HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto to Connecticut?

Old
12-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
I think the years of horror have gotten to you all. MDZ is just fine. Going through his 2nd NHL season as a 20 year old as a Dman. Hes supposed to have a bad/learning season. Its part of the learning curve not the short cut to learning. No ahl, just let him be.
I don't see why a couple of games in Hartford can't be part of the learning experience for a very young player. It's a better option than not playing at all when you've got confidence and execution problems you need to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
exactly what has gilroy done to deserve this?
What has he done to deserved getting pulled out?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think it could hurt. It could have the same affect it did on Callahan when they sent him down earlier in his career.
Exactly. He's still young and it's just part of the process. Lots of players go down for a stint.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
This isn't about Gilroy V. Del Zotto. It's about developing Del Zotto into a top tier player. They're two completely different players, in completely different stages of their lives. The only similarities are that they both play defense and they're both in their 2nd seasons.

It's about getting the most out of both players. It won't benefit us to send Gilroy down to Hartford, because he's probably not going to be with the franchise long term. For Del Zotto, playing some AHL games could help him develop. He's here for the long haul. It's not like he won't be back sooner than later.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What has he done to deserved getting pulled out?
He's played poor defensively and is a liability....

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
He's played poor defensively and is a liability....
He's scored 3 points and is a +4 in the 2 games since his return from a 2 week benching. That's what Torts asked of him and he delivered.

Sadly, the words "poor defensively" and "liability" conjure up images of Del Zotto alone right now. His performance in Philly was absolutely shocking and substantially worse than anything I've seen out of Gilroy this entire season despite the fact that Matt's playing out of position.

Old
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I really hope it doesn't shatter his confidence thus making him a bust. That would be a total letdown. He had so much promise last season. Now? Not so much.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

By the numbers, Rozy is gonna have to up his mistakes drastically to be able to challenge Del Zotto.

MDZ is 2-7-9 in 34 games with an even

Rozy is 2-12-14 in 28 games with a +3.

Right now, Rozy is the vastly superior defenseman.
dont have a real opinion either way about sending him down, dz has not shrunk from criticism, last year when he was laced into on the bench by tort(against pitt i think) he took it in stride and the quote msg put on against isles about getting what you earn on the team proves that but you really putting up a +/- number is hysterical, rozy has played better only because dz has played, at times, totally lost. rozy has had some terrible giveaways last couple games. he had a good start and i still believe hes done better,but vastly better...

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
He's scored 3 points and is a +4 in the 2 games since his return from a 2 week benching. That's what Torts asked of him and he delivered.

Sadly, the words "poor defensively" and "liability" conjure up images of Del Zotto alone right now. His performance in Philly was absolutely shocking and substantially worse than anything I've seen out of Gilroy this entire season despite the fact that Matt's playing out of position.
I didn't say offensively. He's been out of position, chipping in when he shouldn't - which creates odd man rushes for the other team if he loses the puck, and is quite ineffective along the boards and in the crease.

Aside from that, he's also playing on the 3rd defensive pairing, which means he's going up against worse opposing lines and also means he's playing less time, meaning he has less of a chance to make a mistake. Del Zotto, on the other hand, was playing on the 2nd line.

I'm not saying Del Zotto shouldn't have been benched. But i don't understand how people can criticize Del Zotto for being poor defensively and then go out and say Gilroy is doing a better job... he isn't. He's caught 2 lucky breaks and it seems like 80% of the fan base is jumping on the "Gilroy has finally developed" bandwagon.

Old
12-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
I really hope it doesn't shatter his confidence thus making him a bust. That would be a total letdown. He had so much promise last season. Now? Not so much.
If any young player (not just Del Zotto) can't handle a little bump in the road, then they will never have a long professional career. Getting sent to the AHL for a few to work on improving their game is not the end of the world. Del Zotto has shown very little of the potential he brought to his first NHL season and benching him for any length of time will not help. If he's not back in the lineup soon--and showing significant improvement when he does dress--he needs to be somewhere where he can play lots of minutes in a game situation. That's the only way he's going to imrove. And he needs to improve his play a lot.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'm not saying Del Zotto shouldn't have been benched. But i don't understand how people can criticize Del Zotto for being poor defensively and then go out and say Gilroy is doing a better job... he isn't.
Generally speaking, he is, but I concede that Del Zotto is typically out against better opponents and for more time on ice.

Like RangerFan10 said, it's not about Gilroy vs. DZ. To say that Gilroy has risen to the challenges that Torts has thrown at him isn't the same as saying he's better than Del Zotto because of it. It's just a matter of doing whatever you've got to do to help Del Zotto get back to being the player he was last season.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Wrong thread.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Generally speaking, he is, but I concede that Del Zotto is typically out against better opponents and for more time on ice.

Like RangerFan10 said, it's not about Gilroy vs. DZ. To say that Gilroy has risen to the challenges that Torts has thrown at him isn't the same as saying he's better than Del Zotto because of it. It's just a matter of doing whatever you've got to do to help Del Zotto get back to being the player he was last season.
Well said.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:

You bring up valid and correct points, however, if the main goal is to win more games, then a coach must put the best available player on the ice. Del Zotto has indeed hit a rough stretch. But wouldn't it have been better if we just moved Del Zotto to the 3rd defensive pairing instead of benching him in place of Gilroy? It seems to me he would have gotten more confidence by playing against worse players while also simultaneously playing with a higher intensity and energy due to the fact that he'd be playing significantly less in each game and thus would be fresher.

I don't know. Maybe the layoff will do him so good. As I said, it will be better for him to get out his problems now and have a strong second half. My problem was having people say that Gilroy was better than Del Zotto.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:16 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

all for this. get him some games, get his confidence up. or if he struggles, let him work his issues out and come back up strong like when... i forget which player was sent down 2 seasons ago. wanna say Callahan. maybe that was 3 years ago? I think we are winning games without him so we have the luxury of putting his development as a higher priority. Getting him to reach his potential is the best thing we can do for the team.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:23 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
all for this. get him some games, get his confidence up. or if he struggles, let him work his issues out and come back up strong like when... i forget which player was sent down 2 seasons ago. wanna say Callahan. maybe that was 3 years ago? I think we are winning games without him so we have the luxury of putting his development as a higher priority. Getting him to reach his potential is the best thing we can do for the team.
It was Ryan Callahan in 2007-2008 (looked it up on hockeydb).

Fortunately, he had the right attitude and worked on his game (7 goals and 8 assists in 11 games).

Hopefully, if Del Zotto gets sent down he'll have the same attitude as Ryan. Some guys just sulk.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I guess nobody gave Gilroy the memo on how to properly slide and block passes.

His defense is poor. He should have never left his player to slide for that puck. Aside from that he seemed pretty lost with his positioning on the ice throughout the game.

Call up Del Zotto. Let him play Gilroy's minutes.