HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(Part 2) #37: Flyers @ Kings - Thursday, Dec. 30, 2010

Old
12-31-2010, 02:42 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Boyfriend: I know you aren't comfortable but I really feel that anal will lead us to the next step in our relationship.

Girlfriend: ...
Then shelley appears from under your bedsheets...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:45 AM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
How did Gustafsson look? It looks like he didn't even play...
Well, I think one explains the other. Kimmo was good to go, so no Gustafsson.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Does anyone have this agne pvr'd? Just got home from a wild party and i guess our player crapped out. ******* hick-ups. HGappy to download the game. If possible, private message me.

Thanks.
Timmy.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:52 AM
chaosof99*

Apparently David Boreanaz, the guy who played Angel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, visited the Flyers locker room after the win. He grew up in Philly and is a big hockey fan.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 03:45 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Just got done watching the game. Seems like there was a fairly good contingent of Flyers fans at the game. Leighton scares me sometimes, but I don't think he was absolutely terrible considering how long it's been since he's played (in an NHL game at least).
Hartnell's face when they announced his goal stood was priceless.
Dan Carcillo: "I don't **** around!"
Wish I was a fly on the helmet during Richards' little tete a tete with Bernier. My guess from watching "Bull Durham" too many times is he called the guy a **** sucker.
Hat's off to Lavi for the interesting, odd, and creative line shuffling! While the lines may not have looked as cohesive as I would have liked, it definitely looked like they were at least trying to pay attention (which you have to do when you have completely new linemates), which seemed to be the problem the last couple games. Way to break them of their complacency Lavi!
The sound on the LA broadcast is ****ing terrible! The sounds on the ice and in the arena constantly drowned out the play by play. I couldn't hear the call at all anytime LA's goal horn went off.

Good game. Hope for a similar outcome tomorrow. Go Flyers!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 04:30 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Well, I think one explains the other. Kimmo was good to go, so no Gustafsson.
Ah ok, I missed the game (and apparently that kimmo played). Glad he is ok.

Old
12-31-2010, 06:32 AM

After approximately 6 months without a game, most goalies would be given a little leeway by the fans on their first game back. Not Leighton!

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 06:39 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
After approximately 6 months without a game, most goalies would be given a little leeway by the fans on their first game back. Not Leighton!
He looked better as the game went on, except for that way out of position brain fart he had that almost led to a GA. And that first goal was everything Michael Leighton... at least to the "Anti-Leighton Clan"... and they wouldn't be very wrong.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 06:47 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
It isn't really this game alone, it was his performance during the cup finals as well.

All he really is, is a big body in goal. He is pretty slow, and is terrible on angle shots (the last one that cost us the cup).

Old
12-31-2010, 06:47 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
The fact that the first goal was a carbon copy of Kane's probably didn't help. And his lateral movement is slow as hell.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:09 AM
kicksave27

Same leighton. Take up net, pray they don't make you move side to side, and awful positioning on sharp angle shots. He's just a shorter version of Steve Valliquette.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:15 AM
MsWoof

Leighton's positional play last season was terrible and after reading all the posts, I can see it hasn't changed. Bob and Boosh ftw!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Leighton is only good on the Flyers where the D can keep shots coming in from far away or muck up passing lanes. I'm happy to see we won, but I still don't rest easy with MFL in net. Then again, I'm glad to see we came to play today. Probably had something to do with having Leighton in net, which is certainly something worth considering.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So Leighton picked up the W and didn't look all that bad in his first game in six months. The first and fourth goal he should have stopped, but goals two and three there was nothing that could have been done. He certainly didn't win the starting job back with that performance, but I definitely don't think that he showed he isn't worthy of a spot on the roster.

I like how no one is pointing out all the turnovers in their own zone and poor defensive play that went on during the first two periods. In the third everyone (including Leighton) tightened up, but the first two periods were pretty ugly defensively. Against Vancouver everyone was harshing on the D because the Flyers let in so many goals, not the goalie. Here the D plays horrible and the Kings get 35+ shots and Leighton still gets the win and yet it is still all Leighton sucks blah blah blah. I know he didn't play great out there last night, but it was his first NHL game in 6 months against a good, high scoring ream, and Leighton picked up the W. What would you have liked to have happened?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:00 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
He has played a few games for the Phantoms if I'm not mistaken.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So Leighton picked up the W and didn't look all that bad in his first game in six months. The first and fourth goal he should have stopped, but goals two and three there was nothing that could have been done. He certainly didn't win the starting job back with that performance, but I definitely don't think that he showed he isn't worthy of a spot on the roster.

I like how no one is pointing out all the turnovers in their own zone and poor defensive play that went on during the first two periods. In the third everyone (including Leighton) tightened up, but the first two periods were pretty ugly defensively. Against Vancouver everyone was harshing on the D because the Flyers let in so many goals, not the goalie. Here the D plays horrible and the Kings get 35+ shots and Leighton still gets the win and yet it is still all Leighton sucks blah blah blah. I know he didn't play great out there last night, but it was his first NHL game in 6 months against a good, high scoring ream, and Leighton picked up the W. What would you have liked to have happened?
If the D in front of Leighton played the way they did in front to Boucher, the Kings would have won that game.

Yes, Leighton won. Doesn't change the fact that he didn't play well, and while part of that could be attributed to rust, we saw the same issues last night as we did last year. Slow lateral movement (although he may be slower now than he was last year), questionable positioning, and an inability to use his catching glove for more than a blocker.

If he has a spot on the roster, which of Bob or Boucher do you jettison? Leighton doesn't deserve a spot on the roster unless he earns it. No one does.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Jumping

Quote:
Boyfriend: I know you aren't comfortable but I really feel that anal will lead us to the next step in our relationship.

Girlfriend: ...
I'll get the strap on...

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:34 AM
healthyscratch

Yea c'mon guys, he just got out of surgery two days ago and started last night. So give the guy a break, he has some rust to shake off.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If the D in front of Leighton played the way they did in front to Boucher, the Kings would have won that game.

Yes, Leighton won. Doesn't change the fact that he didn't play well, and while part of that could be attributed to rust, we saw the same issues last night as we did last year. Slow lateral movement (although he may be slower now than he was last year), questionable positioning, and an inability to use his catching glove for more than a blocker.

If he has a spot on the roster, which of Bob or Boucher do you jettison? Leighton doesn't deserve a spot on the roster unless he earns it. No one does.
The D was equally as bad in the first two periods last night as they were in Vancouver. As for who would I get rid of, at this point no one. I didn't say Leighton deserves to be the starter or even the backup, but he deserves a shot. Last night he certainly didn't show anything that says he deserves a spot, but it also wasn't the type of showing where he ruled himself out of a spot. I would just play the hot hand until someone emerges as the #1 or someone plays so bad that they can't be considered a backup.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Rizzy13

hey guys... why'd zherdev only play 9 minutes??

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy13 View Post
hey guys... why'd zherdev only play 9 minutes??
Combination of having a slight thigh injury (missed some practice time on this trip)and frustrating Laviolette which in turn resulted in a benching when lines were changed. Likely more so the latter.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:14 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
The Nordic people didn't exist before Kimmo. He just got drunk one day while ****ing around with a time machine and banged every chick in Northern Europe 25,000 years ago.
Scientists refer to this as the Kimbrian explosion.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:18 AM
medicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Well, it's 7:46 AM here. I'll go make pancakes for breakfast.
Bake a cake in honor of former coach Stevens, put a toy coke machine on top with the words "This is how you do it!!"

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

Really? Did you even watch the game?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Scientists refer to this as the Kimbrian explosion.
The "Epic of Kimmo" is really going places.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote