HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is it time for Leighton?

Old
12-30-2010, 01:17 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Leighton's going to come in, go 16-5 and save our season again!
He'll also have a shutout in his first 3 games back.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:44 AM
Dark One

Yes. Given his salary and cap hit, at some point he has to get a shot, even if it's to help facilitate a trade. Rostering 3 goalies simply isn't going to work, and at some point Leighton or Boosh is going to have to be dealt.

Dark One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
There's no harm that will be done if Leighton gets a start. Say he starts tomorrow against the Kings. Worst case scenario, he bombs and is pulled. It is a game against a Western Conference team so it isn't like sticking in a ? against Pitt. I know all games are worth two points, but a game against a Western team isn't the same as a game against a divisional or even conference opponent. Give Leighton a start, if healthy of course, and see how he does. If he sucks. Great, now we know he isn't ready and maybe send him down or just keep him on the bench. If he plays well and maybe Bob falters or Boosh goes on one of his patented 12 game tears where he can't stop a beach ball, ok work him in to some kind of rotation or something until someone emerges as the #1.
Sure there is... he could blow monkey ass and cost us 2 pts. In recent memory we've missed out on home ice and/or the division at the end of the season by 1 point.

You don't **** around just to give a guy a shot. While I think coaches have a tendency to overwork their starting goalies whilst riding the "hot hand," that doesn't mean you should throw a third guy out there with two better options just because.

Quote:
But keeping him on the bench just because he is Michael Leighton and you heard a rumor that his foot was numb a week ago is silly. The guy played well last season and deserves a shot to at least be the backup for this team. Personally, I hope that Bob's last two outings are nothing more than a flash in the pan and he is the true starter, but with a young kid from the KHL, you can't be too careful.
You know what's silly? What you just wrote there. Michael Leighton said his foot was numb, it ain't a *ing rumor. Seriously, get off the "because he's Michael Leighton" logic in defending him. That ain't the *ing reason people don't want him to start in net. They don't want him to start because there are better options.

It's really the most tiring drivel you can trot out there. There isn't some grand anti-Leighton agenda that is devoid of basis in reality. There really isn't. Maybe you don't agree with those that are critical of Leighton, but falling back on them being "haters" (which is what this logic is) is simply lazy bull ****.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:31 AM
BernieParent

Just to get back to you, DFF, I want to echo what Jester has stated in response to your posts (well, not the more emphatic answers). I'm no Leighton hater; I've defended his play even in portions of the SC finals. I will say that I am completely against going into the stretch run / playoffs with the same Leighton/Boucher tandem. If Leighton didn't have the back / numbness problems, I'd be of the same opinion that he and Boucher were pretty much equal. However:
- Leighton has not shown that he is over his injury
- Leighton's AHL play didn't exactly set the world on fire
- Boucher has been very good of late

Thus, at this moment, Boucher >> Leighton. And Bob, despite cooling off, is still a reasonable choice to stay with the big club, especially given how awful the Phantoms are. What also has to be taken into account is that Boucher is a FA after this season, while Leighton is signed for an additional year. So if Leighton were to be sent down, Holmgren must not pull another Randy Jones episode.

So I stand by my original post that I am not against Leighton being given a game or two to sink or swim. A decision has to be made.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:51 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah I also saw the quote when Leighton said his foot/leg was partly numb. It is real. It was a few weeks ago so hopefully he is over it, but knowing him he is lying to the coaching and medical staff

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah I also saw the quote when Leighton said his foot/leg was partly numb. It is real. It was a few weeks ago so hopefully he is over it, but knowing him he is lying to the coaching and medical staff
And I'd bet it wouldn't be the first time. How was his medical condition on June 30 (besides being good enough to sign a deal giving him a big-assed raise)?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:32 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

He's on my fantasy team, so I thought I'd add for you guys that it's looking like Leighton gets the nod tonight against LA..

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...s_tonight.html

..sink or swim, baby.. sink or swim.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:33 AM
MsWoof

I don't trust him at all. I think they must be able to do some tests where they poke pins in his foot without letting him see and that way he can't lie about it. Oh, and strap him to a lie detector to be sure!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:39 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
He's on my fantasy team, so I thought I'd add for you guys that it's looking like Leighton gets the nod tonight against LA..

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...s_tonight.html

..sink or swim, baby.. sink or swim.
**** off.

Not you. The powers that be who figure it's a good idea to start a ****** goalie who hasn't played in months and may or may not be able to feel his foot, against a team with Kopitar, Doughty, etc. etc. etc., without Pronger and with a less than 100% Timonen.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:15 PM
phillyfanatic

As president of the Michael Leighton fan club - I welcome him back with open arms. I don't care what name is on the back of the jersey, as long as they are giving us a chance to win. If that is Leighton, so be it. Either way - I will be cheering my ass off for him. Or Bob. Or Bouch. Or whoever gets the nod.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 03:35 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
As president of the Michael Leighton fan club - I welcome him back with open arms. I don't care what name is on the back of the jersey, as long as they are giving us a chance to win. If that is Leighton, so be it. Either way - I will be cheering my ass off for him. Or Bob. Or Bouch. Or whoever gets the nod.
None of us will celebrate when they score bad five hole goals on Leighton, we just won't be surprised either.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
None of us will celebrate when they score bad five hole goals on Leighton, we just won't be surprised either.
Not saying that! I just hope he proves people wrong this year. I will be cheering hard for leighton

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
captainpaxil

im a leighton hater. i just think he sux. its the right kinda suck for this team but i just wont be persuaded hes any good.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

FWIW, Boosh is backing up Leights in LA... Bob's not dressing per DNFlyers Tweet by Frank Seravalli.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sure there is... he could blow monkey ass and cost us 2 pts. In recent memory we've missed out on home ice and/or the division at the end of the season by 1 point.
Yes you are correct. But its one game and he has yet to play in the NHL this year. If he is still hurt, I agree, no point in forcing it. But if he is ok to play, there is just as good a shot of him letting in 10 goals as there is of Bob or Boosh doing the very same.

Quote:
You don't **** around just to give a guy a shot. While I think coaches have a tendency to overwork their starting goalies whilst riding the "hot hand," that doesn't mean you should throw a third guy out there with two better options just because.
It's not really ****ing around. It is a guy who played well last year and earned the shot. If he is healthy, why not put him in and see if he can repeat his success. If he bombs, it is only one game against a Western team. If he plays well, great, go from there.

Quote:
You know what's silly? What you just wrote there. Michael Leighton said his foot was numb, it ain't a *ing rumor. Seriously, get off the "because he's Michael Leighton" logic in defending him. That ain't the *ing reason people don't want him to start in net. They don't want him to start because there are better options.
Ok, great. When was that? A month ago? What did he say this morning? If he is healthy enough to play, let him play. Bob had a great start but has been slow the last two outings. Boosh has played well but he is Boosh. He gets real hot, then real cold. Playing Leighton once is not going to **** this team over.

Quote:
It's really the most tiring drivel you can trot out there. There isn't some grand anti-Leighton agenda that is devoid of basis in reality. There really isn't. Maybe you don't agree with those that are critical of Leighton, but falling back on them being "haters" (which is what this logic is) is simply lazy bull ****.
I don't care if you are critical of Leighton. I don't think he is better than he is. But it just seems like no matter what happens, everyone on this board will do everything in their power to take away from Leighton or to blame Leighton. Maybe it isn't true, but it really seems to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Just to get back to you, DFF, I want to echo what Jester has stated in response to your posts (well, not the more emphatic answers). I'm no Leighton hater; I've defended his play even in portions of the SC finals. I will say that I am completely against going into the stretch run / playoffs with the same Leighton/Boucher tandem. If Leighton didn't have the back / numbness problems, I'd be of the same opinion that he and Boucher were pretty much equal. However:
- Leighton has not shown that he is over his injury
- Leighton's AHL play didn't exactly set the world on fire
- Boucher has been very good of late
Those are valid points, for the most part. As far as the injury goes, if the trainer says he can play, he can play. End of story. Big deal if his AHL play didn't look to great, that is not unusual. When guys go down on conditioning stints they don't always dominate or light it up. It is just a conditioning stint to get the legs back. I agree that Boosh has been good as of late, but he is very hot and cold. Putting Leighton in here isn't going to change the way Boosh plays.

Quote:
Thus, at this moment, Boucher >> Leighton. And Bob, despite cooling off, is still a reasonable choice to stay with the big club, especially given how awful the Phantoms are. What also has to be taken into account is that Boucher is a FA after this season, while Leighton is signed for an additional year. So if Leighton were to be sent down, Holmgren must not pull another Randy Jones episode.

So I stand by my original post that I am not against Leighton being given a game or two to sink or swim. A decision has to be made.
I am not saying to send Boosh down or get rid of Bob, all I am saying is to give Leighton a shot. one game in net, win or lose, is not going to change the outcome of this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Not sure if this is serious, but I agree.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

And there is one more thing that maybe we should consider... The team has not played a solid and defensively tight game recently, and quite frankly, discipline has not been there and they have not played Flyers type hockey... It is not beyond a thinking coach's bag of tricks to use a jarring ploy to get the players back on track and play a tight game.

Can Lavy be putting Leighton in to have them come together with a common cause to concentrate and play disciplined game? It is easy to say that professionals should feel shame from a bad outing... and they should rally by themselves and come up with a good game... but that play didn't happen after they had their collective ***** handed to them against Florida as they were unprepared as they admit they were last night.

Maybe I'm reaching to suggest that Lavy may believe this is the perfect time to get Leighton back in for those reasons... but maybe it should be seriously considered. Am I reading too much into this, or is it much like when a goalie gets yanked mid game even if it is not his fault, but rather is to wake up the team in front of him?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Leighton doesnt deserve a job in the AHL, ECHL, SEL, SM-Liga, KHL, FEL, DEL, as a goaltending coach for a high school team, Bantam, Junior, Midget, Pee-Wee, or any other team, let alone a job in the NHL.

My god he is horrendous.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
DoomMF

Starting him out on the road against the high scoring Kings was probably a bad choice. Still, it's the NHL and you gotta put him in sometimes.

He outplayed Bernier. He's got that going for him and Bob's been spotty every ohter game lately it seems.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
A win is a win is a win. Good job Leighton, welcome back!

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:43 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Leighton doesnt deserve a job in the AHL, ECHL, SEL, SM-Liga, KHL, FEL, DEL, as a goaltending coach for a high school team, Bantam, Junior, Midget, Pee-Wee, or any other team, let alone a job in the NHL.

My god he is horrendous.

he actually did a good job. I saw 1 weak goal against him, but we won anyway so it doesn't matter. +2 to us.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Ryker

Well, one thing's for sure, after last night's game, we aren't any closer to a decision who of the three goalkeepers is going to be cut. Leighton with the W is sure to get other chances to play, whether we like it or not.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Garbage Goal

It is never time to play Leighton. Ever.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:06 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
There were also 2 brutal plays where he got lost, and luckily the D saved him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:06 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Yesterday felt nostalgic.

The kind of nostalgia that makes you want to drink heavily.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Kaktus*

imo we got a little lucky because LA were tired. 4 games in 5 nights is a tough thing to do for any team.

Leighton looked horrible.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote