad 2 or 3 minutes and we paid the price. I'm not making excuses and nobody on the Preds team is either. Everyone needs to take the next step, we just have to realize that we're asking a lot out of some of these guys, a real lot.
I understand we're playing short handed right now but at the same time, when we're healthy, we still have the propensity to make roll players out of guys that have the skills to be good two players.

If Smithson were used as a 4th line grinder for a few shifts each period and to contribute on the PK I would have no issue with him or the way guys are utilized. It's when he's being used in a 3rd line shutdown roll that I have issue with. 3rd line guys, even in a shutdown roll need to be able to put up 30-40 points a year. Your top 2 lines are responsible for a bulk of the scoring and the 3rd line is your second tier scoring while anything that gets chipped in from the 4th line is a bonus.

We play Smitty on the third line in the regular season and then regulate him to the 4th line come playoff time and move JP up in the playoffs and guess what, JP had a good playoffs last year while having Legwand on his line to help defensively. I don't think we'll ever have a top 9 that will be as complete as Trotz would like but he's going to have to accept the fact that some forwards are better offensively and will have to live with their short comings defensively.

It is a catch 22 though. Put JP out there more often we should score more but we might give up more goals but if we put Smitty out there we may give up less but we score less. Not sure which is the better solution at the end of the day.

I think we could get better two way play all the way around from our forwards without sacrificing defensively.

Once again the problem right now is injuries but hopefully with Legwand and Erat set to return, this should help out quite a bit. We'll see come Friday night.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Here's an idea. Put Wilson with some guys that can accept passes and make them. Maybe the Preds would score more?
With the new signing, does this mean that 33 remains with Smithson, Ward, Spaling, Mueller?
Once again, trade Wilson for a proven scorer (which I think you could get for him). It is a win-win. Wilson gets to play the way he did when drafted, . Preds get a proven scorer they desperately need.

Old
12-29-2010, 06:06 PM
OpenWheel

Wilson had flaws in his game when he was drafted, and he still has a ways to go.

Not likely we'd have won more games if Wilson had played a top two line role all season.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Wilson had flaws in his game when he was drafted, and he still has a ways to go.

Not likely we'd have won more games if Wilson had played a top two line role all season.
Not saying he does not have flaws in his game, he is still young, but for a team that struggles offensively and you have a young, skilled playmaker, why would you keep putting him on the 4th line or a checking line?
Still not sure why he is there. The last game he played with 16 and 26 he had a strong game....26, not so much before he got hurt. Next game 33 is on the 4th line.
Maybe trying to get Dumont going? But at what expense?

Old
12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Not saying he does not have flaws in his game, he is still young, but for a team that struggles offensively and you have a young, skilled playmaker, why would you keep putting him on the 4th line or a checking line?
Still not sure why he is there. The last game he played with 16 and 26 he had a strong game....26, not so much before he got hurt. Next game 33 is on the 4th line.
Maybe trying to get Dumont going? But at what expense?
I believe Trotz's philospohy is to get all the forwards involved offensively, and like you said, get other players who may be underperforming, going again. That being said it stretches out the offense much too far, and there just isn't a line that can put on sustained pressure for a given amount of time. You can't win games by chiping it in, digging for the puck, getting a shot off and heading back to your zone. That one line that gives you sustaining pressure, wearing down their players, having them chase after the puck, is crucial.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Mrs. Bee and I were in town for the Music City Bowl (don't get me started on THAT debacle), and also caught the Dallas game. You may have spotted me....I was the only guy in attendance wearing an Adam Hall alternate jersey with a CBJ hat.

I hadn't been to Nashville in 10 years, and I was impressed by several things. Namely:
- High-energy, passionate crowd (never really in doubt, but I was impressed).
- The only thing you can't see from the 4th row are Brad Richards' upper lip, Steve Ott's common sense, and Chris Lee's quality officiating....you can't see what doesn't exist.
- The shuttle to and from the LP Field parking areas was a nice touch with all the parking issues in the area. That worked out well....parking for the bowl ended up being a clusterbone.
- The fact that, while on the shuttle back to the field, a guy hanging onto the rail started singing "Monorail, monorail" from The Simpsons.

Thanks to one and all for making a mini-vacation an enjoyable experience for us!

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:20 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Mrs. Bee and I were in town for the Music City Bowl (don't get me started on THAT debacle), and also caught the Dallas game. You may have spotted me....I was the only guy in attendance wearing an Adam Hall alternate jersey with a CBJ hat.

I hadn't been to Nashville in 10 years, and I was impressed by several things. Namely:
- High-energy, passionate crowd (never really in doubt, but I was impressed).
- The only thing you can't see from the 4th row are Brad Richards' upper lip, Steve Ott's common sense, and Chris Lee's quality officiating....you can't see what doesn't exist.
- The shuttle to and from the LP Field parking areas was a nice touch with all the parking issues in the area. That worked out well....parking for the bowl ended up being a clusterbone.
- The fact that, while on the shuttle back to the field, a guy hanging onto the rail started singing "Monorail, monorail" from The Simpsons.

Thanks to one and all for making a mini-vacation an enjoyable experience for us!
I know I had nothing to do with your Nashville experience, other than another voice in the crowd, but you are welcome.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
How did Svatos look?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote