HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Girlfriends or Boyfriends

Old
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
My ex was a Yankees "fan", but she enjoyed the Phillies games I took her too. She rooted for New York everything, but was more interested in broadway shows then watching sports.

For girls who don't care about sports, it's cool if they will go to the games and stuff with you, but I don't care if my gf can talk sports or not. In fact, it would be nice to keep football or hockey as guy-time or alone-time, so I am not really worried about "converting" girlfriends or whatever.

In fact, if I was dating a chick who was a hardcore Rags fan, it probably wouldnt bother me at all. It would be cool if she was passionate about a team and refused to convert. The idea of converting to another team doesnt sit well with me. I like fans who pick a team and stay there through the thick and thin of it. That's what makes the Phillies of the past 3 years so exciting to me. I was in the Vet when I was a kid and the seats were dirt cheap because the Braves owned the division. Now we have an awesome squad and it feels great.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
It's weird that Crosby is that important to anyone other than Sidney Crosby, that he would have an effect on what you find sexually attractive. When I'm looking at girls Sidney Crosby is about the last thing on my mind.

Just sayin'
I went out with a girl for the first time to the Flyers-Pens game on the 14th. Some woman walked past us from a few rows back and was wearing a powder blue Crosby jersey. I looked at the girl I was with and said "See, that woman just told me everything I need to know about her."

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
PhillyFlying

my girlfriend was apathetic about sports when we started dating but i've since converted her to a phillies, flyers, and (slowly but surely) eagles fan. i've taken her to a few games and she's enjoyed herself. but has she trouble commiserating after devastating losses and has plenty of fun at my expense during nail-biting games. i'm sure if we ever break up, a video of myself watching the flyers-rangers ot/shootout from last april will end up on the internet and go viral.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
my girlfriend was apathetic about sports when we started dating but i've since converted her to a phillies, flyers, and (slowly but surely) eagles fan. i've taken her to a few games and she's enjoyed herself. but has she trouble commiserating after devastating losses and has plenty of fun at my expense during nail-biting games. i'm sure if we ever break up, a video of myself watching the flyers-rangers ot/shootout from last april will end up on the internet and go viral.
I'm pretty sure if video were taken of all of us during that shootout, it would be high comedy. I'm sure several cardiologists would have loved to monitor the fanbase for research.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 09:59 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
I was on my girlfriend's sister's laptop watching the game at her school. I fell off the bed when Carle scored and then did a bit of a jig when we won the shootout. Embarrassing.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
My girlfriend is a Flyers fan now, but she was not an avid Bruins fan prior. My roommates in college, however, have become Flyers fans easily. My freshman roommate (from Connecticut), my sophomore roommate (from Norway), and 2 other college friends (one from Colorado and one from NH) have converted to Flyers fans.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 10:16 PM
decadentia

Multiple ex-girlfriends converted...current one, not as easy. Not a big sports fan whatsoever. She likes going to live games though, took her to a QMJHL Sea Dogs game. But as for TV, doubtful. Like someone else said, not a huge deal for me really. Kind of my time/guy time.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:22 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

hows this, toronto to philly, hard! scores and games checked, even when i'm not around!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I went out with a girl for the first time to the Flyers-Pens game on the 14th. Some woman walked past us from a few rows back and was wearing a powder blue Crosby jersey. I looked at the girl I was with and said "See, that woman just told me everything I need to know about her."
Congrats on your first date with a girl.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
My girl is a Cardinals fan and WAS... GET READY... A PENS FAN.

She now "supports" the Phillies and has completely dropped the Pens for the Flyers.

**** yeah.
That's some serious **** power.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 09:14 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
It's weird that Crosby is that important to anyone other than Sidney Crosby, that he would have an effect on what you find sexually attractive. When I'm looking at girls Sidney Crosby is about the last thing on my mind.

Just sayin'
Well, the keyword was "part." Hockey was just the biggest thing we had in common. But it was kind of cute when we both said "**** you, Cindy" simultaneously during the 08 playoffs. And the celebration when the Red Wings won was even better. I'll always be a Flyers fan first and foremost, but I definitely have a soft-spot for the Wings now.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
The girl Im talking to loves the Flyers, thats always a good thing

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 11:56 AM
PhillyCurt12

coming form centra-PA (aka pennsyltucky), my gf was a bears fan before i met her. at home, she only gets pitt and wash sporting events. she's a steelers fan, so she likely would have been either a pens fan (cuz of steelers) or caps fan (cuz of bears) had i not swooped in before she coul be corrupted. she's a pretty big flyers fan now and has a crush on richards... she said she would leave me for him if given the chance and i told her i'd love her more if she did that. she also likes parise though, thankfully not the devils as a whole.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Flyskippy

My wife was a Flyers season ticket holder before we met. Her mom was an STH from 1967 until 1996 or so. They started buying tickets for the two of them in 2005.

The discussion of dating opposing teams' fans reminded me of this fantastic Bruins' commercial:

Last edited by Flyskippy: 12-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Well, the keyword was "part." Hockey was just the biggest thing we had in common. But it was kind of cute when we both said "**** you, Cindy" simultaneously during the 08 playoffs. And the celebration when the Red Wings won was even better. I'll always be a Flyers fan first and foremost, but I definitely have a soft-spot for the Wings now.
Funny, I hate the Wings after watching Lindros and the Flyers lose in 97, but I have had a soft spot for the Blackhawks the past few years and after what they did to us in the finals, I still like them.

Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabrook and company are just too much fun to watch.

Also like the Kings with Kopitar and Doughty.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:03 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Funny, I hate the Wings after watching Lindros and the Flyers lose in 97, but I have had a soft spot for the Blackhawks the past few years and after what they did to us in the finals, I still like them.

Kane is a complete tool and ruins a lot of the feel good vibe I have for Chicago, but I still love Sharp and think Hossa (despite his team jumping) is a pretty good guy.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
had a gf whose family was all Habs fans, Dad & 2 brothers (not the annoying/arrogant type though). She liked to watch hockey, was pretty knowledgeable and actually played up until her teenage years, but didn't really have a fav team. We started dating when the Flyers were in the playoffs in 2009, the year they lost in the first round to the Pens. She knew that I wanted to watch the games (I could careless about missing a regular season game, but playoffs are a different story) and she was cool with that, and to my surprise she wanted to watch them with me. The good thing was she wasnt the annoying type that always talks through the game. I wasnt really trying to turn her into a Flyers fan, but I could tell she was starting to like them, but I wasnt sure if she was just doing that to be on my side or not.

We ended up breaking up a few months later, but we still remained friends. During this past season's playoff run, I was talking to her before the SCF began and she mentioned how she was rooting for them when they faced the Habs and that she hopes they win the Cup after what they were able to accomplish in the Bruins series. I laughed and joked that it seemed like she had been following them during their run and sounds like a closet fan. She just laughed and said that she caught the odd came. At least I had some sort of lasting impression on her!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
had a gf whose family was all Habs fans, Dad & 2 brothers (not the annoying/arrogant type though). She liked to watch hockey, was pretty knowledgeable and actually played up until her teenage years, but didn't really have a fav team. We started dating when the Flyers were in the playoffs in 2009, the year they lost in the first round to the Pens. She knew that I wanted to watch the games (I could careless about missing a regular season game, but playoffs are a different story) and she was cool with that, and to my surprise she wanted to watch them with me. The good thing was she wasnt the annoying type that always talks through the game. I wasnt really trying to turn her into a Flyers fan, but I could tell she was starting to like them, but I wasnt sure if she was just doing that to be on my side or not.

We ended up breaking up a few months later, but we still remained friends. During this past season's playoff run, I was talking to her before the SCF began and she mentioned how she was rooting for them when they faced the Habs and that she hopes they win the Cup after what they were able to accomplish in the Bruins series. I laughed and joked that it seemed like she had been following them during their run and sounds like a closet fan. She just laughed and said that she caught the odd came. At least I had some sort of lasting impression on her!
If that is the girl in your avatar then hopefully you left a few other lasting impressions on her as well.

Old
12-28-2010, 03:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If that is the girl in your avatar then hopefully you left a few other lasting impressions on her as well.
hahah, that's Kristen Bell

But, I did leave a few other lasting impressions on her and the other way around. Older girls....thats all I have to say

Old
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Yeah, I have a few teams out west that I like a lot. I've followed the Avs since Patrick Roy got there and I keep tabs on the Ducks too. Guess I can add the Red Wings to the list. Everyone in the east can burn in hell though.

Quote:
hahah, that's Kristen Bell

But, I did leave a few other lasting impressions on her and the other way around. Older girls....thats all I have to say
I used to work in a nursing home; needless to say, all the girls I date now are at least 2 years younger than me.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:50 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
I used to work in a nursing home; needless to say, all the girls I date now are at least 2 years younger than me.
So you are saying that you had a drunken tryst with a 70 year old widow and now the thought of dating anyone even remotely older reminds you of the taste of her denture cream?

Seriously though, I can see where you are coming from. Men age WAAAAAAY better than women, that is why I continually tell my current girlfriend (who is one year older) that she needs to commit to a plastic surgery lifestyle if she wants to stay together long term. I don't want to be George Clooney married to Bea Arthur.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
So you are saying that you had a drunken tryst with a 70 year old widow and now the thought of dating anyone even remotely older reminds you of the taste of her denture cream?

Seriously though, I can see where you are coming from. Men age WAAAAAAY better than women, that is why I continually tell my current girlfriend (who is one year older) that she needs to commit to a plastic surgery lifestyle if she wants to stay together long term. I don't want to be George Clooney married to Bea Arthur.
You don't need a tryst to be made to feel like a fetus by old folks. If I'm in a relationship, I'd like to at least feel my own age

Old
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Yeah, I have a few teams out west that I like a lot. I've followed the Avs since Patrick Roy got there and I keep tabs on the Ducks too. Guess I can add the Red Wings to the list. Everyone in the east can burn in hell though.

well, I guess saying "older" put it a little too far. she was 26, I was 22

Old
12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Flyerfan808

No conversions on my part. Probably has something to do with me being a bad missionary and the fact that most of the natives here have ever seen snow, much less ice skated, or even remotely care about hockey. I have tried to convert a few, but found the task too frustrating to watch the games and try to explain to someone who doesn't even have an elementary concept of the game. With the reffing in today's NHL makes it even harder.

Younger / Older: When I was early 20's always went for girls 2 years younger, now I'm starting to prefer women who are at least my age or a little older.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
well, I guess saying "older" put it a little too far. she was 26, I was 22
Yeah, I was mostly being facetious. But 4 years still kind of intimidates me. Guess I'm just old-fashioned.