HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2010, 10:25 AM
  #101
Muad'Dib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arrakis
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAJq6YzNYA

Anyone see the ninja kick from Pettis last night?


Muad'Dib is offline  
Old
12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
  #102
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAJq6YzNYA

Anyone see the ninja kick from Pettis last night?



... wow.

I have the fight ready to watch on my PVR and I think this convinced me to go watch it right now!

Mizral is offline  
Old
12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
  #103
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwAJq6YzNYA

Anyone see the ninja kick from Pettis last night?


I watched that event last night, ridiculous card from the WEC folks for their swan song.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-17-2010, 11:58 AM
  #104
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,749
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i'll miss WEC, was happy it got on the score and its gone

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
12-17-2010, 02:08 PM
  #105
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Another quality WEC card, that kick was insane, the fact that he landed it late in the 5th round is crazy too. Pettis had a very active guard too, which he will need when he goes against either Edger/Maynard. Horodecki was just a bit overmatched against Cerrone, all in all, it was just another great night for WEC.

PepsiFiend is offline  
Old
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
  #106
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
The UFC desperately needed to add these weight classes. Some of the cards were getting pathetically thin.

dem is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 07:51 AM
  #107
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I watched that event last night, ridiculous card from the WEC folks for their swan song.
Yeah that kick was sweet and in the dying minutes of the last round. Wow.

You are right though WEC put on a great card. I will miss having the WEC. We get less MMA on tv (and judging by White's comments no increase in UFC on tv) with this merger which is also lame. I suspect some of these fighters that are good fighters will get lost in the massive shuffle of UFC fighters and will be out before you know it. But I am sure there will be some great match ups all the same.


On a side note the UFC debut in Toronto has been moved up from UFC 132 to UFC 129. Love it.

This article below says UFC attendance records are expected to be blown away by this event. Plus there are rumours the main event would St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields. A possibility Cain Valesquez on the card as well.

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-129-expecte...o-title-fights

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 07:57 AM
  #108
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,097
vCash: 500
Even without the kick (maybe the single greatest strike I've ever seen, even without the KO) that was one of the best fights I've seen all year. Maybe the best.

After 4 rounds I thought it was dead even. Both guys had incredible grappling and the striking was dead even. I mean how often in a title fight do you actually see the 5th and final round be the definitive deciding factor in a fight.

What was amazing about that kick is that it may very well have won him the round and also the fight.

Spawn is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 08:53 AM
  #109
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,749
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
from the prelims, a great fight between Brad Pickett Vs Ivan Menjivar

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/...ivan-menjivar/

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
  #110
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah that kick was sweet and in the dying minutes of the last round. Wow.

You are right though WEC put on a great card. I will miss having the WEC. We get less MMA on tv (and judging by White's comments no increase in UFC on tv) with this merger which is also lame. I suspect some of these fighters that are good fighters will get lost in the massive shuffle of UFC fighters and will be out before you know it. But I am sure there will be some great match ups all the same.


On a side note the UFC debut in Toronto has been moved up from UFC 132 to UFC 129. Love it.

This article below says UFC attendance records are expected to be blown away by this event. Plus there are rumours the main event would St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields. A possibility Cain Valesquez on the card as well.

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-129-expecte...o-title-fights

The UFC will benefit significantly from the lighter guys coming in, which will include the formation of a flyweight(125) division.

The WEC cards have always been some of the most exciting cards to watch, and you got them for free! The increased roster will mean more (and higher quality) t.v. broadcasts of UFC events, such as the UFC fight for the troops, which is looking to be top-notch for a free event.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
  #111
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
The UFC will benefit significantly from the lighter guys coming in, which will include the formation of a flyweight(125) division.

The WEC cards have always been some of the most exciting cards to watch, and you got them for free! The increased roster will mean more (and higher quality) t.v. broadcasts of UFC events, such as the UFC fight for the troops, which is looking to be top-notch for a free event.
Yeah I still can not help but feel it will hurt those divisions overall. It is not like those weight classes get their own UFC shows or events.

Early returns would seem to suggest there will not be more UFC events as you suggest.

They now just get added to a new roster that is absolutely busting with endless amounts of fighters across all the weight classes and all are hoping for a spot on those UFC shows.

White said the UFC events on Versus will not be increased to cover the tv event schedule the WEC previously had. He also said when asked about increased Spike tv events, he said you never know and he could add more, but his answer to me sounded like he was saying no probably not an increase of UFC on Spike.

He was then asked will there be more PPV events to get this new influx of fighters on the cards regularly. White said no, we are already maxed out on the number of PPV's we are allowed to have per year. I had no idea there was a limit but it makes sense from the PPV peoples side I suppose.

All of that adds up for me within a year or so we will probably see a lot of solid WEC fighters out of the UFC. With no noticeable increase in UFC events coupled with a large expanding of the UFC roster means more fighters are in a tougher situation to stay around the UFC and fight regularly.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
  #112
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah I still can not help but feel it will hurt those divisions overall. It is not like those weight classes get their own UFC shows or events.

Early returns would seem to suggest there will not be more UFC events as you suggest.

They now just get added to a new roster that is absolutely busting with endless amounts of fighters across all the weight classes and all are hoping for a spot on those UFC shows.

White said the UFC events on Versus will not be increased to cover the tv event schedule the WEC previously had. He also said when asked about increased Spike tv events, he said you never know and he could add more, but his answer to me sounded like he was saying no probably not an increase of UFC on Spike.

He was then asked will there be more PPV events to get this new influx of fighters on the cards regularly. White said no, we are already maxed out on the number of PPV's we are allowed to have per year. I had no idea there was a limit but it makes sense from the PPV peoples side I suppose.

All of that adds up for me within a year or so we will probably see a lot of solid WEC fighters out of the UFC. With no noticeable increase in UFC events coupled with a large expanding of the UFC roster means more fighters are in a tougher situation to stay around the UFC and fight regularly.
I don't blame White for not promising more t.v. programs when he doesn't have anything planned, and, personally, I think only the lightweight division (WEC's) will be adversly affected...suddenly, all those lightweight fighters have to compete with the UFC's, and that will likely see a lot of adjustments and cuts.

On the other hand, Other than a few of the smaller lightweights cutting down, the smaller divisions can only benefit from access to the UFC brand to bring in more of the talent in the other regional shows and make those divisions even more exciting.

Ultimately I think the lighter divisions will beef up a lot of the 'filler' cards the UFC tends to put on, such as UFC 122 which was a bit of a stinker overall. I think, for too long, the guys in the heavier divisions have seen the benefit of not having to compete for primetime fight slots, and despite the obvious risk of getting cut from the UFC (which dana is pretty ruthless about at times) I think a lot of those fighters keep getting on the PPV card simply because there aren't any other fights available. The lighter divisions give Zuffa the opportunity to pick and choose higher quality undercard fights to put on for not just the in-house audience, but the PPV audience and force those guys looking for the prime-time exposure for sponsors and fame to step up and prove they deserve it over the newcomers.

Plus, the extra divisions will mean a lot more of the PPV cards will 'matter'. Now you've got: Flyweight (potentially), featherweight, bantamweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.

Assuming a title fight in those divisions only happens once per year, that's 8 title cards per year. If you assume that, say, half those titles are fought for twice (injury is always a factor, just look at shogun being out) that's 12 title cards per year.

Based on this year having 17 PPV events, that's a significantl portion of the PPV cards having direct title fights, with a free event thrown in and maybe a few fillers for #1 contender fights.

That's a signficant step up in card quality on its own.

That's all speculation on my part of course, but the UFC's cards could improve dramatically with the increased number of titles and top-flight fighters available. There will be cuts, and some otherwise good fighters will be forced to fight on lesser-promotion's cards, but the UFC product should improve.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
  #113
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,097
vCash: 500
So Duffee goes from getting cut from the UFC to fighting Overeem in his next bout on New Years Eve.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/2...ial-for-dynam/

Interesting decision for Duffee really sort of a no lose situation for him in one sense. He gets paid 60k to fight if he loses it's no big deal, everyone expected it of him, but if he wins, oh boy that would be huge for his career. Although... I guess it could be a win/win/lose... a loss in the sense that he might eat an Overeem knee and end up eating out of a straw for the rest of his life.

I'm frightened that Overeem is going to seriously injure someone with one of his knees in the clinch.

Spawn is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 12:46 PM
  #114
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So Duffee goes from getting cut from the UFC to fighting Overeem in his next bout on New Years Eve.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/2...ial-for-dynam/

Interesting decision for Duffee really sort of a no lose situation for him in one sense. He gets paid 60k to fight if he loses it's no big deal, everyone expected it of him, but if he wins, oh boy that would be huge for his career. Although... I guess it could be a win/win/lose... a loss in the sense that he might eat an Overeem knee and end up eating out of a straw for the rest of his life.

I'm frightened that Overeem is going to seriously injure someone with one of his knees in the clinch.

I hope Duffee's done a lot of work on his striking defence. I don't know how Overeem would handle the ground game, other than his incredible power and endurance would serve him well...Overeem is a K1 champion, and if Duffee eats a knee to the face or a strong cro-cop type leg kick it'll be over pretty quickly.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
  #115
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Yeah at least in the short term it looks like the timing was right for Duffee to land on his feet.


A few side notes:

- Main event for UFC Fight Night heavily rumoured to be Anthony "Rumble" Johnson vs. Dan Hardy. Seems like most of Anthony Johnsons UFC career so far has been on Fight Night tv events.

- Nick Diaz signs a new multi-fight deal with Strikeforce.

- Former WEC champ Jamie Varner released by the UFC.

- Interesting that the prelim fights for UFC 125 will be on ION television in the States.

- I meant to post this earlier. But the UFC 129 event in Toronto at the Rogers Center. Apparently sold out in less than 2 hours. That does not beat UFC 115 in Vancouver at GM Place. Which reportedly sold out in 30 minutes!

- Trevor Prangley vs. undefeated Roger Gracie recently added to the Jan. 29 Strikeforce event. The main event will be Nick Diaz vs. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos. Love watching Diaz fight.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 01:18 PM
  #116
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah I still can not help but feel it will hurt those divisions overall. It is not like those weight classes get their own UFC shows or events.

Early returns would seem to suggest there will not be more UFC events as you suggest.

They now just get added to a new roster that is absolutely busting with endless amounts of fighters across all the weight classes and all are hoping for a spot on those UFC shows.
White has said that they will put on 30-31 shows this year. The WEC/UFC put on a combined 32 events last year. The fighters themselves are ecstatic about this move. Instead of competing for 10,000 bonuses, they will be competing for 60,000 bonuses and their base salary is higher. The one downside so far seems to be that a lot of high quality upcoming BW and FW bouts are going to be on prelims.


Last edited by The Rage: 12-29-2010 at 01:24 PM.
The Rage is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
  #117
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
White has said that they will put on 30-31 shows this year. The WEC/UFC put on a combined 32 events last year. The fighters themselves are ecstatic about this move. Instead of competing for 10,000 bonuses, they will be competing for 60,000 bonuses and their base salary is higher. The one downside so far seems to be that a lot of high quality ucoming BW and FW bouts are going to be on prelims.

They just don't have anywhere better to put them on the first few cards, I suspect we'll see the lightest divisions neck and neck with the heavier ones for premium card spots by the middle of the new year.

It'll speed up once some of those prelim fights win fight of the night nods and get PPV time as the added broadcasted fights.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
  #118
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I don't blame White for not promising more t.v. programs when he doesn't have anything planned, and, personally, I think only the lightweight division (WEC's) will be adversly affected...suddenly, all those lightweight fighters have to compete with the UFC's, and that will likely see a lot of adjustments and cuts.

On the other hand, Other than a few of the smaller lightweights cutting down, the smaller divisions can only benefit from access to the UFC brand to bring in more of the talent in the other regional shows and make those divisions even more exciting.

Ultimately I think the lighter divisions will beef up a lot of the 'filler' cards the UFC tends to put on, such as UFC 122 which was a bit of a stinker overall. I think, for too long, the guys in the heavier divisions have seen the benefit of not having to compete for primetime fight slots, and despite the obvious risk of getting cut from the UFC (which dana is pretty ruthless about at times) I think a lot of those fighters keep getting on the PPV card simply because there aren't any other fights available. The lighter divisions give Zuffa the opportunity to pick and choose higher quality undercard fights to put on for not just the in-house audience, but the PPV audience and force those guys looking for the prime-time exposure for sponsors and fame to step up and prove they deserve it over the newcomers.

Plus, the extra divisions will mean a lot more of the PPV cards will 'matter'. Now you've got: Flyweight (potentially), featherweight, bantamweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight.

Assuming a title fight in those divisions only happens once per year, that's 8 title cards per year. If you assume that, say, half those titles are fought for twice (injury is always a factor, just look at shogun being out) that's 12 title cards per year.

Based on this year having 17 PPV events, that's a significantl portion of the PPV cards having direct title fights, with a free event thrown in and maybe a few fillers for #1 contender fights.

That's a signficant step up in card quality on its own.

That's all speculation on my part of course, but the UFC's cards could improve dramatically with the increased number of titles and top-flight fighters available. There will be cuts, and some otherwise good fighters will be forced to fight on lesser-promotion's cards, but the UFC product should improve.
I think an average of 2 title fights per weight class is the most accurate expectation. Very occaisonally is a title fight on the shelf for a year, and for every one of those, there will likely be a title that is fought for three times (like BW this past year). At worst, I would assume 1.8 title fights per weight class.

The Rage is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 01:28 PM
  #119
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Anyone else notice that the 125 UFC prelims are on sportsnet east and ontario, but are not on sportsnet west or sportsnet one? They are showing a tape delayed premiership game instead, and a pretty low profile affair at that. I am not impressed, as sportsnet needs to make sure that if they have access to a popular item like UFC fights that it should be available across the country now that they have a second network. This is just poor organizing.

The Rage is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
  #120
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I think an average of 2 title fights per weight class is the most accurate expectation. Very occaisonally is a title fight on the shelf for a year, and for every one of those, there will likely be a title that is fought for three times (like BW this past year). At worst, I would assume 1.8 title fights per weight class.
I agree, I am just thinking along the lines of what shogun is going through right now, as well as Aldo who is also currently sidelined with an injury.

2 title fights per year, if it's possible, is a fantastic number of relevant cards and that increases the potential entertainment value of the PPVs for next year and long-term. That doesn't always guarantee good cards or good fights of course, but the non-title cards tend to be the hardest to watch, regardless of them being ppv or a free broadcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Anyone else notice that the 125 UFC prelims are on sportsnet east and ontario, but are not on sportsnet west or sportsnet one? They are showing a tape delayed premiership game instead, and a pretty low profile affair at that. I am not impressed, as sportsnet needs to make sure that if they have access to a popular item like UFC fights that it should be available across the country now that they have a second network. This is just poor organizing.

agreed, hopefully they'll make something available before the show. I want to see as many of these fights as possible as I am a big fan of this undercard.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 10:55 PM
  #121
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
A few side notes:

- Nick Diaz signs a new multi-fight deal with Strikeforce.
Strikeforce just announced a new multi-fight deal for Robbie Lawler. Two of my fave Strikeforce fighters locked up to new deals. I like, I like.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
12-29-2010, 11:31 PM
  #122
twisted by dezign
Registered User
 
twisted by dezign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I hope Duffee's done a lot of work on his striking defence. I don't know how Overeem would handle the ground game, other than his incredible power and endurance would serve him well...Overeem is a K1 champion, and if Duffee eats a knee to the face or a strong cro-cop type leg kick it'll be over pretty quickly.
Overeem has an underrated ground game. He did win the ADCC European Qualifiers in 2005 and most of his victories are by submission.

twisted by dezign is offline  
Old
12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
  #123
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted by dezign View Post
Overeem has an underrated ground game. He did win the ADCC European Qualifiers in 2005 and most of his victories are by submission.

I've seen snippets of his grappling, and it always looks good, but I've seen him in a predominantly K1 setting.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Old
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
  #124
twisted by dezign
Registered User
 
twisted by dezign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I've seen snippets of his grappling, and it always looks good, but I've seen him in a predominantly K1 setting.
He has really focused on his striking as of late and has improved tremendously. That man is scary.

twisted by dezign is offline  
Old
12-30-2010, 12:15 AM
  #125
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted by dezign View Post
He has really focused on his striking as of late and has improved tremendously. That man is scary.

He's a ridiculous kickboxer now. Getting to the pinnacle of K1 is no joke.

CanadianCommie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.