HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators claim Svatos

Old
12-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
I like this, I know he has the skill. Hopefully he ill mesh with us.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Milly79

Good move for the Preds. I just hope that Svatos isn't tied completely down by Trotz and is able to generate more offense.

And I honestly doubt the Blues will do anything.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Had to do something.

Two questions:
Is Poile responding to the overall lack of offense or does this mean Sullivan/Erat/Legwand are at this point unreliable returns and Svatos is plugging that gap?

I wonder how Svatos feels about ending up in Nashville?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Jonesey
ba-na-naaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
My guess is that STL will sign Weber only to make Nashville pay more for him than they normally would. Svatos is no big deal but St. Louis won't let it slide with no response. Their history proves that.
Then again, if they do overpay, that's alot of draft picks coming this way, which poile may be hard pressed to pass up.

Who knows... I do expect Weber to be locked up before hitting RFA status anyways.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I doubt a GM would hold a grudge at gentlemanly Poile. Even with the Blues being a rival within the division, I can easily see this being blown over.

12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Jarnberg

Jeez, you know you are desperate when you are stealing Svatos; I don't see him fitting in here at all.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Had to do something.

Two questions:
Is Poile responding to the overall lack of offense or does this mean Sullivan/Erat/Legwand are at this point unreliable returns and Svatos is plugging that gap?

I wonder how Svatos feels about ending up in Nashville?
1) Legwand was practicing again with the team today. He is the closest to returning. Erat was skating on a separate rink today and is said to be close, but until he rejoins the team for practice, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Poile said today that Legwand and Sullivan have groin injuries. Sullivan is out 10-14 days right now and they'll re-evaluate him after that. Wilson missed significant time at the start of last year with a groin injury and Legwand just missed 6 weeks. Sullivan's timetable is unknown and Poile admitted that.

Poile made the move to inject offensive skill into our lineup. He said Svatos has a history of finishing and that it is especially clear after last night's performance that we aren't too deep in that area right now or even at the beginning of the season. Poile quoted the 5 goals in 5 games as a direct motivating factor in this move...

2) He's back in the NHL at a decent salary. He will be given a shot at playing top-six minutes and he is a free agent at season's end. He's getting a chance and has motivation to play well if he wants to draw an offer as a UFA this summer. Last summer all he got were minimum contracts and tryout offers, let's hope he takes advantage of this opportunity and earns something better!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
Then again, if they do overpay, that's alot of draft picks coming this way, which poile may be hard pressed to pass up.

Who knows... I do expect Weber to be locked up before hitting RFA status anyways.
But with Weber, Johnson, Pietranglo, etc on the backend, plus Halak and their forwards you'd think the picks would be in the low 20s at the highest.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 01:49 PM
jlsg

We seem to be doing well with "project" players this year as in SK and O'Brien. Hopefully Svatos can continue that success.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Win/Win! Good player/Screws Blues!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Goc is one of those good "project players" to.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
bede

it feels strange that Preds took Svatos... anyway, i hope he do well in Preds!

bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
ChicagoBlues

Yeah...it stings a little, but I'm a Preds fan too, so no biggie. Quite a few of us Blues fans also like Nashville. You guys needed help just like we did, so no big deal.

May the best team win!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

CALLED IT! SO ******* CALLED IT!

Not a surprise in the slightest. We needed guys who can score, and Svatos knows how to score. I'm also not particularly surprised that he came back after getting jumped in that game against Chekhov.

My only concern is that this could mean a serious injury for Sullivan or Erat, which cripples our offense even with the addition of Svatos.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Good move for the Preds. I just hope that Svatos isn't tied completely down by Trotz and is able to generate more offense.

And I honestly doubt the Blues will do anything.
keep thinking that ... it's already been proven that Armstrong doesn't like to be ****ed with ... Kesler OS

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
keep thinking that ... it's already been proven that Armstrong doesn't like to be ****ed with ... Kesler OS
That was Pleau, not Armstrong, and Bernier, not Kesler.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
you're right ... damn work interfering with hockey talk

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

And the steal!

The team really needed some offensive depth with so many nagging injuries. Great low risk move. I watched him play with the av's, didn't have that game-changing mentality but should be a good scoring depth guy for us. Welcome Marek!

This deserves a youtube moment.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShot View Post
Congrats Svatos is a good addition for you guys, but If I remember correctly Doug Armstrong (Our GM for the Blues) is a guy to hold grudges and with Weber and O'Reilly RFAs this summer I see slightly overpriced offer sheets coming their way.
Yes, I'm sure I've heard Weber say that the one city he would leave Nashville for is St. Louis. In fact, he's probably looking at houses across the river over in East St. Louis to be close to the ice and the tremendous property bargains. He's not worried about the gunfire since he has a howitzer. I'm sure he'll sign an offer sheet quickly with the Blues. (j/k on the gunfire across the river. St. Louis itself is an ok town.)

Weber isn't going to sign an offer sheet with division rival St. Louis. So it doesn't matter how much they offer unless they want to way, way overpay to make him really listen. And if so, fine.

Now, they could hurt us with some of the low wage guys, such as Kostitsyn. Even if they didn't want him, I'm sure at this point Nashville sure would. So an offer sheet could make us overpay. O'Reilly as well, but if they want to over pay for him, oh well.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 12-29-2010 at 04:03 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Milly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Say again?

Just messing with ya.

And I don't see the problem with this. Yes, we stole it from a division rival, but STL knew well and good that it may happen, and it did. Kudos to Poile for snatching him up.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Correct. GM Gillis tried to snipe Backes, so Pleau tried to snipe Bernier.

I think that's the way it went.

It was a beautiful piece of business brinkmanship.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
CALLED IT! SO ******* CALLED IT!

Not a surprise in the slightest. We needed guys who can score, and Svatos knows how to score. I'm also not particularly surprised that he came back after getting jumped in that game against Chekhov.

My only concern is that this could mean a serious injury for Sullivan or Erat, which cripples our offense even with the addition of Svatos.
Speaking as the only person on earth with a Svatos jersey (other than Marek), I can tell you that he KNEW how to score. A lot of his stick handling seemed to have disappeared toward his tenure with the Avs, which took away his ability to use his speed breaking into the offensive zone. I don't know much about Nashville's play style, but if you have a guy who can make plays and slow the game down, hopefully he can simulate some of the chemistry he had with Pierre Turgeon. Really, really hope he does well with you guys, Svats is still one of my favorite players in the league.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
Speaking as the only person on earth with a Svatos jersey (other than Marek), I can tell you that he KNEW how to score. A lot of his stick handling seemed to have disappeared toward his tenure with the Avs, which took away his ability to use his speed breaking into the offensive zone. I don't know much about Nashville's play style, but if you have a guy who can make plays and slow the game down, hopefully he can simulate some of the chemistry he had with Pierre Turgeon. Really, really hope he does well with you guys, Svats is still one of my favorite players in the league.
You mean like with Cal O'Reilly and maybe Patric Hornqvist?

I think that line would workout nicely with Svatos shooting, O'Reilly setting him up, and Hornqvist doing his magic with tips, screens, and any available rebounds that are left laying around...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
slow the game down
We have Ward and Franson...

Oh, you mean in a the game can seem slow to them sort of way, not literally play slowly.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
You mean like with Cal O'Reilly and maybe Patric Hornqvist?

I think that line would workout nicely with Svatos shooting, O'Reilly setting him up, and Hornqvist doing his magic with tips, screens, and any available rebounds that are left laying around...
As much as I would like to see that, I have a feeling Trotz is going to pull a fast one and have him on the 3rd/4th line to climitize back into the nhl. I just hope he doesn't stay there too long.

Svatos - Oreilly - Horns
Wilson - Goc - Kostitsyn

getr done

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote