HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Parent

Old
12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
It will be 2-3 seasons before the Oilers are "actually" competing with the Canucks.

I would take him.

I think at worst he's a no.7 defenseman on a healthy team. 12-14 minutes. Next season looks like:

Whitney-Gilbert
Peckham-Petry
Smid-Foster
Parent

Where's the harm?

As far as OKC depth goes, if the Oilers claim Parent - Petry would go down at some point.
The potential harm is that you might want that roster spot for a 4 or 5 mil D via UFA/trade this summer. Leaving something like:

Whitney-Gilbert
New Guy-Peckham
Smid-Foster
Petry

instead of the D you've listed above.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Timid Tambi will stay the course with his roster. I don't expect him to do anything to help his team.
Or Parent sucks, and he doesn't have confidence in him helping the team. I mean there is that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I would without a doubt take a chance on him. Pick him up, give him LOTS of ice and see what happens. What have you got to lose? If he comes here and plays horrendous then whatever, cause the guy we had going in for him wouldn't be much better. But if he pans out we got a good young d-man. Part of the problem with some of these young d-men is that they don't get enough ice. Parent could come here and we could pair him with Tammy and that would at the moment be our top d paring. Give him 25 minutes a night and just force feed him ice. He makes a mistake, put him right back out there. What have they got to lose?!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

are the Oilers not at 50 contracts anyway?

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I would without a doubt take a chance on him. Pick him up, give him LOTS of ice and see what happens. What have you got to lose? If he comes here and plays horrendous then whatever, cause the guy we had going in for him wouldn't be much better. But if he pans out we got a good young d-man. Part of the problem with some of these young d-men is that they don't get enough ice. Parent could come here and we could pair him with Tammy and that would at the moment be our top d paring. Give him 25 minutes a night and just force feed him ice. He makes a mistake, put him right back out there. What have they got to lose?!
Why not just do that with Petry or Peckham?

I'm not against bringing in Parent as a fill-in while Whitney is hurt but the idea of handing him top pairing minutes seems a little off.

12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Reign Nateo

He played a decent 12-15 minutes/game in limited time in Vancouver. He's lost all confidence due to bouncing around and injuries the last couple years. Injuries shouldn't be a concern now, he just needs to settle in and play some hockey.

His talent didn't just dissapear, he still has potential to be a steady, stay-at-home guy. Up to the Oilers' brass on what they think, but he's still a worth-while project I think.

Concensus among Canucks fans is that him clearing and spending some time in Manitoba would be best, maybe bringing him up for the playoffs (he'd be subject to re-entry waivers until that point).

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Or Parent sucks, and he doesn't have confidence in him helping the team. I mean there is that.
Could be, but I don't think that that has anything to do with it.

In any which case, I was just making a generalization.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:17 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
The potential harm is that you might want that roster spot for a 4 or 5 mil D via UFA/trade this summer. Leaving something like:

Whitney-Gilbert
New Guy-Peckham
Smid-Foster
Petry

instead of the D you've listed above.
Considering they would have aquired Parent through waivers in the first place, it's not like they couldn't waive him themselves. And with Belle's contract being up, they may want him as depth on the farm (if he doesn't get claimed).

I can't see a mid-season waiver claim/7th defenseman being the reason not to add a legitimate top 4 defenseman in the offseason.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Considering they would have aquired Parent through waivers in the first place, it's not like they couldn't waive him themselves. And with Belle's contract being up, they may want him as depth on the farm (if he doesn't get claimed).

I can't see a mid-season waiver claim/7th defenseman being the reason not to add a legitimate top 4 defenseman in the offseason.
I don't know if it's a good reason either, I'm throwing it out as a possibility that the guy creates a blocking issue since he's on a one way. We might argue that he shouldn't, but it's not impossible that he does.

Personally, I'd like Edmonton to add two top 4 D this summer, not one, but we'll see what happens. After this year's draft, I would imagine the team's focus will be shifting more to the present than it did a year ago.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Then the message to players like Plante, Belle, Petiot, Chorney - all of the defensive prospects in the AHL is that the Oilers would rather give the NHL opportunity and minutes to Parent: a guy that's been traded three times and waived (second time now) before the age of 23, than to them.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
CorpseFX

i only want to get him to see how fast everyone starts belittling him when he makes brutal mistakes in the West.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
leoleo3535

He is not good enough to be in the NHL and not an upgrade of D in the Oil system.
No way will EDM pick him up and pay him $1 million in the AHL.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Pick him up, with injuries to both Whitney and Vandermeer it makes sense to look at another option rather than going with this:

Smid-Gilbert
Peckham-Petry
Strudwick-Foster

Put him in Strudwick's spot, and that's at least going to give you a defence that's not a full out comedy of errors (though it's still highly overmatched).

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Shane Goudie

Sending Ottawa a bag of pucks for Brian Lee would be better at this point I think.

Shane Goudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Seanzie888

I would but the Oilers won't take him. Cost is the only reason to keep him off the team and paying him 1 mil in the AHL, while not terrible (IMO), is probably too much for the Oil. Parent needs a good look from someone but no one seems to have the space on the back end.

Ironically the team that probably needs Parent the most is the team that can't claim him. Lamoriello is probably pulling what's left of his hair off his head, whilst praying that someone does him a favor and claims Rolston.

Seanzie888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Then the message to players like Plante, Belle, Petiot, Chorney - all of the defensive prospects in the AHL is that the Oilers would rather give the NHL opportunity and minutes to Parent: a guy that's been traded three times and waived (second time now) before the age of 23, than to them.
The bolded havent really been helping their cause down in the minors. Petry stood out and is being rewarded. Chorney scored some points last week but is far from impressive. Plante I believe was a healthy scratch one game and Belle hasnt been any better.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Could be, but I don't think that that has anything to do with it.

In any which case, I was just making a generalization.
I know that's why I called it out.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Nope, he sucks.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie888 View Post
I would but the Oilers won't take him. Cost is the only reason to keep him off the team and paying him 1 mil in the AHL, while not terrible (IMO), is probably too much for the Oil. Parent needs a good look from someone but no one seems to have the space on the back end.

Ironically the team that probably needs Parent the most is the team that can't claim him. Lamoriello is probably pulling what's left of his hair off his head, whilst praying that someone does him a favor and claims Rolston.
Petry makes a million dollars when on the big club aswell. Claiming Parent and sending Petry down would actually be a good thing salary wise for the Oilers. They need good Dmen on the farm team. At the moment its looking more like an ECHL team especially with brutal goaltending.

Claiming Parent and waiving Struds or Foster would be the 'Right' move but unlikely to happen.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Oil Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle paajarvi View Post
are the Oilers not at 50 contracts anyway?
47 on capgeek

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Nope, he sucks.
Cant be as bad as JFS

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This would be at worst, a good depth move

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
lakai17

Do it up already Tambo, be the hero!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Why not just do that with Petry or Peckham?

I'm not against bringing in Parent as a fill-in while Whitney is hurt but the idea of handing him top pairing minutes seems a little off.
Parent has more experience than Petry, and has more skill than Peckham. I just believe that a big part of this kids troubles have been because he hasn't been able to have that top 4 role. The reason I say 25 mintues is because I would pair him with Gilbert who would likely be our number 1 d-man.

Old
12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I understand it with Belle...the rest are just horrible examples though bro. Petiot? REALLY? I know you always look to start something on here but that's a reach even for you. Anyways the point is that we should pick him up and give him a top 4 role and see how he pans out. He has never got that chance.