HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vincent Lecavalier

Old
12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
still that high????
Someone would have to be high to want him...
about the only person in the league with a worse contract then gomerpile.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
The Right Price

vCash: 500
Fact: we should have tanked baadly that season when Vinny was avalaible in the draft..

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Look we all wanted to believe that one of our own would jump at the chance to lead the Hab. Fact in Vinny loves it in Palm trees and golf. He had the chance and at the very last minute HE refused to come to the Habs in that trade. He turned his back and walked away from this trade. He has it easy in Tampa. Great money, nice life, only a few know who he is. Anybody thinking that Vinny was going to come back to his roots, his people, his country was sadly mistaken. You have to live with your decisions and he chose his comfort over his people. Tampa can keep him now, I don't want a guy that walks away from his own like this. If your in a foxhole this is NOT the guy you want at your back.
Hilarious post

But to be a bit serious, Vinny is happy in Tampa, we are happy with Vinny (now as he seems to finally be free from injuries) and you guys will do fine without him

12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Ugh at the thread topic.

I'd take Lecavalier over Gomez though. And no, not because he's French cause I'm not French so I could care less. Lecavalier is just a better player, in my opinion. He only costs a couple thousand more, and even though his contract is longer, there is no guarantee he sticks out till he's 39-40.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Ugh at the thread topic.

I'd take Lecavalier over Gomez though. And no, not because he's French cause I'm not French so I could care less. Lecavalier is just a better player, in my opinion. He only costs a couple thousand more, and even though his contract is longer, there is no guarantee he sticks out till he's 39-40.
The length of Lecavalier's contract makes it VERY risky. He's 30 and should be in his prime, but this is the 3rd year in a row that he is producing at a 70 point or less pace. That would be fine at 5 mil for another 3-4 years...but when you have a 7.7 mil cap hit for another 9+ years.

As I said earlier, the only way I'd take taht chance is if it was Gomez + not much more for Vinnie.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:26 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Ugh at the thread topic.

Forgetting contracts, I would take Lecavalier over Gomez in a heartbeat. I think most would. But as bad as Gomez's contract is, Lecavalier's is a disaster. At least Gomez has been healthy most of his career and only has 4 years left. Lecavalier has a bigger cap hit, bigger salary, longer term, and has had multiple surgeries the last few years...it's really not worth the extra points he'd put up.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:30 AM
WestIslander

I would take Lecavalier over Gomez any day, month or year!

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Lecavalier - Gionta

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
JaymzB

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters what Vinny thinks. No Income Tax in FLA = Vinny never wanting to leave. Pretty simple really.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would take Lecavalier over Gomez any day, month or year!

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Lecavalier - Gionta
The problem is that it wouldn't just be Gomez for Lecavalier, you also have to take Vinnie's contract which is an albatross...7.7 cap hit for 9 more years. Gomez is a UFA after 3 more and his salary drops dramatically after next year making him tradeable. Plus, TB would probably want young assets thrown in.

Old
12-30-2010, 09:52 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
The problem is that it wouldn't just be Gomez for Lecavalier, you also have to take Vinnie's contract which is an albatross...7.7 cap hit for 9 more years. Gomez is a UFA after 3 more and his salary drops dramatically after next year making him tradeable. Plus, TB would probably want young assets thrown in.
If Tampa wants to do a 1 for 1 deal, Gomez for Lecavalier I think that 80% of Habs fan would ne happy.

Besides that, I think Lecavalier brings way more to the table than Gomez does.

more...

- Leadership
- Scoring ability
- Grit
- Play making
- Etc.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters what Vinny thinks. No Income Tax in FLA = Vinny never wanting to leave. Pretty simple really.
Yeah it's like hrmmmm 7.5 million a year for 9 years or 4 million a year for 9 years.

Hrmmm nice weather, almost total anonymity, no pressure... or **** weather most of the season, no freedom/privacy, way more pressure and fans who want to crucify him the minute he goes on a slump?

Must have been a real tough decision

All I can say is that if he was willing to consider losing all that money in order to play here but then thought about the latter part of my statement and didn't, shame on you fans and media.

PS: To the people who keep making comments such as "we could dump Gomez for a low pick" no we couldn't. I don't know how much more clear I can be about how untrue that is. You would have to give up at least a low pick just to get somebody to take him if that, nevermind somebody giving up a pick for him

Dream world pipe dream fantasy sorry to tell you. And to those of you saying we could get rid of him when his cap hit is 5 to a team that needs a center and has tons of cap space, 90% of the teams with tons of cap space are there because they can't afford to spend to the cap not because they want to have all that free space and the ones that do have all that free space certainly don't want to give up assets in order to acquire Gomez even if his cap hit is 5 million in the remaining years, it's called July 1st and there are always plenty of players available who will go for 5 million cap hit who are better than Gomez.

As a Gomez fan even I know this. He's a 4-4.5 million dollar player max that during a lucky period got overpaid. Nobody is going to trade assets to have a guy like him for two years at 5 million and frankly they'd have to give up 7.5 million dollars anyways in terms of finances. What team in the cap basement would do that? They're there because they can only afford to be and the ones that can afford to do better are biding their time saving that money for a guy like Richards etc not crossing their fingers that Gauthier gives them Gomez for a 5th round pick.

I know a lot of you don't like Gomez but it won't ever happen nor would Gauthier even attempt to trade him. He's part of this team whether you like it or not and no delusional fantasy world is going to change that. Sorry to say but thinking a team will take Gomer at any point in time aside from dead line deal in his final year is bordering on delusional.

Last edited by neofury*: 12-30-2010 at 10:08 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
couris

gomez for lecavalier

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Vinny sucks now. His career is finished. He's injury prone, he's soft, and he doesn't care. He has his cup ring and his millions and millions of dollars. He hasn't been the same ever since.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
still that high????
Someone would have to be high to want him...
about the only person in the league with a worse contract then gomerpile.
Well there is Redden playing in the AHL at 6+ a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
gomez for lecavalier
Same amount of years left on the contract, absolutely, contracts they have now, absolutely not, I'd rather keep Gomez and we are free with plenty of cash in 3 years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
xposbrad

Wouldn't go anywhere near Vinny's contract. Tampa is now stuck with him and thankfully we never did a trade for him.

Richards will put up better numbers, and is probably going to be signed to a friendlier contract. There are always players going to FA that will put up better numbers and could be signed to shorter contracts.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well there is Redden playing in the AHL at 6+ a year
touche!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Ugh at the thread topic.

Vinny's better but he's not that much better at this point. He's a shadow of his former self.

We're better off with neither and for that reason, I'll take the guy with the shorter contract.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If Tampa wants to do a 1 for 1 deal, Gomez for Lecavalier I think that 80% of Habs fan would ne happy.

Besides that, I think Lecavalier brings way more to the table than Gomez does.

more...

- Leadership
- Scoring ability
- Grit
- Play making
- Etc.
If Lecavalier had more grit than Gomez he would be putting up more than 70 points a year, that speaks to both grit and leadership.

Scoring, yes, Lecavalier is way ahead of gomez there, better shooter and shoots a lot more, he is also a lot bigger.

Better playmaking?? Are you serious? Gomez has played for 3 of the most defensive teams in New Jersey Montreal and NYR, Vinnie has played on a run and gun team most of his career yet...

Gomez 819 GP 489 A 0.60 Assist per game
Vinnie 890 GP 421 A 0.48 Assist per game

Vinnie has more ability than Gomez, superstar ability, but he is producing well below that, you have to ask yourself why?

Old
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah it's like hrmmmm 7.5 million a year for 9 years or 4 million a year for 9 years.

Hrmmm nice weather, almost total anonymity, no pressure... or **** weather most of the season, no freedom/privacy, way more pressure and fans who want to crucify him the minute he goes on a slump?

Must have been a real tough decision

All I can say is that if he was willing to consider losing all that money in order to play here but then thought about the latter part of my statement and didn't, shame on you fans and media.

PS: To the people who keep making comments such as "we could dump Gomez for a low pick" no we couldn't. I don't know how much more clear I can be about how untrue that is. You would have to give up at least a low pick just to get somebody to take him if that, nevermind somebody giving up a pick for him

Dream world pipe dream fantasy sorry to tell you. And to those of you saying we could get rid of him when his cap hit is 5 to a team that needs a center and has tons of cap space, 90% of the teams with tons of cap space are there because they can't afford to spend to the cap not because they want to have all that free space and the ones that do have all that free space certainly don't want to give up assets in order to acquire Gomez even if his cap hit is 5 million in the remaining years, it's called July 1st and there are always plenty of players available who will go for 5 million cap hit who are better than Gomez.

As a Gomez fan even I know this. He's a 4-4.5 million dollar player max that during a lucky period got overpaid. Nobody is going to trade assets to have a guy like him for two years at 5 million and frankly they'd have to give up 7.5 million dollars anyways in terms of finances. What team in the cap basement would do that? They're there because they can only afford to be and the ones that can afford to do better are biding their time saving that money for a guy like Richards etc not crossing their fingers that Gauthier gives them Gomez for a 5th round pick.

I know a lot of you don't like Gomez but it won't ever happen nor would Gauthier even attempt to trade him. He's part of this team whether you like it or not and no delusional fantasy world is going to change that. Sorry to say but thinking a team will take Gomer at any point in time aside from dead line deal in his final year is bordering on delusional.
After next season I think you'd see teams interested in a guy like Gomez if he can produce at the 60+ point level. For 10-12 teams the salary cap doesn't matter much as they only spend 40-45 mil. It then becomes a question of is he worth 10 mil for 2 years. in salary.

Old
12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
walsy37

Ah just what we needed, another Vinny thread. What's it been like 3 weeks?

The best part of getting Gomez is that his contract makes it impossible to pick up Vinny. Vinny is a shadow of what he was a couple of years ago and he has quite possibly the worst post-lockout contract. Another 9 years at 7 mil cap. That is just poor management. Any Habs fan that wants that is not really a fan of the team but is either not following hockey or simply a blinded Vinny fan.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ugh at the thread topic.

It's not just about his contract simply being longer. Gomez will be out of here (or perhaps stay with a huge, huge paycut and smaller role) in 3 years at the longest. Vinny has another 10 (Yes, TEN!) years on his contract.
Sure, he might retire before, but it won't happen within three years. He's also on the decline and has trouble keeping a pt/gp pace. In a few years from now, his production might drop down to what Gomez is actually now doing.

I guess we'll see how he ends up playing now that he's apparently completely healed, but I have no interest in Vinny.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote