HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Process is almost complete: Why we need to go for it now

Old
12-29-2010, 02:02 PM
NewYorkStranger

vCash: 500
Unless we can fleece someone in a trade, I'm not interested. I like the core we are building. If a legit stud like Stamkos became available, sure I'm all in, but that's not going to happen.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

We need to stop using buyouts as a tool to remedy horrific signings.

And Jason Strudwick? Really?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That lineup still can't take Pittsburgh in a 7 game series, so, IF the Ranger can't avoid a 1st or 2nd round match up AND a lower seed doesn't upset them, the Rangers have no chance of being the Conference Champs. Parting with a 1st rounder, McDonagh and Anisimov for an ECF's appearance does not interest me in the least.
Hank vs Fleury is a big difference right now and the Rangers can beat the Pens in a 7 game series on goaltending alone

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:37 PM
gravytrain6t

Not saying I want to trade for him, or that I would and here's the following list of players I'd give up... But the one center (without a legitimate source except for pre game stuff) who most likely will be available is Kessel. On defense, Kaberle. Devils announcers Chico and Cangialosi claim the knock on Kessel is consistency issues (or a lack thereof) but more importantly is the claim that he wasn't liked by teammates in the locker room. If the Rangers were to trade for him, Toronto would likely have to take back some kind of combination of Frolov and Prospal/Fedotenko or Rozsival, etc...

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
We need to stop using buyouts as a tool to remedy horrific signings.

And Jason Strudwick? Really?
Stop? When did we start?

Other than compliance buyouts when the new CBA was introduced, we haven't bought anyone out that I can recall.

If we aren't going after Richards in the offseason, then there's no reason to buyout Drury. But if we are, we may need the extra cap space.

And unlike Redden, Drury's buyout would not be a big deal as he would only be on the books for 1 extra year at 1.67 mil.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Hank vs Fleury is a big difference right now and the Rangers can beat the Pens in a 7 game series on goaltending alone
It's not that big of a difference. When Fleury is on, he's a very good goalie. He's played well since his poor start to the season.

Crosby/Malkin vs Gaborik/Dubinsky is a much bigger advantage for the pens.

Old
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I'd say it's a coin toss. MAF's been the league's best since about Halloween IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:36 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If we aren't going after Richards in the offseason, then there's no reason to buyout Drury. But if we are, we may need the extra cap space.

And unlike Redden, Drury's buyout would not be a big deal as he would only be on the books for 1 extra year at 1.67 mil.
That's not entirely correct. Next year his buyout, as has been repeatedly demonstrated, will be :

CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667

That means to sign Richards, at his current salary, you will need approx 11.5 million cap dollars next year. So Richards and Drury will eat almost 20% of our salary cap next season.

Don't make me repeat all the other factors we'll have to deal with this coming offseason in terms of young guys getting bigger contracts, too.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:42 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
That's not entirely correct. Next year his buyout, as has been repeatedly demonstrated, will be :

That means to sign Richards, at his current salary, you will need approx 11.5 million cap dollars next year. So Richards and Drury will eat almost 20% of our salary cap next season.

Don't make me repeat all the other factors we'll have to deal with this coming offseason in terms of young guys getting bigger contracts, too.
Don't even get into it. The OP was one of the Kovalchuk guys this summer. The bolded point was explained over and over again this summer to no avail.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Don't even get into it. The OP was one of the Kovalchuk guys this summer. The bolded point was explained over and over again this summer to no avail.
It is truly a facepalm moment, groundhog day style.

Old
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
As said before, with Dallas in the position they are in, I doubt Richards is going anywhere.

However, if Carolina falls out of a playoff spot, perhaps they would consider trading Staal? To "go for it" now, the Rangers would likely have to trade for a relatively young #1C. And give up major assets in the process.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Lol. I know the numbers. I can use capgeek too. And I know all the other factors as well, so you needn't worry about repeating them.

I said that he would "be on the books for 1 extra year at 1.67 mil". That one extra year being the 2012-2013 season. Buying him out is not a big deal like it would be with Redden (who would be on the books for 6 more years rather than 3).

And I also said that IF we are going after Richards in the offseason, then we MAY need to buyout Drury to fit him in. I can't understand what you found in my post that was so disagreeable.

Old
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I can't understand what you found in my post that was so disagreeable.
Sorry it was just the numbers. I can't believe some people still play this game of pulling a superstar out of their a**es and expect a magic wand to dispel all issues.

Apologies if you felt I slighted you, personally. Not intended.

Old
12-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Kovalchuk was a lot younger..>Richards is older...i dont see him as being as good a fit as Kovalchuk was. (1 year does not a career make). Richards is goingto look for a long term deal, and i wouldnt feel comfortable giving him a deal that takes him beyond his 36th birthday.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

So, essentially, what you're saying is meaningless since Richards won't be signed at his current salary, not to mention that we don't need to buy Drury out to sign Richards when we can just wait one season till his contract ends.

Quote:
I'm just curious. How many of these young guys will average 40 goals per season for the duration of their career, like Kovalchuk has for the 7 years before the last 3 months?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:48 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
I'm just curious. How many of these young guys will average 40 goals per season for the duration of their career, like Kovalchuk has for the 7 years before the last 3 months?
None. But event though they won't score 40 goals, they'll compete. If Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, etc aren't scoring they're doing something else (competing, playing in their own end of the ice, you know, actually playing the game) as opposed to doing nothing. I'd rather have them than that locker room cancer with a contract that make Redden's, Drury's, and Gomez's look like great signings.

And I seriously doubt Kovalchuk touches 40 this year. If we had signed him this offseason and produced as he is producing now, how many people would be complaining now? He would be treated as the next contract in line to hamstring the franchise.

Old
12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Drury is on contract for one more year...we can wait one more. It would be dumb to buy him out at this point.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
None. But event though they won't score 40 goals, they'll compete. If Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, etc aren't scoring they're doing something else (competing, playing in their own end of the ice, you know, actually playing the game) as opposed to doing nothing. I'd rather have them than that locker room cancer with a contract that make Redden's, Drury's, and Gomez's look like great signings.
I'm glad you know what's going on in the Devils locker room. I'll gladly take his contract any day. It's a bargain. You don't acquire goal scorers to compete in their own end. If you have a good team, you can afford to have a couple of floaters if they score as much as Kovalchuk does. Unfortunately, Kovalchuk, through no fault of his own, has never been on a good team.

Quote:
And I seriously doubt Kovalchuk touches 40 this year. If we had signed him this offseason and produced as he is producing now, how many people would be complaining now? He would be treated as the next contract in line to hamstring the franchise.
I seriously doubt he touches 40 this year, but I certainly don't doubt that he'll touch 40 again, and not only once. That's why judging a player of his stature on 3 months in a situation with so many difficult circumstances is just silly and senseless.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'd be ok if we could even bring back a player like Nik Antropov for a 2nd rounder if we can't get Richards, although I don't think that makes us more than a divisional round team.
I don't want a big deal for Richards. Just go hard after him in the offseason..........I think they will use picks on a Lefty D man first since their are not many top C's available out there.

Like Montreal did for Wiz, tons of those Dmen will be available at the deadline

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm glad you know what's going on in the Devils locker room. I'll gladly take his contract any day. It's a bargain. You don't acquire goal scorers to compete in their own end. If you have a good team, you can afford to have a couple of floaters if they score as much as Kovalchuk does. Unfortunately, Kovalchuk, through no fault of his own, has never been on a good team.

I seriously doubt he touches 40 this year, but I certainly don't doubt that he'll touch 40 again, and not only once. That's why judging a player of his stature on 3 months in a situation with so many difficult circumstances is just silly and senseless.
I don't know if Kovalchuk ever gets to 40 again, although he probably will. All I was saying is that even if Dubinsky, Callahan, and Anisimov aren't scoring at least they're doing something. They're earning their contract. If Kovalchuk isn't scoring goals, he's not earning his contract, and right now he isn't.

My apologies about not being clear on the whole cancer thing. I meant it more in the sense that he is a team cancer, whether or not he is a malcontent (which I have no idea). Look at the Devils success the last several years. They haven't dished out huge contracts. It's been about a team game for them, no player comes before the team. I'm not surprised that the one year they venture away from that philosophy, it completely backfires on them.

Agree to disagree about the contract/Kovalchuk. I don't want to turn this into a Kovalchuk thread, but I'd take Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov (as a group) over Kovalchuk 10/10 times. Especially considering how well they've played this year.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:25 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
So, essentially, what you're saying is meaningless since Richards won't be signed at his current salary, not to mention that we don't need to buy Drury out to sign Richards when we can just wait one season till his contract ends.
You're just so romantic/idealistic about Brad.

Yeah, he's having a career year. He'll take a huuuuuge pay cut, I'm sure.

If his cap hit is reduced, it's only a factor of a retarded-long contract which is another massive problem for this team in and of itself.

We have #1 and #2 centers coming up this year. No need to roadblock them with a thirty-something on a long term deal.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
RagsToRichards

I think the Rangers are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of mediocrity.. The talent is there we're missing one little piece.. We have some really good prospects, and should they live to hype + IF (and I stress the word "IF") we get Richards, we can have a very interesting year and maybe even an amazing cup run..

We shouldn't be so comfy that Richards is coming to the Rangers for sure.. Obviously there are 29 other teams in the NHL that would want a guy like him on the team..

RagsToRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I don't know if Kovalchuk ever gets to 40 again, although he probably will. All I was saying is that even if Dubinsky, Callahan, and Anisimov aren't scoring at least they're doing something. They're earning their contract. If Kovalchuk isn't scoring goals, he's not earning his contract, and right now he isn't.

My apologies about not being clear on the whole cancer thing. I meant it more in the sense that he is a team cancer, whether or not he is a malcontent (which I have no idea). Look at the Devils success the last several years. They haven't dished out huge contracts. It's been about a team game for them, no player comes before the team. I'm not surprised that the one year they venture away from that philosophy, it completely backfires on them.
Agree to disagree about the contract/Kovalchuk. I don't want to turn this into a Kovalchuk thread, but I'd take Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov (as a group) over Kovalchuk 10/10 times. Especially considering how well they've played this year.
The Kovalchuk thing is an entire argument on its own, but the bolded part is nothing more than revisionist history just to try to prove your point that Kovalchuk is the Devil's main problem.

The writing has slowly gathered on the wall in regards to the Devils since the lockout. Lamoriello has made some seriously bad decisions the last few years. Chief among them being not paying much attention to the blueline, the lifeblood of the teams championship years. But he actually has handed out bad contracts long before Kovalchuk - not to mention NTC's like theyre candy.

Was Kovalchuk's contract bad? No - not in a vacuum. But bad decisions have been mounting for years over in New Jersey, and the Kovalchuk deal certainly didnt help their situation - a situation that revolves around an aging team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Drury is more overpaid than anyone across the river, over river, in the river. I can hedge my feelings about him being useless but I cant even budge from the fact that he is the most overpaid player in the league. There ARE worse contracts like Lecavalier because of their length but just dollars vs. performance and Drury is the most overpaid.
redden?

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You're just so romantic/idealistic about Brad.

Yeah, he's having a career year. He'll take a huuuuuge pay cut, I'm sure.

If his cap hit is reduced, it's only a factor of a retarded-long contract which is another massive problem for this team in and of itself.

We have #1 and #2 centers coming up this year. No need to roadblock them with a thirty-something on a long term deal.
I like Derek Stepan, hes going to be a really good player for this team for years to come.

But I cant understand how people can so easily label him a legitimate #1 center. Is it because its been so long since we actually had one?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote