HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Whitney - EDIT - Confirmed Out For Season (link at #222)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
AK Dandyman

vCash: 500
Feel so bad for Whitney, he's just coming of age as a leader and a great defenseman, now he's out for a while.

I think this will help our lottery pick's chance but wish it was at the expense of a bad injury. This is working out almost like last year with the injuries.

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 12-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old
12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Why is everyone so hot to trade the only big man up front that is worth a sniff? Mind boggling.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:25 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why is everyone so hot to trade the only big man up front that is worth a sniff? Mind boggling.
I think a lot of people are discussing it, but not sure how many would actually trade him given the chance

I would rather keep him but if a team is willing to overpay, i.e. Penner + Cogs for a lottery pick this year, a young defenceman like Pietrangelo, Johnson, etc., or a potential 1C then I deal him asap

In other words, I wouldn't trade him because no other teams would be dumb enough to do this now that Sutter is unemployed

Old
12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
nsoilfan

do we know how long yet?

i think we are front loaded we could make a trade for a d no problem.

the usual suspects cog/ brule/ storts

Old
12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
most value .. rest are either too useless, injury prone or part of the future.
Penner, Gagner and Peckham are probably the only 3 tradable guys worth a 1st.

Horc, Khabi and Gilbert are going nowhere <contract>
Brule, Cogs, Fraser, Foster, Vandy, Stortini, Omark and surprisingly Smid are playing like AHLers
rest are the future.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:38 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
do we know how long yet?

i think we are front loaded we could make a trade for a d no problem.

the usual suspects cog/ brule/ storts
Nooooo, we need to dive for the lottery pick.

Not that Cogs or Storts will get us any D that's close to decent.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Nooooo, we need to dive for the lottery pick.

Not that Cogs or Storts will get us any D that's close to decent.
cogs/brule for one of vancouvers extra d...they have to make a move very quickly

Old
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
most value .. rest are either too useless, injury prone or part of the future.
Penner, Gagner and Peckham are probably the only 3 tradable guys worth a 1st.

Horc, Khabi and Gilbert are going nowhere <contract>
Brule, Cogs, Fraser, Foster, Vandy, Stortini, Omark and surprisingly Smid are playing like AHLers
rest are the future.
I like how everyone is dog piling on Omark after an announcer and a colour guy erroneously fingered him for a poor giveaway that led to a goal. There were three Sabres on Omark on that play. What was he supposed to do? Where was the puck support?

There was none. A bunch of guys with fingers up their noses. But its all Omark's fault. One mistake and he is a healthy scratch. Rob Schremp all over again. Meanwhile Cogliano blows multiple plays a game and gets promoted. Hilarious.

If Penner is willing to stay with this joke of a franchise, we need to keep him. Not only is has he been our leading goal scorer the last two seasons, he is the only guy with any size and durability up front. The minute we trade him is the minute we start looking for a replacement for him. That kind of bumfoolery has to stop or this team is going nowhere.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I like how everyone is dog piling on Omark after an announcer and a colour guy erroneously fingered him for a poor giveaway that led to a goal. There were three Sabres on Omark on that play. What was he supposed to do? Where was the puck support?

There was none. A bunch of guys with fingers up their noses. But its all Omark's fault. One mistake and he is a healthy scratch. Rob Schremp all over again. Meanwhile Cogliano blows multiple plays a game and gets promoted. Hilarious.

If Penner is willing to stay with this joke of a franchise, we need to keep him. Not only is has he been our leading goal scorer the last two seasons, he is the only guy with any size and durability up front. The minute we trade him is the minute we start looking for a replacement for him. That kind of bumfoolery has to stop or this team is going nowhere.
Agree on the Omark bit, disagree on Penner.

We can't keep everyone and we can't have like 2/3rds of our cap locked onto our wing players. Yes we have cap room today ... that cap room goes away pretty quick when signing kids.

Hall is going to be this teams leading scorer for a long time most likely, Penner sort of held that role by default the past few years.

We should have moved Penner for Sather's pick (10th overall) in last year's draft when his stock was at its peak. We could have drafted Cam Fowler with that pick.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Islanders beat Pittsburgh tonight 2-1.Amazing that the Oilers are only 4 points up on the Islanders now.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
nsoilfan

i also dont have a problem if they dont do any moves. bring up some guys, like plante, belle, petiot, or chorney

these guys need to get some NHL time as well for there development and for a guy like petiot it would just be nice to see him finaly get a shot.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Islanders beat Pittsburgh tonight 2-1.Amazing that the Oilers are only 4 points up on the Islanders now.
Ottawa and Buffalo kinda worry me though with their injuries (Spezza out two months I think) ... they could crash into a free fall as well.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:59 PM
SDig14

Quote:

That's one fear I have as well...the Visnovsky trade dilemma all over again

Right after that deal we found ourselves missing the playoffs when he went down and ever since we have been looking for a shutdown d-man and a 3C who can win faceoffs, not to mention someone who can help out our PP

Last thing we need is to be a contender in 3+ years and have to try to find a big 30 goal scoring power forward

Old
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Tommy35

Quote:

Well said.
Does that mean this coaching staff actually listen to the announcers/color guy and take it to heart to point the finger at Omark? It looks like they do, because if they saw that play as you described it (which I totally agree with you) and still decide to scratch Omark next game, they are making it sadly obvious of the political ****and favoritism that goes on in this organization

Old
12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
That's one fear I have as well...the Visnovsky trade dilemma all over again

Right after that deal we found ourselves missing the playoffs when he went down and ever since we have been looking for a shutdown d-man and a 3C who can win faceoffs, not to mention someone who can help out our PP

Last thing we need is to be a contender in 3+ years and have to try to find a big 30 goal scoring power forward
I'm really not prepared to spend $5+ million to keep him here and I'm not even sure that he wouldn't bolt back to California the first chance he gets as a UFA.

If things do not go great next year, there's a good chance both Hemsky and Penner and walk on the UFA market and we get nothing for either one of them or a piddling rental return.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
maybe crosby can shave now movember has been over for almost a month

Old
12-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I don't think anyone really wants to get rid of Penner. He's a good player. It's just that if we aren't going to be winning this year or next year it's almost pointless keeping him around. I really doubt he'll decide to stay with the Oilers when his contract is up.

Another thing to consider is Hall will most likely be the superior player real soon and PRV should catch up within a couple seasons (hopefully).

So as good as he is we don't really need him right now and I don't want him to walk away for nothing. Might as well try to get some help on D or maybe get a 1st round pick.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

I think its more of an accumulation of things for Omark. He wasnt actually benched after that play yesterday. He came out like 2 shifts later, didnt do anything so was benched until the PP (played exclusively that).

I know people want to protect Omark and everything but maybe some of you guys should re-watch that play b/c i think only Replacement did and he saw what i saw. He fanned at the puck at centre, so went to his own zone, fanned again. Then 3 Buffalo players closed on him so he tried to 1 hand the puck away.

I know people will say he didnt play with this player or this player. But he got PP time and played with PRV (who was doing well before). If he gets sent down its mostly b/c ever since the Columbus game hes done absolutely 0.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm really not prepared to spend $5+ million to keep him here and I'm not even sure that he wouldn't bolt back to California the first chance he gets as a UFA.

If things do not go great next year, there's a good chance both Hemsky and Penner and walk on the UFA market and we get nothing for either one of them or a piddling rental return.
Well, obviously if I am tambo I am talking to both of them constantly...I think he should be able to get a feel for their interest level in Edmonton longterm

It might make sense to keep only one for money reasons, but will someone really pay him 5+ mill? If we could get him locked up at around 4 I would love to keep him

Old
12-29-2010, 09:20 PM
AK Dandyman

I don't think we should be trading Hemmer or Penner, because i doubt we can get back what we needed ie a #1 Dman or #1 Centre, or a top 5 pick.

However, if we must trade one of those two. I'd move Hemmer and keep Penner. I think in today's NHL, it's a little easier to find a small very skilled winger, but it's very difficult to find a Top 6 power forward that can skate well, score, pass, control the puck down low, don't take bad penalties, and even take some faceoffs if required.

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 12-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old
12-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Rebuilds generally take longer than one year so relax. Was losing all those games last year worth getting Hall? You bet it was. Would losing the balance of the rest of the games be worth getting Couturier? You bet it would.

Unless of course you are content with our top two centers being Gagner and Horcoff.
You're right about our centre depth needing a boost but Couturier as the answer remains to be seen.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Other Little Mikey

Jonathan Willis just wrote a post on ON saying Whitney's out 2 months. I have yet to see a published report with a firm timeline anywhere, in fact I haven't heard anyone say how bad it is besides Bob McKenzie being vague.

Link?

Old
12-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Jonathan Willis just wrote a post on ON saying Whitney's out 2 months. I have yet to see a published report with a firm timeline anywhere, in fact I haven't heard anyone say how bad it is besides Bob McKenzie being vague.

Link?
He is probably speculating 6-8 weeks, which sounds about right.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
MerryJ99

More injury woes for the Oilers and not really any defensive depth to take his place. This will be the true test and the Oilers guarantee for a lottery pick unfortunately.

did anyone listen to Spector on the team today? He didn't think that the Oilers injuries were all that bad last year in fact he didn't think the Oil had that many injuries last year at all...he has to be right up there with Kypreos when it comes to Hockey's worst reporters...

Old
12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Agreed. While at this time I don't believe a Hemsky trade is any time coming, between Penner and Hemsky which one can be replaced on the Oilers in the next year? All those who are touting the worth of Omark along with Eberle/MPV, Hemsky is the sexy asset that is replaceable on the team. There is no one at this team that can play the "big man" role that Penner provides and to trade for someone like him would cost dearly.

If we can keep both, great.

Closed Thread