HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

is it time for Leighton?

Old
12-29-2010, 12:21 AM
bauer

vCash: 500
is it time for Leighton?

now that both Bouch and Bob have been shelled in each of their last game. i'm not the biggest Leighton fan but i do think it's time he got a start. at least to see what he can do. rolling with 3 goalies is just plain stupid, it's a complete waste of cap space. they need to either play him, or waive him.

does anyone think he'll get a start before the end of this road trip?

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Chris Therien mentioned during tonight's broadcast (at Vancouver) that he predicts Leighton will play at some point during this trip.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Nope.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:45 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Damnit, I just bought a Bob jersey. He better be what we all hoped. I would cry if he was another Bouch/Cechmanek.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:49 AM
FlyerGuy18

If it happens this trip the ideal game would have to be in New Jersey IMO

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Time to leave...yup...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Flyerfan4life

next game...

its def. time.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
now that both Bouch and Bob have been shelled in each of their last game. i'm not the biggest Leighton fan but i do think it's time he got a start. at least to see what he can do. rolling with 3 goalies is just plain stupid, it's a complete waste of cap space. they need to either play him, or waive him.

does anyone think he'll get a start before the end of this road trip?
First off let me say that it was not the goaltending that lost the last two games... Florida couldn't be beat without scoring a goal, but Bob wasn't what he was at his best but was hung out to dry a bit if I recall... Boosh held in there most of the time but did let in a bad one to cap off their scoring.

Tonight I can't pin the loss on the goaltending as much as on the complete bad team effort... IMO, due greatly to the horrible scheduling and human nature allowing bad discipline, the last two games were lost by the team taking off for the Holiday vacation early in a sandwich game that was pretty easy to predict... and the team just being flat out unprepared to battle off of an eight day layoff that should never have been scheduled... Lay that all on the entire team... no excuses as they should have not let it happen. They better show what they have going forward, or rethink their position as a League elite team... They will be okay I believe.

Now back on topic... The big concern I see with the three goalie situation is that two of the three are waiver players and if demoted would probably not be able to be recalled before the Postseason without losing them and half their contract and Cap hit -- two years worth for Leighton at twice Boosh's rate -- and Bob is the targeted goalie of the next decade who they hope to get up to par this season... Leighton cannot be completely counted on to stay healthy and Homer has expressed his concern on that. Send Boosh down and that leaves Backlund as the back up for Bob if Leighton gets injured... Sad to say the safest way is sending Bob down because he can be recalled without clearing waivers.

With the LTIR situation actually not allowing the Flyers to bank Cap space, carrying the three goalies is actually not hurting the team and is the safest path without demoting Bobrovsky... If Homer can live with this situation up to near the Trade Deadline, it shouldn't hurt the team. Before the TDL he could make a move when sure of which goalies give him the best chance of success and if Leighton can stay healthy and Bob can be the answer.

That is my view on the subject... I don't see the situation as stupid... just not what Homer or any of us would really like to have, but do have.

EDIT: Oh yeah, haha... to answer the question; I'd give a start on this trip and work in all three... I'd try to get Bob back on track mainly though.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-29-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:07 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
First off let me say that it was not the goaltending that lost the last two games... Florida couldn't be beat without scoring a goal, but Bob wasn't what he was at his best but was hung out to dry a bit if I recall... Boosh held in there most of the time but did let in a bad one to cap off their coring.

Tonight I can't pin the loss on the goaltending as much as on the complete bad team effort... IMO, due greatly to the horrible scheduling and human nature allowing bad discipline, the last two games were lost by the team taking off for the Holiday vacation early in a sandwich game that was pretty easy to predict... and the team just being flat out unprepared to battle off of an eight day layoff that should never have been scheduled... Lay that all on the entire team... no excuses as they should have not let it happen. They better show what they have going forward, or rethink their position as a League elite team... They will be okay I believe.

Now back on topic... The big concern I see with the three goalie situation is that two of the three are waiver players and if demoted would probably not be able to be recalled before the Postseason without losing them and half their contract and Cap hit -- two years wort for Leighton at twice Boosh's rate -- and Bob is the targeted goalie of the next decade who they hope to get up to par this season... Leighton cannot be completely counted on to stay healthy and Homer has expressed his concern on that. Send Boosh down and that leave Backlund as the back up for Bob if Leighton gets injured... Sad to say the safest way is sending Bob down because he can be recalled without clearing waivers.

With the LTIR situation actually not allowing the Flyers to bank Cap space, carrying the three goalies are actually not hurting the team and is the safest path without demoting Bobrovsky... If Homer can live with this situation up to the Trade Deadline, it shouldn't hurt the team. Before the TDL he could make a move when sure of which goalies give him the best chance off success and if Leighton can stay healthy and Bob can be the answer.

That is my view on the subject... I don't see the situation as stupid... just not what Homer or any of us would really like to have, but do have.

EDIT: Oh yeah, haha... to answer the question; I'd give a start on this trip and work in all three... I'd try to get Bob back on track mainly though.
I'm thinking that Bob has hit the rookie wall. Needs some time off, to refocus - get back to basics, etc.

If he does not have to pass through waivers, let him refine his game in the A. Him getting shelled, regardless of how well the team is playing, does us no good.

And, quite frankly, I see Leighton getting hurt again, soon.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:26 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I'm thinking that Bob has hit the rookie wall. Needs some time off, to refocus - get back to basics, etc.

If he does not have to pass through waivers, let him refine his game in the A. Him getting shelled, regardless of how well the team is playing, does us no good.

And, quite frankly, I see Leighton getting hurt again, soon.
I honestly think Bob is struggling under Jeff Reese. I find Bob is a better goalie when he sits a bit back in his net ( Like Hank from the Rags). Several times I see him really far out of his net, whether it be a miscommunication between him and Reese. For his style he needs to play deeper in the net and rely on his speed to make the saves. I know he's not an overly big goalie, but his butterfly style isn't suited to come and challenge really far out of his net. I expect Leighton to start as early as LA but this team really seems unfocused without Prongs.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Jester

If he's still having problems feeling his foot... then, no.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Personally my foot has plenty of feeling and I would like to put it in motion ...right in Leighton's mudflaps...

Still not happy about his back stunt...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:15 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Damnit, I just bought a Bob jersey. He better be what we all hoped. I would cry if he was another Bouch/Cechmanek.
Cechmanek was an elite goalie, just had a teenage girl's attitude. Bob will be fine though, he has too much natural ability and too strong of a work ethic to fail.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

No, Leighton sucks.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:31 AM
JCameron418

Its the Pronger affect

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:38 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

it's time for a bag skate, and when they're done that, a surprise second bag skate

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I missed the first goal but I know goals 2-4 weren't really Bouch's fault. Just the effect of crappy defense. He got pulled to shake the team up and motivate. I think Bouch looks fine, and played well considering he got peppered with 22 shots in the first.

My answer: No.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 12-29-2010 at 07:57 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Kaktus*

Is it time for John Stevens?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
2fast4u2*

YES lets see what Leighton is like NOW, without Pronger in front of him might be a good challenge for him.Also it might take a little pressure off of Bob,which i think he needs right about now.Hell, you never know,Leighton just might take the reigns and run with them....maybe not too.We will just have to watch and see.....

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:15 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Is it time for John Stevens?
Only if he brings Randy Jones back with him.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
DJ Mix

No, I think it's time for Pronger.

DJ Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:26 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
next game...

its def. time.
Please tell me you didn't blame the goalies for last night's loss?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:28 AM
IrishSniper87

Bob played well, he just played behind a defense that had 5 guys through most of the 3rd period and was missing Pronger and Timonen.

Carle was getting double shifted, that's how bad it was yesterday.

I do not want Leighton to start anytime soon.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd give him a shot. He can't do much worse than Bob or Boosh in their last two games.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:54 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Time to leave...yup...
reminded me of the south park episode where they burn lower case t's (for time to leave) outside of the rich people's houses. (warning: KKK humor, although the joke was that the cross burning had nothing to do with the race of the rich people who had recently moved into south park)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...case-t-burning

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote