HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is it time for Leighton?

Old
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Timonen might be out as well. Considering Leighton relies heavily on the defense to be his rebound control, putting him in would probably be an instant loss.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd give him a shot. He can't do much worse than Bob or Boosh in their last two games.
If you mean lose, then I agree. If you mean give up as few goals, then I'll respectfully question how you come to that conclusion. Boucher kept the Flyers in the game for the entire first period, making save after save while the Flyers were spinning like it was table-top hockey. There was only the Kesler wrister that he could/should have stopped and even that was a quality shot.

I'd give Leighton a start for the sole reason that he is a part of the team, for better or worse, and he should get a chance to sink or swim now rather than at a more crucial moment in the season. Force his back, force his legs, force him to show that he is either 100% or unable to contribute to this team this year. There is no middle ground with him; he either plays well and earns a spot over Boucher or (heaven help us) Bob or he goes to Adirondack for the rest of the year. Period.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If you mean lose, then I agree. If you mean give up as few goals, then I'll respectfully question how you come to that conclusion. Boucher kept the Flyers in the game for the entire first period, making save after save while the Flyers were spinning like it was table-top hockey. There was only the Kesler wrister that he could/should have stopped and even that was a quality shot.

I'd give Leighton a start for the sole reason that he is a part of the team, for better or worse, and he should get a chance to sink or swim now rather than at a more crucial moment in the season. Force his back, force his legs, force him to show that he is either 100% or unable to contribute to this team this year. There is no middle ground with him; he either plays well and earns a spot over Boucher or (heaven help us) Bob or he goes to Adirondack for the rest of the year. Period.
The classic Flyer-fan "Leighton sucks" logic. Leighton plays well last season and only does so because of the great defense and deserves no credit. Boosh lets in four goals in a period and a half and it is all the rest of the team's fault.

The bottom line is that Boosh and Leighton are interchangeable. Neither of them are superstars. They are both bringing pretty much the same thing to the table. Bob has not played well in his last two outings, which doesn't really mean much, but if he continues to play poorly, send him down. If he is not playing well enough to be the starter, there is no point in trying to force it. Sending him down won't hurt him at all and if he isn't playing well, it won't hurt the team. Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar screen and Bob will get back to his early season form. But starting Leighton in an upcoming game isn't going to do any damage to this team. I know that if he wins the game he still sucks and shouldn't be given a chance even though he played well last year, but it won't hurt to start him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
The classic Flyer-fan "Leighton sucks" logic. Leighton plays well last season and only does so because of the great defense and deserves no credit. Boosh lets in four goals in a period and a half and it is all the rest of the team's fault.

The bottom line is that Boosh and Leighton are interchangeable. Neither of them are superstars. They are both bringing pretty much the same thing to the table. Bob has not played well in his last two outings, which doesn't really mean much, but if he continues to play poorly, send him down. If he is not playing well enough to be the starter, there is no point in trying to force it. Sending him down won't hurt him at all and if he isn't playing well, it won't hurt the team. Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar screen and Bob will get back to his early season form. But starting Leighton in an upcoming game isn't going to do any damage to this team. I know that if he wins the game he still sucks and shouldn't be given a chance even though he played well last year, but it won't hurt to start him.
The last update on Leighton is that he doesn't have full sensation in his foot... and he hasn't played a NHL game yet this season (outside of the preseason)... and you think it's odd that some would suspect that he would do worse than Boucher/Bob at the moment?

Boucher has been one of the best goalies in the NHL over the last month, and Bob is clearly the most gifted of the three... albeit young and inexperienced.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Leighton hasn't played an NHL game in months. He's coming off an injury. Our two best defenseman are out. Now is not the time to start Leighton, definitely not against Detroit.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The last update on Leighton is that he doesn't have full sensation in his foot... and he hasn't played a NHL game yet this season (outside of the preseason)... and you think it's odd that some would suspect that he would do worse than Boucher/Bob at the moment?

Boucher has been one of the best goalies in the NHL over the last month, and Bob is clearly the most gifted of the three... albeit young and inexperienced.
Really? I did not see that news.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Really? I did not see that news.
That was the word following his starts in the AHL. Now, they may have put something new out since then (but I haven't seen it). Leighton was saying he was fine, while admitting he was having some tingling/whatever in his foot (not shocking given back surgery). Clearly not enough to make him unable to play goal, but also no 100% back.

Old
12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Only if he brings Randy Jones back with him.
bart was bad enough last night id consider that

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

yeah I am sure Leighton would of led us to a 2-0 win with the way the Flyers played last night and without Pronger, and Timonen for much of the 3rd.
Yup, no doubt.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I didn't hear that about his foot. Obviously, if he is still injured I would not advocate starting him, but if he is healthy then let him play. I know everyone hates Michael Leighton but if he puts up the same numbers he did last year I would be more than happy.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
That was the word following his starts in the AHL. Now, they may have put something new out since then (but I haven't seen it). Leighton was saying he was fine, while admitting he was having some tingling/whatever in his foot (not shocking given back surgery). Clearly not enough to make him unable to play goal, but also no 100% back.
I am not sure Leighton understands the question doctors ask him. At least Bobrovsky has a good excuse. Leighton straight up lies about his physical condition.

Anyway, I did not know about his foot and at this point I do not give a ****.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
I didn't hear that about his foot. Obviously, if he is still injured I would not advocate starting him, but if he is healthy then let him play. I know everyone hates Michael Leighton but if he puts up the same numbers he did last year I would be more than happy.
All that is fine... but you're ignoring that Boucher has been playing extremely well of late (no reason Leighton should be given a spot start just because with Boucher putting up the numbers he's been putting up) and Bob has been solid all year outside of a few hiccups.

Leighton put up a .918 last year (which I don't think he will replicate anytime soon)

Bob has a .919 right now (and clearly is the goalie we need to be getting reps)

Boucher has posted a .916 this year, and is riding a .936 in December.

I'm sorry, a recovering Michael Leighton does not deserve to be handed a start over either of those guys right now. Will he get in a game eventually? Sure. However, it isn't some biased dislike of Leighton that leads to stating that he is quite likely to give us weaker goaltending than we've been getting.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Id go with Bob next game, as LA will be unfamiliar with him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Leighton had a 2.78 and .906 in 4 games in the AHL. That is worse than Boosh and Bob in the NHL. Granted, Adirondack is sort of terrible.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Leighton had a 2.78 and .906 in 4 games in the AHL. That is worse than Boosh and Bob in the NHL. Granted, Adirondack is sort of terrible.
This "hater" stuff that floats around whenever folks are critical of [fill in the blank] is just tiring. If you're on this site on a regular basis, you care a great deal about the team and want to see them succeed.

I don't like Leighton because I don't think this team will ultimately succeed with him between the pipes. That isn't his fault, and I don't "hate" him... I just don't particularly care if he ever dresses in a Flyer uniform again. If Boucher was struggling, and Bob wasn't clearly the goalie that we need to hope can carry us as we go forward... then it would be a different story. However, that's not the case. Of late Bob has thrown some clunkers out there, but has also been stellar as well (Montreal).

Old
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Which is expected of a rookie in his first NHL season coming from the KHL

Old
12-29-2010, 02:55 PM
FlyerEra2010

All joking aside, yeah, it's time.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
This "hater" stuff that floats around whenever folks are critical of [fill in the blank] is just tiring. If you're on this site on a regular basis, you care a great deal about the team and want to see them succeed.

I don't like Leighton because I don't think this team will ultimately succeed with him between the pipes.
Hey, not everyone can be as adept as Crosby when between a couple of pipes.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
All that is fine... but you're ignoring that Boucher has been playing extremely well of late (no reason Leighton should be given a spot start just because with Boucher putting up the numbers he's been putting up) and Bob has been solid all year outside of a few hiccups.

Leighton put up a .918 last year (which I don't think he will replicate anytime soon)

I'm sorry, a recovering Michael Leighton does not deserve to be handed a start over either of those guys right now. Will he get in a game eventually? Sure. However, it isn't some biased dislike of Leighton that leads to stating that he is quite likely to give us weaker goaltending than we've been getting.
I don't disagree and believe that that is all well and good if Homer is going to keep all three throughout the season... If he is to move Boucher, either to Phantoms or trade him, he has to know Leighton can be counted on if Bob goes down or goes deep south... If he is to move Leighton outside the organization, other GMs have to be reassured that he can play for them... Moving Leights to the A however is an option that frees more Cap, and doesn't require his playing another NHL game... That said, I don't believe Homer will merely demote Leighton; just a hunch.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
While the offense is not as good in the A, the defense is not either... and Leighton was rusty and more getting into shape than out there to win them games -- although I'm sure they tried -- But I'm all for Boosh and Bob in the Regular Season and have a well conditioned and well played Leighton as depth in the Postseason... We've seen recently where goaltending depth can come in handy in a long Postseason.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-29-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Garbage Goal

I remember people were getting on my case just because I said that Bobrovsky was playing average before.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

There's no harm that will be done if Leighton gets a start. Say he starts tomorrow against the Kings. Worst case scenario, he bombs and is pulled. It is a game against a Western Conference team so it isn't like sticking in a ? against Pitt. I know all games are worth two points, but a game against a Western team isn't the same as a game against a divisional or even conference opponent. Give Leighton a start, if healthy of course, and see how he does. If he sucks. Great, now we know he isn't ready and maybe send him down or just keep him on the bench. If he plays well and maybe Bob falters or Boosh goes on one of his patented 12 game tears where he can't stop a beach ball, ok work him in to some kind of rotation or something until someone emerges as the #1. But keeping him on the bench just because he is Michael Leighton and you heard a rumor that his foot was numb a week ago is silly. The guy played well last season and deserves a shot to at least be the backup for this team. Personally, I hope that Bob's last two outings are nothing more than a flash in the pan and he is the true starter, but with a young kid from the KHL, you can't be too careful.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'd rather start Leighton against a team like NJ or NYI than LA. He wasn't stealing games in the AHL (albeit on a garbage team...), I don't see him standing up to a decent one in his first game back. If he HAS to start, might as well throw him in against bad teams.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Ryker

On the other hand, if he really does turn out not to be at the NHL level, do we want him losing games against teams that we should've won against rather than teams that are level with us?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
I'd give him a shot. He can't do much worse than Bob or Boosh in their last two games.
Leighton's going to come in, go 16-5 and save our season again!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote