HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two Trades to Help the Defense

Old
12-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Hipster Letestu

vCash: 500
Two Trades to Help the Defense

Because I'm bored and have nothing better to do...

Trade 1:

To CBJ:

James Wisniewski

To NYI:

Jan Hejda
3rd round draft pick

Reasoning:

This provides the Blue Jackets with a tough, offensively gifted, right-shooting defenseman who isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Wis makes $3.25 million, Hejda $2 million, so the Islanders save on the remainder of the salary and pick up a relatively high draft pick, plus they can try to re-sign Hejda who is a relatively inexpensive veteran blueliner. The CBJ pick up a little more salary for this year, but Wis is a UFA after the year and they can decide whether or not they want to re-sign him, but I would like to hope they would.

Trade 2:

This one would have to be a deadline deal, so in the assumption that we are still in/battling for a playoff spot and Carolina is not:

To CBJ:

Joni Pitkanen

To CAR:

Theo Ruth
Conditional Draft Pick (if Pitkanen re-signs 1st round pick, if not 2nd round pick)

Reasoning:

If Carolina is out of a playoff spot at the deadline they will probably have to shop Pitkanen, who is in the last year of his contract. He would immediately become our best defenseman and force Stralman or Tyutin out of the lineup. It may be a lot to pay for a possible rental, but I think if we are in position for a playoff spot Howson must do everything short of mortgaging the future to get us there. Pitkanen would add immediate respectability to our blueline.

Our defensive corps would look something like

Pitkanen-Methot
Wisniewski-Klesla
Russell-Commodore

We would have Tyutin and Stralman left, both make lots of dough, Stralman could be sent down to Springfield with Tyutin being the scratch or replacing Commodore from time to time.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I love trade #2, but I think it would cost us alot more than Ruth and a pick, but if they wanted to do that, I wouldn't argue

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:30 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO we will not draft among first teams we could trade our first pick.

And Klesla or Commie they are so slow, too slow. Stralman probably has not too big price now.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:17 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Wasn't Carolina's GM high on Ruth both before and after Washington traded him to the CBJ? Food for thought.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:22 AM

I feel like it would take more to get Pitkanen. Guy is very underrated.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:25 AM
BluejacketNut

I'd see this as a chance if we had different ownership and GM

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 09:45 AM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Because I'm bored and have nothing better to do...

Trade 1:

To CBJ:

James Wisniewski

To NYI:

Jan Hejda
3rd round draft pick

Reasoning:

This provides the Blue Jackets with a tough, offensively gifted, right-shooting defenseman who isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Wis makes $3.25 million, Hejda $2 million, so the Islanders save on the remainder of the salary and pick up a relatively high draft pick, plus they can try to re-sign Hejda who is a relatively inexpensive veteran blueliner. The CBJ pick up a little more salary for this year, but Wis is a UFA after the year and they can decide whether or not they want to re-sign him, but I would like to hope they would.

Trade 2:

This one would have to be a deadline deal, so in the assumption that we are still in/battling for a playoff spot and Carolina is not:

To CBJ:

Joni Pitkanen

To CAR:

Theo Ruth
Conditional Draft Pick (if Pitkanen re-signs 1st round pick, if not 2nd round pick)

Reasoning:

If Carolina is out of a playoff spot at the deadline they will probably have to shop Pitkanen, who is in the last year of his contract. He would immediately become our best defenseman and force Stralman or Tyutin out of the lineup. It may be a lot to pay for a possible rental, but I think if we are in position for a playoff spot Howson must do everything short of mortgaging the future to get us there. Pitkanen would add immediate respectability to our blueline.

Our defensive corps would look something like

Pitkanen-Methot
Wisniewski-Klesla
Russell-Commodore

We would have Tyutin and Stralman left, both make lots of dough, Stralman could be sent down to Springfield with Tyutin being the scratch or replacing Commodore from time to time.

Your kidding right! Wisniewski could have been had for a conditional 3rd this summer. Were going to give Hejda and a third for him now? No way I make that deal.

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

I am not a fan of Wisniewski - I'd rather move Hejda for Roszival - assuming of course, that any of these could be done...

I like Ruth but I think Pitkanen is a little underrated and one of the best A- types in the league. I'd do that and add the pick you didn't have to give NYR for Rozy.

Good, out-of-the-box ideas, astall.

Old
12-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I am not a fan of Wisniewski - I'd rather move Hejda for Roszival - assuming of course, that any of these could be done...

I like Ruth but I think Pitkanen is a little underrated and one of the best A- types in the league. I'd do that and add the pick you didn't have to give NYR for Rozy.

Good, out-of-the-box ideas, astall.
i'd love to be all over these two ideas...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I don't like either of the trades.

The first one is brutal overpayment. James Wisneiwski is a -21 so far this year, and his highest scoring season in the NHL saw him net 30 points. He's another second-pair defenseman, something we already have 5 of.

For the second one, while I'd love to have Joni Pitkanen headed our way, I simply don't think Carolina would make that deal. If Pitkanen becomes available at the deadline, I would have to think the price would be first round pick + prospect ... and in that case, I don't think Ruth is a strong enough prospect ... someone would offer up more.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I don't like either of the trades.

The first one is brutal overpayment. James Wisneiwski is a -21 so far this year, and his highest scoring season in the NHL saw him net 30 points. He's another second-pair defenseman, something we already have 5 of.
The Isles got a 2nd (50th overall) and a 5th for him, we would have needed to dump a defenseman to pick up Wiz, Hejda is in the last year of his contract and is playing horribly, I stand by my offer. The Isles probably didn't want any salary coming back though which is probably why we never got it done imo.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
The Isles got a 2nd (50th overall) and a 5th for him, we would have needed to dump a defenseman to pick up Wiz, Hejda is in the last year of his contract and is playing horribly, I stand by my offer. The Isles probably didn't want any salary coming back though which is probably why we never got it done imo.
I agree that the CBJ would have wanted to send salary and the Isles had only interest in picks (possibly prospects). That's likely why the conversation between Howson and Snow, as reported by the Dispatch, didn't get far.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:38 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Therein is the problem. We can't get a d-man without sending one out of here. Maybe Hejda goes at the deadline; but until Commy is off the books we've got issues.

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
New York Islanders: Traded D James Wisniewski to Montreal for a 2011 second-round draft pick and a conditional 2012 fifth-round draft pick.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...1.html?sid=101

Looks like Hejda could have stayed a Jacket.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I want no part of Wiz on this team, but Pitkanen would be an amazing pick up. We'd finally get that number 1 puck moving defender, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

1. Klesla, Commodore and draft pick <--> Volchenkov, Rolston (better without him )

Yes I know we do not need Rolston but if we take Rolston Devils could willing to trade Volchenkov.

2. Hejda <--> draft pick

and call Holden and Moore.

our defense:

Tyutin, Holden
Moore, Volchenkov
Russell, Methot
Stralman

Last edited by mt-svk: 12-29-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old
12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

good luck with that mt...I don't see NJ adding that...

as an aside...if Scotty tried a trade, i.e. if he were to have traded for Wiz and he flamed out...would you be ok with it b/c he tried, or more mad he made a deal for a so so defenseman that was having a good year???

Old
12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

sorry...trying to think outside the box today....reading thru the trade board on the thread about Tavares resigning with the Isles or not got me thinking....

a) is John Tavares a true #1 "I" (as a jackets fan) would like to see between Nash and Juice?

b) would Brass, Nikki, and a 1st work? Or sub Jake for Nikki if needbe?

c) does that improve this team enough?

Old
12-29-2010, 09:59 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
sorry...trying to think outside the box today....reading thru the trade board on the thread about Tavares resigning with the Isles or not got me thinking....

a) is John Tavares a true #1 "I" (as a jackets fan) would like to see between Nash and Juice?

b) would Brass, Nikki, and a 1st work? Or sub Jake for Nikki if needbe?

c) does that improve this team enough?
No. Where is written Tavares would sign us next deal. Besides the price for him would be too big.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:44 AM
BluejacketNut

Ya, if he's not willing to resign with the lowly Islanders, i doubt he'd be thrilled to sign with the semi lowly Jackets

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
EDM

There is no way meek Scottie would do any of these trades.

You need to search for a blander version of vanilla to find where Howson's mind is at.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Ya, if he's not willing to resign with the lowly Islanders, i doubt he'd be thrilled to sign with the semi lowly Jackets
well in my three questions, if the answer to A is yes...that may make us "less lowly"