HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Boogaard; concussion?

Old
12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You dress him as a winger like the hawks are doing and if a d goes down or get hurt he is ready to step in. Scott was perfect for ny
Most Blackhawk fans can't wait to get rid of Scott.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Sting do you just comment to set me off or are u in touch with a lot of hawk fans? The guy has had some amazing fights this season and from what I read in the chicago papers and on line the fans like him a lot as do the coaches.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Pretty much.

It's been said. Goons don't win cups. This is 2010, not 1975. The game is different.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Sting do you just comment to set me off or are u in touch with a lot of hawk fans?
Do you comment just to set me off? A lot of young, impressionable hockey fans read these message boards. Someone has to point out your BS and stand up for common sense.

Quote:
The guy has had some amazing fights this season and from what I read in the chicago papers and on line the fans like him a lot as do the coaches.
LOL. Great. I love that, when discussing a hockey player and his value to a team and their fanbase, the first and only thing you point out is how many amazing fights he's had. Too bad it isn't boxing/wrestling/MMA, but this is hockey, and outside of fighting, there's absolutely nothing amazing, or even good, about Scott's game. I'm sure the fans in Chicago who, like you, share a an affinity for watching people hurt one another love Scott. The hockey fans there can't wait to see him replaced with someone who can contribute something.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Pretty much.

It's been said. Goons don't win cups. This is 2010, not 1975. The game is different.
Really? Cause almost every team that has won them other then the wussie wing last 2 have had enforcers on them

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:18 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Really? Cause almost every team that has won them other then the wussie wing last 2 have had enforcers on them
"Wussie Wings". Are you kidding me? Who gives a **** if they don't have any "enforcers", they're the best run franchise in hockey.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 09:20 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Why don't you hop on the flyers bandwagon if that means so much to you, and then watch those "wussie wings" light up philly.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Black Tank

Fact remains almost every team uses cap space and a roster spot on a guy that fills that role. Losing Orr has caused a problem, first with the disastrous Brashear experiment and now with Boogaard's concussion. Hopefully he can bounce back and play with more of an edge than he has shown so far in NY. After all we can't have Brian "second leading goal scorer" Boyle dropping the gloves again.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
XLJ

Boogaard having a concussion history is another reason why you dont give long term deals to enforcers. Sather really messed up giving him a 4 year deal.

Lets face its been mostly Prust and Avery that have been getting into retaliatory fights. Sauer also added some bite to the blueline. Boogaard has been getting into staged fights. He hasn't gone after anybody, he doesn't play with a mean streak and he cant skate so he always misses the player he trys to check and runs into the boards. Boogaard makes Colton Orr look like Gordie Howe.

I like guys like Jared Boll. He can skate, hit and will drop the gloves. Obviously he is not the fighter that guys like Boogaard, Godard, Mac are but he is the type of player that is much more effective in todays nhl. Prust has been a great addition for us because he adds toughness and can still play. Thats why I like Weise. He will add grit and can take a regular shift and not look like an idiot out there.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:55 PM
WillardJFredricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Boogaard having a concussion history is another reason why you dont give long term deals to enforcers. Sather really messed up giving him a 4 year deal.

Lets face its been mostly Prust and Avery that have been getting into retaliatory fights. Sauer also added some bite to the blueline. Boogaard has been getting into staged fights. He hasn't gone after anybody, he doesn't play with a mean streak and he cant skate so he always misses the player he trys to check and runs into the boards. Boogaard makes Colton Orr look like Gordie Howe.

I like guys like Jared Boll. He can skate, hit and will drop the gloves. Obviously he is not the fighter that guys like Boogaard, Godard, Mac are but he is the type of player that is much more effective in todays nhl. Prust has been a great addition for us because he adds toughness and can still play. Thats why I like Weise. He will add grit and can take a regular shift and not look like an idiot out there.
Part of the problem is nobody wants to fight Boogaard. He can't start fights or he'd be banned for life because of the instigator rules. Only when someone like MacIntyre is there who will fight him can he go. If the rules weren't so strict he'd just grab anyone who did something dirty and beat on them, but of course if he did that he'd never play again. It's tough for an enforcer, especially one as tough as Boogaard, to do their jobs anymore.

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
gogreenbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillardJFredricks View Post
If the rules weren't so strict he'd just grab anyone who did something dirty and beat on them, but of course if he did that he'd never play again. It's tough for an enforcer, especially one as tough as Boogaard, to do their jobs anymore.
Agreed. This isn't the game that Gretzky and Mario played. There was a time when you were either expected to be able to handle yourself or you'd have your team pay a guy to watch your back. It was an interesting dimension, something that really set hockey apart from the other professional sports. I'm pretty meh on enforcers and staged fights these days, but I do fervently wish that the league would drop this instigator BS and let the chips fall where they may. You wanna fight? Fine. Fight anyone you want, just like they did in the good old days. If you do something stupid, watch your back because big mean people will be looking for you and coincidental 5s aren't going to stop them from bloodying your face. You could turtle, but then even your home fans boo you. Ahh, the good old days.

gogreenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere on the board or not, but there's a pretty decent 2 or 3 page article and interview with Boogaard in the most recent issue of Men's Journal. Amongst a lot of other interesting stuff, it talks about all the injuries he's sustained from fights and everything. It's not a bad read. Also, I saw in the pregame last night that they were saying he needed to undergo something like a neurological test, so that sounds like concussion territory to me.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

From pre-grame presser:

Quote:
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Tortorella expects Callahan back after All-Star break. No timetable on Prospal or progress with Boogaard.
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Torts: Boogaard still not feeling well. "He's not close."
Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Tortorella reports no improvement for Boogaard. Says it will be "very difficult" for him to return this season.
Things don't look good for the Boogeyman.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
From pre-grame presser:

Things don't look good for the Boogeyman.
wow, the season?

at least he got a goal

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
NYROrtsFan

Again, wouldn't be shocked if we picked up Neil...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:46 PM
clmetsfan

Concussion problems this severe for a goon like Boogaard spell serious trouble. It's one thing for a Lindros to come back, because his primary job was to score goals. But when your SOLE purpose is to get into fights, a concussion susceptibility is more than likely career-ending.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
OverTheCap

Must be a pretty bad concussion if he may be out for the season, and this isn't his first concussion either.

The Boogaard signing may end up being even worse than many anticipated if he is plagued by concussions throughout the duration of his contract. I mean, his role on the team more or less entails that he gets punched in the head. Perhaps Sather will finally learn his lesson and stop wasting contracts on enforcers?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere on the board or not, but there's a pretty decent 2 or 3 page article and interview with Boogaard in the most recent issue of Men's Journal. Amongst a lot of other interesting stuff, it talks about all the injuries he's sustained from fights and everything. It's not a bad read. Also, I saw in the pregame last night that they were saying he needed to undergo something like a neurological test, so that sounds like concussion territory to me.
Here's that article titled "This man wants to break your face"

http://www.mensjournal.com/this-man-...reak-your-face

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Concussion problems this severe for a goon like Boogaard spell serious trouble. It's one thing for a Lindros to come back, because his primary job was to score goals. But when your SOLE purpose is to get into fights, a concussion susceptibility is more than likely career-ending.
Certainly not an easy injury to overcome, but lots of enforcers have numerous concussions and kept at it.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 01-13-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
NYPhoenix

Salary Question regarding Boogaard, if he's supposedly out for the season whats stopping the Rangers from putting him on LTIR? Couldn't Prospal possibly be put on LTIR as well and that cap money be used towards other players? Maybe I just don't fully understand the way LTIR works.

NYPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhoenix View Post
Salary Question regarding Boogaard, if he's supposedly out for the season whats stopping the Rangers from putting him on LTIR? Couldn't Prospal possibly be put on LTIR as well and that cap money be used towards other players? Maybe I just don't fully understand the way LTIR works.
Nothing. We can retroactively place Boogey on LTIR. LTIR allows us to EXCEED the cap by the value accrued on LTIR. Since we're not against the cap, there's no point.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Are you ****ing kidding me. What the hell is with these season ending injuries. I really liked Boogy.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Here's that article titled "This man wants to break your face"

http://www.mensjournal.com/this-man-...reak-your-face
awesome article

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
asparkoflife

Not too upset about this. We dont need him.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
straka91*

I read that him returning to the lineup this season is doubtful, still having head aches and not skating well (I now he wasnt good at skating to begin with). Sucks but what can you do.

Wonder who Sather will get for their hw. He always has one. I really hope he gets Mcgratton.

NYR and Det seem to be a grave yard for enforcers.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote