HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So after last year's success, can you tell me if the Habs have gotten better?

Old
12-29-2010, 03:40 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gomez is the only one of the 3 that's overpaid. If you compare with guys of similar production, 5-6 mil is the range for those players.
I'm not gonna get into this much further, but everyone and their dog knew Gionta was overpaid at the time of the signing. He had a great year last year.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

We may not be better on paper and we may be in the midst of a bad slump, but we've played much, much better overall than we did last year.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times that we outplayed the opposition last year, it just didn't happen. That hasn't been the case most of the season with this squad. I'm not sure what caused the change but I'd take how we've played this year over last in a heartbeat.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:11 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So the problem is the 3rd best scorer and 2 guys that make a combine 1,4mil and play marginal minutes ?

Who cares that we have a ****** 2nd line centre who has a cap hit of 7,3mil, a "sniper" who can't get 30 goals a year that is paid 6mil and is soft as butter or a 36yo defenceman who can't play physical, can't score goals and struggle defensively and is paid 3,8mil or that our only star player, paid 5,75mil, can't play more than 10 games a year.

Yeah, right, replace AK, Lapierre and Darche and we'll win the cup... the problem is simple : too much money on small talent limited forwards and a soft defence who's missing their General.

This team needs a major shake-up if it ever wants to be a real contender (last year was a total fluke, btw).
I agree with some of your thoughts here. What I was saying in my rather lengthy post was 3 things:

1. I am leaving the D out of the discussion for now. Yes there are problems, you are correct. But I think we have even bigger problems up front.

2. I thought 230-250 goals was realistic, ( I never said 258 goals was realistic, no way.) without significant injuries. The rate they are at now is very disappointing.

3. I do not think Gomer, Cammy and Gio are the problem. They WILL perform. The problem is that we need a true 30 goal sniper on 1 line RW, and we need way better role players on line 3 and 4. Darche and Lappy do not cut it, and it makes a bigger difference than most realize.

I still believe we need to trade for a tough veteran 15 goal third line guy at the deadline, and we need to drop Lappy for White. And I think we will see both of these things happen. Lappy was down to 4 minutes against the Caps, he's running out of time. And Martin HAS to get AK going, as I don't think it will be possible for us to get that first line sniper we need this year.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I agree with some of your thoughts here. What I was saying in my rather lengthy post was 3 things:

1. I am leaving the D out of the discussion for now. Yes there are problems, you are correct. But I think we have even bigger problems up front.

2. I thought 230-250 goals was realistic, ( I never said 258 goals was realistic, no way.) without significant injuries. The rate they are at now is very disappointing.

3. I do not think Gomer, Cammy and Gio are the problem. They WILL perform. The problem is that we need a true 30 goal sniper on 1 line RW, and we need way better role players on line 3 and 4. Darche and Lappy do not cut it, and it makes a bigger difference than most realize.

I still believe we need to trade for a tough veteran 15 goal third line guy at the deadline, and we need to drop Lappy for White. And I think we will see both of these things happen. Lappy was down to 4 minutes against the Caps, he's running out of time. And Martin HAS to get AK going, as I don't think it will be possible for us to get that first line sniper we need this year.
I don't agree with 1, 2, or 3. You lose credibility immediately if you think that the D hasn't been the biggest problem. This time the Habs aren't ccompensating for the loss of Markov.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote