HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Those throwback jerseys are as expensive as **** for some reason.
Because people think it's so cool they'll pay for it. Maybe it's got something to do with licensing old logos or something too.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:12 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
If I had any money after paying all my bills or if I actually got anything for Christmas from any of the poor/cheap ******** in my immediate family or my girlfriend then I would have went with a throwback 80's Lee jersey.
Throwbacks? Meh.

I barely like the Sunday creme jersey. Our aways are ok, but our Home jersey is awesome. One of my favorite baseball jerseys is our home. Classic pinstripes and the Phils logo. Plain, simple, clean but it looks pretty sharp.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Throwbacks? Meh.

I barely like the Sunday creme jersey. Our aways are ok, but our Home jersey is awesome. One of my favorite baseball jerseys is our home. Classic pinstripes and the Phils logo. Plain, simple, clean but it looks pretty sharp.
Yeah. I can't bring myself to ever buy an Away jersey or that throwback that they only wore once against the Brewers. I have my Halladay and Lee home jerseys, Hamels gold stitched Opening Day 2009, and a Alternate Utley. I considered getting a Halladay away since I was at the Perfect Game and that'll always be something special.

On another note I was discussing it with my dad the other day. How many people would you guys say can honestly say they were at Halladay's Perfect Game and his No-Hitter?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Yeah. I can't bring myself to ever buy an Away jersey or that throwback that they only wore once against the Brewers. I have my Halladay and Lee home jerseys, Hamels gold stitched Opening Day 2009, and a Alternate Utley. I considered getting a Halladay away since I was at the Perfect Game and that'll always be something special.

On another note I was discussing it with my dad the other day. How many people would you guys say can honestly say they were at Halladay's Perfect Game and his No-Hitter?
I doubt more than a handful since the perfect game was in Florida.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
I doubt more than a handful since the perfect game was in Florida.
My exact thoughts. I attended both so i'll always have that to think about. I'd say maybe 15.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
My exact thoughts. I attended both so i'll always have that to think about. I'd say maybe 15.
Between the perfect game being played in Florida (notorious for empty seats) and the no hitter being played in a postseason game (more expensive tickets) I would think that 15 is very high.

My over/under would be 6.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:19 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Between the perfect game being played in Florida (notorious for empty seats) and the no hitter being played in a postseason game (more expensive tickets) I would think that 15 is very high.

My over/under would be 6.
And that includes the broadcast team.

Old
12-30-2010, 03:34 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
And that includes the broadcast team.
Oh, haha, I forgot about the broadcast team. Between radio/TV personalities, cameramen, sound guys, etc. that might be 30 guys right there.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Oh, haha, I forgot about the broadcast team. Between radio/TV personalities, cameramen, sound guys, etc. that might be 30 guys right there.
I'd leave it at six. Florida's attendance is so bad that they probably didn't show up either.

Old
01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Any word on Joe Blanton, Raul Ibanez, or right field? All the stuff I have read said Blanton won't be difficult to trade but he'll have to wait until Pavano goes somewhere. I have also heard that the Phillies don't want to trade Ibanez but would if the right deal came along. As for right field, I have heard nothing at all in quite some time. Anyone have any updates on this or has nothing changed?

Old
01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Any word on Joe Blanton, Raul Ibanez, or right field? All the stuff I have read said Blanton won't be difficult to trade but he'll have to wait until Pavano goes somewhere. I have also heard that the Phillies don't want to trade Ibanez but would if the right deal came along. As for right field, I have heard nothing at all in quite some time. Anyone have any updates on this or has nothing changed?
Phils are basically stuck with the OF until everything shakes out and some vets that are still out there maybe feel a bit desperate. The ideal solution remains for Brown to emerge as a viable starting OF, with some platoon opportunities involving Francisco.

Old
01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Phils are basically stuck with the OF until everything shakes out and some vets that are still out there maybe feel a bit desperate. The ideal solution remains for Brown to emerge as a viable starting OF, with some platoon opportunities involving Francisco.
Yeah a month ago I think any offer for Ibanez would be the right offer because it would mean freeing up cash to re-sign Werth. Now dumping Ibanez would mean thinning out a lineup that is already starting to worry people with their age and lack of production down the stretch (although Ibanez wasn't exactly Mr. Slump-Buster). I think that the Phillies are pretty much banking on Ibanez in left with a Francisco/Brown platoon in right and maybe adding a cheap veteran to come off the bench as plan C. That might not come till the trade deadline though if it happens at all.

Just taking a quick look at the guys that are still out there, there are some interesting options still available but they are all older and would only be a good fit if taken on a 1 year deal at a discount. With the signing of Romero, I think that the Phillies are done making moves aside from eventually trading Blanton. The 5th starter spot and the remaining reliever spots will probably be filled internally and they are so high on Brown that I can't imagine them not giving him a shot to be their every day right fielder.

Old
01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Did Michael Cuddyer ever sign with anyone?

Old
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Did Michael Cuddyer ever sign with anyone?
I don't think so.

edit: Or did he resign? I dunno.

Old
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:

I wasn't at the game, but a few hours before I few down to Orlando with the fam for my vacation on a cruise that would start the next day. A few months before I tried to convince my dad to somehow go down a day earlier and osmehow fly to Miami, and go to that Phils game, I really wished we did. I found out that he pitched a no hitter that night 12:30 on the random Florida broadcast, wouldnt have known for a week if it wasnt actually against the Marlins, .

but AT LEAST I was in Florida for it

Old
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah a month ago I think any offer for Ibanez would be the right offer because it would mean freeing up cash to re-sign Werth. Now dumping Ibanez would mean thinning out a lineup that is already starting to worry people with their age and lack of production down the stretch (although Ibanez wasn't exactly Mr. Slump-Buster). I think that the Phillies are pretty much banking on Ibanez in left with a Francisco/Brown platoon in right and maybe adding a cheap veteran to come off the bench as plan C. That might not come till the trade deadline though if it happens at all.

Just taking a quick look at the guys that are still out there, there are some interesting options still available but they are all older and would only be a good fit if taken on a 1 year deal at a discount. With the signing of Romero, I think that the Phillies are done making moves aside from eventually trading Blanton. The 5th starter spot and the remaining reliever spots will probably be filled internally and they are so high on Brown that I can't imagine them not giving him a shot to be their every day right fielder.
Well, I hope Francisco platoons with Ibanez a fair amount too. You can't hide Brown from lefties entirely if you want him to develop into an everyday hitter (and he handled lefties fine in the minors from what I remember on the stats).

I do expect Ibanez to be better this year. People forget that he had a brutal offseason prior to last year with a couple of surgeries and very little prep time for the season. For an older player, I have to think that took a lot out of him... and once you get into the year, it isn't like you can get back what you lost out on as far as strength & conditioning.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
PhillyCurt12

so remember that time the phillies added lee to an already impressive starting rotation? yeah... good times.

Old
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
so remember that time the phillies added lee to an already impressive starting rotation? yeah... good times.
Halladay
Lee
Oswalt
Hamels

=

BOING!

Old
01-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Justified
Amaro out

too bad the start of the regular season is about 3 months away still.

Old
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/01/03/...ooting/?hpt=T2

Quote:
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (CNN) -- Baltimore Orioles pitcher Alfredo Simon said Monday the shooting death of a 25-year-old man over the weekend was an accident.

"In truth that young man was my friend, like a brother," he said of Michael Esteban Castillo. "It wasn't a thing like we began arguing and I started shooting. It was some accident; it happened by accident," Simon said, speaking at the police station where he turned himself in. "That's why I came here -- to open my soul," he said.

Simon surrendered to Dominican National Police early Monday morning to face murder charges. Simon is also accused of wounding Castillo's 17-year-old brother, Starlin. The injuries to the brother are not life-threatening, police said.

Old
01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Interesting. He originally denied any part in the shooting.

Old
01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I think you are right about that. I am a HUGE fan of Dominic Brown, but what worries me is all those lefties. With Brown in there you have a potential 3-6 of all lefties, depending on what lineup Charlie Manuel goes with. I'd like to see Ibanez get traded for a solid LF, or maybe a prospect or something and sign someone like Austin Kearns, Jose Guillen, or Randy Winn. None of those guys are really all that great, but they aren't that much of a dropoff from Ibanez. Winn has been solid over his career, not a real power threat but a solid average hitter who can steal a bag. Kearns at times had shown he can swing the bat, but has also been bugged by injuries. Guillen is probably the best all around of these guys. I guess we'll see what happens.

Old
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The continuing glut of lefty hitters is going to see another year of inconsistent offense but hopefully a couple players rise to the occasion and put together a consistent season.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The continuing glut of lefty hitters is going to see another year of inconsistent offense but hopefully a couple players rise to the occasion and put together a consistent season.
A lot will still hinge on the switch hitters in Victorino and Rollins. We all know what Rollins needs to do. Frankly, Victorino needs to stop being a turd and embrace being a slap hitter. If those guys can be a little more consistent, I'll be much less worried about the offense.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
A lot will still hinge on the switch hitters in Victorino and Rollins. We all know what Rollins needs to do. Frankly, Victorino needs to stop being a turd and embrace being a slap hitter. If those guys can be a little more consistent, I'll be much less worried about the offense.
At various times, they have both embraced the Major League 2 persona of Willie Mays Hayes.

Closed Thread