HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2 more games for Shelley

Old
12-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Shelley will announce retirement during the off-season and joins the Phantoms coaching staff.

Riley as the head coach and Jody as the assistant, holy ffffffffuuu!
and all our draft picks for the next decade traded. Forget about developing talent.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Narcs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:43 PM
lancer247

Didn't Lucic get a $2500 fine for doing the same thing to Meyers?

I like Carcillo in the line up anyway. I hope he plays he ass off to stay in the lineup.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
ki11joy

Agree with the call, but why didn't Lucic get a suspension for doing the same thing to Freddy Meyer, who was also being held by a linesman?

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I don't care if Shelley being suspended makes the lineup better, this just speaks to the ******** of how inconsistent the NHL is on making judgment calls. Lucic is a repeat offender as noted, so WTF? Does anyone else agree with me?

12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeRocket View Post
Agree with the call, but why didn't Lucic get a suspension for doing the same thing to Freddy Meyer, who was also being held by a linesman?
Not meant to be snarky, but perhaps because Lucic's punch was a pulled jab, and Shelley's was a haymaker.

Or it could be something else altogether. With the NHL, you never know. Did Shelley have a hearing? Perhaps Lucic is a better talker.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not meant to be snarky, but perhaps because Lucic's punch was a pulled jab, and Shelley's was a haymaker.

Or it could be something else altogether. With the NHL, you never know. Did Shelley have a hearing? Perhaps Lucic is a better talker.
ROTFLMAO. A pulled jab? He cut Meyer's face right open and he wasn't even looking at Lucic.

Colon Campbell is so corrupt, it's really not worth discussing. If his son plays on your team, you get away scot free. If the player plays on a team that repeatedly beat the crap out of Colon when he was playing, you get suspended.

Business as usual in the corrupt NHL.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
ROTFLMAO. A pulled jab? He cut Meyer's face right open and he wasn't even looking at Lucic.

Colon Campbell is so corrupt, it's really not worth discussing. If his son plays on your team, you get away scot free. If the player plays on a team that repeatedly beat the crap out of Colon when he was playing, you get suspended.

Good story except for Campbell doesn't (theoretically) factor into the decision when his son's team is involved.

Jody Shelley is a goon... people really haven't been paying attention (for years) if they think there is anything odd about him getting suspended for this.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:21 AM
PhillyCurt12

damnit, i was thinking he'd get 4. common league! get it together.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

As noted below, Campbell recuses himself from Bruins matters.

Sure Meyer was looking at him. And yapping. And he wasn't cut open. Ference was (from a Stewart punch), and Lucic was (from the Meyer hit).

Lucic has admitted he was wrong for throwing that punch. "I've been in many fights where I've cut guys open, where I've hurt guys in fights, if I really wanted to, I could have hurt him, but I did lay back a bit on the punch, but it was something I shouldn't have done."

Lucic interview Sorry, don't know how to embed video.

I have no idea how the league decided on the relative punishments - perhaps it was indeed because of the jab vs. roundhouse punches, or perhaps, as a reporter suggests in the Lucic interview, because of the events leading up to them, as Meyer was directly involved in sparking the brawl and Alberts, as far as I could see (didn't watch the game) wasn't. Perhaps, as I suggested before, Lucic was better at justifying himself or expressing remorse to the league than Shelley? I don't suppose we'll ever know, but it would be interesting to find out.

Old
12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:

Sure Meyer was looking at him. And yapping. And he wasn't cut open. Ference was (from a Stewart punch), and Lucic was (from the Meyer hit).

Lucic has admitted he was wrong for throwing that punch. "I've been in many fights where I've cut guys open, where I've hurt guys in fights, if I really wanted to, I could have hurt him, but I did lay back a bit on the punch, but it was something I shouldn't have done."

Lucic interview Sorry, don't know how to embed video.

I have no idea how the league decided on the relative punishments - perhaps it was indeed because of the jab vs. roundhouse punches, or perhaps, as a reporter suggests in the Lucic interview, because of the events leading up to them, as Meyer was directly involved in sparking the brawl and Alberts, as far as I could see (didn't watch the game) wasn't. Perhaps, as I suggested before, Lucic was better at justifying himself or expressing remorse to the league than Shelley? I don't suppose we'll ever know, but it would be interesting to find out.
There's really no point in debating it because there's no consistency with the NHL. You could use the exact same description of events for two different players and get two different results.

Also, the fact the Campbell isn't involved in B's matters isn't really relevant either. Whoever decided that instance would have to have decided Shelley's fate for there to be a comparison.

What it comes down to though...is whether the suspension was warranted or not -- it gets Shelley out of the lineup for two games which is a good thing.

Last edited by Jules801: 12-30-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Terence Peterman

I hope Shelley is benched even longer after the suspension is over.

Late Christmas present.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
There's really no point in debating it because there's no consistency with the NHL. You could use the exact same description of events for two different players and get two different results.

Also, the fact the Campbell isn't involved in B's matters isn't really relevant either. Whoever decided that instance would have to have decided Shelley's fate for there to be a comparison.

What it comes down to though...is whether the suspension was warranted or not -- it gets Shelley out of the lineup for two games which is a good thing.
Oh, I know the absense of Campbell isn't relevant - it's just that the previous poster cited Campbell as a factor, which is inaccurate.

Despite jokes about the "wheel of justice" or "dartboard of justice" if you will, there must be some sort of reasoning behind these rulings. I'd be interested to hear what it is, just out of curiosity.

Old
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Oh, I know the absense of Campbell isn't relevant - it's just that the previous poster cited Campbell as a factor, which is inaccurate.

Despite jokes about the "wheel of justice" or "dartboard of justice" if you will, there must be some sort of reasoning behind these rulings. I'd be interested to hear what it is, just out of curiosity.
Haha...I would be too!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
agrudez*

Anyone who says, "Well, Campbell isn't involved in meetings regarding his son's team receiving disciplinary action."

I will give an anology:

Say you were to coach a high school basketball team which your boss' son played on. Now, of course your boss isn't directly correlated with your on the court decisions, but you can't deny that your decisions aren't swayed by the fact that he is, indeed, your boss. It would sure make the next day at the office unpleasant if you benched his son, not to mention at some point you may fear for your job security.

It has been made clear that Campbell is corrupt in dealings surrounding his son with referees employed under him, why wouldn't he be just as corrupt in dealings with someone who works directly under him, whom he sees every day and with whom he is probably best buds, playing golf and raining dollar bills at strippers during lunch every day?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Anyone who says, "Well, Campbell isn't involved in meetings regarding his son's team receiving disciplinary action."

I will give an anology:

Say you were to coach a high school basketball team which your boss' son played on. Now, of course your boss isn't directly correlated with your on the court decisions, but you can't deny that your decisions aren't swayed by the fact that he is, indeed, your boss. It would sure make the next day at the office unpleasant if you benched his son, not to mention at some point you may fear for your job security.

It has been made clear that Campbell is corrupt in dealings surrounding his son with referees employed under him, why wouldn't he be just as corrupt in dealings with someone who works directly under him, whom he sees every day and with whom he is probably best buds, playing golf and raining dollar bills at strippers during lunch every day?
Are you best buds with everyone you work with? Not sure you can assume that... and while Campbell is a *ing idiot, I'm pretty sure the NHL does make a serious effort to avoid familial bias in these situations, because those guys really don't need the Board of Governors and/or GMs collectively deciding they suck and that new folks need to be hired.

Jody Shelley is a goon... the NHL is quite consistent in goons receiving suspensions in situations where more marquee players (Lucic, for example) get off to a lesser extent. There is also the repeat offender thing (which nagged Briere) that they are also consistent in.

Where they F up is in the idiotic logic of getting to that point. For example, in the playoffs a couple years back when Campbell laid out the whole goon, and repeat offender logic in justifying why he didn't give whomever a suspension while suspending another player... all the while ignoring the fact that if you don't give a guy a record, he doesn't have that to work against him going forward. In Shelley's case, I'm pretty sure he was previously suspended for a cheap shot... so, there was no way he was getting out of there without a suspension.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha. You're killing me. You think that corrupt weasel REALLY recuses himself? You think his underlings just do whatever they think is right?

Didn't you see the transcripts of the referee's hearing? Campbell is a moron, and as corrupt an official as you can find in any tinpot CIA sponsored dictatorship.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote