HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brian Boyle

Old
12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Brian Boyle

Rangers fan here coming in peace and I have a few questions about Boyle.

Hes been doing great for us this year, 4th on our team in points with 22 and has 14 goals.

I was a bit upset at the trade at first figuring he was a bust and giving up a third rounder for him was a bit of a waste, so far this year not so much and he has quickly become one of my top 3 favorite players.

Where was Boyle on LA's depth chart when he was traded and as fans were you guys upset to see him traded for a 3rd rounder or was it more of a damn good riddance were happy to get a 3rd rounder, or was there just simply no room for him?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
There was no reason to get upset seeing how he'd probably be an unproductive and nonphysical fourth line center had he remained on the Kings. There is no way he'd be ahead of Kopitar, Stoll or Handzus.

The Brian Boyle project didn't work in LA for many reasons, the Kings didn't know what to do with him and Boyle was a gentle giant. He wasn't the most assertive player in terms of initiating contact or using his size to his advantage. But seeing him in NY, they are giving him more ice time and more of an opportunity to succeed, and he's running with it, so good for him. I didn't see that happening for him in LA.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There was no reason to get upset seeing how he'd probably be an unproductive and nonphysical fourth line center had he remained on the Kings. There is no way he'd be ahead of Kopitar, Stoll or Handzus.

The Brian Boyle project didn't work in LA for many reasons, the Kings didn't know what to do with him and Boyle was a gentle giant. He wasn't the most assertive player in terms of initiating contact or using his size to his advantage. But seeing him in NY, they are giving him more ice time and more of an opportunity to succeed, and he's running with it, so good for him. I didn't see that happening for him in LA.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

appreciate it. Anything else?

Old
12-30-2010, 01:20 AM
outofrange

It was a combination of him being underwhelming and there being no room for him. The coaching staff couldn't get through to him but it looks like he's finally pulled it together and is looking good for you guys. I always liked Boyle and I'm glad he'd doing well. When he was traded I think most fans were kind of glad, since we got a third in return and because it was obvious he needed a fresh start.

The Kings have Kopi-Stoll-Handzus-Lewis now and in the future it's probably Kopi-Schenner-Lokti/Lewis. I don't think he ever really had a chance here once DL took over.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
I don't think he ever really had a chance here once DL took over.
This

Cammalleri, Frolov, Boyle and others where not "Lombardi types" ... neither is Kopitar really, but even Lombardi had Patrick Marleau, in San Jose, so he knew he couldn't ice a team full of ALL "Mike Ricci's" like he'd want. Dustin Brown fits the Lombardi mold very well though. But I digress, congrats on Boyle for finding success in the NHL, most of us that saw him especially at the training camps, knew he had NHL talent, the Kings just didn't handle him right, have room for him, or really want him in the mix is what it boiled down to.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

I remember you'd see flashes of Boyle being amazing followed by 3-5 games where you wondered what the hell he was doing on the ice because he was so clueless. It would make you angry because you could see his talent and then he'd try to catch a shot 4 feet in front of his own goaltender, which he missed and ended up going in the net(think he was scratched for the next 4 games after that one).

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:32 AM
zeppelin97

Boyle, Purcell, Moulson, and probably Moller next. All casualties of not "fitting in".

Hard work and a two-way game is far more valuable than skill here. For example, Brad Richardson excels in Terry's system.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:39 AM
zeppelin97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
I remember you'd see flashes of Boyle being amazing followed by 3-5 games where you wondered what the hell he was doing on the ice because he was so clueless. It would make you angry because you could see his talent and then he'd try to catch a shot 4 feet in front of his own goaltender, which he missed and ended up going in the net(think he was scratched for the next 4 games after that one).
Boils down to inexperience. Just needed to show him some patience, same patience they have afforded Lewis and Richardson. Remember when they sucked? Now everyone is surprised through experience and growing pains, they have developed.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Shellz

I didn't care much that he got traded because it wasn't working out obviously. Who knows if he would be doing the same right now in LA. Good to see him having success with the Rangers.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:17 AM
123slam

**** Brian Boyle. How's that?

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
**** Brian Boyle. How's that?
Immature and useless in response to the op's question.

Brian Boyle and who he was to the org has been discussed in depth on these boards and recently so if you (op) do a search you will find allot of info on him and what happened to him as a King.

Like others have said he is a talented player and I think that allot of us are happy to see him succeed on another NHL team since he wasn't going to ever be given the opportunity to do so as a King.

We have Oscar Moller that you guys can probably pick up for a second or third rounder and if you do you will likely see the same sort of results. Give Slats a call.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Still remains to be seen whether this success will continue for more than a year..but good to see that he's making the best of the chance afforded to him there.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
We have Oscar Moller that you guys can probably pick up for a second or third rounder and if you do you will likely see the same sort of results. Give Slats a call.
Why does everyone keep saying this? Moller is a winger and the Kings are weak at the wing. He is much younger than Boyle was and the Kings are extremely deep at the center position.

The Kings are in the middle of the league in faceoffs with Stoll at 60+%. With Boyle as the #2 center, the Kings would probably be last in the league (NYR are 28th in the league).

Stoll has 21 points and Boyle has 22 points. I would rather have Stoll.

I'm happy for Boyle that he got his opportunity and is being successful. Dean is very good at sending the players to the East and they have a minimal impact to the Kings.

Last edited by Sydor25: 12-30-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Boyle needed a wake up call and a change of scenery. I am glad he is doing well in NY.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:36 AM
KingsFan7824

Would liked to have seen him get things going with the Kings, but when they traded him...meh, alright, so that's done. Good for Boyle. It certainly is a what have you done for me lately situation though. All of a sudden, it's the Kings gave up on Boyle. Anyone saying that last year at this time? Anyone saying it in September? Were the Rangers saying "We've got Boyle!" in September? In October?

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Appreciate the feedback. Im really happy to have him in NY and that happens everywhere, just no room for players.

If you guys want to send Moller over we would be happy to take him off your hands! Ive always thought Moller could be a very good player in the right situation, not that the stacked LA kings wouldnt be the right situation...

Old
12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Would liked to have seen him get things going with the Kings, but when they traded him...meh, alright, so that's done. Good for Boyle. It certainly is a what have you done for me lately situation though. All of a sudden, it's the Kings gave up on Boyle. Anyone saying that last year at this time? Anyone saying it in September? Were the Rangers saying "We've got Boyle!" in September? In October?
As a matter of fact nope. Most Rangers fans including myself at first were pissed we traded a third round pick for a guy who seemed like average fourth line center which at the time the Rangers had plenty of in their system.

And after last years very mediocre season for him most of us were even more upset we made the trade.

This season could be a huge fluke for Boyle however, he went to a skating coach in the off season and really has improved his skating. He has turned into quite the poormans power forward because of his huge improvement in skating. I think hes on pace for like 45-50 points this year and I truly hope we can re-sign him for another 3-4 years at 2-2.5 mil per.

Old
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
This season could be a huge fluke for Boyle however, he went to a skating coach in the off season and really has improved his skating. He has turned into quite the poormans power forward because of his huge improvement in skating. I think hes on pace for like 45-50 points this year and I truly hope we can re-sign him for another 3-4 years at 2-2.5 mil per.
Yeah, when Boyle was drafted he was a huge project. If he did make it, it was probably going to take 4, 5, 6, 7 years. Maybe longer. It's one thing if the GM that drafted him is around that long. Dave Taylor got fired a few years after drafting Boyle, and then Lombardi comes in with his own way of doing things. All things being equal, the new GM(and every GM in the same situation I would imagine) is going to give the player he drafts more of a chance than another player drafted years before he got hired.

Like you said, it happens everywhere. Players come and go. Wrong team, wrong time. Right team, right time. Credit Boyle for improving after being given another chance in a different situation. It's not like the Kings made a bad move. It's not that the Rangers made a great move. It was a trade of a project prospect who had lost value at the time the trade was made. The Kings picked Boyle in the 1st round, and got a 3rd round pick for him. The Kings traded him in 2009, 6 years after he was drafted in 2003, for a pick in the 2010 draft. All the credit goes to Boyle for getting better.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
johnjm22

I actually thought he played OK when he was here. His first stint in the NHL with the Kings was actually pretty impressive. That said, he was getting up there in age, and the depth chart was getting pretty crowded.

Had he been drafted by Lombardi, he probably would have been given more of a chance.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97 View Post
Boils down to inexperience. Just needed to show him some patience, same patience they have afforded Lewis and Richardson. Remember when they sucked? Now everyone is surprised through experience and growing pains, they have developed.
Disagree. We had Boyle for 5 years including his days at Boston College. How much patience do you want for a first rounder?
For every Boyle and Moulson out there, there is a Scott Barney and Yanick Lehoux. Some work out, some don't. There is no need to worry about the guys that we got rid of that turn into something decent.
It could be worse, we could be Calgary and given up on Brett Hull, Marc Savard and Martin St Louis.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this? Moller is a winger and the Kings are weak at the wing. He is much younger than Boyle was and the Kings are extremely deep at the center position.

The Kings are in the middle of the league in faceoffs with Stoll at 60+%. With Boyle as the #2 center, the Kings would probably be last in the league (NYR are 28th in the league).

Stoll has 21 points and Boyle has 22 points. I would rather have Stoll.

I'm happy for Boyle that he got his opportunity and is being successful. Dean is very good at sending the players to the East and they have a minimal impact to the Kings.
Moller becomes an RFA at the end of this season and to date was given a stretch where as a rookie he scored 9 goals while being given time on all four lines, was injured and then only recently saw any significant time with the big club.

He has proven himself to be an NHL ready prospect and we are very weak on the left side. If we have plans for him it would seem that this season would have been an excellent time to start utilizing them.

If Moller were at best a border line prospect then sure, I would have the feeling that we might just wait until next year, resign him and then give him a little more time to make the jump. He isn't a border line prospect and like I have said, he has proven that he deserves his shot at the big club and yet he isn't with it making me believe that he is outside our current overall plan.

This has happened with other players at the exact same time in their contracts and the exact same way. Why would I believe that Moller is going to be dealt with any differently?

I am wrong more often than I probably like at times and I will be very happy to be wrong this time next year if Oscar is resigned to a new deal and in the fold but I can't see any reason to think that I will be.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
This

Cammalleri, Frolov, Boyle and others where not "Lombardi types" ... neither is Kopitar really, but even Lombardi had Patrick Marleau, in San Jose, so he knew he couldn't ice a team full of ALL "Mike Ricci's" like he'd want. Dustin Brown fits the Lombardi mold very well though. But I digress, congrats on Boyle for finding success in the NHL, most of us that saw him especially at the training camps, knew he had NHL talent, the Kings just didn't handle him right, have room for him, or really want him in the mix is what it boiled down to.

I think Kopitar is exactly a "Lombardi Type" as you put it....Maybe not so much in the gritty, playing physical department, but he is the perfect example of a great locker room guy who will always take one for the team....He listens and has gone from an average defender to one of the best 2 way top centers in the game....his own accomplishments take a back seat to the teams overall success and you see it every game when hes playing....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Disagree. We had Boyle for 5 years including his days at Boston College. How much patience do you want for a first rounder?
For every Boyle and Moulson out there, there is a Scott Barney and Yanick Lehoux. Some work out, some don't. There is no need to worry about the guys that we got rid of that turn into something decent.
It could be worse, we could be Calgary and given up on Brett Hull, Marc Savard and Martin St Louis.
Exactly. He spent 6 years being under the Kings umbrella. This is Lewis' fifth year that he's been under the Kings and obviously you can tell that Lewis plays every night. You never got that sense with Boyle. He just didn't compete every night.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:07 AM
triplcrown

I remember Boyle scoring just about every type of goal while
with Manchester in the AHL.

The dude can score, for sure.

We never even tried him on the PP!

If he can continue to play with more passion, focus and intensity,
he should do well in the long run.

Boyle has the strength and hand skills;The improvement he needed to achieve was between the ears.

If he has truly made, or is making, that next mental and emotional step,
the NYR will have a hell of a scorer on their hands.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote