HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josi/Blum

Old
12-26-2010, 10:18 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Josi/Blum

Are Josi and Blum ready yet? I'm sick of watching Franson and O'Brien suck.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:38 PM
WartracePred

I'd say we have bigger issues than Franson and O'Brien. Josi and Blum aren't going to change the success, or lack thereof, of the Preds this year.

Half of the lineup tonight started in MIL or Europe last year. And the other half is Ward, Belak, Tootoo, and Smithson.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Im dying to see them, give it a shot. Blum has been waiting forever and Josi is a beast with no bad part to his game. I see him as a more offensive Suter but not as elite on defense of course.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 12:18 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

But then we might stop losin' for Larsson.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:19 AM
admiralsroundtable

They're not ready yet, but they're close.

Blum has scored on the power play in the last two games, but has been a little more suspect defensively than he had been earlier in the year. He's been burned with pinching in too far and getting caught up ice. Better decisions come with experience.

Josi just needs a little more seasoning with the North American game. I'm confident he'll be as good as advertised once he arrives.

Laakso has been very good so far this year. My guess is that if you need a defender for a quick fix, you'll get Laakso again. But if you're looking to give someone an audition, I think they'd still be best served on the JV team for a little while.

admiralsroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:00 AM
glenngineer

I realize neither are ready but Franson keeps making the same stupid mistakes passing the puck to the middle of the ice when he needs to go to the boards. At some point these guys need to sit if they're going to make mistakes. It's funny that Franson makes these mistakes on a regular basis yet still plays. O'Brien is so so as well. Wilson makes a pass like that and he's bumped down a line or two usually. Smithson makes a pass like that and he gets more minutes.

I'm interested to see how Franson progresses over time. I wonder if he needs a more steady veteran partner than O'Brien. Klein's game has certainly benefitted from having Bouillon play with him. I wonder if switching O'Brien and Bouillon would make us better or worse on the bottom two pairings? Any thoughts?

Old
12-27-2010, 11:59 AM
jlsg

If Franson didn't produce on the offense end he wouldn't be here. And O'Brien is paying the price for being matched up with him. I think O'Brien has done really well both on and off the ice considering the situation he's been placed in.
I'm afraid at this point replacing Franson with either Blum or Josi wouldn't be an improvement, just more of the same. Next year could be a different story. I don't think Franson has made the next step defensively to stick with this team next year.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Legionnaire11

Franson to me seems to be making the same season-by-season progression that Klein did. They both had to hang around and develop for the NHL longer than a lot of us anticipated (mainly because Suter and Weber set the bar so high), and a lot of people wondered if either would live up to expectations. When each got the full ride it was a risk taken by management, Klein wasn't terrific his first full season and saw about 60 games with typical rookie struggles, then last season played a full schedule, showed some improvement but still had consistency problems and was often the whipping boy. Now this season it looks like he found his game in the NHL and has been our clear #3 guy.

Similarly Franson came in with around 60 games and had typical rookie struggles. This season he should play a full schedule, he's improved but still has consistency problems and he's often the whipping boy.

My money is on Franson really finding his NHL game at some point this season/offseason and being a steady and solid second pairing d-man next season.

And when Blum, Josi, COR, Ellis, etc get their turn, I would almost certainly bet that it takes 3 seasons for them to really become solid NHL players.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
MattPreds37

I love how people are talking like we are going to tank into the 3rd, when we were 4th in the western playoff picture and I think 1 and 12 are seperated by 10 points in the west. Franson and SOB are not really a giant problem right now, I dont think.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:46 PM
adsfan

Neither Josi or Blum is NHL ready. They can't finish a rush. They get down to the face off dot and look lost. Blum can hammer the puck from the point and he can cheat down on the back side like a veteran.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:16 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Neither Josi or Blum is NHL ready. They can't finish a rush. They get down to the face off dot and look lost. Blum can hammer the puck from the point and he can cheat down on the back side like a veteran.
The way the preds have blown lead after lead after lead (LIKE TONIGHT) this season, I don't know if I would say this current group of defensemen are NHL ready.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:31 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
We had a one goal lead for all of a minute. I don't think I would necessarily call that blowing a lead. The rest of the season, sure, but not vs Dallas.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
We had a one goal lead for all of a minute. I don't think I would necessarily call that blowing a lead. The rest of the season, sure, but not vs Dallas.
Blowing a lead is when you're up and the other team ends up winning. Regardless of whether it was a minute, this was a major meltdown.