HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators claim Svatos

Old
12-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
As much as I would like to see that, I have a feeling Trotz is going to pull a fast one and have him on the 3rd/4th line to climitize back into the nhl. I just hope he doesn't stay there too long.

Svatos - Oreilly - Horns
Wilson - Goc - Kostitsyn

getr done
As long as Svatos is able to practice with the team tomorrow, I think we'll see him in the top-six. Poile consulted with Trotz last night and again this morning before making the claim around 10:30 AM CST.

You don't claim Svatos and add $440k to the payroll to not play him on a scoring line. Poile in fact mentioned the 5 goals in 5 games as a reason he was claimed...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:57 PM
markie8002000

Did you guys see what Eklund is saying the Preds have a serious interest in a top 6 forward and names he heard are Tim Connolly and Andrew Brunette. I doubt any of that is true at all and Preds wouldn't have interest in them.What are your thoughts on them.

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Did you guys see what Eklund is saying the Preds have a serious interest in a top 6 forward and names he heard are Tim Connolly and Andrew Brunette. I doubt any of that is true at all and Preds wouldn't have interest in them.What are your thoughts on them.
I ignore his site altogether ... he gets no $ from me clicking on his website

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:51 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Great pick up, before I went to bed last night was watching the NHL network and during NHL Live Poile was on. Great to hear him talk about the team and also about claiming Svatos.

Sucks for the Blues since they just signed him however, what's the point of that rule anyways?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

to keep clubs from making handshake agreements and letting guys stay in shape oveseas with a lighter schedule and then pop up in february all fresh giving the club an advantage over the other 29

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
to keep clubs from making handshake agreements and letting guys stay in shape oveseas with a lighter schedule and then pop up in february all fresh giving the club an advantage over the other 29
Gotcha, thanks.

And to Blues fans crying foul come on. You guys have done the same thing in the past.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
Big no on Connolly. He's made of glass, and that's the last thing we need (Svatos isn't the most durable guy either, but we got him for nothing). I'd be willing to take a flyer on Brunette, though.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Gotcha, thanks.

And to Blues fans crying foul come on. You guys have done the same thing in the past.
Yeah...some of the people over at our board were whining about it, but I really don't care that much. Most of us are smart enough to know that it is just a business move and that Nashville needs help.

Time will come when some team signs a free agent and the Blues snipe him from waivers.

Trust me, most of us are not that mad about it. I hope he does well for guys.

Cheers.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:25 PM
dulzhok

Svatos looks awfully enticing right now.

Last edited by dulzhok: 12-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Svatos looks awfully enticing right now.
My god, we left Gnash on the roof for too long.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:36 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluShot View Post
Oh I am not saying that you won't match Weber, but we will make u pay more than you want to. Back in 2007?? Vancouver signed Backes to an offer sheet and the Blues immediately matched and sent and ever larger offer sheet to Kesler just to send a message. I'm just saying expect some kind of retaliation.
If you're going to come over and troll another team's board, at least be accurate. To get back at Vancouver, the Blues signed Steve Bernier to an offer sheet, not Kessler.

Also, I highly doubt that the Blues will respond with an offer sheet to any Nashville RFA simply because they took Svatos from waivers. 1. plucking a guy from waivers isn't even close to the same thing as signing a guy to an offer sheet and 2. the Blues aren't going to want to start some sort of offer sheet war with Nashville - Oshie, Berglund, Sobotka, Polak and a few other minor players are all RFAs this summer and EJ and Perron are RFAs the summer after that. I trust that the Blues have enough foresight to not do something that stupid...especially over Marek Svatos.

Besides, the Blues did the same think to the Coyotes 5 years ago. Vladimir Orszagh (a player Nash fans should be familiar with) started the season in the SEL but then signed with Phoenix halfway through the season. The Blues plucked him from waivers just like Nashville plucked Svatos today. It was a very low risk signing by the Blues, especially with it being a two-way deal...but that made it low risk and thus enticing for other teams as well. Svatos had the potential to be a decent stop-gap option for the Blues but oh well.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:41 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
If you're going to come over and troll another team's board, at least be accurate. To get back at Vancouver, the Blues signed Steve Bernier to an offer sheet, not Kessler.

Also, I highly doubt that the Blues will respond with an offer sheet to any Nashville RFA simply because they took Svatos from waivers. 1. plucking a guy from waivers isn't even close to the same thing as signing a guy to an offer sheet and 2. the Blues aren't going to want to start some sort of offer sheet war with Nashville - Oshie, Berglund, Sobotka, Polak and a few other minor players are all RFAs this summer and EJ and Perron are RFAs the summer after that. I trust that the Blues have enough foresight to not do something that stupid...especially over Marek Svatos.

Besides, the Blues did the same think to the Coyotes 5 years ago. Vladimir Orszagh (a player Nash fans should be familiar with) started the season in the SEL but then signed with Phoenix halfway through the season. The Blues plucked him from waivers just like Nashville plucked Svatos today. It was a very low risk signing by the Blues, especially with it being a two-way deal...but that made it low risk and thus enticing for other teams as well. Svatos had the potential to be a decent stop-gap option for the Blues but oh well.
It has mad me laugh reading the boards seeing Blues fan saying that STL will go to war with us over Marek freaking Svatos!

It's not as if the Preds did this just to spite the blues. Our forward corps is decimated and needs immediate help. Personally I don't think Svatos is really the answer to anything but he does have prior goal scoring prowess and at least DP did something. I'll give him that. Hopefully this provides more of a mental spark for the team more than anything because I don't see Svatos making a big difference himself.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Legionnaire11

If it wasn't a division rival I would almost say that it was a favor for Poile, he knew that if the Preds signed Svatos they would likely have lost him on re-entry waivers as well, so get a fellow GM to sign the player and then the Preds claim him. But that theory would go a lot farther if it was say, and eastern conf. GM. Like Shero or something. And then at some point in the future we see Poile return the favor.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Seth Lake

Svatos was skating with Goc and Kostitsyn this morning at practice.

Apparently, he was one of the last on the ice and received an ovation from the crowd on hand when he hit the ice. David Legwand immediately skated over and shook his hand too. Don't think that Svatos will have much trouble fitting in here...

Old
12-30-2010, 01:49 PM
jlsg

When I heard we picked him up the first thing I thought was how he would fit with 9 and 74. Could be the spark that brings his scoring touch out.

jlsg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's hilarious.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Svatos was skating with Goc and Kostitsyn this morning at practice.

Apparently, he was one of the last on the ice and received an ovation from the crowd on hand when he hit the ice. David Legwand immediately skated over and shook his hand too. Don't think that Svatos will have much trouble fitting in here...
So what were the other lines looking like? Where does Klassen go now?

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Instead of dispatching a rank-and-file employee or an intern to the Nashville International Airport armed with a sign that said, “Svatos,” Nashville Predators Head Coach Barry Trotz was the one who drove across town to pick up Marek Svatos, the team’s newest addition, when he landed in Music City at midnight.

A head coach picking up a new player from the airport is a surprise, but doing it for a flight that landed at midnight really left an impression on Svatos. *

“It was kind of weird, coach picking up a player,” Svatos said. “That shows that he cares about the players.”
http://www.examiner.com/nashville-pr...r-marek-svatos

Great article from Jim Diamond getting Svatos reaction to being claimed on waivers and also picking up on one of those extra little things Trotz does behind the scenes that are so often overlooked by the public, but mean a lot to the players.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
So what were the other lines looking like? Where does Klassen go now?
Don't know. I'm in NC right now, so I'm just getting updates from others. Honestly, I'm not sure Trotz has decided yet. The players switched jerseys twice today and Klasen skated with O'Reilly and Legwand after starting with Goc today.

If he stays in the lineup, I'd guess he either moves into Sully's vacated spot or plays on the third scoring line (4th) wing...

Old
12-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

Great article from Jim Diamond getting Svatos reaction to being claimed on waivers and also picking up on one of those extra little things Trotz does behind the scenes that are so often overlooked by the public, but mean a lot to the players.
A feel good story. Thanks Slake. I really hope he's happy with the move to Nashville. It's been a confusing week or so for him not knowing where he was going to end up, so it was great to hear that Barry picked him up himself.

More importantly though....what does Barry drive?

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:37 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Don't know. I'm in NC right now, so I'm just getting updates from others. Honestly, I'm not sure Trotz has decided yet. The players switched jerseys twice today and Klasen skated with O'Reilly and Legwand after starting with Goc today.

If he stays in the lineup, I'd guess he either moves into Sully's vacated spot or plays on the third scoring line (4th) wing...
So we might be looking at something like this then for tomorrow:

Goc/SK/Svatos
O'Reilly/Leggy/Klasen
Smithson/Ward/Wilson
Spaling/Hornqvist/Dumont

or do we switch out Wilson and Spaling and move Wilson back to the pivot? Any sign of Erat at practice today? If so, would we put Erat and Leggy on the wings with O'Reilly and sit Klasen?

I really liked when Erat and Legwand played on the wings with Arnott a few years back. It seemed to spark the offensive game for both of them until one of them got injured and we never saw that line again.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

Goc/SK/Svatos
O'Reilly/Leggy/Klasen
Smithson/Ward/Wilson
Spaling/Hornqvist/Dumont

or do we switch out Wilson and Spaling and move Wilson back to the pivot? Any sign of Erat at practice today? If so, would we put Erat and Leggy on the wings with O'Reilly and sit Klasen?

I really liked when Erat and Legwand played on the wings with Arnott a few years back. It seemed to spark the offensive game for both of them until one of them got injured and we never saw that line again.
Sorry, I meant that Klasen played with three different centers throughout the practice, not that Legwand had moved to the wing.

Personally, I'm thinking...

Dumont - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Kostitsyn - Goc - Svatos
Smithson - Legwand - Ward
Klasen - Spaling - Wilson

But I'd really like to see Wilson and Dumont switched...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 12-30-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old
12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

Another reason why I love this team and organization, things like this.

Old
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

Goc/SK/Svatos
O'Reilly/Leggy/Klasen
Smithson/Ward/Wilson
Spaling/Hornqvist/Dumont

Erat was not at practice.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Dumont - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Kostitsyn - Goc - Svatos
Smithson - Legwand - Ward
Klasen - Spaling - Wilson

But I'd really like to see Wilson and Dumont switched...
Smithson - Legwand - Ward is a huge waste of Legwand. I'm about as sick of that combo as any that Trotz ices.

Wilson should replace Smithson there. The few times Wilson has skated with Legwand they looked really good out there. With both Legwand and Ward, there's less reason for Trotz to fear Wilson as a defensive liability, so he could actually stay with that line for awhile. Ward did throw that beauty of an outlet to Wilson last game. (Not 100% sure if he knew Wilson was there, lol, but it was nice...) Legwand deserves to be given linemates who can play some offense. Quit forcing his good two-way play into one-way. Spaling and Smithson and XXX can be iced to play defense and harass good lines.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote