HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Process is almost complete: Why we need to go for it now

Old
12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
The Process is almost complete: Why we need to go for it now

Through the first ~half of this season, this team has showed me that it's taken the next step. Our young core is ready to not only play the minutes they're given, but to LEAD. There have been so many positive surprises so far this year. There are so many good stories. The only negative is DZ's sophomore slump which I don't think really worries anyone long-term. We've also been without our 2nd-leading scorer from last year, Vinnie Prospal. Looking at the 6-10 teams in the East, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. I see us being a 4-6 seed when all is said and done. But despite it being a huge improvement from last season's disappointment, we shouldn't just be satisfied with making the playoffs. We are at the cusp. We are staring the corner between contender and mere playoff team. This is the most important time in Sather's Rangers tenure. We need to add that big piece that levels the playing field between us and the likes of Pitt, Philly, Wash, Boston (in my opinion, the four best/deepest teams in the East). To do that, we're going to need to trim the fat, and get creative.

Drury should be bought out after this year. No he's not useless. But he is not 7 million dollar useful. He's not even 4 million dollar useful at this point. We have younger, cheaper players who can eat up his minutes and contribute more in all facets of the game (if not faceoffs, they'll come soon enough. hardly any 1st,2nd year players are great at faceoffs right away. it comes with experience.)

Rozy will likely become a cap casualty with Richards on the team. I don't want to start the whole overpaid/undderrated/overrated/hater/lovefest discussion. It's beaten to death almost daily on this board. The point is, his cap-hit is 5 and as a UFA-to-be with only 3 million in actual salary, he has trade value. I'd move him for a 2nd round pick at the draft, or include him in a package for Richards at this year's deadline, obviously. I like Rozy. He's been a warrior for us and is the longest tenured Ranger (along with Henke). However, I think it's time to move on. 5 million for a 2nd pairing d-man (even though Rozy can play 1st pair numbers and play in all situations) is too much when you're spending to the cap trying to ice the most competitive team possible.

We need every dollar we can save. The time to go for it and load up for runs at the cup is approaching more rapidly than some of us thought, and Gaborik and Lundqvist aren't getting any younger. The time to be overly patient has passed. Of course I'm not advocating abandoning the youth-movement or trading the core for older unloyal mercenaries. But it's certainly not time to be sentimental about a guy like Rozy because he's "underrated" and "takes a lot of undeserved crap." We need to put the best team we can on the ice right now. This year. Next year. Our young players are now getting to the level where a hot Lundqvist COULD actually take us to the finals and beyond. The youth-movement worked. Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Sauer are coming into their own. Some of Kreider, Zuccarello, Grachev, Valentenko, McDonagh will be joining them soon enough. We have Gaborik and Lundqvist who are legit superstars and great competitors in this league.

If we can add a Brad Richards (either for nothing but cap-space, or for reasonable assets that we have the depth to replace), it's much more likely that we could get through the Penguins, Flyers, Bruins, Caps in a 7-game series. Those are the four teams I see as being a step ahead of us right now. The gap isn't that big even now, but it certainly gets closer if we add that experienced, top-flight center like Richards.

Brad Richards for Rozsival, McDonagh, Anisimov, 2nd 2011 (becomes a 1st if Richards re-signs)

4th 2011, low-level prospect for Jim Vandermeer
Future considerations for Jason Strudwick

If we make the above moves, here's this year's lineup:

Prospal Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Stepan Zuccarello
Fedotenko Drury Callahan
Prust Boyle Avery
Christensen

Staal Girardi
DZ Sauer
Gilroy Eminger
Vandermeer
Strudwick

Next year everything stays the same except Kreider replaces Prospal or Feds on the left side. Bring back one of Prospal/Feds for 1 year at 1 million. If you can get Richards to lower the cap-hit by giving him more years, then you can potentially add a gritty veteran d-man to round out a defense that is really coming into their own. If cap issues become too severe, buying out Drury is an option. I'd like to see Eminger brought back. Unless Gilroy surprises, Valentenko/McDonagh fight for that spot.

Now if we don't trade for Richards and we're still able to sign him on July 1st... here's what I'd love to see next year:

Kreider Richards Gaborik (fly much?)
Dubinsky Stepan Zuccarello
Boyle Anisimov Callahan
Prust Werek Avery
Weise/Bourque/Grachev as call-ups

Staal Girardi
DZ Sauer
Valentenko Eminger
Vet 7th like Vandermeer or Strudwick
McDonagh/Kundratek/Pashnin as call-ups

If everything falls into place, we'd also be in a strong position to make a deal for a veteran puck-moving or physical d-man. It's hard to say which one we'll need, even looking at this projected lineup. It depends on how DZ rebounds, and how Sauer holds up physically over 82 games. I'm also assuming that Gilroy isn't brought back. But we have some expendable parts that would make for a nice package for a decent 3-5 defenseman: Grachev, Christensen, picks, prospects.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I think if you took a poll, you'd find that most people dont think this crew is a legitimate cup contender.

Its been a nice start to the season, the kids are starting to develop and the future looks bright.

Patience is the key at this point. Absolutely no need to do something silly at the deadline because of a warped sense that this team is on the cusp of a cup. The reality is they are far from it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
BlueHavok

interesting analysis....i dunno how long prospal is gonna be around....and I agree that richards does appear to be a big piece of the puzzle which would make us contenders....but not at the expense of Anisimov...id like to have centers Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Drury....and although I see your point about needing every available dollar, I don't see the Drury going anywhere....especially a buy out.

I feel this team is something special too....but we must stay the course and not tinker with chemistry too much.....scary thought that it may go south if we do.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
IMO we need to go for it IF the price is right here. I can live with giving up a 1st rounder and a decent prospect/youngster, maybe Anisimov, for Richards, assuming our other key parts are healthy at the time of the trade. There's a lot of factors to consider here.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
RangerFan10

I'd be ok if we could even bring back a player like Nik Antropov for a 2nd rounder if we can't get Richards, although I don't think that makes us more than a divisional round team.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think if you took a poll, you'd find that most people dont think this crew is a legitimate cup contender.

Its been a nice start to the season, the kids are starting to develop and the future looks bright.

Patience is the key at this point. Absolutely no need to do something silly at the deadline because of a warped sense that this team is on the cusp of a cup. The reality is they are far from it.
I'd appreciate a little more elaboration and analysis if you're going to call my analysis "warped" and tell me the reality is far from that of a contender. The truth is, right now, there are only 3 teams in the East that I'm not confident we could beat in a 7 game series. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Boston. I honestly think we can beat Washington in a 7 game series, and I'm confident against every other team in the East. When there's only 3 teams you can say that about, you're pretty close to being a contender. My point was that we're only a Brad Richards and maybe a minor move or two away from closing the gap between us and the major contenders like the Pens, Flyers, and Bruins. Tampa has severe goaltending issues and their defense is suspect as well. None of the other teams in the East even remotely frighten me when I consider the matchups over a 7-game series. Even if we had to lose Anisimov, and a prospect like McDonagh, and a 1st, I still think we improve our depth and put ourselves into that select top tier of teams in the East. But, if we can add Brad Richards on July 1st, and the net cost is having to buy out Drury and trade Rozsival at the draft for a pick (still quite fair value regardless), this team should absolutely be one of the top 3-4 favorites to come out of the East. I just don't really see how that's arguable and since you haven't provided any actual argument, I continue to stand by mine.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:55 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I'd appreciate a little more elaboration and analysis if you're going to call my analysis "warped" and tell me the reality is far from that of a contender.
1) We will be better next year if we sign Richards as a UFA rather than trade assets for him this year.
2) It's moot since it's highly doubtful that dallas will trade Richards this season given their current place in the standings.

I agree that if he is the guy we are going to go after, then you trade Rozy and/or buyout Drury to clear the necessary cap space. But there is no way we should do anything toward trying to "contend" this year. A tweek or two to improve our chances in the playoffs is fine, but we are not in a position to add big pieces that will cost assets to obtain.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
1) We will be better next year if we sign Richards as a UFA rather than trade assets for him this year.
2) It's moot since it's highly doubtful that dallas will trade Richards this season given their current place in the standings.

I agree that if he is the guy we are going to go after, then you trade Rozy and/or buyout Drury to clear the necessary cap space. But there is no way we should do anything toward trying to "contend" this year. A tweek or two to improve our chances in the playoffs is fine, but we are not in a position to add big pieces that will cost assets to obtain.
Absolutely agree. I just think that since there really aren't any comparable options to Richards that will be available anytime soon, I'd be willing to move Anisimov, McDonagh, and a 2nd (which becomes a 1st if/when Richards re-signs with us) along with Rozy to get Richards here before July 1. I am pretty confident that NY would be an attractive destination for him, given our team standing, familiarity and prior success with the head coach, friendship with Avery, luxuries, top-notch facilities, etc. However, I'm worried that if Dallas were to move him at the deadline, that his new team would offer him the moon to get him re-signed before we'd even get a chance on the open market. However, this is unlikely simply because, as you said, Dallas is doing great so far and will probably not trade him at the deadline. I just hope he decides to hit FA and not re-sign with Dallas before then. I'd also be willing to move a conditional 1st or 2nd round pick (meaning if we sign him, we give up a 1st or 2nd, and if we don't, we give up nothing) to Dallas in the offseason before July 1 to get exclusive negotiating rights, but it's a bit early to even be thinking about this. We have a cup to win this year, first!

Old
12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I don't think Dallas is trading Richards. If they were bad, sure but they're a playoff team.
The Rangers will get him in the summer I believe.

Roszival will be traded.
Gilroy will not be here next year.
Eminger will be brought back as a 7th D-man.
McD will be on the team.
The Rangers probably go out and get a veteran D-man. If not maybe they like Eminger as a 3rd pairing.
Prospal won't be here.
Fedotanko won't be here.

Dubinsky--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Callahan
Avery--Anisimov--Zuccarello
Boyle--Drury--Prust

Staal--Girardi
MDZ--Sauer
McD--Eminger

I would like to see Werek but who you getting rid of? Prust no, Boyle no, no one wants Avery and Drury.

Ranger need another top pairing D-man to put with Staal. Girardi, Sauer, McD (in time I think he will be solid) are all solid. Not outstanding good but solid. Del Zotto needs to improve defensively to even become solid.

I think if they can some how get a top D-man, that would do wonder for that group.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
asparkoflife

Dallas is not going to trade Brad Richards. Theyre 2nd in the West.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
LyNX27

I feel that too many people are discounting Drury's value. Understandably he is not a 7 million dollar man, but his value is the play offs and in moments where you need a body infront of a puck to lighten the load on a goalie facing heavy shots in the play offs cannot be denied.

Personally this is not our year, but within the next 2 years we should be legit contenders.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Nevermind i'm an idiot and didn't read the whole post.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO we need to go for it IF the price is right here. I can live with giving up a 1st rounder and a decent prospect/youngster, maybe Anisimov, for Richards, assuming our other key parts are healthy at the time of the trade. There's a lot of factors to consider here.
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

The key is identifying what pieces we're missing and what pieces are expendable. The obvious one is a 1C. Depending on the price, I'd pull the trigger.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Those starting six defenseman aren't going to get it done.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:39 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Those starting six defenseman aren't going to get it done.
Certainly not....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:41 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I feel that too many people are discounting Drury's value. Understandably he is not a 7 million dollar man, but his value is the play offs and in moments where you need a body infront of a puck to lighten the load on a goalie facing heavy shots in the play offs cannot be denied.

Personally this is not our year, but within the next 2 years we should be legit contenders.
Drury is the 13th most valuable forward on this team. In other words if I was picking a name out of a hat and that person had to sit in the press box the rest of the season I would pray to pull Drury's name.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
getting Strudwick would be dumb. and no thank you to trading Anisimov for Richards. hes a UFA this summer...

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:44 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Drury is the 13th most valuable forward on this team. In other words if I was picking a name out of a hat and that person had to sit in the press box the rest of the season I would pray to pull Drury's name.
His faceoffs alone put him in the top 9 in terms of "most valuable forward" on this team.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Some of you guys really need to step back and stop evaluating Chris Drury based on his salary instead of his game. On a team that's this challenged on Face Offs, there's NO WAY you'd sit Drury.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
broadwayblue

Thanks. But no thanks. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Some of you guys really need to step back and stop evaluating Chris Drury based on his salary instead of his game. On a team that's this challenged on Face Offs, there's NO WAY you'd sit Drury.
Every forward on the team right now is contributing something positive. Go back and watch the Islanders game. 7 Million dollars or 500K I saw a guy literally screw up every touch of the puck (around 10-15) in the first period until he clanged one off the iron which you can't classify as a screw up. That would be like a soccer midfielder making 5 errant passes, being unable to trap 5 balls that came his way, and getting the ball taken away from him 5 times all in one half. Drury's line was hurt severely on a shift to shift basis because of his flustered play. And yea I know he was on the ice for Rangers goals and that he even got credited for two assists (gorgeous ones in fact, smh) but all the hard work that Dubi and Anisimov were doing was concluding with flustered Drury acting all flustered.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Give up assets for a soon-to-be UFA, playing for a team that's 2nd in the West?

What a ****ing genius idea! And original! Totally doable!

We're buying out our captain's final year too? And trading Rozsival? Sounds like someone was hitting the pipe last night playing too much NHL-11.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Good analysis by the OP but I think the 2 subjects of 1) a drury buyout and 2) the stars trading Richards have been beaten to death in other threads. Yes that package proposed by the OP would probably be something the stars would think long and hard about... If they were in LAST. But they aren't in last; right now they look like they have a legitimate shot at winning the cup. Why would they just trade away their best player in the middle of a cup run? That's kind of absurd if you ask me.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Every forward on the team right now is contributing something positive. Go back and watch the Islanders game. 7 Million dollars or 500K I saw a guy literally screw up every touch of the puck (around 10-15) in the first period until he clanged one off the iron which you can't classify as a screw up. That would be like a soccer midfielder making 5 errant passes, being unable to trap 5 balls that came his way, and getting the ball taken away from him 5 times all in one half. Drury's line was hurt severely on a shift to shift basis because of his flustered play. And yea I know he was on the ice for Rangers goals and that he even got credited for two assists (gorgeous ones in fact, smh) but all the hard work that Dubi and Anisimov were doing was concluding with flustered Drury acting all flustered.
So, judging by the Islanders game (as you're doing): 60 on FO's, 2 Assists, 15:26 TOI, +1, 3 shots and this is your argument for him being "13th"? LOL.

Let's look at the last 5 games on draws, shall we?

Isles 60%
TBL 68.8%
Phi 72.7%
Pho 46.7%
Pit 80%

Case closed.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If Richards wants to be a Ranger, he can sign here in July.

Stars are in absolutely no position to trade their best player. This idiotic logic needs to be shot and killed. Some of you kids need to stop living in fantasy land.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote