HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Parent

Old
12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Let's put it this way: what does Vancouver want? Do they want to keep him as depth or for their AHL team, or by claiming him do we help them out since he makes a decent amount of money?

Whatever they want, do the opposite. Decision made. Boom.
Need the roster spot and cap space.

The Canucks don't need parent on the club or the moose really. I dunno, he could still develope into a decent defensive d-man but he's probobly a couple years away.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Hemsky4PM

Has Parent been that bad?

He's 23. Vancouver has a glut of good defensemen. Edmonton is without Whitney for a while and the depth in OKC is thin.

Even next season I'm talking about Parent as a replacement as a no.7 guy. The risk on the positive side is that he turns things around.

Gilbert-Peckham
Smid-Petry
Strudwick-Foster

That's a pretty thin 6. We are in fact only carrying 6 healthy dmen without Whitney and Vandermeer. Pick up Parent, when Vandermeer is ready, Petry can be returned to the AHL. Then Strudwick and Parent can swap in and out of the line-up based on their play.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Parent has more experience than Petry, and has more skill than Peckham. I just believe that a big part of this kids troubles have been because he hasn't been able to have that top 4 role. The reason I say 25 mintues is because I would pair him with Gilbert who would likely be our number 1 d-man.
IMO, his big problem is not that he's not been able to have a top 4 role or top minutes, it's that he handles the puck like a hand granade in his own zone and has major confidence issues. Putting him out there for 25 minutes a night to get eaten alive is not going to help him - the kid will absolutely implode.

I think you guys take him though (I hope you don't, we need the depth considering our history of injuries on D). At worst, he's a good stopgap for a month or so until someone better is available. But at this point in his career, Parent really needs to play significant time in the minors to get his career back on track and get some confidence. He doesn't look anything like a shutdown d-man - he looks like a guy you put out there to eat 10 minutes a game and pray he doesn't make a mistake.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Struckwick is better and has higher upside.

But he is soooo great in the lockerroom, and that's where you win the games...or something. This team is run by clowns.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 08:46 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Struckwick is better and has higher upside.

But he is soooo great in the lockerroom, and that's where you win the games...or something. This team is run by clowns.
Do you see better options on this depth chart?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
IMO, his big problem is not that he's not been able to have a top 4 role or top minutes, it's that he handles the puck like a hand granade in his own zone and has major confidence issues. Putting him out there for 25 minutes a night to get eaten alive is not going to help him - the kid will absolutely implode.

I think you guys take him though (I hope you don't, we need the depth considering our history of injuries on D). At worst, he's a good stopgap for a month or so until someone better is available. But at this point in his career, Parent really needs to play significant time in the minors to get his career back on track and get some confidence. He doesn't look anything like a shutdown d-man - he looks like a guy you put out there to eat 10 minutes a game and pray he doesn't make a mistake.
I don't disagree with you, but maybe there's another side to the coin. Most of the fans in Edmonton are being extremely lenient on the team this year. We were told it was going to be a rebuild and, generally speaking, we've kept our expectations in check. We begrudgingly accept poor performances from certain players, whereas if this was 05/06 they would be run out of town. For example, Cory Cross wasn't much worse than Strudwick, but he got boo'd mercilessly until he was finally traded.

So maybe Parent could benefit from playing on a team where he'd get minutes and be given some leash to make mistakes. The Oilers really have nothing to lose.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Has Parent been that bad?
The guy only played in 4 games this year for the Cannucks. Those must've been some pretty awful games for him to deserve the hate he's been getting around here.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I don't disagree with you, but maybe there's another side to the coin. Most of the fans in Edmonton are being extremely lenient on the team this year. We were told it was going to be a rebuild and, generally speaking, we've kept our expectations in check. We begrudgingly accept poor performances from certain players, whereas if this was 05/06 they would be run out of town. For example, Cory Cross wasn't much worse than Strudwick, but he got boo'd mercilessly until he was finally traded.

So maybe Parent could benefit from playing on a team where he'd get minutes and be given some leash to make mistakes. The Oilers really have nothing to lose.
Oh agree completely, that's why I think you guys will pick him up and it would be a good move. As I said, at absolutely worst he's a 1-2 month stopgap that you then again waive if he doesn't work out.

I do however think playing him over 20 minutes a game is a bad idea under any circumstance. He has zero ability or confidence with the puck anywhere near him and I really don't think giving him 25 minutes a game where he will be burned consistently is a good idea for Parent. Give him 3rd pairing minutes (14-15 minutes a game) and a long leash to make mistakes and I think under those circumstances, he could actually develop as a player in Edmonton. No reason to throw him into a role he is nowhere close to ready or capable for, even if he is better than Strudwick. He's still young and I think you develop him better by shielding him rather than throwing him to the wolves is all I was saying.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Hemsky4PM

At some point you have to show the players on the ice that management isn't out to lose all the time.

Picking up a player on waivers at least shows the club is trying to be less awful.

Regardless, we're finishing in the bottom 3 (probably bottom 2) in the standings. Parent is a free player with NHL experience.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Not to be a **** here dude, but those kind of things get worked out when a kid gets comfortable out there. He obviously isn't, but can fix that problem with ice time. The more he plays, the more he will learn to relax with the puck. This was a big problem for Tom Gilbert this year and Renney did the same thing with him, just kept force feeding him ice and in the last month or so he has been A LOT better. He gets ice, he gets more comfortable, he gets more confident. Another thing could be that he is trying to do too much in a limited role. He wouldn't have to do that if he had over 20 minutes a night.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Rafters

Shame he has not developed like was expected...he looked like a player in the WJHC ....not saying he is done but the clock is ticking

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

I'd be ok with the Oilers picking Parent up. I doubt Tambs pulls the trigger though.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He also went from one team with cap troubles to another. He's not the best defenseman in the world, but I think there are more than a few teams that would still have him in the NHL.

I think claming him would be a decent move, actually. Plus, he's from PA, SK.
you from that area? I am from Nipawin

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Jim Robson

We put him on waivers, JUST so you guys would pick him up...

Seriously, you don't want him. Let Parent go have a nice long career in the minors, he'll be way happier there. He just looked lost when we had him, and getting burned wasn't good for his head. Once he finds his confidence, then he's MAYBE worth a look, but not before his contract runs out.

Jim Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post

+1. this makes perfect sense

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
DisgruntledGoat

I wish Charlie Huddy was still around.

A 6'2, 200+ defenseman with reasonable skating? I think Huddy could coax a serviceable player out of that.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Mizral

I saw him play 3 times this year. Wasn't terribly impressed with his speed or his overall alertness, seemed kind of dopey out there and generally slow which is not good. On the other hand when he had the puck he looked like he knew what he wanted to do with it for the most part.

He's a guy who is guilty of 'watching the play' from what I've seen of him but obviously in the hands of the right coach I think he has the skill to play. Might need to work on his conditioning as well.

If the Oilers are looking for projects he certainly is one.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Usual_Suspect

Parent cleared

http://www.twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzi...95088099991552

Quote:
FLA puts Steve Reinprecht on waivers. VAN's Ryan Parent clears waivers.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
MerryJ99

He Cleared waivers...I am kind of surprised.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Usual_Suspect

Cue the Reinprecht thread?

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote