HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38 - 12.29.2010 | New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-29-2010, 11:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
We did the same thing last season, but with a better record.

A goalie's job is to keep his team in the game; Give his team a chance to win. He's gone above and beyond since day 1. He's an absolute superstar worthy of his nickname. As valuable as almost any player in the league. When he has an off-night, Ranger fans should look in the mirrow and ask themselves how capable they are at their much, much, much easier profession.

Team battled tonight though. Rough 1st period, but they came to play. I think the Devils would have outplayed almost any team tonight after what they just went through. Not too concerned about that. Not taking anything way from Hank, but I think the Win was deserving.
This. I dislike seeing "Hank stole us a win" with negative undertones, because that's exactly what and elite goalie can and should do.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
NJ gets to decide which of its next 4 first round picks it will forfeit. What a stupid penalty imo. If the punishment was a 1st rounder it should have been this years (2011.) The NHL is just dumb. Anyway, looks like the Devils won't be giving up this one. lol
yea that is really stupid. makes absolutely no sense. this is the year they should have been penalized.

NikC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
ohbaby

I thought the Rangers played well tonight. Don't know why all of you think otherwise.

After getting outplayed in the first,... and give the Devils credit, they came out flying,... The Rangers got into it, created some offense and really clamped the door shut in the 3rd. They started slow, but finished really strong. Not sure what the stats are but we play really well in the 2nd half of games,... and last night was no exception. Strong finishes are our strength, our trademark. The 3rd period is our period. This is where games are won and we own the 3rd periods. And last nite was a classic example of how to shut down a team in the 3rd. We didn't allow the Debbies to enter the neutral zone, much less our zone for much of the period.

The Rangers are showing what it takes to be a good team even when they are not scoring 7 goals a game. To a man, they played great defensively as the game progressed and shut the door late in the game.

There were maybe 3 or 4 breakdowns on D the whole night. The goal, the breakaway, the 2 on 1 broken up by Sauer, and what else....

Yes,.. Hank was on his game but he got help in the 3rd as the team infront only allowed 8 SOG.

This was a classic Rangers win.

Most noticeable players tonight,... Boyle, Arty, Prust, Dubi, Sauer, Eminger, Staal, Rosy, Girardi, Step, Gabby, Avery. Am I missing anyone? Oh yeah,.... Drury was very noticeable going to the box with less than 4 minutes left.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This. I dislike seeing "Hank stole us a win" with negative undertones, because that's exactly what and elite goalie can and should do.
how are there negative overtones when its the truth? i mean should i say it all happy like? lol

we didnt play AWFUL, but we were outplayed for the vast majority of this game. Henrik stole us 2 points. The better team, tonight, didn't win. Lets also not forget that the Devils somehow missed 3 wide open nets (Arnott twice, Tedenby once)

Last edited by Inferno: 12-30-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:24 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Crazy stat update: NYR are 8-10-1 when outshooting or even in shots with opponent and are 14-4-1 when being outshot by opponent

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:25 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
how are there negative overtones when its the truth? i mean should i say it all happy like? lol

we didnt play AWFUL, but we were outplayed for the vast majority of this game. Henrik stole us 2 points. The better team, tonight, didn't win.
They were better for the first and some of the second. We outplayed them in the third.

And IDK, it just sounds bitter to me when people say "Hank stole us a win!"

I'm happy everytime Hank steals a win. It shows he's elite.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Crazy stat update: NYR are 8-10-1 when outshooting or even in shots with opponent and are 14-4-1 when being outshot by opponent
Its like pass attempts in football. More shots mean we are trying to come back. Less shots mean we are protecting a lead. I dunno, its a theory.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Its like pass attempts in football. More shots mean we are trying to come back. Less shots mean we are protecting a lead. I dunno, its a theory.
That's true to an extent.

For example, let's say you have a 5 on 3 power play with 60 seconds to go and a 1 goal lead.

If I were the coach I would tell them not to shoot, just cycle the puck and kill the clock. Shooting has a chance of resulting in a rebound that can result in a breakaway. Cycling the puck in a 5 on 3 situation makes it virtually impossible for the other team to even touch the puck.

Of course this happens to a lesser extent in less extreme situations. Just look at our 4 minute PP today. We had 2 d-men on it, why? because we're protecting a 1 goal lead. If we were down by 1 goal there's a good chance we have 5 forwards on the PP. Might as well gamble to tie it since losing by 2 is the same result as losing by 1.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:46 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You want a revelant stat, one that really means something.

Rangers Record Leading After 1st Period... 10-1

Rangers Record Leading After 2nd Period... 16-0

Rangers are a shut down machine.

Last edited by ohbaby: 12-30-2010 at 12:57 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Pizza

I was hoping they would ice it during that long power play. After the game it occurred to me that even though they did not put it away on the PP...

....they still won. Ugly but still a win. I'll take it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:05 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

And they have the best win % when trailing after 2.

Comeback kids!

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Good game guys. Hank was impressive as usual against us.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:56 AM
lbrowne

Boyle with a fantastic night.

Henrik came away with a King's ransom, seriously he stole the show.

Surprised Volchenkov never called for a penalty on Dubi, he clearly hit him before the the puck was there, lesser has been called this season in the NHL on a similar play.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I'd like to point out that the devils are 0.28 and so are the NJ nets

the nets playing in that building really dragged them down

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Rangers did not deserve 2 points tonight. Henrik stole us a win.
Wrong...the Debbies outplayed the Rangers in the 1st, and the Rangers were the better team in the 3rd. The Debbies weren't the better team for the full 60 minutes. The PK was also excellent. Was it the Rangers best performance? No, but, it's the sign of a good team when you can win without your best team performance.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Michael Sauer was once again very good. It's not just the superb play he made on the 2-on-1. He doesn't get outmuscled for the puck, even against a strong player like Zubrus. He wins puck battles. He will be the 2nd pairing D-man next year, hopefully partnering with MDZ, allowing MDZ to have a safety net.

Old
12-30-2010, 07:15 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Michael Sauer was once again very good. It's not just the superb play he made on the 2-on-1. He doesn't get outmuscled for the puck, even against a strong player like Zubrus. He wins puck battles. He will be the 2nd pairing D-man next year, hopefully partnering with MDZ, allowing MDZ to have a safety net.
Leading the team in +/- at +12.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
Leading all rookies as well.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:29 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

TRAP

Courtesy of some debbie fans

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post

It is so rewarding watching the young players develop into quality contributors. Boyle is really doing work.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:06 AM
GAGLine

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=301229011

Quote:
Since the start of the 2007-08 season, New Jersey has lost 20 of 28 meetings with New York.
My, how the worm has turned.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

we didnt play AWFUL, but we were outplayed for the vast majority of this game. Henrik stole us 2 points. The better team, tonight, didn't win. Lets also not forget that the Devils somehow missed 3 wide open nets (Arnott twice, Tedenby once)
I can't follow the logic that excellent goaltending is a negative if it's not coupled with a letter-perfect evening for the skaters. Isn't the team's best player supposed to carry the team to victory on some nights?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm really glad Sauer finally got healthy enough and got a shot...I really liked him as a prospect for awhile but it just seemed like he'd never get his shot with his injury troubles. Definitely having a nice rookie season

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Was it really an easy win? We looked to be on the ropes for much of the game. And our goals were pretty flukey.
Let me re-phrase it, that was an easy 2 points. Even with the Devils playing their best game of the year and us having at best a mediocre night, we walk away with the win. That's how low the Devils have sunk.

I really hope this was just a holiday hangover and we come out much more physical and aggressive next game.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm really glad Sauer finally got healthy enough and got a shot...I really liked him as a prospect for awhile but it just seemed like he'd never get his shot with his injury troubles. Definitely having a nice rookie season
Agreed...I've been a big Sauer fan since he was drafted. But, when he didn't even get a shot in camp of 2009, I thought his days in this organization might be over. You watch him, and you see the same defensive awareness that Staal has, but, with more of a physical edge and mean streak.