HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle could be worth Matt Moulson $$$

Old
12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Brian Boyle could be worth Matt Moulson $$$

Trying to find a comparable for Brian Boyle is not easy. Boyle will be a group II who is arbitration eligible this July. Boyle is one year away from being a group III in July 2012. Boyle has become a key player for the Rangers. 38 games played. 14 goals. 22 points. +11. Top PKer. 82 game projection/pace is 30 goals and 47 points.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=3648

David Steckel got $1.1M per. 3 years. Boyle has more goals in 38 games than Steckel has in points over a full season.

Jay McClement got 3 years/$4.35M. $1.45M cap. McClement is good for points in the high 20's. Good role player.

Matt Moulson. 30 goals and 48 points last season. Moulson was a group II. He filed for arbitration. Signed a 1 year/$2.45M deal before the hearing. Moulson will be a group III this summer. Boyle is in the same exact situation. Boyle is on pace for Moulson's offensive numbers. Moulson had 1 very good year and cashed in. Both are former Kings prospects. Offensive players in the NCAA and AHL.

Steckel,McClement and Moulson deals are a combination of group III money and last year of group II money.

Moulson is the best comparable. Boyle's agent will think so. Barb Underhill deserves 20% of whatever Boyle gets. Do the Rangers look at signing Boyle to a 2-3 year deal for around $2M per? Boyle might trade security for less annual salary which is not what Moulson did.

Ryan Callahan will get paid. Regardless of his broken hand,the Rangers will pay him. Torts LOVES him.

Brandon Dubinsky is on pace for a 35 goal and 69 point season. Even with offensive slump until recently. He will get paid

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=3323

Torts has identified both Callahan and Dubinsky as core players.

Artem Anisimov has been identified a core player by Torts.

Michael Sauer has had a solid year so far. Arb eligible.

Not even mentioning Matt Gilroy who is also arb eligible.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm a Boyle believer now. I'm set. I said before in another thread that he can be replaced, he still might, but this is a guy you keep and that I want the team to keep. He seems have a great personality and keeps the team loose. He has so much confidence with everything he does. Confidence is contagious.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
pwoz

Boogaard's situation is not looking good (concussion?) so give Boyle that money.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
John Torturella

I dont think many players a get huge money after a good year. Im close to being sold on him, but not quite there yet. He has to prove this is not a fluke. He probably gets a deal around 2 mill per season, if he continues to create offense.

Last edited by John Torturella: 12-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.
John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:48 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Your post really puts it all into perspective. While going after Richards on July 1st is the first choice for some armchair GM's on here, I'm a little bit hesitant.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and Sauer are all due for raises. The former three are core players, and will get handsome raises next summer, while the latter is working his way into core status.

Boyle is currently on pace to score around 30 goals and finish with 45 points on the season. He's currently making 550K on a two way deal. I'm thinking he'll get at least $2 million if the Rangers choose to keep him, good for at least a $1.5 million raise.

With the raises due to four to five key members of the club, it begs the question of where the money for Richards is coming from. Rozsival will be a valuable commodity to a team on a tight budget looking for defensive help. However, clearing Rozsival's money will go towards bringing back the aforementioned RFA's.

Let the team grow and play together. We're starting to see that strategy pay dividends this season. Fill holes through the draft and modestly priced UFA's when the time is right. If given time, Anisimov and Stepan have the potential to be a fine top 2 center tandem. Time and patience are key here.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:52 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm sold on him solely because he worked his ass off to get better. His skating is much better. The guy wanted to be better and he worked on it over the summer. So its not like this is some fluke season for him. He worked hard and the results show that. He plays hard every game, every shift. He is playing like the power forward that everyone thought he would be.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:54 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I'm sold on him solely because he worked his ass off to get better. His skating is much better. The guy wanted to be better and he worked on it over the summer. So its not like this is some fluke season for him. He worked hard and the results show that. He plays hard every game, every shift. He is playing like the power forward that everyone thought he would be.
This.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

id give him 1.5 for 3 years

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
beastly115

Rangers should hire this Barb Underhill chick to teach the rest of the team how to skate.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
With the raises due to four to five key members of the club, it begs the question of where the money for Richards is coming from. Rozsival will be a valuable commodity to a team on a tight budget looking for defensive help. However, clearing Rozsival's money will go towards bringing back the aforementioned RFA's.
Trade Rozsival & buyout Drury?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
chip chipperson*

3 years 2.5 mil tops

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Trade Rozsival & buyout Drury?
And have $3.5 million in dead cap space for two seasons? I'd rather not.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Matt Moulson. 30 goals and 48 points last season. Moulson was a group II. He filed for arbitration. Signed a 1 year/$2.45M deal before the hearing. Moulson will be a group III this summer. Boyle is in the same exact situation. Boyle is on pace for Moulson's offensive numbers. Moulson had 1 very good year and cashed in. Both are former Kings prospects. Offensive players in the NCAA and AHL.
I'd say $2.45M is probably a number that ensures the Isles reach the cap floor, not necessarily an indicator of Moulson's market value.

Personally, I'd have trouble seeing Boyle get much more than $2M given the other raises due to be handed out this summer.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:38 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
3 years 2.5 mil tops
I'd take that.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Dubinsky and Callahan will each get somewhere between $3 to $3.75 million per year each.

Anisimov will likely get around $1.75 million.

Sauer will get around $1 million.

I can see Boyle getting $1.75 million over three years.

Thats $12 million (If Dubi and Cally get the high end of my prediction) for those five players.

Rangers have $11.45 million coming off the books (Gilroy, Eminger, Prospal, Feds, Frolov, and White). Some of those guys either need to be replaced or brought back.

Really don't see where the money to sign a Brad Richards is coming from.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

I don't think he's worth 2.5 until he can show me he scores 30 goals in 2 straight seasons. Who's to say he'll score 30 this year?

I hope he turns into a 50 goal scorer but I just don't see it, I think he's having a career year, I hope I'm wrong but I don't wanna tie this guy up to a long term deal to something he's not worth. Seen enough of those with Redden, Drury, Gomez, ect...

I guess I'm not sold on him. Sometimes I think my eyes are playing tricks on me when I see Boyle scoring.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Dubinsky and Callahan will each get somewhere between $3 to $3.75 million per year each.

Anisimov will likely get around $1.75 million.

Sauer will get around $1 million.

I can see Boyle getting $1.75 million over three years.

Thats $12 million (If Dubi and Cally get the high end of my prediction) for those five players.

Rangers have $11.45 million coming off the books (Gilroy, Eminger, Prospal, Feds, Frolov, and White). Some of those guys either need to be replaced or brought back.

If you trade Rozsival, and get rid of Boogaard, that's pretty much enough right there. And they have more than that coming off the books, because they also have the money the RFAs are making now coming off the books.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

I'm just about sold on Boyle, he keeps butting up the points and playing solid on the PK I'd have NO problem giving him 1.25~1.75 for 3-4 years i don't think he'll be a ***** about the money, we stuck it out with him he's probably more worried about job security. He's certainly a priority guy to get locked up this offseason.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Thank you!

I personally think Dubinsky, given his known negotiating tenacity and what may turn out to be a very respectable year, may get even more than you posted. This is especially true if Sather wants to buy UFA years, as he did with Staal.

What if Duber and Cally get 4 year deals or more? More money, again.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If you trade Rozsival, and get rid of Boogaard, that's pretty much enough right there. And they have more than that coming off the books, because they also have the money the RFAs are making now coming off the books.
But that's pure speculation. And it doesn't take into account that UAG's numbers may look a little low.

Old
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
And have $3.5 million in dead cap space for two seasons? I'd rather not.
According to Capgeek.com, it's a $3.7 mil cap hit next season, and $1.67 mil cap hit the following season.... Doable, especially considering you're freeing up $3.3 mil in cap space for next year...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I don't think he's worth 2.5 until he can show me he scores 30 goals in 2 straight seasons. Who's to say he'll score 30 this year?

I hope he turns into a 50 goal scorer but I just don't see it, I think he's having a career year, I hope I'm wrong but I don't wanna tie this guy up to a long term deal to something he's not worth. Seen enough of those with Redden, Drury, Gomez, ect...

I guess I'm not sold on him. Sometimes I think my eyes are playing tricks on me when I see Boyle scoring.
To add to my post before, I'm sold on him because of his work ethic. He put in the hard work and he has been rewarded. For any man who struggles for a period of time and had high expectations of him by others, when that person is able to turn it around they pride themselves on how they were able to do it. Boyle is a pretty smart guy from what I've seen so far just by the way he plays and how he carries himself in interviews. Because its taken him so long to get to this point, now that he's finally here I dont see him regressing. Instead I only see him getting better and better, continuing that strong work ethic in the offseasons. Now I'm not saying he should be overpaid for. But I'm willing to see him get locked up long term. His size and strength is exuberant. He is valuable.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:02 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
How are the Rangers getting rid of Boogard? Who in their right minds would take an oft-injured (not to mention concussed) heavyweight with no offensive skill what so ever that has 3 years left at $1.65 million per year?

I hope someone is stupid enough to take him off the Rangers hands.

The raises will cost the Rangers between $6 million and $8 million in addition to the salaries coming off the books for Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Anisimov, and Sauer.

I can see the Rangers bringing back Eminger for around $900K. I can also see them brining back Gilroy, especially if they trade Roszival, because someone has to replace him.

White and Prospal don't really have to be replaced, per say, because they haven't really been in the line-up at all this season. Feds would have to be replaced by a rook for around $850K or so (Weise?).

So $8 million (worst case imo for the raises for Dubi, Cally, Boyle, Sauer, and Anisimov) + $900K (Eminger re-signed) + Weise ($700K / Feds replacement) + $1.3 million (McDonagh / Rozsival replacement) + Gilroy ($1.75 / prob. re-sign for same dollar amount he makes now) - $5 million Roszival trade = $7.65 million increase in salary.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
How are the Rangers getting rid of Boogard? Who in their right minds would take an oft-injured (not to mention concussed) heavyweight with no offensive skill what so ever that has 3 years left at $1.65 million per year?

I hope someone is stupid enough to take him off the Rangers hands.

The raises will cost the Rangers between $6 million and $8 million in addition to the salaries coming off the books for Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Anisimov, and Sauer.

I can see the Rangers bringing back Eminger for around $900K. I can also see them brining back Gilroy, especially if they trade Roszival, because someone has to replace him.

White and Prospal don't really have to be replaced, per say, because they haven't really been in the line-up at all this season. Feds would have to be replaced by a rook for around $850K or so (Weise?).

So $8 million (worst case imo for the raises for Dubi, Cally, Boyle, Sauer, and Anisimov) + $900K (Eminger re-signed) + Weise ($700K / Feds replacement) + $1.3 million (McDonagh / Rozsival replacement) + Gilroy ($1.75 / prob. re-sign for same dollar amount he makes now) - $5 million Roszival trade = $7.65 million increase in salary.
Where is Boogaard going to play? Who is he going to replace in the lineup? You don't even know what the deal is with his concussion problems, and right now, I'd bet anything that the Rangers want to get rid of him badly. There are ways other than trading, and even that isn't implausible. A number of teams need to get to the cap floor somehow.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Where is Boogaard going to play? Who is he going to replace in the lineup? You don't even know what the deal is with his concussion problems, and right now, I'd bet anything that the Rangers want to get rid of him badly. There are ways other than trading, and even that isn't implausible. A number of teams need to get to the cap floor somehow.
I don't want him in the line-up. Even if the Rangers are to demote him to Hartford, he will still count against the summer cap. May be the concussion is so bad that he call's it quits. I don't wish that on him, but that is probably the only way the Rangers will be able to get rid of his cap hit.

Other teams wanting to get to the cap floor are only looking at next season, not another two years after next at $1.65 million per year. Those teams looking to get to the floor are looking for somewhat large expiring contracts.

Teams would not take Rolston at half price ($2.5 million per year for two years). I really don't see a team taking Boogard for three more years at $1.65 million.