Old
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Jay Feaster: "There's no plan to trade Jarome"

As per the Calgary Herald:

Quote:
Jay Feaster wants to make himself clear on all matters relating to Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla.

“There's no plan to trade Jarome,” the acting general manager said Wednesday, some 24 hours after taking over for Darryl Sutter. “There's no desire on my part to trade Jarome.”

Quote:
“No matter how many times I tell you, it will still be out there,” Feaster said. “You can write it tomorrow and put it in headlines, but it will still be out there.

“Again, that is nothing more than rumour. It's nothing more than conjecture about something. We have not talked about trading with Jarome.

“It's not one of the things that I intend to put in my plan to Ken (King.) There's no substance to it.”

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:32 PM
flames123

Feaster is a lawyer by trade and he will play with words. Just because he said we have not talked about trading Iginla, does not means he hasn't thought about, or intends to talk about.

Either way, I hope Iginla is a Flame for life.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

So what? If Dallas offers two firsts and Richards for Iginla, you take them up on it but the likely fact is, that there won't be a return considered acceptable by Feaster or the organization. The reason he's not on the table is partly fan loyalty, partly team loyalty to a great player but that loyalty only means so much if the return is big enough.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Flames 1st pick

Just a way to drive up the price if someone wants him

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

'There's no desire on my part to trade Jarome'

I can't imagine there's much 'want' to trade him; ideally, he wins a Stanley Cup and retires a Flame. But the reality might be such that if LA offered Brayden Schenn, Thomas Hickey and a 1st, Feaster would have to be high as a kite AND grossly incompetent to turn that offer down.

'Intellectually honest' was something they played over and over on the Fan; Feaster isn't going to delude himself into thinking this is a Cup team. But he can't say less than halfway through the year 'we're blowing it up' either, not if he expects people to show up and watch this team.

Hopefully he finds a way to move pieces like Regehr and Bourque for high returns and still manages to hold on to Iggy, but if we go into a full rebuild, I don't see how that can realistically happen.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
IMHO I don't think it's Feaster saying he won't, It's most likely that he was told it was not an option. I honestly don't see a rebuild coming, I see a major "re-tooling" where they keep Iginla, Tanguay, Bourque, Gio, Bouw, Backlund, and trade the rest to try get prospects or picks. If the Flames manage to fall far enough to draft Couturier, or even RNH, they would fastrack this re-tooling significantly, idk about you guys but i wouldnt be too unhappy if we had Couturier or RNH centering Iggy and Tangs, and Backlund centering Bourque and whoever else they might bring in.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:25 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Core beliefs for acting Flames GM

Quote:
“I know that fans are anxious to know, I know the media is anxious to know, but the reality of it is, there are 29 other teams who would very much like to know what you’re thinking. From a competitive standpoint, that’s not a good thing to do,” he said.

“In that regard, I’m not willing to talk about plans.

“That said, you don’t get asked to take this responsibility and given this opportunity and then not immediately begin to think about the things you want to do. From the time Ken asked me, you immediately put together your list of issues, concerns, things you want to focus on. That list is already in place and being developed on a continuous basis.”

Quote:
Another lesson is putting greater emphasis on drafting and developing.

“Not that I didn’t believe it was important then, but you have to make sure your scouting is dead, bang-on and is as top level as it can possibly be,” Feaster said. “We don’t have a second and third (round picks) as we talk right now, and I want to get a second and a third back at a minimum.

“I would very much like to go to the table with as many as we can reasonably have, because that is where we have to go.”

Quote:
“I love up-tempo. It forces the other team to make mistakes when you have guys that get in there on the forecheck, have guys that are aggressive, defencemen jumping into the play and pinching,” Feaster said.

“I want a team that’s fast, quick, mobile and is team-tough. In the Western Conference, we have to be tough to play against.”

Quote:
Then again, if the Flames do go on a winning spree and get into the playoff picture, the speed of the rebuild could change.

“If we go on a run and put ourselves in a solid playoff position, then we’re saying ‘OK, what do we realistically think we need to solidify where we are in the seeding or to win in the playoffs?’ And then it comes down to the price. If it’s a case of getting in and maybe win one round, but have to trade a this year’s first-round pick or next year’s second-round pick, that’s not something I believe in,” he said.

“We want to win now, but we also want to make sure we can win for a long time and compete at a high level. If we keep trading away draft picks, it makes it that much more difficult.”

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:34 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Really like what I am hearing from Feaster so far. A real breath of fresh air. He is going to try and get our picks back.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

He talks a great game. I like what I'm hearing. I'm anxious to see what kind of (if any) moves he makes.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
'There's no desire on my part to trade Jarome'

I can't imagine there's much 'want' to trade him; ideally, he wins a Stanley Cup and retires a Flame. But the reality might be such that if LA offered Brayden Schenn, Thomas Hickey and a 1st, Feaster would have to be high as a kite AND grossly incompetent to turn that offer down.

'Intellectually honest' was something they played over and over on the Fan; Feaster isn't going to delude himself into thinking this is a Cup team. But he can't say less than halfway through the year 'we're blowing it up' either, not if he expects people to show up and watch this team.

Hopefully he finds a way to move pieces like Regehr and Bourque for high returns and still manages to hold on to Iggy, but if we go into a full rebuild, I don't see how that can realistically happen.
Watching Schenn at the WJ, I'd take Iginla for Schenn straight up. We got Iginla for Nieuwendyk straight up and that helped Dallas win a cup, so why not go full circle with this thing. LA is an instant favorite with Iggy in the lineup, and Schenn could be a future franchise player like Iggy has been.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Watching Schenn at the WJ, I'd take Iginla for Schenn straight up. We got Iginla for Nieuwendyk straight up and that helped Dallas win a cup, so why not go full circle with this thing. LA is an instant favorite with Iggy in the lineup, and Schenn could be a future franchise player like Iggy has been.
this is not the same situation as Nieuwendyk... in that situation we had to move Nieuwy because he was about to walk as a free agent and we didn't have the money to keep him... and as seen in recent years a star player moved will garner much more than a prospect

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
this is not the same situation as Nieuwendyk... in that situation we had to move Nieuwy because he was about to walk as a free agent and we didn't have the money to keep him... and as seen in recent years a star player moved will garner much more than a prospect
If I remember right Nieuwy was selfish and wanted more money despite already being signed and refused to report to training camp. Something like that.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
If I remember right Nieuwy was selfish and wanted more money despite already being signed and refused to report to training camp. Something like that.
Exactly like that.

I like what Feaster is saying so far. Whether he can walk the walk is another matter - I guess time will tell.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

To me it doesn't matter that he is saying it is not in his plans to trade Iginla, because that is what he has to say no matter what. If he was planning on trading him, he could not come right out and say as such. However, I do believe him for now. He wants to reassure his players that no one from the core is going to be moved for the immediate future. But if the Flames continue to struggle, then all bets are off and admittedly his plan could change.

I like what he has to say as well, but I just think he needs competent hockey people around him to make quality and favorable personel moves that will benefit the Flames. So its good he has Brent to aid him in his decision making process. I do think Feaster will provide some newlife to the team, I would not at all be surprised to see this team go on a run just because of the culture change that has incurred.

Regarding his comment on the draft picks, how about Moss for a 2nd and Staios for a 3rd at the deadline?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:43 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

For some reason, with the press releases, the CBC interviews and the quotes in the Calgary Herald, I empathize with Gertrude when she said "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

I guess I should wait for someone to remind me that he'll keep his word or that there's no offense in such reassurances.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 03:08 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Schenn lights up Norway and you want him for Iginla straight up? Schenn is in the WJCs right now, remember, rather than in the professional leagues, as opposed to Tavares, Kane, Duchene, Hedman, MPS, and even OEL and Kadri who are good for a callup. All those guys are his fellow 2009 top 10 draft picks. The other 2 are Glennie and Cowen.

Being in the WJCs is not raising his stock at this point. I'm not really impressed at all. He shows up, gets his points, but I'm not seeing that special talent. Where is the clutch play?

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Orginally posted by MVW

To me it doesn't matter that he is saying it is not in his plans to trade Iginla, because that is what he has to say no matter what. If he was planning on trading him, he could not come right out and say as such. However, I do believe him for now. He wants to reassure his players that no one from the core is going to be moved for the immediate future. But if the Flames continue to struggle, then all bets are off and admittedly his plan could change.

I like what he has to say as well, but I just think he needs competent hockey people around him to make quality and favorable personel moves that will benefit the Flames. So its good he has Brent to aid him in his decision making process. I do think Feaster will provide some newlife to the team, I would not at all be surprised to see this team go on a run just because of the culture change that has incurred.
Well said MVW. Feaster is smart by saying he will keep the core and find ways to help the team get draft picks. He knows if he makes big trades with the core now and it fails he out of a job.

His best option is to figure out by deadline day if he should keep Forwards: Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross, Brendan Morrison, Craig Conroy, Defencemens: Steve Staios, Anton Babchuk, Adam Pardy and Goalies: Henrik Karlsson, As all these players contracts are up at the end of the season. If he looks at this list and decides he does not want to keep certain players he should try to see if he can trade them for picks and add a clause that if they resign with the team they were traded to they get a prospect. This would guarantee us some prospects for the future. The players we keep from this list will be evaluated during the second half of the season and some will be resigned and other will left to walk.

By the end of the season Feaster should have his plan on where the team is headed and what changes are needed to help make them a contender for the cup. If Ken King likes his vision then Feaster should have a say about the core of the team and if any should be traded.

Only time will tell what Feaster will do with the club. Hopefully he can turn the team from being a laughing stock of the league to where everyone wonders how did Feaster turn this team around to be contenders again.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote