HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Trade A Goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2010, 03:57 PM
  #76
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i agree, in fact this maybe the only time you can trade Thomas. i dont think many teams are gunna take the risk in the off season on Thomas repeating what he has done so far this season. if he's not gone by the deadline, there's about a 99% chance he is here till the end of that contract
Can someone please attempt to offer a logical reason Thomas would waive his NTC?

Just one?

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
  #77
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Can someone please attempt to offer a logical reason Thomas would waive his NTC?

Just one?
if he found himself in a situation like Rask does, that meaning he was relegated to the bench for the rest of the season. if he thought the team he was going to had a better shot at the Cup. Timmy is no fool, he knows this season could be his only shot to win a Cup, father time is looming and Thomas knows that

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
  #78
LyndonByers
Registered User
 
LyndonByers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Except you are talking about it like it is a 50/50 proposition.

Timmy has already stated his desire to stay here.

He moved his sick parents here last year (fact).

He is not eager to relocate them (fact).

Those two facts come directly from a Bruin's coach.

Why would a guy who is in the MVP discussion, on a team he loves in a city he loves and got entrenched in waive his no trade when he is in first place as the starter?

The burden of proof is on you, good sir.

Like I said I have no proof that Thomas would waive his NTC. Obviously with him holding a NTC he holds the cards. My opinion is under the assumption that he would.

I will note that there have individuals who have in the past waived there NTC's. Who knows maybe Thomas comes back to earth in the 2nd half & Rask goes on a run & the Bs approach Thomas at the deadline with a deal to a nice situation. Maybe he waives it & maybe he don't. I am not pretending to know how he would respond.

LyndonByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
  #79
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
if he found himself in a situation like Rask does, that meaning he was relegated to the bench for the rest of the season. if he thought the team he was going to had a better shot at the Cup. Timmy is no fool, he knows this season could be his only shot to win a Cup, father time is looming and Thomas knows that
So more speculation.

He was in that spot last year and didn't go.

He had a lot of reasons to think it would be the case this year too.

The minority saying Trade Thomas have to realize it is so improbable that it is nothing but a pure hypothetical.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:09 PM
  #80
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
So more speculation.

He was in that spot last year and didn't go.

He had a lot of reasons to think it would be the case this year too.

The minority saying Trade Thomas have to realize it is so improbable that it is nothing but a pure hypothetical.
i dont remember him vetoing a trade last season and of course this is all speculation... its in the thread title, its what we do around here

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
  #81
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i dont remember him vetoing a trade last season and of course this is all speculation... its in the thread title, its what we do around here
I thought Murph or Haggs said he had in fact vetoed a trade last year.

And again, why would he waive it this year? He'd need to have some huge incentive. (money? but what team would give him an extra year at 6 or 7 million to entice him? No one, even if he is the Vezina favorite by a million right now.)

Posts about moving him at the deadline are pure imagination.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:19 PM
  #82
Hartford Mike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i dont remember him vetoing a trade last season and of course this is all speculation... its in the thread title, its what we do around here
There are a lot of things that happens behind the scenes of a professional sports team that we as fans are not privy to. Its amazing that someone can post an opinion about something and claim its gods will when in fact all of us are in the dark.

So we need to be going off of what is said publicly to us as fans from the media in interviews, from all accounts we have heard from Thomas its always been Wants to be here, likes it here, gets along with Tuukka great. When it came to Savard everyone had an opinion and most of them were wrong, until he came out and said he was depressed and would go to Ottawa or Toronto, but is happy here.

From what we know of Thomas's track record we can assume that he will continue to be here as long as his NTC is in effect, which happens to lift the same time Rask is due for his next contract. At that point Chia can send him where ever to some team near the cap floor who will only need to pay him 3million cash for a 5million cap hit.

The carrying on about our goaltending never ceases to amaze me when we never get constant production out of fan favorites game to game.

Hartford Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:23 PM
  #83
Marchandmvp617
 
Marchandmvp617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
TT is the first goalie to bring the Bruins stability in how many years? Goaltending has always been the problem for the Bruins the 2003-2004 team getting buy with the most overrated goalie in the league Raycroft, we had Johnny Graham for a few years, Potvin, Shields can go on and on. Finally the Bruins have found stability with Thomas.

It would be stupid to trade either right now with the low cap hit Tukka has and the talent Timmy has.

Maybe we trade Tukka in a year or two when some contracts expire and we have money to bring in a actual goal scorer for once.

Marchandmvp617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
  #84
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast617 View Post
TT is the first goalie to bring the Bruins stability in how many years? Goaltending has always been the problem for the Bruins the 2003-2004 team getting buy with the most overrated goalie in the league Raycroft, we had Johnny Graham for a few years, Potvin, Shields can go on and on. Finally the Bruins have found stability with Thomas.

It would be stupid to trade either right now with the low cap hit Tukka has and the talent Timmy has.

Maybe we trade Tukka in a year or two when some contracts expire and we have money to bring in a actual goal scorer for once.
i wouldnt call Thomas stability. he's been up and down his hole Bruins career and it wouldnt be stupid to trade either of them like i already laid out. Tuukka would bring a nice piece if the Bruins want to go into win now mode and make a legit run at a Cup. trading Thomas would open up a ton of cap to address needs in the off season and even at this season's trade deadline seeing as any deal the Bruins make right now would have to match dollar for dollar. Tuukka is a very good goalie so trading Thomas while it would be a downgrade its not like they would have a huge drop off and maybe it would actually inspire this team to play some D instead of just relying on Thomas to bail them out every night.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
  #85
nORRis8*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Sun
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Thomas is the starter and Rask is the backup. Plus they're getting paid accordingly.
You keep Thomas till he plays out his contract and turn over the reigns to Tuuka in a few years.

Tuukka has played 50 NHL reg. season games. To trade a veteran goalie who is on his way to almost be League MVP, go with a guy who has played 50 games and have a nobody as a backup? As Seinfeld said once "To the idiot mobile."

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:15 PM
  #86
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Thomas is the starter and Rask is the backup. Plus they're getting paid accordingly.
You keep Thomas till he plays out his contract and turn over the reigns to Tuuka in a few years.

Tuukka has played 50 NHL reg. season games. To trade a veteran goalie who is on his way to almost be League MVP, go with a guy who has played 50 games and have a nobody as a backup? As Seinfeld said once "To the idiot mobile."
i doubt Tuukka is gunna sit on the bench for two years then sign a team friendly offer.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
  #87
Lordstanley
Playoffs!
 
Lordstanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loge - 4 + Sec -316
Country: United States
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
For the love of ice hockey !


NONONONO!

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
  #88
Lordstanley
Playoffs!
 
Lordstanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Loge - 4 + Sec -316
Country: United States
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Lets trade Brady while we are at it. I am sure our backup quarterback will take us to the promised land just as well.

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM
  #89
nORRis8*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Sun
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i doubt Tuukka is gunna sit on the bench for two years then sign a team friendly offer.
Then I guess every backup goalie who has played a total of 50 games should feel this way.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:25 PM
  #90
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Then I guess every backup goalie who has played a total of 50 games should feel this way.
not every backup can lead the league in GAA. besides you only hamper a players development by playing him once a month

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
  #91
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 13,827
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
not every backup can lead the league in GAA. besides you only hamper a players development by playing him once a month
Tuukka will be fine. He is witnessing first hand goal tending HISTORY being made. Thomas would be making every other starting goalie warm the bench with his play.

Everything points to Tuukka being not only just OK with Thomas playing and playing well, but also being supportive. He knows his time will come. But this year belongs to Thomas. Case closed.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
  #92
Marchandmvp617
 
Marchandmvp617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
i wouldnt call Thomas stability. he's been up and down his hole Bruins career and it wouldnt be stupid to trade either of them like i already laid out. Tuukka would bring a nice piece if the Bruins want to go into win now mode and make a legit run at a Cup. trading Thomas would open up a ton of cap to address needs in the off season and even at this season's trade deadline seeing as any deal the Bruins make right now would have to match dollar for dollar. Tuukka is a very good goalie so trading Thomas while it would be a downgrade its not like they would have a huge drop off and maybe it would actually inspire this team to play some D instead of just relying on Thomas to bail them out every night.
What nice piece could the Bruins land that makes a salary comparable to Tuukka's?

I would do that in a heart beat if the Bruins weren't already at the cap limit. Any nice piece would put the Bruins way over even if Ference was thrown in.

Marchandmvp617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
  #93
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast617 View Post
What nice piece could the Bruins land that makes a salary comparable to Tuukka's?

I would do that in a heart beat if the Bruins weren't already at the cap limit. Any nice piece would put the Bruins way over even if Ference was thrown in.
Tuukka and Ference would work for a guy like Sutter. not saying Nashville would necessarily do the deal but you get a significant piece from a Tuukka trade

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
  #94
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I thought Murph or Haggs said he had in fact vetoed a trade last year.

And again, why would he waive it this year? He'd need to have some huge incentive. (money? but what team would give him an extra year at 6 or 7 million to entice him? No one, even if he is the Vezina favorite by a million right now.)

Posts about moving him at the deadline are pure imagination.
As far as I know, that rumored deal hasn't been confirmed. Washington fans say their media insiders denied it.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
  #95
Milan Lucic
Registered User
 
Milan Lucic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
What a terrible idea

Milan Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
  #96
bruinmann77
Registered User
 
bruinmann77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bronx ny
Country: United States
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
why is there even talk of this foolishness we are noy going to trade either goalie why should we. if any Bruin fan has watched this season TT IS THE REASON WHY THE BRUINS ARE IN FIRST

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
  #97
Bad Hat Harry
Registered User
 
Bad Hat Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
I don't think Rask should take riding the bench personal, or be affected by it. There literally is no goalie in this league I'd start over Thomas right now. None. No matter who is the backup for us, I'd start Thomas.

I don't see the logic in trading Thomas right now. It seems foolish to trade away a great goalie, and hope Rask comes back to last years form and gives us a chance to win. We have a great goalie tandem right now. Why change it?

Once Thomas starts to go downhill, then we can trade him in a package deal, or ride it out until we can get a more cap-friendly deal out of him. Until then, trading Thomas makes about as much sense as thinking of trading Crosby while his stock is high so the Penguins can get a goal scorer.

Bad Hat Harry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:26 PM
  #98
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plm12 View Post
I don't think Rask should take riding the bench personal, or be affected by it. There literally is no goalie in this league I'd start over Thomas right now. None. No matter who is the backup for us, I'd start Thomas.

I don't see the logic in trading Thomas right now. It seems foolish to trade away a great goalie, and hope Rask comes back to last years form and gives us a chance to win. We have a great goalie tandem right now. Why change it?

Once Thomas starts to go downhill, then we can trade him in a package deal, or ride it out until we can get a more cap-friendly deal out of him. Until then, trading Thomas makes about as much sense as thinking of trading Crosby while his stock is high so the Penguins can get a goal scorer.
do you people even read the thread before you post? how many times do i have to explain, i want to trade a goalie so this team can address more pressing needs like a mobile defense man and secondary scoring. the NHL has moved to an emphasis on depth on the blueline and up front. quality depth is much more important than having elite goaltending yet alone 2. right now this team is not SC caliber team.

yeah good luck trading Thomas once he goes down hill lol. who in there right mind would take on that contract? as for the Thomas - Crosby comparison... its not applicable here. one player is 23 the other is 36

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:43 PM
  #99
Bad Hat Harry
Registered User
 
Bad Hat Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG FTW View Post
do you people even read the thread before you post? how many times do i have to explain, i want to trade a goalie so this team can address more pressing needs like a mobile defense man and secondary scoring. the NHL has moved to an emphasis on depth on the blueline and up front. quality depth is much more important than having elite goaltending yet alone 2. right now this team is not SC caliber team.

yeah good luck trading Thomas once he goes down hill lol. who in there right mind would take on that contract? as for the Thomas - Crosby comparison... its not applicable here. one player is 23 the other is 36
Thomas makes 5 mil next year, 3 mil the next, then is a UFA. I don't think Thomas will completely collapse in two years, and I'm sure Chia can find a team that would take him. If Giguere, and his 6mil contract can find a home in Toronto, then I'm sure Thomas could be traded.

I just don't see how trading Thomas or Rask could make us better. Thomas is literally the best goaltender in the league. I don't see how you can value a PMD as better than the best goalie in the league.

That leaves trading Rask, who is thought to be the future of Bruins goaltending for years to come. With all the time that the Bruins have invested in Rask, I don't forsee them trading him in the near future, regardless of the short-term return he may fetch. I'll take solid goaltending for years over a PMD this year.

Bad Hat Harry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:54 PM
  #100
LucicTrain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plm12 View Post
Thomas makes 5 mil next year, 3 mil the next, then is a UFA. I don't think Thomas will completely collapse in two years, and I'm sure Chia can find a team that would take him. If Giguere, and his 6mil contract can find a home in Toronto, then I'm sure Thomas could be traded.

I just don't see how trading Thomas or Rask could make us better. Thomas is literally the best goaltender in the league. I don't see how you can value a PMD as better than the best goalie in the league.

That leaves trading Rask, who is thought to be the future of Bruins goaltending for years to come. With all the time that the Bruins have invested in Rask, I don't forsee them trading him in the near future, regardless of the short-term return he may fetch. I'll take solid goaltending for years over a PMD this year.
he's a 5 million dollar cap hit for two more years that's all that really matters, not his actual salary. Giguere was 32 when he got traded you're talking about trading Thomas at 37/38. i already gave multiple examples of how trading either one would make the Bruins better. right now you have a valuable asset not being used, not to mention sitting on the bench and playing once a month does nothing to help Tuukka's developmental. Bruins need to either decide to make serious run at a Cup or take another year or two to develop a few more players. im getting tired of these half heart efforts to win a Cup.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.