HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rolston officially on re-entry waivers [cleared]

Old
12-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Yes and no. With 103 days remaining in the 186 day season [55.4%], a team claiming Rolston now would get half of 55.4% contract/cap for the remainder of 10-11. For Rolston that would be salary of $1,384k and cap hit of $1,402k in 2010-2011 for a team that claimed him.

However if you look at Cap Geek to see how much "Cap Space" teams have, that doesn't mean a team with $1.5m in cap space could claim him. The Cap Space figures on capgeek are all prorated to total value of the contract and days remaining in the season, so a team would still need $2.5m in cap space for 2010-2011 to add him if you go by the capgeek numbers.
This is exactly correct. If a team wants to claim Rolston on re-entry, the team has to have at least 2.5M this year AND next year in cap space to add his 2.5M cap hit. With the Wisniewski trade yesterday, I have to think if he's claimed, it'll be by the Islanders. If they don't claim him, I think he clears.

I have a question I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to. How was Rolston assigned to Albany now? He cleared waivers on the 15th of December. That was two whole weeks ago. The Devils kept him on the roster when he cleared and he played after clearing, yet they're allowed to assign him two weeks after clearing? I'm just wondering why they wouldn't have had to waive him again. Unless with waivers you have a certain time period where you can assign to the minors, but TWO WEEKS later? Why didn't they have to waive him again, say yesterday, and have him clear again before he could be assigned to the minors?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:22 AM
tankotopgun

i think the crap the islanders are pulling with yashin still on the books is cap circumvention. the guys is really good friends with the owner. he still plays at the pro level in the khl where is is a point a game. with the contract they gave him. i wouldnt be 1 bit surprised if the owner knew they wouldnt honor his contract when they signed him. his salary helps them stay above the cap floor. so wouldnt be surprised if they grabbed rolston . plus the other thread about them going after semin. the salary hit to them isnt bad for taking both guys on because they already spend so little.

tankotopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
tankotopgun

sorry just to be clear. they are honoring his contract i just think they knew there was a good chance they would end up buying him out before his contract was up.

tankotopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @kuklaskorner: RT @NHLDevils: Brian Rolston has been placed on re-entry waivers. #njdevils

There was also a tweet earlier that even though Rolston has a NTC, he would accept a trade to any team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @kuklaskorner: RT @NHLDevils: Brian Rolston has been placed on re-entry waivers. #njdevils

There was also a tweet earlier that even though Rolston has a NTC, he would accept a trade to any team.
Watch him get claimed by the Islanders

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

So Wisniewski for Rolston, MTL 2nd and MTL 5th?

I still don't think I'd do that deal if I was the Isles.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
So Wisniewski for Rolston, MTL 2nd and MTL 5th?

I still don't think I'd do that deal if I was the Isles.
I mean it is Snow

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankotopgun View Post
i think the crap the islanders are pulling with yashin still on the books is cap circumvention. the guys is really good friends with the owner. he still plays at the pro level in the khl where is is a point a game. with the contract they gave him. i wouldnt be 1 bit surprised if the owner knew they wouldnt honor his contract when they signed him. his salary helps them stay above the cap floor. so wouldnt be surprised if they grabbed rolston . plus the other thread about them going after semin. the salary hit to them isnt bad for taking both guys on because they already spend so little.
You are watching to much CSI. LOL Yashin was signed to his contract before the lockout and cap, so how would wanger know to sign him to keep the team payroll above the cap floor? I do not disagree with your theory that the Islanders are circumventing the cap. But I feel they do it with 'bonuses' for performance that count that may not be acheived.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I mean it is Snow
Load up on draft picks, draft "talent"

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I have a question I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to. How was Rolston assigned to Albany now? He cleared waivers on the 15th of December. That was two whole weeks ago. The Devils kept him on the roster when he cleared and he played after clearing, yet they're allowed to assign him two weeks after clearing? I'm just wondering why they wouldn't have had to waive him again. Unless with waivers you have a certain time period where you can assign to the minors, but TWO WEEKS later? Why didn't they have to waive him again, say yesterday, and have him clear again before he could be assigned to the minors?
As long as the Rolston has not played 10 NHL games or been on a NHL roster for 30 days since being waived, he doesn't need to be waived again in order to be assigned to Albany.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
ocarina

The only team I see claiming him are the Isles, and that's only for the sake of his cap hit (could be a cheap way of getting to the floor if they buy him out next year)

Rolston is a shell of his former self, he just simply isn't good anymore. I could see a few teams chancing his 2.5 mil price tag this year to see if he can be a bottom 6 forward/PP option, but that second year remaining is killer. I can't see a team willing to chance on Rolston with that second year.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Either Oilers, Leafs or NYI claims him.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
As long as the Rolston has not played 10 NHL games or been on a NHL roster for 30 days since being waived, he doesn't need to be waived again in order to be assigned to Albany.
Minor tweak: it's more than 30 days, i.e. 31+ days.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Reign Nateo

I think the last thing the Islanders need is to be locked into more wasted money.

They're still paying Yashin 4.7 million, Witt about a million this year and next, and owe one of the worst goalies in the league 4.5 for the next century or so. Adding Rolston, with the way he's played this year, would be like 6-7 million absolutley wasted next year. Not good business.

They have to re-sign Okposo, Grabner, Bailey, Schremp and Comeau as well. Add an actual moderate UFA (or re-sign Moulson and Martinek?) and the bonuses for Niederreiter and De Haan (Larsson?) next year, and this isn't a team that will worried about the cap floor next season. And with their internal budget I don't see room for a completley pointless move like this.

Rolston is near done, Islanders don't spend money and will probably finish dead-last with or without him. Knowing all of this, why the hell would the Islanders claim Rolston? I would be shocked if the Islanders claimed him. If you just want to burn some money there will be far better players available by the deadline.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I think the last thing the Islanders need is to be locked into more wasted money.

They're still paying Yashin 4.7 million, Witt about a million this year and next, and owe one of the worst goalies in the league 4.5 for the next century or so. Adding Rolston, with the way he's played this year, would be like 6-7 million absolutley wasted next year. Not good business.

They have to re-sign Okposo, Grabner, Bailey, Schremp and Comeau as well. Add an actual moderate UFA (or re-sign Moulson and Martinek?) and the bonuses for Niederreiter and De Haan (Larsson?) next year, and this isn't a team that will worried about the cap floor next season. And with their internal budget I don't see room for a completley pointless move like this.

Rolston is near done, Islanders don't spend money and will probably finish dead-last with or without him. Knowing all of this, why the hell would the Islanders claim Rolston? I would be shocked if the Islanders claimed him. If you just want to burn some money there will be far better players available by the deadline.
are you seriously questioning the judgement of the Islanders? what brought this on?

why claim Rolston? well, this same team has:

- "granted" PA Parenteau the luxury of first line minutes, top PP minutes, having earned NOTHING, EVER.

- continues to audition waiver players in key roles, some of whom you've mentioned in your post.

- continues to cast-off players that have better success on other teams when surrounded by real NHL players (tambellini, bergenheim, nate thompson the three most recent)

Why would the Islanders claim Rolston? to get to the cap floor.

Rolston, as bad as he's been, would still be one of the better players on the Islanders, that's very sad.

In the end, it's a nothing move, whether they get him or not. I'd probably pass - but then again, I would not have spent the money they did (because they HAVE TO) on such a roster to begin with.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
are you seriously questioning the judgement of the Islanders? what brought this on?

why claim Rolston? well, this same team has:

- "granted" PA Parenteau the luxury of first line minutes, top PP minutes, having earned NOTHING, EVER.

- continues to audition waiver players in key roles, some of whom you've mentioned in your post.

- continues to cast-off players that have better success on other teams when surrounded by real NHL players (tambellini, bergenheim, nate thompson the three most recent)

Why would the Islanders claim Rolston? to get to the cap floor.

Rolston, as bad as he's been, would still be one of the better players on the Islanders, that's very sad.

In the end, it's a nothing move, whether they get him or not. I'd probably pass - but then again, I would not have spent the money they did (because they HAVE TO) on such a roster to begin with.

However, we've yet to see the Islanders take advantage of a team needing to shed salary in an attempt to improve themselves whether it be Chicago, Philly, Boston, or now NJ.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Black Tank

Rolston will not help the Isles - he is completely done. Anyone who has seen him play this year should know that he is not going to be a 20 goal scorer again. He is 37 at the end of a good but hard 21 year career and is signed through next year. What would the Isles do with a 38 year 15 point guy making 2.5mm?

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Rolston will not help the Isles - he is completely done. Anyone who has seen him play this year should know that he is not going to be a 20 goal scorer again. He is 37 at the end of a good but hard 21 year career and is signed through next year. What would the Isles do with a 38 year 15 point guy making 2.5mm?
He is a good PKer and still has his shot and is decent defensively. At the very least he is still a useful special teams player.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

would it make sense for buffalo to take him?

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Have a feeling Leafs will take him

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Interesting. Rolston wants to play somewhere it seems, if he'll waive the NTC to go to any team. The only problem is if he clears re-entry waivers and a trade is the only option, what team would trade for him and take on the full cap hit of 5M? Unless the Devils ship a sweetener along with Rolston to a team willing to take him, I don't see a trade being made. Either that or a team really needs scoring help and can afford to take on his contract, which I doubt. The Blues need help and they just lost Svatos to the Preds. Could they afford to take a swing at Rolston on re-entry? Again, I doubt it.

If Rolston is claimed, I'll go with my original thoughts that the Islanders will be the team to take him. If they don't, I don't see any team claiming him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Ah, makes sense, I was unaware of this. Thank you very much.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Gerard View Post
would it make sense for buffalo to take him?
Unless Rolston can play center and pot some goals, then no.

I don't think Darcy dares to touch that contract. If it expired this summer then maybe, but a cap hit of 2.5M next year is brutal.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
He is a good PKer and still has his shot and is decent defensively. At the very least he is still a useful special teams player.
I don't disagree with that but a 37-38 year old with that skill set is awfully expensive at 2.5mm. I'm just amazed that some fans expect past levels of offensive production from guys hitting their late 30s...

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Unless Rolston can play center and pot some goals, then no.

I don't think Darcy dares to touch that contract. If it expired this summer then maybe, but a cap hit of 2.5M next year is brutal.
Rolston at $2.5 is very fair if he puts up numbers like he did last season and the one before, each with 20 goals.

The whole team sucks this season and everyone was injured.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Vitto79

at 2.5 I think he's worth a shot even with one year left. Isles would make sense given the cap floor and a vet to help kids

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote