HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle could be worth Matt Moulson $$$

Old
12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I know it's unlikely, but I just have the feeling Boyle and our "core" guys (maybe sans Dubi) may take shorter, cheaper contracts until Drury is off the books and we can afford to give them the money they should get.
I was thinking the same thing. These guys seem happy in NYR and are team players more than anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a solid pay increase, but nothing over the top so the Rangers had some breathing room.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You dont want to give this guy more than one year at a legitimate price until he proves he is the real deal and this year was not a fluke.

1 year, 2.2 million dollars. And thats if he finished the season with 20-25 goals.

Extending Callahan and Dubinsky long term is a bigger priority. Getting Boyle and Sauer and Anisimov their RFA extensions is slightly easier and less so .

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You dont want to give this guy more than one year at a legitimate price until he proves he is the real deal and this year was not a fluke.

1 year, 2.2 million dollars. And thats if he finished the season with 20-25 goals.

Extending Callahan and Dubinsky long term is a bigger priority. Getting Boyle and Sauer and Anisimov their RFA extensions is slightly easier and less so .
I think I'd offer him less than that... More like 1.65 mil. If you offer him $2.2 mil and he pots another 20 goals next season, the asking price starts approaching $3 mil on his next contract...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

If we're going to get him on a 2.2 mil cap hit, it better be for a 3 year deal. Even if he finishes with over 20 goals, he doesn't have that kind of leverage.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
If we're going to get him on a 2.2 mil cap hit, it better be for a 3 year deal.
Sather wouldn't commit that much cap space (and I don't blame him) to an unknown entity being is that this would be Boyle's first season with this kind of production....

Since Boyle is in kind of a unique situation, I think it's more important to look at his raise in terms of percentage over his previous salary, rather than trying to compare him to other players with similar goal production (since very few of them would have his type of history)... His current salary is $525K.... If he gets a 2 year deal around $1.7 mil per, that's over 300% raise.

Old
12-31-2010, 02:29 PM
XLJ

2 year contract probably around 1.5-1.75 per year should get it done. Boyle looks like he has the potential to be a good 3rd line center. Rangers do not need to overpay him. I think he has had 12 career goals before this season. He still needs to show he can play like this consistently year in year out.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I think he has had 12 career goals before this season. He still needs to show he can play like this consistently year in year out.
12 goals total yeah... Previous career high for a season was 4 goals.

Old
12-31-2010, 03:57 PM
NYR510

Show.

Me.

The.

Money.

Last edited by NYR510: 12-31-2010 at 04:30 PM.
NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its show me the money....show.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
NYR510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
its show me the money....show.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 04:51 PM
frozenrubber

Looking over the RFAs, Artem Anisimov isn't arbitration eligible so that is another possibility in giving the Rangers ~2 million in wiggleroom.

Outside of Artem signing an offershet, the Rangers can have a handshake deal worked out w/ Anisimov, and not sign it until the conclusion of camp. Basically just qualify his salary, and wait in signing him until the start of the season. Thus giving the Rangers ~2 million more dollars to work with under the summer payroll salary cap.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 12-31-2010 at 04:59 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Looking over the RFAs, Artem Anisimov isn't arbitration eligible so that is another possibility in giving the Rangers ~2 million in wiggleroom.

Outside of Artem signing an offershet, the Rangers can have a handshake deal worked out w/ Anisimov, and not sign it until the conclusion of camp. Basically just qualify his salary, and wait in signing him until the start of the season. Thus giving the Rangers ~2 million more dollars to work with under the summer payroll salary cap.
Yeah, that's not going to work. If he does not have a contract he cannot be in camp and play due to insurance reasons. The Rangers won't keep him out of camp just so they have $2 million extra in cap space.

He needs to be in camp the full time to get in the swing of things before the season starts. The Rangers are going to need a big season out of him the rest of this year and next.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sather wouldn't commit that much cap space (and I don't blame him) to an unknown entity being is that this would be Boyle's first season with this kind of production....

Since Boyle is in kind of a unique situation, I think it's more important to look at his raise in terms of percentage over his previous salary, rather than trying to compare him to other players with similar goal production (since very few of them would have his type of history)... His current salary is $525K.... If he gets a 2 year deal around $1.7 mil per, that's over 300% raise.
I agree. Boyle is having a breakout year, but it's impossible to tell if he will be able to improve on it in the future, much less maintaining this pace. Boyle (and his agent) are also going to have to factor in the fact that the CBA expires the summer after next. It might be better to sign for longer (certainly at least two years), rather than go for the highest payout possible and risk becoming a free agent in a summer that no teams are willing to sign UFAs given the uncertainty surrounding the labor contract.

Still, he deserves a decent bump in salary and S1.5 million ain't chopped liver!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 06:54 PM
eco's bones

What if Boyle hits for around 30 goals?--he's on a pace for that now and basically playing 3rd line with 3rd line type players.

Looking at the team so far--Gaborik and Frolov--the two players mostly figured on for goals have not produced to expectations. Other players--and Boyle being prominent among them have picked up the slack. Boyle hits 25 goals as a 3rd liner and he's making $2 mil next year at the least IMO--anyway no point in hurting feelings a season before he can go UFA.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No way Boyle should get more than 1.5 mill for a bunch of opportunistic and, for the most part, fluky goals. If he can do it again, then open up the books and pay him more.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 07:31 PM
darko

Something around 1.6 and 1.8 for a 1 year deal. Maybe 2 years but I wouldnt go any higher than 2. Let him show that this season isn't a fluke and then we can pay him accordingly.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 07:57 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No way Boyle should get more than 1.5 mill for a bunch of opportunistic and, for the most part, fluky goals. If he can do it again, then open up the books and pay him more.
Flukey? Well--maybe some. I can't say he's snakebit like Avery, Frolov--maybe Gaborik. Still he's on the 3rd ****ing line. He's not playing with the best players very much at all. He's playing with Prust and Fedotenko. If our 3rd line was producing like the usual 3rd lines we've had in the past we probably wouldn't even be a .500 team. That line has been carrying more than it's fair share of the load. Let's add in the other duties--penalty kill, blocking shots, hits--after all that's been Drury's m.o. the past couple seasons and his biggest supporters would justify giving him a new contract for how much?--a bit of a discount?-whatever that means--when the current one expires. Keeping in mind that Boyle has been getting some pwp time (though definitely not a first option) his skating and overall play has vastly improved from last season to this and it's very unlikely that's he's going to go back to being the Boyle we all used to dislike last season.

Anyway a last comment on the flukey goals. One reason he's scoring more is he's skating better. He's always had pretty good hands but he's scoring more also because he's getting his shots off quicker. His release has improved and that's the kind of stuff that fools goalies.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote