HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who did the Rangers almost trade for Eric Lindros?

Old
12-29-2010, 12:31 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
For those curious:

"Lindros was sent to the Flyers for Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, two first-round picks (one used to select Jocelyn Thibault and the other traded twice, eventually used by the Capitals to draft Nolan Baumgartner) and $15 million." from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_95680465/

So basically the Nordiques/Avs turned this deal into Forsberg, Sandis Ozolinsh, Alex Tangauy, and Patrick Roy and then Hextall for Deadmarsh which was turned into Rob Blake...pretty darn good.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:45 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
For those curious:

"Lindros was sent to the Flyers for Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, two first-round picks (one used to select Jocelyn Thibault and the other traded twice, eventually used by the Capitals to draft Nolan Baumgartner) and $15 million." from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_95680465/

So basically the Nordiques/Avs turned this deal into Forsberg, Sandis Ozolinsh, Alex Tangauy, and Patrick Roy and then Hextall for Deadmarsh which was turned into Rob Blake...pretty darn good.
everytime i read what was traded for him my reaction remains the same...(as ESPN would say) COME ON MAAAAAAAAAAAN...id gladly take what they offered any day especially what it did for the QUE/COL franchise.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Someone needs to ask Snider if it was all worth it.

In 1997, no way Colorado trades Forsberg and Ricci for Lindros.

I've said this a million times: the Recchi trade made the Flyers, not the Lindros trade. Lindros played two injury-plagued seasons in Philly before they acquired one of the top-10 d-men in the league and the guy who basically became the league's premier power forward for almost a decade.

The "Legion of Doom" and Clarke are just as responsible for the Dead Puck Era as are the Debbies. After witnessing the success of the the 1995 season, he began picking size over skill.

The 1996 Flyers had 14 Regulars who were 6'2 or higher. FOURTEEN!

Anyway, it's so easy for people to forget how soft Amonte played in 1993 and he vanished in 1994. I had nooooooo problem with that trade at all. The Rangers were top-heavy at forward at the time, and I just cant see Amonte making much of a difference to the 1998-2004 teams.

Think about it: Amonte was traded to a stacked Blackhawks team who basically went four years without making the playoffs, sandwiched in between 1st-round ousters. Amonte was no difference maker -- he needed enablers.

As for Weight, it was sad to see him go, but the Rangers were too deep at center. Not only that, but Tikkanen was still regarded as one of the game's better two-way forwards.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Only Kovalev was on that cup team though.
True, but the entire chemistry of the team would have turned out differently. Who knows what kind of clash there would have been between Messier and Lindros? The legendary veteran and the up and coming "prototype" power forward, which is what Lindros was being touted as at the time.

Of course it could have gone well too, and we could have become a dynasty winning 2-3 Cups...

But, anyone who has been around long enough to know The Rangers prior to '94 knows that we would NEVER make that trade if it were to jeopardize the Cup year.

So, in the end what I am saying is: It all worked out for the best.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
More importantly, they turned it into 2 Cups.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Giacomin

I remember listening to WFAN on I believe a Saturday when Bertuzzi the arbitrater was going to announce his decision. The WFAN dedicated basically the whole morning to "The Decision" and when it was announced I was upset but looking back in hindsight it worked out all right for the Blueshirts. It is funny but I was also upset with "The Decision" last summer so lets hope it works out for New York in the long run.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
dang i remember that. Lindros was like Crosby before he was drafted. urrybody wanted his ass. he tore it up for a few, then found out his skull was made of glass and pine cones.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The wikipedia report about the draft picks is wrong. I remember Neil Smith discussing how the 3 #1 picks were spaced out over 4-5 years and not 3 straight years. VBK was in the deal but his free agent status was in question. The issue was over VBK being a group II or an unrestricted free agent(Group 5). If VBK refused to report or was declared an UFA,James Patrick was replacing VBK in the deal. VBK was declared a group II.

The Rangers were owned by Gulf and Western which became Paramount. Stan Jaffe ran Paramount and loved running the Garden. Jaffe fired Al Bianchi and hired Dave Checketts to run the Knicks. Jaffe hired Pat Riley. Jaffe wanted to hire Cliff Fletcher to replace Neil Smith but the Silver Fox went to the Leafs. Smith stayed. Jaffe pushed for Mark Messier. Jaffe gave Smith an extension and made him team president at the 1992 draft in Montreal. Jaffe pushed for Lindros. Jaffe also hired Mike Keenan. When Paramount was in the process of being sold to Viacom,Jaffe was forced out a few months before the Rangers won the Cup. If you watch the Cup celebration tape,Smith hugs a bald guy. That's Jaffe. When Viacom wanted to sell the Garden properties,Jaffe put together a group to buy them but they went to ITT/Cablevision. ITT was the main owner. Anyone remember Rand Araskog? CVC got involved for MSG network. ITT sold their portion to CVC to fight off a hostile bid by Steve Bollenbach. That's how Jimmy Dolan became Garden boss.

Jaffe is the reason why the Rangers didn't land Lindros. He didn't leave NYC for Montreal until Saturday morning. He should have been in Montreal on Friday to close the Lindros deal. Jaffe handled the money part of the transaction. The player part of the deal below is wrong but the other stuff is accurate. Marcel Aubut was a greedy pig and he got nervous.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...#ixzz19RTIOJXp
I spent an interesting day with Mr. Bollenbach once upon a time. What a thoroughly pleasant individual

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The three first round picks became Nik Sundstrom, Dan Cloutier and Christian Dube.
No, Dube was a second rounder. They traded the first for Rat Verbeek. The pick became J-S Giguere.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote